IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

30 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^^^ (I was not sure if everyone had the same page count as I, I think guests see a different number of posts per page)

I like how with the Coleco Chameleon no one was able to see the back of the console, but with the Ataribox, no one can see the Front of the console.
It is little things like this that keep me going, that and feeding the squirrel family in the tree outside my window xD

If Atari is indeed making a first run, that would indicate that the specs are now nailed in stone & cannot be changed, so where are the official full specs?
Also, if Atari was indeed preparing to ramp up production, would there not be a purchase order leak?
When Apple is getting ready to make a new device, there is usually a leak saying "Apple is buying 10 million camera modules from so&so)
Or there is a sudden shortage of 128GB flash memory chips

They've posted specs before so unless the production board has changes they wouldn't necessarily need to repost the specs. 

Regarding a leak, the difference is the iPhone user base is about 11,000 times bigger than that of the Atari someday-VCS. Maybe no one cares enough to leak it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, monzamess said:

Regarding a leak, the difference is the iPhone user base is about 11,000 times bigger than that of the Atari someday-VCS. Maybe no one cares enough to leak it.

And if a low-spec PC in an Atari-style case were such a winning idea, someone faster/better would beat them to market. This would be an easy thing to clone/rip off if anyone cared enough to do so. 

Just like how nobody is passing around copies of Mike Kennedy's RETRO or Monty Gabrys's ATARI AGE "magazines." 

The means of production are democratized nowadays, everyone has access to internet publishing, crowdfunding platforms, and commodity hardware. This is why the failure of "Atari," a publicly traded company, is particularly pathetic. Somebody should buy out these sad sacks and put an end to their nonsense. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zoyx said:

Back in 2018, I fired up Tempest 4000 on my Bristol Ridge APU PC and it played without a hitch. That was a marketing video to demonstrate future capability. Conspiracy minded people like you decided to read way too much into it. The Atari VCS will be able to play Tempest 4000 just fine.

Did you know that you can play Tempest 4000 on a PlayStation 4 right now, and that PS4 Slims sell online for $260-$280? 

This also might blow your mind, but the PlayStation 4 has a lot of games on it too. Much more than two. And it has Netflix!!!

I know it sounds like conspiracy witchcraft, but it's true!

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Not to mention the ONLY non-subscription game that "Atari" has confirmed, Atari Vault, can be had on PC (Windows, MAC, Linux) for just six bucks. Six bucks!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/

And Atari takes a cut! So don't tell me I never say anything nice about the company that Nolan built. If anyone buys this, that's money on their pocket. It's not a bad collection. 

Speaking of slow news days, I just read that Jony Ive officially left Apple. They've scrubbed his picture from the executive page and everything. Like Arzt's VCS update, they announced on Thanksgiving to minimize the effect on the news cycle. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Not to mention the ONLY non-subscription game that "Atari" has confirmed, Atari Vault, can be had on PC (Windows, MAC, Linux) for just six bucks. Six bucks!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/

And Atari takes a cut! So don't tell me I never say anything nice about the company that Nolan built. If anyone buys this, that's money on their pocket. It's not a bad collection. 

Speaking of slow news days, I just read that Jony Ive officially left Apple. They've scrubbed his picture from the executive page and everything. Like Arzt's VCS update, they announced on Thanksgiving to minimize the effect on the news cycle. 

Tempest is on sale and I think 6 bucks too right now on Steam. You can buy the whole VCS library for $12ish bucks right now. Better grab that $300+ Linux computer that I will probably also need to buy an external HD and then use my PC to install Linux so I can play the Tempest game.

Lets ignore that I can use my PC to play those games, install emulators, have more storage, can easily set up to my TV, doesn't need another computer to install, and is already in my posession. This means I can play it today, right now, not soon...

Wait why was I thinking of spending $300+ again?

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, keithbk said:

Playstation 4 was on sale at Best Buy on Black Friday for $200.

Is the VCS REALLY worth $100 more? Can it play Blu-Rays? Does it have an arsenal of games? Does it have a track record of success?

With Atari VCS, soccer moms can watch Netflix on their browser, if they have the appropriate browser of course.  They don't have to be burdened with all those annoying apps real consoles have. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Tempest is on sale and I think 6 bucks too right now on Steam. You can buy the whole VCS library for $12ish bucks right now. Better grab that $300+ Linux computer that I will probably also need to buy an external HD and then use my PC to install Linux so I can play the Tempest game.

Lets ignore that I can use my PC to play those games, install emulators, have more storage, can easily set up to my TV, doesn't need another computer to install, and is already in my posession. This means I can play it today, right now, not soon...

Wait why was I thinking of spending $300+ again?

We got a smart TV recently. That thing can run RetroArch. It can already do everything the VCS can do, except install another operating system (though I'm sure you could have it to do that if you really wanted, but frankly, the "smart" features are a pain enough as it is).

Now allow me to blow your mind (or not): you can already get a PC-in-a-box that's about as powerful and capable as the VCS purports to be, for the same price or less.

This is just the first example I grabbed, but there are dozens more, if not hundreds, just like it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32831520597.html

Granted, it uses DDR3 (DDR3L, specifically) RAM, runs Intel so therefore has approximately five trillion security flaws, and AMD's Vega graphics are better than Intel's HD Graphics integrated GPUs, but it's got two more USB ports (USB 2.0 vs 3.0 doesn't matter for controllers), a VGA port (not that anyone cares) and 1two 3.5mm jacks (one for a mic, the other for headphones). It also has more internal memory plus more expansion support. But most importantly: it's already on sale. You can buy it right now.

Heck, there are others around the same price which are even more powerful, such as this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026539698.html

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So who is the target audience for the VCS again?

Oh, right. Suckers.

EDIT: Here's more of the actual iceberg: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000072044221.html

The cheapest configuration is in-between the price of the two VCS models and utterly murders both of them in specs. This is literally the first thing I found on Aliexpress when searching for "Ryzen mini PC".

Suck it, Atari SA.

7 hours ago, frankodragon said:

image.png.b8441506dee053773d313f522262aab2.png

I thought his hand looked suspiciously empty. Thanks for posting the unedited version!

Also, here's a bonus from my "Atari VCS specs" Google search (I couldn't be bothered searching the thread, and then I realised that was easier than searching Atari's BS for answers):

vcs_official_website.png.19d94b4c9e852043cb6e5fca77b29c49.png

Just remember: someone paid for this. (And if you refresh it, there are other variants).

Edited by TankedThomas
Edited to rub salt in Atari's wound(s)
  • Like 3

On 11/29/2019 at 4:55 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

You know who hasn't had any of these problems? IntelliVision and their upcoming Amico console. That has been shown at E3 on the show floor (not in some off site backroom like the Atari VCS), been shown to journalists (who didn't get a bunch of  "I don't know" as their answers), haven't lost their system architects, and has announced numerous games for their platform, a year before the machine launches. Atari on the other hand, has nothing like this video, even though it was supposed to have launched next month:

Thank you for noticing.

BTW... We have a big press release coming out on Tuesday, Dec. 3rd. on our 40th Anniversary (the first Intellivision hit store shelves on Dec. 3, 1979).

In it we list a ton of developers, have a short interactive Augmented Reality demo of one of our launch games (Moon Patrol) that you'll be able to play on your mobile devices, show never before seen screenshots of one of the pack-in games, showing pics of the final controller and console design and doing a short video about the controller.  And yes... we will still be over 10 months from our 10/10 2020 launch date.  If you want to get the press release and info when it comes out, please feel free to sign up to our mailing list at IntellivisionAmico.com.

I think some folks in here will appreciate one of the opening lines from our press release on Tuesday...

It's been said that "no news is good news".  Intellivision has a different perspective and believes that "more news is great news!". 

:)

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I like how Intel got called out by basically everyone on the price drops and lifted review embargo a few days ago because AMD delivered the goods.

The point here is that no one in this thread is trying to hate on Atari, trying to keep the little guy down. Intel pulled something like a really bad movie studio pulled when they know the movie sucks, and they are getting called out on it, no matter if you are big or smal if you try to pull the sheets over people, especially in tech, you will get called out. Shady behavior is easily spotted and after the coleco chameleon debacle I think more people are much more vigilant and less forgiving.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 5