IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Everybody just cool your jets. Atari has a ton of stuff they're working on based on the mountain of promises they've made. (In between taping stacks of cash to their bodies.)

"The Atari VCS team will continue to keep backers and fans posted on major developments and will publish an updated project schedule as soon as we finalize it with the factory and all stakeholders. More generally, we look forward to sharing a variety of other Atari VCS updates over the next few months, such as news about design architecture, distribution partnerships, peripherals and accessory updates, game and media partnerships and other content, VCS user experience, on-screen dashboard and storefront, service offerings, and of course, more specifics about the new AMD APU and its impact.

We look forward to showing off some of these modern gameplay examples and other great content publicly later this summer.

Everything remains subject to additional changes and finalization before finished products reach users’ hands. We have done, and always will do, our very best to provide the most complete and accurate updates possible."

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

About to make a relatively deep cut of a reference, but I feel I have to if for no other reason than to entertain and confuse anyone reading the thread.

I cannot help but to think of Fred Chesnais and the Atari Gamebox LLC members as Armondo Guitierrez and his armed goons, and the TacoBox backers are the Douglas family tied up, oblivious to where they are or to Guitierrez's true intent, about to be forced to watch a Marty Ingels tape. Maybe El Reg's source will Freak Out and give the armed goons a good ol' fashioned wrassle.

I know, I'm a huge nut. At least I'm not the network exec who decided to give Sinbad another special... Fifteen years after he was last relevant.

And now back to our regularly scheduled tacos, already in progress.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

So what is the latest excuse?
let me guess...
CEO Mr. CheeseTaco slipped on a banana peel & has to delay until 2021?
but promises it will be better refined? more features that were promised, then removed now added again?

Possibly Quantum computing you say? BlockheadChain launch titles you say?
Blow the nerds out of thier trousers you say?

Mr. Cheesetaco, do you have anything to say in your defence? your silence will only incriminate you further...
(in the court of public opinion)

• Like 5

So, Taco Bell opened their first store in New Zealand a few weeks back. It's about half an hour from me so I haven't been yet but my brother said the queues are still about half an hour of wait time (though that was just over a week ago now, so it might be better).

They're planning to open more soon (hopefully one a bit closer to home), but I'll go check it out next month because, unlike Atari, I know I can get my shitty products from Taco Bell whenever I want without (much) waiting.

Plus, you know, tacos.

I also have an idea on how to beat Atari to market (not that they'll ever make it that far - it took them almost three years to figure out how to light up an LED), but we'll see if/how that pans out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/28/2017 at 6:17 AM, frankodragon said:

I just have this sneaking suspicion they're going to "Rick Astley" us, or in this case, "Rick Ataribox" us.

Old post, but they just told us they will never gonna let us down though we don't know for sure yet if they will never gonna give us up.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

~Hypothetical Situation Time~

Since it hasn't been discussed much: I'm legitimately curious about that new PCB image of the reverse side that got removed from Reddit.

Though it seems nobody managed to archive it (but maybe someone did), my bigger question is who leaked it, and why. 

Consider this:

It's unlikely our friend Fred leaked it, so unless it's a disgruntled employee, who else does that leave? That's not impossible, but with the few employees he seems to have around, and not even necessarily in the same building (or even country) most of the time, I kinda doubt it. 

So who else? We know they had it to take photos for their last Medium post, but we don't know exactly when they took those photos, nor exactly when Rob Wyatt left. 

Here's my suggestion - and it's just a theory based on slim evidence, so I'm not going to parade my theories around like the truth; my last name isn't Werner:

Rob Wyatt and Tin Giant still have the board, and the photos were taken right before Rob Wyatt left. Admittedly, the timeline on that isn't favourable, but hear me out anyway. 

One of them leaked the image as a sort of middle finger to Atari for not being paid, perhaps. 

But more importantly, if this were true (and again, conjecture - it might not be, we don't know, but it's an hypothesis I wanted to put out there), this would mean Atari doesn't have a prototype, working or otherwise. This would mean Rob Wyatt took the board with him. 

If Rob Wyatt wasn't paid, it makes sense not to hand over the goods. If that's the case and he has the board, Atari doesn't have anything at all (except for plastic shells). 

What I'm suggesting is that maybe, just maybe, this is an even bigger disaster than anyone currently realises. Having barely-working prototype hardware that they can't get to market any time soon would be an issue... but what if they don't even have any hardware to begin with?

Edited by TankedThomas
Dumb phone grammar fixes and clarifications.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

So is Atari's intention to still not let us down today?

I think they're,

Never gonna give you a VCS,

Never gonna lock it down,

Never gonna acknowledge our faults and refund you.

Never gonna say goodbye,

Shoulda got a raspberry pi,

Never gonna tell you why, so just screw you.

GiantVillainousKoodoo-size_restricted.gi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

19 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

I'm legitimately curious about that new PCB image of the reverse side that got removed from Reddit.

I missed seeing that image. If you do find a copy please post it here as I'd love to see it and I'm sure many others would too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I missed seeing that image. If you do find a copy please post it here as I'd love to see it and I'm sure many others would too!

I never saw it either.  But if this was it, and we go by the comments, it was a joke:. https://snew.notabug.io/r/AtariVCS/comments/dwumbi/backside_of_vcs_circuit_board/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

I think they're,

Never gonna give you a VCS,

Never gonna lock it down,

Never gonna acknowledge our faults and refund you.

Never gonna say goodbye,

Shoulda got a raspberry pi,

Never gonna tell you why, so just screw you.

GiantVillainousKoodoo-size_restricted.gi

Ah even my wife found this post funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TankedThomas said:

I'm not going to parade my theories around like the truth; my last name isn't Werner:

Now play nice I think Werner is trying to turn a new leaf and play nice. I mean he still called us names and stuff (trying is hard). But hey, maybe he realized he made his group into a negative cesspool where people were literally wishing evil onto other people.

So wish him well and hope he gets a taco soon.

• Like 5