IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Instead of my usual critical posts, I am going to try a 180 and instead join the Atari media team. I shall now come up with interesting answers to basic questions that I fully support them picking up and using in the next update, as it will probably be the last in the 45 days leading up to this momentus occasion. So please add to the list, don't be shy, after all this is all our Atari baby.

1) What exacty will be running inside of this box?
- It is an FPGA ARM based system, 40GB of RAM and 2TB solid state storage (exact specifications may be adjusted in the final build)

2) How far has development come along since your main Architech left the project?
- We are putting the final touches on the system, crossing the "i"'s and dotting the "T"'s, we got this.

3) Will there be a launch party for the system?
-Yes there will be lunch

4) Will there be Tacos?
-every system will have a coupon for a Taco, we want to bring the party to you!

5) Sources in the media say that this is all smoke and mirrors & you plan to dissapear without a trace, what do you have to say to that?
-WE are buseness men, we stand on Atari's reputation, we will blow away all the naysayers

6) What is 1+1?
-Two weeks.

7) Will there be any early review units sent out to Youtubers & tech sites?
-Sorry this is top secret, we cannot risk lost patents just for an eary review

8) How many developers do you have ready with launch titles?
We have many.

9) Where will we see the first review proof model?
- you can check out Mike Kennedy's website for a review, no relation.

10) Any final words to send to the backers?
-Yes, be rest assured we spent the entire 2 million Dollars in your best interest, we hold ourselves accountable.
Bomb Biggety.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Not sure when they released it, but ASROCK finally came out with their 4"x4" form factor barebone mini-PCs.  We'd previously mentioned the press releases.

Box-4x4 R1000v, $309.99, same AMD R1505G (3.3MHz, dual-core, Vega 3) as the low-end AtariVCS 400.

Box-4x4 V1000m, $409.99, different AMD V1605B (3.6MHz 4-core CPU, Vega 8 ) than AtariVCS 800's R1606G (3.5MHz dual-core, Vega 3 ).

The AVCS 400 comes with 4GB RAM, the 800 with 8GB RAM.  The Box is barebones and needs RAM and storage.

Pros:   Smaller footprint, DIY, might be room for SSD inside, actually exists.

Cons:  More expensive, DIY, lacks Fuji and woodgrain options. 

No Borderlands 2 to compare to CNET's AVCS footage, but here's the Vega 8 Borderlands 3 benchmarks:

image.png.951fc9769df5ab06d8328822ae04540c.png

• Thanks 5

Wow, I guess 720p is reasonable enough, but beyond that, yikes! Considering you can get 4K resolutions in that game on the existing consoles (albeit using a variable refresh rate), that does not bode well. It's like a Little Leaguer trying to compete in the Majors.

• Like 6

Watch for the marketing mouthpieces as they try to make lemonade of this. 

????????????????????????????

"We aren't trying to compete with the big companies, we are doing our own thing!"

"Some of the best games ever made were in very constrained environments. That brings out creativity! The Atari 2600 only had 128 bytes of RAM."

"We are all about creativity and fun, you can't play specs."

"Quality is more important that quantity, we are very choosy about what will run on the Atari VCS."

"You can upgrade the RAM and storage!"

"The sandbox environment of Atari VCS allows for unprecedented freedom, a PC-like experience in a cool retro-style case!"

"You're only limited by your own imagination. What other console allows you to create your own games?"

"Fun casual games don't need a lot of power, Atari VCS is cheaper than most smartphones, and only our machine has the classic controller that everyone loves!"

"It's neither a PC nor a console, so you shouldn't compare it to them. It's an un-console!"

????????????????????????????

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Wow, I guess 720p is reasonable enough, but beyond that, yikes! Considering you can get 4K resolutions in that game on the existing consoles (albeit using a variable refresh rate), that does not bode well. It's like a Little Leaguer trying to compete in the Majors.

They've been touting 4K since the start -- without specifying streaming va gameplay. 720p is fine for a $50 toy like AtGames Flashback Legends. It's just weak and sad for a $250+ not-quite-a-PC that has no software ecosystem. 

"Game, stream, and connect -- like never before!"

• Like 5

Yeah, and that's on the more powerful APU that's not even available on the AtariVCS.  

I can't find if the "Vega 3" and "RX Vega 3" are the same graphics chip, but here's notebook check's benchmark page for the RX Vega 3: 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-3-GPU.278652.0.html

I know the burning question is, "Does it do Fortnite?"

Why, yes, it does:

Screenshot_20191118-031734.thumb.png.9f1cae5925bdcdea673d5a92489f783b.png

Just to compare with the ASRock's pricier Box 4x4 model again, here are the RX Vega 8 benchmarks:

Screenshot_20191118-032703.thumb.png.1a2a9603ba56c92cc81833c195b9af00.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I suppose someone could argue that playing Fortnite with the settings turned way down is kind of Atari-like, but that would not be a compliment. 

So it looks like Andy did some late-night soul searching. These are from the IGG comments, of course. 

711157788_Screenshot2019-11-18at6_46_46AM.thumb.png.497b6aea899cb291fcab6f21ae7e9699.png

One of us! One of us! Gobble, gobble!

1581655810_Screenshot2019-11-18at6_47_51AM.thumb.png.0684b0478df0ca22b1d13d434c728461.png

Well, if ATARI VCS costs more than an Xbone or PS4, but is limited to simple or slower stuff, it's hard to see it doing very well at retail. OUYA was at retail for a while, too. 

1207764990_Screenshot2019-11-18at6_49_33AM.thumb.png.321550f635938eb91afde7a707343463.png

If you're already talking about re-purposing this unreleased system, it's as good as given that's what going to happen if/when this thing finally comes out. A trial separation prior to the honeymoon is not a good indicator for future success. 

I don't get the excitement over "1st-party" AT ALL. "Atari" outsources everything because they have no inside talent. This is done by design to reduce headcount and overhead costs. Even the old, real Atari did it. The 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar? Atari didn't design or manufacture those themselves. Licensed 3rd party stuff is just the way they roll. Atari Vault was developed by Code Mystics. The only thing "Atari" contributed to that product is the license for someone else to make it. They also take a cut of sales. ATARI VCS is even less of a first-party effort than those older works-for-hire. 

1404586606_Screenshot2019-11-18at6_54_01AM.thumb.png.a35a7b7352b98b0e260f566aa095cbcc.png

Oh yes, the RedEye report, released soon after Atari SA was listed on the Swedish stock exchange, is something to see. They point out that most of Atari's IP has not been exploited, which makes them an "attractive acquisition target." Exactly the kind of thing that Fred would love to hear, n'est-ce pas?

197941565_Screenshot2019-11-18at6_57_20AM.thumb.png.75be57ccc6abb1426012f6220462e0ae.png

This report from August is a downward revision from an older, longer report they posted a few months prior. That one makes a ton of HILARIOUS projections about ATARI VCS sales and Atari stock value, and is worth its own series of posts. Teaser: they anticipated annual sales of ATARI VCS to top 50,000 unit sales per year (including the IGG preorders), with year-over-year growth! These figures are based on the retail success of Atari Flashback, which sells for a fraction of the price and has far less complexity for users.

Comparing that RedEye report with this one will be fun. Maybe I'll get to that later today. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll point and say HA-HA. 

2143915765_Screenshot2019-11-18at7_03_28AM.thumb.png.22d2cbfeee797e7c932a32889fad6b90.png

One of these RedEye reports makes a big show of "Atari" no longer being dependent on console licenses, since mobile gaming has much lower barriers to entry. But late developments from "Atari?" Knock me over with a feather. 

Anyway, welcome to the domain of facts and evidence, Andy Blakely. Come on in, the water's fine. Grab some tacos from our never-ending buffet and we'll share some tequila. 

giphy.gif

• Like 8

^^^ Remember when Sony touted OtherOS on the Playstation3, I expect a similar outcome for this alleged console.

Atari VCS SandBox mode YAY!, oh yea we are removing the Sandbox Mode feature mainly because the system does not exist & never has, so if you want a Sandbox mode on the Atari VCS we suggest you all go out to your local beach or playground late at night & liberate some sand, then proceed to dump that sand into the empty shell of the AtariBox that we will be shipping you. Sorry.

On a side note, it is good to have plenty of sand available, as sand can be used to put out dumpster fires

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^^^ Remember when Sony touted OtherOS on the Playstation3, I expect a similar outcome for this alleged console.

Rob Wyatt spoke at length about the PS3 Other OS option in one of their Medium rants, almost exactly one year ago. He implied that if only they had offered full access to the GPU and the root of the system, things would have been different. 

Outside of our world, we will support users installing other operating systems. Very much like the original PS3, but without any hardware restrictions. If you want to install full Ubuntu, complete with the desktop then go for it — this will never be the standard use case because people who want to do this already can. 99% of users just want to turn the box on and use it. Playing into the small percentage who want to mess with the box is a great move, but it’s just a small group.

I agree with him, it's a niche of a niche of a niche, and it's odd that he spent so much time and effort talking about it every chance he got. 1% of 12,000 buyers is 120 people. That's probably about the same number of unique commenters in the IndieGogo feed for the project. "Atari" makes no money from people using VCS as a repurposed Linux box. VCS offers nothing that a similarly spec'ed PC could not do, except maybe the retro-charming case, which resembles a late 1970s alarm clock. 

Those bold-face words (operating system, and Ubuntu) were hyperlinks, as if Rob were explaining computers to a small child. This is the thing that's supposed to "de-mystify" emulators for a larger audience.

They really don't think much of the backers and customers. 

lYJsbSO.thumb.jpg.d50e871108e5e1a5b2742e8f9b8f3bda.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Yeah, and that's on the more powerful APU that's not even available on the AtariVCS.  

I can't find if the "Vega 3" and "RX Vega 3" are the same graphics chip, but here's notebook check's benchmark page for the RX Vega 3: 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-3-GPU.278652.0.html

I know the burning question is, "Does it do Fortnite?"

Why, yes, it does:

Screenshot_20191118-031734.thumb.png.9f1cae5925bdcdea673d5a92489f783b.png

Just to compare with the ASRock's pricier Box 4x4 model again, here are the RX Vega 8 benchmarks:

As the author of Fortnite For Dummies, I can tell you that Fortnite players LOVE low frame rates when playing Battle Royale. It gives them that extra edge towards a Victory Royale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, frankodragon said:

197941565_Screenshot2019-11-18at6_57_20AM.thumb.png.75be57ccc6abb1426012f6220462e0ae.png

"Hidden" assets?  Maybe that's why Wyatt had his hands in his pants all along before he quit.

hands_in_pants_man.jpg.ff305a0d10ed701ab012d3d46eaaef74.jpg

"Acquisition target" huh?  Well, there it is.   They are looking for a buy out like we've said all along.   Not exactly the mindset of someone who is in it for the long haul.  Even one of the Werner brothers picked up on this on the cult page.  

What is sad is John Phelan and a few of the others are hoping that if the VCS is a success, Atari will release a VCS 2 in a few years.   Poor guys really got taken.  

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

"Acquisition target" huh?  Well, there it is.   They are looking for a buy out like we've said all along.   Not exactly the mindset of someone who is in it for the long haul.  Even one of the Werner brothers picked up on this on the cult page.  

What is sad is John Phelan and a few of the others are hoping that if the VCS is a success, Atari will release a VCS 2 in a few years.   Poor guys really got taken.  

A few of us suspected this was the plan all along, just took them long enough to confirm that this was the plan, eh ? 

As for the folks being taken for a ride and not seeing the forest through the trees...

There's a reason the old saying "A fool & his money" is still relevant in this day & age

• Like 4