IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Below is the video of the Atari-related ABIC speech. Let me save you a click:  It only relates to Atari because this guy is the creator of the Atari Token.  Everything else is within his short speech about how awesome he is and "disruptive technology" and using Bitcoin-like currency to fund projects instead of going to venture capitalists.  When pointed out to Marss it had nothing to do with Atari Token or the Atari VCS, he gave a wink that it is related.

image.png.8832fb1a03c9f832977ccde8763ed7ff.png

Here's the time stamp(~8hrs, 44min):

https://youtu.be/T9TV12zx3RM?t=31486

The only thing I found significant was how very cult-like his language sounded.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Summing up the whole Atari strategy so far (for anyone lost in the hundreds of pages of tacos):

1. Crowdfund an unconsole with a Fuji logo on it

2. ?????????????

3. Profit!

In regards to the next update that they are working tirelessly on (haha, sure), let's be extraordinarily generous and say that the update does provide exactly what the VCShills have been hoping for: a shipping date in December, and an SDK for devs. Granted, the latter is something that should have been handed out last year, but it's ok, it's an unconsole! Revolutionary! Synergy!

Best case scenario I can still see here is:

They receive their Atari Vault players from Santa. Many things don't work or are unstable, particularly Steam, since the Shills made it clear that they were willing to become the beta tester guinea pigs for this thing, Atari wanted to spend as little as possible to get something working, so it turns on, but is a mess.

As such, it crashes frequently, some of them have the VCS version of the "Red Ring of Death" and get to experience the joys of trying to return their system for a working model. Many backers are "shocked" that the 32GB of on-system storage won't allow for much else to fit on the system after they install the 20GB of Borderlands 2 on there. Some external hard drives don't work, as again, no one thought to test it out, and your every day VCS backer doesn't have a clue as to how to configure things in Linux.

Antstream launches on the platform, but the steaming issues that the PC version has are compounded by a ton of background overhead on the VCS being dedicated to mining digital currency.

No one from the AAA, AA or A-grade game development business becomes interested in having their reputations damaged by being attached to the VCS, so Atari glosses over the issues by touting emulators and Antstream, despite numerous issues that people have in getting anything to work right. Atari rushes some of their recent catalog of flops (Star Raiders 2013, Yar's Revenge 2011, Haunted House: Cryptic Graves) to say they've got something, but then it just highlights at how terrible Atari's recent output has been.

All that gets swept under the rug by the Shills as "we knew we'd be helping create something revolutionary! I love POOOOONG!"

But the problems are so numerous, that "more time is needed" to hash things out, so the general release gets pushed back indefinitely. The VCS becomes a footnote in WTF gaming history and the next half-baked scam from Atari comes along to further milk nostalgia from a rusty nail.

Am I missing anything? :P

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Summing up the whole Atari strategy so far (for anyone lost in the hundreds of pages of tacos):

1. Crowdfund an unconsole with a Fuji logo on it

2. ?????????????

3. Profit!

In regards to the next update that they are working tirelessly on (haha, sure), let's be extraordinarily generous and say that the update does provide exactly what the VCShills have been hoping for: a shipping date in December, and an SDK for devs. Granted, the latter is something that should have been handed out last year, but it's ok, it's an unconsole! Revolutionary! Synergy!

Best case scenario I can still see here is:

They receive their Atari Vault players from Santa. Many things don't work or are unstable, particularly Steam, since the Shills made it clear that they were willing to become the beta tester guinea pigs for this thing, Atari wanted to spend as little as possible to get something working, so it turns on, but is a mess.

As such, it crashes frequently, some of them have the VCS version of the "Red Ring of Death" and get to experience the joys of trying to return their system for a working model. Many backers are "shocked" that the 32GB of on-system storage won't allow for much else to fit on the system after they install the 20GB of Borderlands 2 on there. Some external hard drives don't work, as again, no one thought to test it out, and your every day VCS backer doesn't have a clue as to how to configure things in Linux.

Antstream launches on the platform, but the steaming issues that the PC version has are compounded by a ton of background overhead on the VCS being dedicated to mining digital currency.

No one from the AAA, AA or A-grade game development business becomes interested in having their reputations damaged by being attached to the VCS, so Atari glosses over the issues by touting emulators and Antstream, despite numerous issues that people have in getting anything to work right. Atari rushes some of their recent catalog of flops (Star Raiders 2013, Yar's Revenge 2011, Haunted House: Cryptic Graves) to say they've got something, but then it just highlights at how terrible Atari's recent output has been.

All that gets swept under the rug by the Shills as "we knew we'd be helping create something revolutionary! I love POOOOONG!"

But the problems are so numerous, that "more time is needed" to hash things out, so the general release gets pushed back indefinitely. The VCS becomes a footnote in WTF gaming history and the next half-baked scam from Atari comes along to further milk nostalgia from a rusty nail.

Am I missing anything? :P

DING ! I think we have a winner ! Tell 'em what he's won...

Random computer parts to build his own VCS !

12th of forever.jpg

P.S. They seemed to have skipped step 2 & went right to step 3 as they have folks money already...

Edited by Woulfe
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Woulfe said:

DING ! I think we have a winner ! Tell 'em what he's won...

Random computer parts to build his own VCS !

P.S. They seemed to have skipped step 2 & went right to step 3 as they have folks money already...

I'M SO EXCITED! WITH A GARBAGE BAG FULL OF COMPUTER PARTS, I HAVE FULL FREEDOM TO MAKE WHATEVER ATARI-BRANDED UNCONSOLE I CAN DREAM OF!!!

Priceisright Dead GIF - Priceisright Dead GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

There's nothing blockchain can do for games that can't be achieved with a traditional database. "Atari" wanted to appear innovative and on the cutting edge of something, for as long as they could. Their desperation is sad to watch. 

Yeah, they were grasping at every little straw they could to be "hip" again, because when you say Atari people instantly think about really old videogames and arcades. When you say Blockchain people instantly think about super-modern advanced stuff.

The suits over at Atari saw a chance to rebrand themselves as cutting edge, cool and modern by starting to fart out buzzwords like "blockchain" and the other suits over at the stock market responded positively for a time.

The whole hype around blockchain is almost surreal. Sure, it can do a lot of cool things, but when my workplace (I drive a big rig) starts getting ads about how blockchain can improve the trucking business I just get tired.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Why are the "Atari" faithful so into it? That I don't know. Because it's newer than Pong and Centipede, I guess. 

419955201_PNGimage.thumb.png.7fc11c1cede574756c883a75815154aa.png

Because they don't know what it is. They just think it sounds cool. 

But really, what I want to know is what blockchain can do for tacos. Surely that's the more important issue here. 

3 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Funny if someone actually uses sandbox mode for installing Windows, Linux, etc. and it completely bricks everything including Atari Vault they promised.

Well, bootloaders and partitions aren't entirely beginner-friendly (even though they have improved a lot in that regard over the years), so it's entirely possible that they might damage it beyond their abilities to repair it (and considering the level of intelligence some of the VCS faithful have, that "might" is likely to be a "will"). 

Something else to keep in mind is that their stock OS is already Linux anyway, and as such will likely eat up at least 10GB (you can go lighter with Linux, obviously, but if anyone thinks those goons will do anything but slap Ubuntu or some other Debian derivative on there, stock apps and all, they have another thing coming).

Though I hope they just stick an unconfigured Arch Linux on there just to mess with people. 

Anyway, the NAND/eMMC/whateveryouwanttocallit is 32GB at best, if I recall correctly. If there's a smaller storage size option (don't remember, don't care), that thing is going to be useless without an extra drive. 

Finally, something not mentioned about the prototype board that I keep forgetting to bring up is that it has an M.2 slot on it. That means your expandable storage must be an M.2 NVMe SSD.

Now, I prefer those and try to exclusively use them for storage these days (too many failed HDDs), but they're more expensive than regular SSDs (usually), and significantly more expensive than hard drives. They're also overkill for most users. 

With no 2.5" drive support, that's already limiting expandability (and making it more costly).

And then there's the other slot on the board which looks like a U.2 slot, which you'd use for a wireless card.

Which means that they might not even have sourced their networking chips yet, and so it may not even be able to do WiFi and Bluetooth (the latter being required for the controllers) right now... assuming it can even power on, let alone POST or boot an OS. 

There is no way in hell this will ship in December. Winning the lottery whilst being struck by lightning is more likely. 

Edited by TankedThomas
Forgot mean comment about Arch Linux.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Funny if someone actually uses sandbox mode for installing Windows, Linux, etc. and it completely bricks everything including Atari Vault they promised.

I'm certain that will happen, and the Xsolla support team will need to talk pigeon-people thru system restores, or (once only) warranty hardware replacements. 

If you can't trust someone not to throw away three Franklins on magic beans, how can you trust them to boot Windows or Linux from an external drive without lighting themselves on fire?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Finally, something not mentioned about the prototype board that I keep forgetting to bring up is that it has an M.2 slot on it. That means your expandable storage must be an M.2 NVMe SSD.

M2 slot doesnt mean it has to be a NVMe drive, it could be sata which is the same cost as a 2.5 inch sata drive, and depending on what key configuration may not even support the PCI express NVMe drives at all 

earlier this summer I was given about 6 SATA M2 drives and was having trouble selling them at 30 bucks a pop for 256 gig units most of them going for best offers of near 20. 

quick rant, if your system has a bootable M2 slot and you use a 2.5 inch you should be mocked, it drives me nuts that all the nice computer cases these days omit the "antiquated" optical media options but have no less than 38 2.5 inch drive locations ... sorry GTA5 didn't come on 2.5 inch sata drives, it came on DVD when my best internet was 1MB/s and looking at a 60+ gig game /rant

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 5:04 PM, Max Ivi said:

yep I was in Punta Cana during 2 weeks and I have open my eyes ...

Atari play with us ... and I'm tired ... always soon, very soon, pretty soon, but Nothing ... No Atari Token, no Games, No blockchain Virt-U ...

... I'm shareholder and I'm boring

I see you've closed your eyes again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shawn said:

So what do you guys think will happen if\when they don't ship anything in December?

Realistically, the die hard backers just go and call people "entitled babies" for having the audacity to want the product they paid for when they were told it would be ready.

For a lot of them, I think reality will set in though.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I think it will take a very long time, once their denial sets in.  The most vocal of them have now gone from "investors" to "true believers."  Both financially and emotionally, they're heavily invested in the illusion of "that Ataribox?", especially after all this time digging in and making excuses and hurling ridicule at the "haters" and "nonbelievers."  If they were ever to reassess the past, too much would collapse, so they'll stubbornly resist and keep their heads in the sand no matter what happens.  "Atari" could ship them a carton of Ramen noodles with an apology scrawled on a Post-it-Note, and they'll never say a word about it, because they'd rather lose every penny than admit publicly that they were so spectacularly wrong, or that the "haters" were right all along.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I think it will take a very long time, once their denial sets in.  The most vocal of them have now gone from "investors" to "true believers."  Both financially and emotionally, they're heavily invested in the illusion of "that Ataribox?", especially after all this time digging in and making excuses and hurling ridicule at the "haters" and "nonbelievers."  If they were ever to reassess the past, too much would collapse, so they'll stubbornly resist and keep their heads in the sand no matter what happens.  "Atari" could ship them a carton of Ramen noodles with an apology scrawled on a Post-it-Note, and they'll never say a word about it, because they'd rather lose every penny than admit publicly that they were so spectacularly wrong, or that the "haters" were right all along.

cas in point

1963973643_ScreenShot2019-11-09at4_17_03PM.png.1071471dd0f32fe2ccae94f539979921.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Realistically, the die hard backers just go and call people "entitled babies" for having the audacity to want the product they paid for when they were told it would be ready.

The try hards in the supporter group will say as long as they get it right that it is okay (Despite it already being less than it was advertised).

Others like 'ole Maxi will hit the wall of being done and crapped on.

Then John P. will burn it down.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

cas in point

1963973643_ScreenShot2019-11-09at4_17_03PM.png.1071471dd0f32fe2ccae94f539979921.png

Well, yeah.  Those are two of the worst case scenarios.   I think the regular people who thought this was Atari was coming back and aren't posting all the time are probably already a little nervous.  The Werner Brothers have accused people of being entitled just because they ask to see game play footage. 

• Like 3