IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, Zoyx said:

I'm willing to be wrong on this. Do you have an E3 tech press article where they were playing a black box? I just re-read the ArsTechnica article to refresh my memory. They said they were playing the system.

For a fan you don't seem to pay as much attention to details as the "haters". :D

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-new-atari-vcs-console-is-more-than-a-retro-game-box/

4 hours ago, Zoyx said:

I'm convinced. Looks like they used a mini-itx board supplied by AMD in that black box. Rob hadn't finished with the prototype board by then, so it makes sense. They do show a clear console with a board inside of it, but it was probably too buggy to use for the demo.

Wait a minute? Buggy? Not ready? What about the Tempest footage that came out way before that E3 stuff. I mean they showed this in May of 2018. Here is a link to the video posted by AtariVCS. Please note no for 'illustrative purposes'. They are still acting like this is actual footage of it on the VCS. See the description.

Screenshot_20191129-231105_YouTube.thumb.jpg.2eeffe12abeb7d25d05984d7c201e916.jpg

4 hours ago, Zoyx said:

Atari has made mistakes, a lot of them. They will make more. But there isn't a f'n conspiracy.

I'm also not loyal. I am a realist who doesn't have much patience for conspiracy theorists.

I don't think many here are about conspiracies, but are being real about the BS. The boxes at E3 were only the LED models. The actual VCS has not been shown in its case to run. That isn't conspiracy. They have misled with information like in the video above. Once again not conspiracy.

Also note in that misleading video that the one thing they have showed off a lot of (the led) is not lit up. They didn't even have that much figured out, let alone playing a non-linux game on linux.

Oh and black box at E3 not VCS case. Again just to drive home not conspiracy. 

post-39941-0-45079600-1560351733_thumb.thumb.jpg.7c1a2e7d4e8e618cb7e3d6b066ded00e.jpg

I posted not long ago about the time the believers got excited about that Atari Dude's YouTube videos. They were excited about those because Atari has yet to show even that much of their system work. 

Grab a taco and a beer. And enjoy the taco fun.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JBerel said:

The only value to Atari's project now is the comedy relief of mocking it and its relentless supporters. It has already failed, and now everyone involved continues to squirm and do their best attempts to pervert reality into the best possible looking alternate reality. It's just a sad, sad display at this point of hacks and zealots feeding off each other. I weep for the species.

Also, It's worth noting again what everybody already knows but chooses to ignore. The terms of use for Indiegogo or any crowdfunding platform require regular communications, at least monthly, to avoid the exact situation Atari is in with their backers. They are in complete disarray with serious problems, they admit nothing, and continually lie or go silent for cover. They remain in breach of contract, but the sites know how to deprive backers of any real remedy, so you can argue they were scammed the minute they put in their card.

I would laugh my ass off if somehow some planetary alignment made Atari succeed, so in say five years they're a billion dollar company and say Nintendo is out of the game.  And then would laugh even more, when the Faery invade, and we have to travel around slaying dragons.  I'll be like, "Hey, all those guys on Atari Age said it was just a raspberry pi in a case, and that it'll suck, and there's no such things as dragons and faeries, but here they are, breathing fire in our faces, and stealing our things!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Or, practically give away the printer and milk you for the ink.

back in the late 90's / early 2000's I used to buy cannon printers as brown box refurb units

People would buy them, use up all the ink, send them back, get cleaned and sell them refurbed for 25$ with new ink, I would buy them, use up the ink, scrap them for parts and toss the rest and get another. This went on for about 6 printers.

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Osgeld said:

back in the late 90's / early 2000's I used to buy cannon printers as brown box refurb units

People would buy them, use up all the ink, send them back, get cleaned and sell them refurbed for 25$ with new ink, I would buy them, use up the ink, scrap them for parts and toss the rest and get another. This went on for about 6 printers.

The printer economy is certainly a strange one. We recently bought a new HP printer/scanner for the grand total of £18.99, and then they offered us cover for £12.99 a year, its literally cheaper to buy a new one, which will be an upgraded model.

Every time I see the Amico in this thread the more I want one.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Poor John. Reality is starting to set in. I feel bad for him. His subscribers on the other hand are still living in the wonderful world of oz 

At least he's figuring it out. Reality is going to hit a lot harder for some of the others.  John apparently didn't treat criticism of the system as a personal attack as the others do.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

For a fan you don't seem to pay as much attention to details as the "haters". :D

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-new-atari-vcs-console-is-more-than-a-retro-game-box/

Wait a minute? Buggy? Not ready? What about the Tempest footage that came out way before that E3 stuff. I mean they showed this in May of 2018. Here is a link to the video posted by AtariVCS. Please note no for 'illustrative purposes'. They are still acting like this is actual footage of it on the VCS. See the description.

Screenshot_20191129-231105_YouTube.thumb.jpg.2eeffe12abeb7d25d05984d7c201e916.jpg

I don't think many here are about conspiracies, but are being real about the BS. The boxes at E3 were only the LED models. The actual VCS has not been shown in its case to run. That isn't conspiracy. They have misled with information like in the video above. Once again not conspiracy.

Also note in that misleading video that the one thing they have showed off a lot of (the led) is not lit up. They didn't even have that much figured out, let alone playing a non-linux game on linux.

Oh and black box at E3 not VCS case. Again just to drive home not conspiracy. 

post-39941-0-45079600-1560351733_thumb.thumb.jpg.7c1a2e7d4e8e618cb7e3d6b066ded00e.jpg

I posted not long ago about the time the believers got excited about that Atari Dude's YouTube videos. They were excited about those because Atari has yet to show even that much of their system work. 

Grab a taco and a beer. And enjoy the taco fun.

Back in 2018, I fired up Tempest 4000 on my Bristol Ridge APU PC and it played without a hitch. That was a marketing video to demonstrate future capability. Conspiracy minded people like you decided to read way too much into it. The Atari VCS will be able to play Tempest 4000 just fine.

Tempest 4000 has very low system specs and can run on a potato. It just needs Windows (or WINE), which "VCS" doesn't have, as far as we have seen. 

What is this talk of "conspiracy?" I'm not sure there are enough people from Atari working on this to form a conspiracy. Please explain what you mean, using small words so dummies like me can understand. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

It's standard to put this at the bottom of your press release right?  /s

The realization of the plans, and their operational budget and financing plan remain inherently uncertain, and the non-realization of these assumptions may impact their value.

Also, new article by Forbes:

In my experience, when a company releases a product or discloses information about an upcoming product on a holiday, or times the disclosures to coincide with another, unrelated major event that will drown them out in the news cycle, there’s often something negative in the underlying message.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Poor John. Reality is starting to set in. I feel bad for him. His subscribers on the other hand are still living in the wonderful world of oz 

Oh crap...that isn't good if John's lost the faith. Didn't think that was possible. Guess there is a limit to how much BS some people can take.

• Like 5

I avoided posting yesterday because I didn't want to pile-on, but this is just ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Back in 2018, I fired up Tempest 4000 on my Bristol Ridge APU PC and it played without a hitch. That was a marketing video to demonstrate future capability. Conspiracy minded people like you decided to read way too much into it. The Atari VCS will be able to play Tempest 4000 just fine.

His screencap was of the edited post, which had been changed weeks later for the Indiegogo campaign.  The original said nothing about it being a PC.  The video, as well as some others, still says it's an AtariVCS test. By the way, keep in mind this was the very video and unedited post that enticed Llammasoft themselves to publicly post there's no Linux version.  I guess they're conspiracists too?

image.png.eb87670e368e80ee7f6177af304738a1.png

From the video:

image.thumb.png.09cce9d961a4b3c243dae6ced266b759.png

While we're at it, below is a link to another video released not long before that one.  Their post says it's the "Atari VCS test platform".  That's arguably ambiguous but the video itself intimates it's the AtariVCS.  It has a similar intro screen as above, then starts with a shot of the powered-on AtariVCS which looks like it's powering the game of Centipede.  But we all know now what we simply suspected then:  It's smoke and mirrors.  They had no AVCS prototype in a shell.  They didn't even have the AMD test board until after the campaign.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Tempest 4000 has very low system specs and can run on a potato. It just needs Windows (or WINE), which "VCS" doesn't have, as far as we have seen. 

What is this talk of "conspiracy?" I'm not sure there are enough people from Atari working on this to form a conspiracy. Please explain what you mean, using small words so dummies like me can understand. 

I could tell you what the conspiracy is, but it involves the Illuminati,  and the fact Adolph Hitler's descendants are actually running Atari from a remote Brazilian village. It's all quite complicated. 

It can't be something as similar as someone bought an IP on the cheap and is trying to increase the value of it get a buyout.   That sort of thing is too complicated and never happens.

Even though Fred recently indicated they're looking for a buyout.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Conspiracy suggests bad intent is needed and that there is a plan. I don't think they have bad intent or planned this. I just think they have been really dumb, and made promises they have yet to keep or show progress on. Once again not out of intent or planning. Just being inept.

My guess is Llamasoft is one of the partners that they can't talk about, and the RCT series. However, if they can't even get their games on there natively that will be rather sad.

Also this is for those thinking the board was buggy. If it's a mock up board does that qualify as buggy? ?

Screenshot_20191130-090440_Chrome.thumb.jpg.995a61a7338f5e21187d648d4c0d464e.jpg

• Like 5

Hi there, first post here.

For some reason, I've been quite fascinated by this whole Atari thing.

I'm 37 yo (french) and to be honest the only Atari machine I can recollect from my childhood was a neighbor having an Atari ST and me being "wow, cool, a computer". Console was about Nintendo and Sega, I recall there was jaguar and Neo Geo things that nobody had, but that's about it.

So I'm guessing the market for this (those who remember the Atari 2600) would be people well over 40, which seems like a very niche market in the video game scene to me ...

As the "conspiracy" or "scam" debate. I don't think it's neither, but it seriously looks like a Fyre Festival type business plan. The Festival was meant to happen, really really, there just wasn't the competences required, and there was no moral quandary about lying when reality caught up. 

Of course unlike a festival, a console can just be postponed each time the self imposed deadline arrives and no working product is existing.

Of course, every manufacturer makes bold claims about their product. But when you're a zombie company without any recent track record of launching anything, you have to establish confidence. And that "behind the scene Tempest test" was clearly meant to deceive people. It clearly was not a test of anything...

They started this thing giving the project to a guy who failed to launch an Atari branded smartwatch. Then hired the Tin Giant company, whose empty website seems to have disappeared..  It is a bit relevant whether these guys failed to deliver and were not paid, or didn't deliver because they were not paid. In any case, Atari failed to build the proper team to make their vision a reality.

It is also unclear what their vision is. It seemed to be about a mix of classic and new games. But there are no new games, and nobody in their right mind would believe that they have many studios working on launch titles but can't disclose because confidentially. Either they can't disclose because there is no finalized agreement with any studio, or said studios refuse to have their names associated with that thing. In either case, no the marks of a serious project.

What is that thing in the end. A console with no games (70's games seriously, who plays that for more than 5 minutes), that is also a low end computer on which you install your own things ... provided you bring your own storage and OS ...(I'm sure drivers for windows will be top notch ^^).

Streaming Netflix at 4k ? If you have a 4k TV, it has a Netflix app, and navigating that with a remote will be much more convenient for the "netflix mum" than selecting a movie with a gamepad (provided their is a Netfliw app ....), or plugging in keyboard and mouse to use Netflix via browser ...

Antstream ? the value of streaming is that you don't have to download Gbs of data and don't need powerful hardware. Both things being non factors when talking about games that could be stacked on floppy disk and could run on a toaster. That does not make any sense.

So what's left ? A low end computer with no storage in a cool case. Bring your own storage and OS. And hope it works. Sure, can be fun for tinkerers. But at that price point, there's no tangible market for that. 

So much for "GAME, STREAM, CONNECT LIKE NEVER BEFORE"

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I avoided posting yesterday because I didn't want to pile-on, but this is just ridiculous.

His screencap was of the edited post, which had been changed weeks later for the Indiegogo campaign.  The original said nothing about it being a PC.  The video, as well as some others, still says it's an AtariVCS test. By the way, keep in mind this was the very video and unedited post that enticed Llammasoft themselves to publicly post there's no Linux version.  I guess they're conspiracists too?

image.png.eb87670e368e80ee7f6177af304738a1.png

From the video:

image.thumb.png.09cce9d961a4b3c243dae6ced266b759.png

While we're at it, below is a link to another video released not long before that one.  Their post says it's the "Atari VCS test platform".  That's arguably ambiguous but the video itself intimates it's the AtariVCS.  It has a similar intro screen as above, then starts with a shot of the powered-on AtariVCS which looks like it's powering the game of Centipede.  But we all know now what we simply suspected then:  It's smoke and mirrors.  They had no AVCS prototype in a shell.  They didn't even have the AMD test board until after the campaign.

Lol the taco thread remembers...

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

There's more knowledge and truth in these 949 pages than all of "Atari's" 19 IGG updates, that's for sure. A lot of stuff and nonsense too, though. ? 

Well I initially came to this thread in hopes of actual news. Then there was no news etc. Now I come back to see what goofy stuff someone posted and to make fun of Atari's missteps. And there have been a lot of goofy stuff.

If someone wants to be serious about the VCS there is the thread in the modern gaming section.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2