IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Since the Wanker Bros. just love to compare Atari to mega-corps like Apple, let's take a look at how the multi-billion $$$ entity of Google is handling the launch of their new Stadia platform:

https://phandroid.com/2019/11/14/google-stadia-will-launch-missing-many-of-its-expected-features/

But I'm sure that Atari, with just enough money to keep jetting Fred around for pointless hype appearances, definitely has the cash and brains to be able to live up to their hardware promises (where Google can't).

Right? 

• Haha 2

Stadia launch dev: Game makers are worried “Google is just going to cancel it”

Google has a long and well-documented historyof launching new services only to shut them down a few months or years later. And with the launch of Stadia imminent, one launch game developer has acknowledged the prevalence of concerns about that history among her fellow developers while also downplaying their seriousness in light of Stadia's potential.

"The biggest complaint most developers have with Stadia is the fear that Google is just going to cancel it," Gwen Frey, developer of Stadia launch puzzle game Kine, told GamesIndustry.bizin recently published comments. "Nobody ever says, 'Oh, it's not going to work,' or 'Streaming isn't the future.' Everyone accepts that streaming is pretty much inevitable. The biggest concern with Stadia is that it might not exist."

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Yeah, I'm aware of Google's lousy track record of supporting their hardware. Just pointing out that if a mega-corp like them can't fulfill all of their promises, then it's absurd to think that Atari, with little money and a record of lying, is going to pull that magical rabbit out of the hat where everything works/is included as promised.

For the Atari VCS, we should've had headlines that read: "Game makers unable to even get a response from Atari on developing for the VCS, must be a hoax." 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, I'm aware of Google's lousy track record of supporting their hardware. Just pointing out that if a mega-corp like them can't fulfill all of their promises, then it's absurd to think that Atari, with little money and a record of lying, is going to pull that magical rabbit out of the hat where everything works/is included as promised.

For the Atari VCS, we should've had headlines that read: "Game makers unable to even get a response from Atari on developing for the VCS, must be a hoax." 

I keep staring at Mike Arzt's Twitter feed, waiting for the magic to happen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

"Atari" said they'd ship to backers in December 2019. How many days left in the year?

833701556_ScreenShot2019-11-14at3_41_30PM.thumb.png.fd6a305f56f567d0c43d1929f9f5cda4.png

Well...hold on a second.  Remember when Atari promised a big update by the end of summer?  On the very last day of summer, there was no big announcement, so all the backers were convinced it MUST be that day.  When fall rolled in, and there was no big announcement, the backers with fully developed brains realized they'd be lied to (again).  Atari simply countered by saying that even though they said "by the end of summer", what they meant was "late summer-ish."   So, even though they said the backers are getting their systems this December, it might be "December 2019, more or less."

And what WAS the big games announcement Atari made this late summer-ish?  Was it Ant Stream?  Because uh...that's pretty underwhelming.  When April 2020 rolls around and backers still don't have their system, you can bet the Werner-stapo will telling everyone how stupid and entitled they are for being upset they still don't have their system 4 months after the promised delivery date.  And furthermore, anyone who criticizes Atari should go make their own system if they think it's so easy.  Also we're all dumbasses who Atari should sue for slander, Atari Age should be shut down, and TommyT is a monster who eats children.

Edited by Agillig
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Just to give you an example of the problems the most vocal of supporters have. Here is a guy complaining about how nice people are in the other group.

1483592025_ScreenShot2019-11-14at10_41_30AM.png.684a96e85c076fc2eded689ced176af4.png.f8d96e39af2a0f553412886a56e13c6e.png

Let me help Miguel with something because he is obviously lacking in mental health knowledge and diagnosis. Here is the criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder. 

1874672302_NPDisorder.thumb.jpg.63704229b4f0840ad39f28d2d2b276cb.jpg

For fun lets use the supporter's group leader Mr. Wiener as an example...

Alright we need at least 5 of these.

- Gradiose sense of self-importance: Yes

- Evidence: Constantly on the troll hunt. It is HIS duty to tell his truth and shut up anyone who doesn't like how things are run at Atari. This is a task that has no importance as he is not actively making a difference in any positive way. His attitude and group has ostracized more people than it has gathered. We could argue there are what 5 people who actively post? (BH, AW, SW, LC, MLtp, AB) If his role was that important it would be gathering way more traffic and posts. Posts that don't involve the word troll.

-Preoccupation with fantasies: No   - Yes I know the fantasy of the VCS being anything other than a turd is just that a fantasy. But this is about HIM, not his dumb and erroneous beliefs. Also I don't want to take the time to get to know an asshole on that level to know what his fantasies are. If you do, I feel sorry for you.

- Belief that personal uniqueness renders.... status: Yes

-Evidence: Loves that VCS group joined. Is a gatekeeper of the group. Meaning if you disagree with him you are not fit to have a conversation with him. Hates all of AA because of ONE thread. Let me say that again....ONE thread. His belief is that he is unique in that only he sees the truth. All others who differ are trolls and liars.

- Need for excessive admiration: Hm, I am struggling with this one. He definitely has things set up to show he is the gatekeeper of his deemed truth. Is it enough though? Probably not but he isn't far away from it.

- Sense of entitlement: Yes

-Evidence: Easy the special treatment of that part is a hard yes. Gets furious if you question him. You DO NOT question him. You tow the line or if you question/critique something you get the ban hammer. Loves his circle jerk echo chamber. You find information that in contrary he will get mad and assume it is a lie. This is due to his fragile nature of thinking he should know it first. Doing this will probably also get you the ban hammer.

- Exploitation of others: Hm, I'm kind of struggling with this one too. Not sure if sending Miguel and Lucas C into the other group is enough for that. Obviously, they were looking to do something with how Miguel reacted to being treated nicely. I'm going to say no on this as there isn't enough information to suggest he  made them go.

- Lack of empathy: Yes

-Evidence: This is an easy one. He has no understanding of why some of the backers are tired of the shit show, why they are upset about having given money and had delays and still don't have a product. Shows a severe lack of care to want to understand that side. It is his thoughts and his only. None other matters.

- Envies or think others Envy: Ooo, this is a good one. He does seem to have a big problem with there being another supporter group that he can't circle jerk too. He plays it off that there is another group because they aren't real supporters and probably envy not being let in or kicked out of the 'Berlin Wall'. I really want to say yes on this one but I think there needs to be slightly more evidence on this.

-Arrogance: Yes

-Evidence: Easy yes yes yes. He loves to use the ban hammer, he thinks his thoughts are the one and true way. He is not humble in the slightest. That is a an easy yes.

So where is the tally? Do we have 5? Let us count:

Yes: Grandiose, Uniqueness, Entitlement, Empathy, Arrogance

That my dear friends meets the criteria to diagnose Narcissistic Personality Disorder. There are also a couple other criteria that are on the borderline almost making it 7. I hope Miguel has learned something from this exercise and cares enough that he gets Mr. Weiner the help he needs.

Mr. Weiner

Diagnosis: Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Treatment Plan: A steady flow of good, hearty, and delicious M'Fn Tacos!

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Just to give you an example of the problems the most vocal of supporters have. Here is a guy complaining about how nice people are in the other group.

1483592025_ScreenShot2019-11-14at10_41_30AM.png.684a96e85c076fc2eded689ced176af4.png.f8d96e39af2a0f553412886a56e13c6e.png

Again with the anti-French accusations.   I've never heard anyone criticize this project for the nationality of the owners.   For what it's worth, I thought Atari was rubbish in the 90's as well.  If you get a chance, track down a scan of the interview Next Generation game magazine did of Samuel Tramiel.  Their business stategy was to sue Sega and take Sony to court for dumping imported products.   Sounds like Fred inherited Atari's old playbook.

Sam's assessment of the Jaguar to the Saturn and Playstation was gold also.  If I remember correctly, he put it ahead of Saturn and just below the Playstation.   Look, I'm not bashing the Jaguar, but there's something to be said about playing to the strength of your product. 1993 Atari had an actual product on shelves and I'd give them poor marks.   What chance does 2019 Atari have?

Trip Hawkins is another one who interviewed poorly in Next Generation, but I digress.  The whole "protectionist" excuse really chaps my hide because it's nothing more than a cheap cop out.  Are we really expecting to give Atari a free pass on their lies because they live in a different country?  Get bent, Miguel.  You deserve to be ripped off of your 300 dollars.

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Phantom_of_Krankor said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.2cbbf7e69cf76bfd7d7f258926cebca9.JPG

I dont get the hype for the Atari VCS. Yeah its a new item by Atari with a bunch of games and fake add ons. I got my Atari 2600 right here, it takes real cartridges. So why bother with the VCS when there is all in one carts and emulators?

He asked for a response, so I ended up giving him one. ;D

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

With leadership like this, how could they fail?

giphy.gif

Ahhhhhh.  The infamous 'Dictator Smile'.  They start off with ruthless unwavering driven purpose .... then they go bat-shit crazy!

allsmiles.gif.88a76a03c81edfea92113ba82c694d70.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Everything Pat said in this video can be translated to the AtariVCS, anyone find it weird that Pat is wearing a gold Atari Tshirt?

This video clearly shows that personal responsibility, or lack thereof is why people in suits can easily run amok with people's money, no one asked any questions, "news outlets" today are just a bunch of bloggers leaching off the chump change and add revenue big companies throw at them, no investigative journalism is ever done, just mindless repeating of "press releases"

Hey check this out, Any idiot can make a press release, watch this "TACOS ARE GREAT! EAT THEM"

People with money burning a hole in pockets is another reason why clowns end up with obscene amounts of money to invest in a dream, even though most of these people are just marketers and have 0 overview of what it takes to make a game console. If someone has to explain it to you, you already have failed.
I had to chop up a fallen tree about 10 days ago. The person with the Chainsaw was unable to start the thing, was wearing NO SAFETY GEAR, this is a case where if you cannot even start the thing you have NO BUSINESS using it, only bad things will come of it. Giving someone power they did not earn or take the time to learn is very disaterous.

This IndieKickstarter was right off the heels of the coleco scameleon, Everybody should have been skeptical and call out this BS.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/22/atari_lempty_box

Remember the article Theregister did? out of context you cannot even tell if it is Mike Kennedy or Artz answering the questions because both are so clueless and inept...

"What happens if we plug this into our laptop, we ask Mike. I don't know, he says. Will it work? I don't know. If we plug it into a different games machine, will it work? No. So it's custom hardware and software? I don't know about that.

Mike doesn't know lots of things about the AtariVCS – standing for Atari video computer system – which is odd because he's the exec in charge of it. But for those things he doesn't know, he makes up for with all the things he does know. None of which he can tell us about."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1924288843_ScreenShot2019-11-15at8_24_23AM.thumb.png.283bda89078f48ce4865e7d1811529ad.png

I agree with Tommy, it's not as if "Atari" is playing 5-dimensional chess. Keeping quiet because they have nothing to say is not "strategy," it's just ineptitude. 

I mean just look at this nonsense, from way back in April 2018

Does that mean you're no longer crowdfunding this?

Michael Arzt: I didn't say that! But the thing to understand about our approach to crowdfunding is that - it's not really so much crowdfunding as it is... there's a lot of ways to use crowdfunding. We're looking at this as an opportunity. It's about fan service, and it's about community. Taking a crowdfunding approach - the very first one, it's this wooden [box], it's going to be special, it's going to be about catering to our biggest, most nostalgic fans, and giving them an opportunity to give us feedback on this as we're building it, before it's too late and are locked and baked. And there's a lot of things we're not sure about that the crowdfunding process will give us an opportunity to do.

If they're keeping their mouths shut because every time Arzt says anything, he steps in a pile of his own horse shit, that's not "strategy." 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Pretty sure that if they had anything substantial, they'd rush to show it off.  They'd do so not to counter skeptics, but to try to boost sales.

Everything is a prop in their Kubuki theater of crowdfunded console competence.

Pretty much. This time last year, "hey look, wood!" and their faux workbench full of bullshit gears for their joystick prototypes, which have yet to be seen in public. 

848909565_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_06_58AM.thumb.png.4b1932ad114a77621225226d5320a275.png

1882359293_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_07_25AM.thumb.png.71e7e1103de49938bb1873a25c48ed09.png

• Like 5

"Atari" seems to have slacked off from deleting comments made by their paying IGG backers, but I'll memorialize this just in case. 

760318843_ScreenShot2019-11-15at10_16_05AM.thumb.png.af4c6823041eea6ce254fd032af7fe32.png

Remember, these are their fans, the people who put up money for a product sight unseen, just because of the sales pitch. You can tell things are going south fast when the biggest fans are voicing their doubts. It's been too long to give "Atari" the benefit of the doubt. 

The Flashback X is a real product, and only costs $50. Maybe "Atari" can send multiple mini-consoles to the backers, so they can give them to family and friends or something. 

• Like 5