IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

There is no path to success here.

It's an emulator box at 3X+ the cost of the "mini" systems people like these days. In addition - let's be honest here - the "Overton Window" has long passed the Atari 2600 as the "nostalgia system of choice"

Compare this to the Ouya, which made 4X in crowdfunding, selling a box 1/3rd the cost of this, with Android compatibility and it STILL flopped.

Also 3m for development is chump change, and that's just for development. That 3m is also supposed to fund manufacture and delivery? Ha!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Benheck, I don't know how closely you've followed the story or this thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating things you know.

Atari claimed they only went to crowdfunding to "build a crowd".  Here's a side-by-side of that tweet with a later Fred Chesnais (CEO) quote, when he was specifically talking about the VCS:

82175178_Atariaresuchliars.thumb.png.5f9b3f8cd0403bfcf1d6707589be4db1.png

We've had a couple of young folks (Millennials?) say they supported it because they wanted to support a company that wasn't big like Microsoft or Sony.  Down with "the man", I guess.

Some backers say they want a good looking media/games PC and not a box or laptop.  A niche just wants a Linux box to tinker with.  

And of course, some people just put money into it because it will be "super valuable" and the "bomb-diggety":

image.png.f6a4c1220d981c0da52f2ff1bb125f75.png

On the skeptic's side, this post is evergreen:

On 11/27/2017 at 12:57 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

All I know is that I have a future financial decision to make: AtariBox or tacos?

I'm going with tacos. They have a better chance of reaching production, and also taste better than plastic.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

If Atari is just going to use a 3rd party videogame streaming service to deliver games through a subscription, does that mean they are going to stop releasing those plug & play At-games systems at nauseum?

Atari Box connecting to internet only to get games, this reminds me of thatTIGER NET JET product, as soon as servers go down it made those keys worthless. So when the servers will no longer authenticate the AtacoBox, what will be left? I hope Atari will release some permenant games for this consola.

From ANtStream website first page:
PLAY HUNDREDS OF RETRO GAMES
Our ever-expanding arcade games library includes classics of all genres. Stream retro games to your computer, console or mobile device. No downloads. No faff. Just pure instant fun.

=TIGER NET JET?

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Benheck said:

There is no path to success here.

It's an emulator box at 3X+ the cost of the "mini" systems people like these days. In addition - let's be honest here - the "Overton Window" has long passed the Atari 2600 as the "nostalgia system of choice"

Compare this to the Ouya, which made 4X in crowdfunding, selling a box 1/3rd the cost of this, with Android compatibility and it STILL flopped.

Also 3m for development is chump change, and that's just for development. That 3m is also supposed to fund manufacture and delivery? Ha!

The Ouya pre-sold 58,000 units, compared to the roughly 10,000 AtariVCS.  the Ouya crashed and burned because they didn't have a big enough user base to attract developers.  No developer is going to bother with a system with such low numbers.

• Like 1

Here's how many days remain in 2019. "Atari" promises delivery to its backers by December. SIXTY-FOOOUUUR!!!

5BC9B1DA-0D45-477F-8CFA-16B511D20AFF.thumb.jpeg.05077592ba29e103ac21eb428d1e6bd5.jpeg

The Nintendo 64 promised to deliver SGI workstation type graphics for the home, and it kind of did, in a low-res, blurry way, anyway. It had a small library of games, but it included a bunch of critical and sales success stories, including innovative 3D updates to old Mario and Zelda. I liked that they put "The Fun Machine" on the box. The 4-player party and FPS games were awesome and still hold up today. 

Meanwhile, "Atari" plans to throw in what will be an 4-year-old compilation of 40-year-old games, and maybe let you run Steam if you bring your own storage, input, and operating system. That's after preordering and a lengthy wait, of course. And Intellivision Amico's showrunner says that 3D FPS games are too complex for Grandma to control, and split screen gameplay would drive up the price of hardware. This is where we must pretend that Mario Kart splitscreen is too "hardcore" for a mainstream audience, and that someone really needs to fill that family-friendly gap. 

1996 was a good year for new consoles! 2019, maybe not so much!

C2232FAD-4968-4B53-99F4-E439E889C390.thumb.jpeg.95d9617f4ad58865c3ca5a96c270787f.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Here's how many days remain in 2019. "Atari" promises delivery to its backers by December. SIXTY-FOOOUUUR!!!

5BC9B1DA-0D45-477F-8CFA-16B511D20AFF.thumb.jpeg.05077592ba29e103ac21eb428d1e6bd5.jpeg

The Nintendo 64 promised to deliver SGI workstation type graphics for the home, and it kind of did, in a low-res, blurry way, anyway. It had a small library of games, but it included a bunch of critical and sales success stories, including innovative 3D updates to old Mario and Zelda. I liked that they put "The Fun Machine" on the box. The 4-player party and FPS games were awesome and still hold up today. 

Meanwhile, "Atari" plans to throw in what will be an 4-year-old compilation of 40-year-old games, and maybe let you run Steam if you bring your own storage, input, and operating system. That's after preordering and a lengthy wait, of course. And Intellivision Amico's showrunner says that 3D FPS games are too complex for Grandma to control, and split screen gameplay would drive up the price of hardware. This is where we must pretend that Mario Kart splitscreen is too "hardcore" for a mainstream audience, and that someone really needs to fill that family-friendly gap. 

1996 was a good year for new consoles! 2019, maybe not so much!

C2232FAD-4968-4B53-99F4-E439E889C390.thumb.jpeg.95d9617f4ad58865c3ca5a96c270787f.jpeg

LOL.  "Worst case". 

And 1996 did kick butt for games.  I went the Saturn route, and never regretted it.  It was the wrong piece of technology for the time, but I would argue its 2D games like Dragon Force have withstood the graphical test of time much better than most of the N64 and Playstation's 3D games. 

• Like 6

No, with this statement still being true, this mean that "machines are currently scheduled to start shipping in December."

I'm currently scheduled to win the Mega Millions Powerball Lottery in December myself.

Just like "the ATARI VCS project is proceeding according to its previously announced schedule."

I'd like to formally announce that I'm retiring at the end of this year, so I also will be proceeding according to my previously announced schedule. 

It's just that simple. What could go wrong?  

Dig the TRS-80s for the check-in terminals.

Edited by JBerel
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, JBerel said:

Just like "the ATARI VCS project is proceeding according to its previously announced schedule."

When I was looking for the screenshots in the above posts, I ran across a couple that reminded me of their "previously announced schedule".  The first was the "July 2019" Indiegogo campaign promise.  Then WalMart and Gamestop had Dec. 2019.  And now those are pushed back to March 2020.

And of course, we all know the original schedule from their IGG campaign:

post-39941-0-47473400-1555954254_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think it's like..."Succeed deliberately. F%@K Up all at once."

So their own best estimates had manufacturing completing in one quarter, shipping in the next quarter, and pre-orders arriving the quarter after that. 

That can mean only one thing......

Image result for thinking gif

Image result for confetti horn gif

Congratulations Backers!!!!  Your Atari VCS is in the mail!!!

• Haha 9

7 hours ago, OCAT said:

If Atari is just going to use a 3rd party videogame streaming service to deliver games through a subscription, does that mean they are going to stop releasing those plug & play At-games systems at nauseum?

Atari Box connecting to internet only to get games, this reminds me of thatTIGER NET JET product, as soon as servers go down it made those keys worthless. So when the servers will no longer authenticate the AtacoBox, what will be left? I hope Atari will release some permenant games for this consola.

From ANtStream website first page:
PLAY HUNDREDS OF RETRO GAMES
Our ever-expanding arcade games library includes classics of all genres. Stream retro games to your computer, console or mobile device. No downloads. No faff. Just pure instant fun.

=TIGER NET JET?

Hey now, that's unfair. 

The Tiger Net Jet did better than the Tacobox will ever do. 

Then again, I bet even the R-Zone did better. 

3 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

Hey now, that's unfair. 

The Tiger Net Jet did better than the Tacobox will ever do. 

Then again, I bet even the R-Zone did better. 

Wow... those are so obscure I had to Google them both.

Just like people will have to do for the Ataribox. And Fred. Both someday relegated to the trash heap of forgotten videogame failures.

On the plus side, some of the Wikipedia entry on the Net Jet can easily be repurposed for the Ataribox though:

...the Net Jet Ataribox itself can not play games on its own. It does not contain any circuity to display graphics, generate sound or a microprocessor to play games, instead it relies entirely on the host computer to act as the "game console".

The host computer for the Ataribox being the one in the shoebox, of course.

The R-Zone entry is likewise applicable:

David Jones of the Chicago Tribune called the R-Zone Ataribox "a waste of time and money" and... "The R-Zone Ataribox should be dumped into the trash can where it belongs".

Everything old is new again!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

And Intellivision Amico's showrunner says that 3D FPS games are too complex for Grandma to control, and split screen gameplay would drive up the price of hardware. This is where we must pretend that Mario Kart splitscreen is too "hardcore" for a mainstream audience, and that someone really needs to fill that family-friendly gap. 

Just curious if you have played the latest Mario Kart on Switch.  You think that is a casual game experience?  You don't think that is too hardcore for a mainstream audience?  It is anything but mainstream.  200 million hardcore gamers in the world yet 3 billion people play casual/mobile.  I can tell you that not many of them are paying for that subscription based Mario Kart on mobile.

Edited by Tommy Tallarico

On 10/26/2019 at 12:06 AM, frankodragon said:

Oh yes.  Another post from one of the dictators who think he's always right.

2127213491_wernerthefool.thumb.jpg.1cd20448429a16257bf3a28acd59feb9.jpg

Yes, the company that could literally take all of the cash they have and swim through it like Scrooge McDuck any time they want is "NOBODY," and their current console which is cartridge-based keeps selling incredibly well. From an article at TechCrunch, Oct. 17th 2019:

image.png.3aa8b9d38277f117afa5d7fcf88b655d.png

image.png.bfad592fe6970439bb5a42c608be1861.png

Which is 38 million more than the VCS has shipped and sold. But math & logic take a back seat in the bus to Andy's zealotry.

These shills really do live in another reality. 

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Just curious if you have played the latest Mario Kart on Switch.  You think that is a casual game experience?  You don't think that is too hardcore for a mainstream audience?  It is anything but mainstream.  200 million hardcore gamers in the world yet 3 billion people play casual/mobile.  I can tell you that not many of them are paying for that subscription based Mario Kart on mobile.

I'm guessing the Switch is basically the same as the WiiU one. I would agree that in some regards it is harder. However, I would argue that earlier versions were not so and would be easy for anyone to play.

That reminds me I need to play my GBA one. It has been awhile and I personally think it is one of the best versions that no one talks about.

I think there is a middle ground with the split screen stuff. 3D or not. Talk to Data East and do a remake of Caveman Games. That was always a favorite in my family. :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

I really don't have a dog in this particular fight.  I respect what you're trying to do, buuuuut...when I think "hardcore", Mario Kart doesn't come anywhere close.  You don't get much more mainstream than Mario.

My wife is one of those 3 billion casuals, and she has no interest, or knowledge of, Intellivision, past or future. One of the reasons mobile games do well is the portability.   Also because they are dirt cheap, or usually free if you avoid the microtransactions.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

My girlfriend is about as casual of a gamer as there is and she loves Mario Kart on the Switch.

• Like 4

problem with casual / mobile is you are never going to sell them a system, ask nintendo, they happened to do it once over a decade ago

grampa got to golf timmy got monkey ball, it was a huge success for a couple years everyone moved on and nintendo made 2 tablets of varying success ( switch being up for debate) keeping in mind consoles sold != console success

how many whee's got bought, a fuckton, how many games were sold past wee sports in comparison to its big boy pants competition? and left in a junk drawer at grandma's house along with her 720p plasma that no one cared about 1 year after it became cheap 

• Like 4