IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Ya know,   When we sometimes talk about them shipping something to the backers by December,  I'm thinking that assumes the ONLY problem they have is manufacturing and/or production,...I could be wrong and way off base here,..I mean who knows what goes on behind closed doors? (I don't and I'm willing to admit I don't know) ...But I think they will, or have had, problems with the following before they even get to production and manufacturing:   Random Problems with The thermals, the case, the software, the GUI, the Ecosystem, The OS, The G A M E S !!, The Devs, The Blockchain (Ha!), The Streaming, The Dreaming, the Certification, The Tooling, The Tools (running the show),  The Lack of Games (Oh right Atari Vault + Anteater or whatever it's called), More Software stuff, More Computer stuff..."unconsole" stuff ...T H E N they can get to the problems with Manufacturing/Production...

• Like 6

^ Yes.  When "Atari" finally manages to ship something, the "true believers" will no doubt gloat about it, and it will be the most fun they ever get out of owning "that Ataribox?".  But, as we've pointed out before ...

On 6/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, jaybird3rd said:

The argument hasn't been that they will release *nothing*, but that what they finally *do* release will fail to live up to the hype, because KookyFrenchGuyAtari does not have the necessary talent or resources to create anything sufficiently different from other alternatives to justify the $3M that they raised from crowdfunding. When "that Ataribox?" finally does shipwhatever it ends up beingand when the True Believers inevitably claim that this somehow "proves the naysayers wrong," they will only be setting up a straw man.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I think I'll ready a care package for John Phelan...I'm thinking a teddy bear, a blanket, and a case of Stout should suffice, maybe throw in an Atari cart he doesn't already own...

John P just needs a raspberry pi and someone to set it up for him.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

^ Yes.  When "Atari" finally manages to ship something, the "true believers" will no doubt gloat about it, and it will be the most fun they ever get out of owning "that Ataribox?".  But, as we've pointed out before ...

Yeah see when we say something like scam they get their panties twisted thinking we are saying it isn't coming out. But instead have been saying it should easily come out but is underwhelming for what it is. But even they have made that basic PC process hard.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

John P just needs a raspberry pi and someone to set it up for him.

Just be sure that the case includes an Atari logo with a white LED behind it.  Since the logo is the only thing about "that Ataribox?" that is in any way unique to it, that is essentially what John P. and the others are paying for anyway.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Scotterpop said:

Just 51 days left! Maybe we should all storm NotMyAtari headquarters in France on New Year’s Eve and demand to see the VCS. If we Pitfall run, they can’t stop us all! ?

Of course you should! I'll show you a great restaurant for tacos in Paris!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Don't forget external storage via USB, according to the IGG page.  

Installing Windows on a USB drive is Mission: Impossible, and though it can be done with Linux, I'm not convinced any of these backers realise 1GB USB drives are no longer cutting-edge, nor do I believe they have an inkling of how to download and setup Linux. 

So, you know, if Fred and co. manage to get USB storage working (it works by default on any modern Linux distro, but I can't help thinking they'll find a way to still screw it up), then the three backers who know how to use it will get some benefit from it before they realise they could have bought a proper computer for the price and get one of those instead. 

18 hours ago, Osgeld said:

M2 slot doesnt mean it has to be a NVMe drive, it could be sata which is the same cost as a 2.5 inch sata drive, and depending on what key configuration may not even support the PCI express NVMe drives at all 

earlier this summer I was given about 6 SATA M2 drives and was having trouble selling them at 30 bucks a pop for 256 gig units most of them going for best offers of near 20. 

quick rant, if your system has a bootable M2 slot and you use a 2.5 inch you should be mocked, it drives me nuts that all the nice computer cases these days omit the "antiquated" optical media options but have no less than 38 2.5 inch drive locations ... sorry GTA5 didn't come on 2.5 inch sata drives, it came on DVD when my best internet was 1MB/s and looking at a 60+ gig game /rant

It appears to be an M-key M.2 slot to me, so that would be NVMe. SATA M.2 is old and I don't even think it's being produced any more (though I believe some of the older MacBooks used them, including my own, but Apple's always a special case anyway). 

Besides, most motherboards never supported SATA M.2, the format never had the large storage sizes and speed that NVMe has, and as you pointed out, it's rather worthless now. If Atari SA used a SATA M.2 slot, the Tacobox would be even more dead in the water than it already is. 

As for using 2.5" SATA drives over NVMe, there are still legitimate use cases, especially when it comes to price. The faster 500GB NVMe drives are almost double the price of their SATA counterparts, and though there are similarly-priced NVMe drives, the SATA ones tend to go on sale more often. 

Once you get into the 1TB+ range, NVMe is pretty much double the price, period. Prices are coming down slowly but I wish they'd hurry up already. I had another hard drive fail on me a couple of weeks ago, and that was after I was already done with wanting to use HDDs. 

Anyway, sorry to get too technical and take it off-topic. The TL;DR is that Atari has basically done everything wrong. But then again, you all knew that already. 

I am determined to have tacos this week or next though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

I'm thinking "Atari" will be sending out "parting gifts" when it comes to not fulfilling their promise of an Atacobox.

atacobox_parting_gifts.thumb.jpg.7205fcbe6f2994829567acef0a9c843d.jpg

Maybe they should add that ceramic dog from the old Wheel of Fortune ? ... Remember that thing?   Whenever anybody got through with buying the prizes they wanted,  they always got stuck with that stupid dog!

Lpe38-1456951892-719-blog-Wheel%20of%20F

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

I'm thinking "Atari" will be sending out "parting gifts" when it comes to not fulfilling their promise of an Atacobox.

atacobox_parting_gifts.thumb.jpg.7205fcbe6f2994829567acef0a9c843d.jpg

Or they'll give them the Weird Al version. Just rename it as "I lost on IGG...baby"

(the line about making yourself bringing shame onto your family for generations to come definitely applies to the Wanker Bros.)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

Maybe they should add that ceramic dog from the old Wheel of Fortune ? ... Remember that thing?   Whenever anybody got through with buying the prizes they wanted,  they always got stuck with that stupid dog!

Lpe38-1456951892-719-blog-Wheel%20of%20F

It would be much more valuable than an Atacobox.  :lol:   It was originally priced at $154 back in 1975 on WOF.  At today's prices, it would be over $700.

• Like 5

If they admit they need time to "craft" another update... I guess they also own a brewery so they like that term... I think that means another delay. 

Even though I gave them money and I regret it, part of me wants this to completely go bad and nobody get anything so the die-hards get nothing. 

I guess this whole thing has left me cynical.

I think John P is the only person I will feel bad for when they finally admit this has become a scam.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TACODON said:

If they admit they need time to "craft" another update... I guess they also own a brewery so they like that term... I think that means another delay. 

Even though I gave them money and I regret it, part of me wants this to completely go bad and nobody get anything so the die-hards get nothing. 

I guess this whole thing has left me cynical.

I think John P is the only person I will feel bad for when they finally admit this has become a scam.

So yew don't feel bad for yourself? o w o