IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I suppose highscore in Pong would be 15-0 or so, depending on if your game counts to 11, 15 or 20 as some pointed out in tweets. Or otherwise those tweets are composed by bots picking titles from Atari's IP with generic questions. Up next: Which colour is your favorite Centipede?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's really starting to look like them trolling their fans and haters now. It's like Biffy and his, "Do gamers prefer peanut butter or jelly?" posts he liked to start with his puppets. I hope people realize that Atari's methods on social media have been intended to generate analytics that can show their name and certain search terms are appearing at sufficient volume to use that data to bolster their financial prospects, not to sell a device. It's exactly like boosting readership numbers on a magazine so you can charge more for ads. It doesn't matter that the boosted readership is from magazines sent to random households for free or printed and sent to the landfill. There's no evidence it's working.

IMG_0266.thumb.PNG.6ba32b9c4e35c5b21bbdd54deef5f50f.PNG

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 10/24/2019 at 6:55 AM, Benheck said:

No prototype = all monies raised get spent on development and nothing is left to fund manufacturing.

Seems like a major whiff to me. A grandma can get emulation going on a Raspberry Pi and your toaster can run Netflix these days. What's special about this device beyond the branding?

THAT is exactly the point of this thread.

People often buy Nike because of the brand. But Nike have built up the brand by generally creating something worth buying on a consistent basis. The Atari brand hasn't made anything worth buying for almost 30 years.

Although my daughter might have a different opinion as she used to love this game:

MyHorseandMe2.jpg.550cdbb8244ec99ffce050ac2d08824d.jpg

Nope. Still haven't made anything worth buying for almost 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Atari should have made super mini micro consoles, remember those Keychan Plug & Plays? they ran on a AAA battery Atari "made" them back in 2006?

This time why not just make one that takes super mini cartridges, get people to collect crappy games All over again, heck, they can even burry a thousand of the E.T ones as a viral add campaign, people can go and dig them up on Atari Hunt month

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, racerx said:

It's striking, comparing the number of reactions to those early FB posts compared to now.

Interest has absolutely cratered.

They only seem to get around 50 reaction/responses. Half are critiques and the other half are the shills in the cult group.

• Like 5

1867609490_Annotation2019-10-25091816.thumb.jpg.9a49822733e239b5dab07c9fb64bb009.jpg

From the backer comments, of course.

I know why the Atari collection is no longer available on mobile. That's what happens when your brand-custodian company doesn't have any in-house developers and needs to contract everything out. The backers should expect the same fly-by-night level of support for "AtariBox" if and when it comes out. That one-year warranty is going to be a ticking time bomb. Does anyone think "Atari" will continue to pay rent to XSolla if they're not making any money? Especially when they can't seem to keep a simple, software-only emulator available in the mobile app stores?

Since John is making a big deal of release dates, maybe we should have a little countdown. "Atari" has repeatedly stated that they are on schedule to ship to the early adopters in December 2019. To be maximally generous, let's say December 31 is the cutoff. They have 67 days left to move the needle two steps ahead in this timeline, through production and into shipping. To say nothing of their promise to "delivers unprecedented levels of flexibility and control that will help transform how we Interact with our TV’s, just as the original Atari 2600 did four decades ago."

1114503092_Annotation2019-10-25092547.thumb.jpg.e97584b49f1b70734affd64727358b54.jpg

In honor of John's heritage, here's the most appropriate 67 I could find. Please feel free to keep up the countdown without me, because all of us certainly have better things to do than to talk about this ridiculous failure. 

67.jpg.2b73ae20603309f54fa91d2bfaa100a6.jpg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

1867609490_Annotation2019-10-25091816.thumb.jpg.9a49822733e239b5dab07c9fb64bb009.jpg

From the backer comments, of course.

I know why the Atari collection is no longer available on mobile. That's what happens when your brand-custodian company doesn't have any in-house developers and needs to contract everything out. The backers should expect the same fly-by-night level of support for "AtariBox" if and when it comes out. That one-year warranty is going to be a ticking time bomb. Does anyone think "Atari" will continue to pay rent to XSolla if they're not making any money? Especially when they can't seem to keep a simple, software-only emulator available in the mobile app stores?

Since John is making a big deal of release dates, maybe we should have a little countdown. "Atari" has repeatedly stated that they are on schedule to ship to the early adopters in December 2019. To be maximally generous, let's say December 31 is the cutoff. They have 67 days left to move the needle two steps ahead in this timeline, through production and into shipping. To say nothing of their promise to "delivers unprecedented levels of flexibility and control that will help transform how we Interact with our TV’s, just as the original Atari 2600 did four decades ago."

1114503092_Annotation2019-10-25092547.thumb.jpg.e97584b49f1b70734affd64727358b54.jpg

In honor of John's heritage, here's the most appropriate 67 I could find. Please feel free to keep up the countdown without me, because all of us certainly have better things to do than to talk about this ridiculous failure. 

67.jpg.2b73ae20603309f54fa91d2bfaa100a6.jpg

Well to be really generous you could say like January 15th. Game announcements or something like that...

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Well to be really generous you could say like January 15th. Game announcements or something like that...

Why the expletive would anyone choose to be generous? Again and again, "Atari" has claimed December 2019, and that was after many self-inflicted public embarrassments. They already have three million dollars of donor money. What benefit of the doubt have they earned?

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Why the expletive would anyone choose to be generous? Again and again, "Atari" has claimed December 2019, and that was after many self-inflicted public embarrassments. They already have three million dollars of donor money. What benefit of the doubt have they earned?

Yep.  Eff 'em.  This is put up or shut up for Atari SA; either they actually ship or write that really difficult email to write.

I have no sympathy for them.  Not one iota.  That company is nothing but failure.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Well when they say December it isn't like they said a specific day like December 31st. So if that passes we need to stop being haters. Maybe we need to go back to school to learn when the end of December is? ?

• Haha 3