IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

16 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

So what do you think explains "Atari" stock going up 40% in one day? Sunspots? 

People are excited about the new console coming out. I am as well. We should be wishing it well; I would love to see a resurgence of these old companies making new consoles.
I'm not worried there will be a industry crash either because of it.

Really hoping Sega gets on it's feet again and makes a new console to rival Microsoft, Nintendo, etc.
I want the good old days of gaming back

• Haha 8
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Glad to hear it. The known facts are pretty damning as it is. As nice as it would be to have more inside scoops, it's not a good look to be making stuff up. Speculation is fun though! It's not like they're communicating enough to prove any of it wrong. See ?.

Could just be end of the fiscal year stuff, too. And for future claim chowder: Chinese New Year 2020 starts on Saturday, January 25. Production facilities start to wind down 2 weeks prior to that date. 

October 1 Readout of quarterly Shareholders meeting https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2019-10-01/atari-ordinary-extraordinary-general-shareholders-meeting-of-september-30-2019

October 8 Official Atari Medium Update https://medium.com/@atarivcs/atari-vcs-plastics-thermals-and-internals-f72e61897b81

October 8 The Register savage critique, with unnamed insiders calling it a shitshow https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/

October 8 Brief Statement from the company https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2019-10-08/atari-october-8th-2019-brief-statement

The October 8th statement was required because a public claim was made that they were aware they were not on schedule and wouldn't deliver as planned. That would put them in hot water, so their carefully worded statement skirted the legitimacy of the Register's claim, and simply said they're "proceeding" according to their previously announced (to shareholders) schedule, and all that is inherently uncertain.

The Medium update on the 8th was clearly a smokescreen for the Register article they knew was coming. 

The Shareholders meeting was where several new permissions were granted to do some tinkering with the stock (buyback, sell, issue new shares, etc.) The actions based on the huge volume on the 8th were probably related to those new permissions in some way, but the timing sure seems to indicate a reaction to the story just like their well times Medium release. I suspect it's all just the usual effort to keep the stock propped up as much as possible while they continue to drain their life support. When they miss their release schedule, they'll keep on with the carrot dangling at the end of the stick routine to try and sustain themselves for some other last ditch efforts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Noe Doyle said:

People are excited about the new console coming out. I am as well. We should be wishing it well; I would love to see a resurgence of these old companies making new consoles.

Really hoping Sega gets on it's feet again and makes a new console to rival Microsoft, Nintendo, etc.

Oh, the good ol' days. Unfortunately the economics do not support that, and the world has moved on long ago. Best to get over it. What Atari is making by their own words is not a console, but they got plenty of people to pay them up front.

People are really excited about this guy, and we should wish him well too. Remember today's 2 for 1 pre-order special.

Image result for disney head hunter

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, JBerel said:

When they miss their release schedule, they'll keep on with the carrot dangling at the end of the stick routine to try and sustain themselves for some other last ditch efforts.

Maybe they'd have more success if it was a taco on the end of their stick?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Noe Doyle said:

Want to play old Atari/Sega games?  Get a Flashback or Mini Classic...

Want a current console experience?  Get a Xbox or Playstation...

Want current experiences from Atari/Sega?  Get a time machine...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrMaddog said:

Want to play old Atari/Sega games?  Get a Flashback or Mini Classic...

Want a current console experience?  Get a Xbox or Playstation...

Want current experiences from Atari/Sega?  Get a time machine...

Yeah, I wasn't sure if his post was sarcasm or not.   I was a huge Sega fanboy throughout the 90's, but there's no way I'd buy a new console from them now.  Their new stuff is mediocre at best, and if a system has no first party support, what's the point?

It's kinda the same thing with the Atari VCS.   Yes, I have fond memories of the 2600 and 5200.  I have fond memories of playing Atari games in the arcade.   But just like Sega has to have an outside producer make a good Sonic game for them, this rendition of Atari has no link to the company that filled my childhood with joy.  

• Like 4

The funny thing is, Sega are probably doing better as a business nowadays than back when they made consoles and arcade games. It's just that resorts, pachinko and third-party games publishing isn't nearly as sexy or high-profile, especially outside Japan.

Also, getting back into the console business nowadays - at least properly rather than by making plug-and-play retro machines - is an astronomically expensive business. Sony wrote down about $3 billion for the development of the PS3, and Microsoft $100 million for the Xbox 1 controller alone, to give a couple of examples. On the sort of chump change Atari are operating with, it's either off-the-shelf tech in a new case or don't bother.

• Like 9

Would it be better to ignore this nonsense and just enjoy the Atari's we all have, because it doesn't matter to us?  Remember, even bad "news" is another eye set watching.  We should promote small taco places and trucks instead. 

• Like 7

Either UberStrategist is out, or Atari has told them to shut the hell up.

For the past week, the VCS Twitter, Facebook, and official subreddit have virtually gone dark. The single Reddit post assuring people they are still there could have come from anyone with access to the account.

My suspicion is that Atari finally noticed that every inane daily post was another invitation for critics to chime in, and muzzled the social media hacks.

• Like 7

Meanwhile, my company stock is over $120.00.  Who really cares about this crap, other than to make fun of it.  Do you really think you get something amazing?  I don't, I can glue an Atari logo on anything.  My wife is about to MacGuyver my brass handled cane, with those cool brass hex discs.

And?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Meanwhile, my company stock is over $120.00.  Who really cares about this crap, other than to make fun of it.  Do you really think you get something amazing?  I don't, I can glue an Atari logo on anything.  My wife is about to MacGuyver my brass handled cane, with those cool brass hex discs.

And?

yea ... but

ancient-aliens-1_0.png?DYrB0fPbawx2qOasD

Atari

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was just looking online through my local store flyers, I see discounted POLAROID branded Heavy Duty batteries. Yes the camera company that once was.
So if a name like Polaroid can now be used to hock carbon-zinc batteries in bulk, this should be an indication of how low CheeseGuy will take the name "Atari"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OCAT said:

I was just looking online through my local store flyers, I see discounted POLAROID branded Heavy Duty batteries. Yes the camera company that once was.
So if a name like Polaroid can now be used to hock carbon-zinc batteries in bulk, this should be an indication of how low CheeseGuy will take the name "Atari"

Funny you mention that.

In the past I bought some headphones with a Polaroid logo.  They were cheap ($5 if memory serves) and lasted about one Summer (mowing lawns) before they died.

Always a glutton for punishment I then bought some Blue Tooth speakers from "Polaroid".  They were about $20 and died within a couple of months from very little use.  I took them back to Big Lots! and the girl behind the counter instantly gave me a refund and said, "Anything with the name Polaroid is just crap". (True Quote)

As for this?...I believe they're half a smidgeon (Or should I say Pigeon?)  away from becoming the Polaroid of video games...

That said, I was fine with them licensing the name for things like Flashbacks, which are fine for what they are, or maybe things like stickers or T-shirts.  IF we ignore all of their stupid lawsuits, and crowdfunding, and (OK, I'll stop here);  I didn't have a real problem with this until they said it would be called a "VCS".  (Of all the stupid ideas...Hell, why not remake the Charlie's Angels movie while you're at it?)  Now I'm happy to watch it burn!

One last thing,  when the stock price jumped, whether from stock buybacks (to boost earning per share on the books) or whatever reason,  I just hope those who owned the stock... Sold!  Nutari's problem has always been volume,...Seems to me it's an easy stock to buy (someone's always selling), but good luck when you want to sell it (Often no one's buying)...

• Like 4