IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

13 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Tempest is on sale and I think 6 bucks too right now on Steam. You can buy the whole VCS library for $12ish bucks right now. Better grab that $300+ Linux computer that I will probably also need to buy an external HD and then use my PC to install Linux so I can play the Tempest game.

Lets ignore that I can use my PC to play those games, install emulators, have more storage, can easily set up to my TV, doesn't need another computer to install, and is already in my posession. This means I can play it today, right now, not soon...

Wait why was I thinking of spending $300+ again?

Purchased Tempest!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

lol-

image.thumb.png.1da0575ecc42c735dd86dbd111cc922e.png

It was locked within an hour of posting, yet they can't be bothered to do anything about the guy posting caustic Trump flamebait all over the sub.  Apparently anything goes as long as it's positive about the VCS, and I'm tempted to create a throwaway account to test the limits of this policy...

• Like 6

15 hours ago, keithbk said:

Playstation 4 was on sale at Best Buy on Black Friday for $200.

Is the VCS REALLY worth $100 more? Can it play Blu-Rays? Does it have an arsenal of games? Does it have a track record of success?

Sony is selling them at a loss. You usually put excess inventory on sale before the release of the next generation.

Sounds like you don't like the Atari VCS. I recommend that you don't buy it.

18 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

Sounds like you’re a VCS backer. How much money you got in this thing?

Well to be fair VCS has to sell at a profit because they don't have any software to sell and make money. You know how they brought on the games at the end of summer right?

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Sony is selling them at a loss. You usually put excess inventory on sale before the release of the next generation.

I'm a consumer. Why would I care if a product is sold at a loss? If it's a better product at a better price, that benefits me.

"Atari" isn't competing in a vacuum, and I'm not running a charity.

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Well to be fair VCS has to sell at a profit because they don't have any software to sell and make money. You know how they brought on the games at the end of summer right?

It’s funny how they don’t mention Tempest anymore. That was suppose to be their “killer app”. And what ever became of that Yars game they showed in one of their doctored videos?

• Like 6

From the comments in the Polygon story (discussion of which was locked by "Atari" on Reddit)

Polygon so naive… Let me teach you what happens 99% of the times when a crowdfunding scam campaign of an electronic product says it is about to deliver: right before or right after the release, the product quality testing team will discover a problem that was only detected at the last quality check, so the distribution will be delayed for further investigation, which in a few weeks will show that the problem can’t be fixed and the it will have to be redesigned, followed by a promise that the new version will have upgrades that backers will get for free, but it will required at least a full another year to everything be worked out.

3-4 months from now I’ll be back here just to quote myself and show how my paranormal powers truly are able to predict the future…

Posted  on Dec 1, 2019 | 6:28 AM

Also, from the double negative department

I can’t imagine this won’t be a complete flop.

Posted  on Dec 1, 2019 | 12:38 PM

• Like 5

Atari has a main point of "SandBox" mode
This speaks volumes about the confidence level, usually a tech company tries to LOCK its patrons into the ecosystem or the platform trying to unify it, not trying to create a fractured one. I suspect software is extremely lacking at this point.

"With the Atari VCS SANDBOX mode you can do whatever you want!"
Hey! Atari I can do whatever I want with the Computer I am typing this on right now and I dont have to spend a single dollar! more Taco money for me!

Is that not the title of the go scam me?
"Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before | Indiegogo"

Well since there will be no native Streaming Apps that is complete lie, please continue with the hogwash, If I wanted to Game, Stream like never before I would not have paid good money now would I? Backers paid you for a game console not a walmart prebuilt computer that needs an OS to run.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

Monsieur Chesnais est-ce vous?

• Haha 3

@OCAT that's just Arzt Lemonade. You take a weakness, apply some mental gymnastics, and turn it into a strength. 

Problem: NO SOFTWARE

Solution: Sandbox!

Unprecedented freedom! Unlike those other boxes that tell you what to install, AtariBox is wide open! Make your own fun! The only limit is your imagination. 

Problem: LATE AS HELL

Solution: You're on the team!

Radical transparency! You will get the earliest version, even if it's not quite done! In weeks, not months! Believe me. 

Problem: NO APP SUPPORT

Solution: Just use the browser!

Not all of the streaming apps will be ready at launch! Til they are, just use the browser and pretend this is something good. 

Problem: NO REFUNDS

Solution: Deploy flying monkeys!

A virtual army of pre-paid minions are at your disposal, just say the secret word, "Atari," and they'll do whatever you need. Remember the secret handshake to determine friend or foe. Beware of taco breath. 
F7A90464-006F-4634-8DEA-10D03638CCE1.thumb.jpeg.c063e37b2e78d5b7eb1eb72bbc54fe47.jpeg

Problem: WEAK-ASS HARDWARE 

Solution: Never show it!

Just hide, hide, hide! Also use "For illustration purposes only," and don't be afraid to say your (many, many) partners aren't ready to talk yet. 

Problem: THE COMPETITION IS BETTER

Solution: say, "it validates our approach!"

It really doesn't matter whether this makes any sense or not, because you already took their money long ago. Plus, you're not really competing. You're doing your own thing. Un-console. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

When this thing is sold for less than the value of the sum of its parts, AKA the Bill Of Materials list, then I will consider buying it, knowing I ripped them off by buying a failed product. It is always satisfying going into my local Dollar store and coming out with a massivley discounted product that was liquidated because it failed in the market.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Zoyx said:

Are you kidding?

I Love my Atari VCS!...I've had one for decades!  Multiple units actually...My Favorite one has been modded to output A/V and S-video, plus has a pause button...It's got 6 Switches, wood grain, an Atari Logo, plays all of my Atari carts...You'd like it.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, OCAT said:

When this thing is sold for less than the value of the sum of its parts, AKA the Bill Of Materials list, then I will consider buying it, knowing I ripped them off by buying a failed product. It is always satisfying going into my local Dollar store and coming out with a massivley discounted product that was liquidated because it failed in the market.

Dude, that's small thinking. It's going to have an ATARI LOGO, which is basically PRICELESS! Because The Company That Fred Saved really NEEDS to have unique products with that little Fuji on it, because that's all they've got. Because as we have read, Atari has many ...

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS

Because Atari depends substantially on intellectual property rights, the protection of Atari's intellectual property rights is important to the success of its business. Atari rely upon a combination of trademark, trade secret and copyright law as well as contractual restrictions to protect its intellectual property. Despite Atari's efforts to protect its property rights, unauthorized parties may attempt to copy aspects of our games, software and service or obtain and use information that we consider proprietary. Moreover, policing Atari's proprietary rights is difficult and may not always be effective. In addition, we may need to enforce our rights under the laws of countries with reduced or varied protection for intellectual property rights. Moreover, Atari's success depends, in part, upon its intellectual properties not infringing, misappropriating or violating the intellectual property rights owned by others and being able to resolve claims of intellectual property infringement. Such intellectual property claims and proceedings brought against Atari, whether successful or not, can be complex and time-consuming and could result in substantial costs and harm to Atari's reputation. Such claims and proceedings can also distract and divert our management and key personnel from other tasks important to the success of our business. Moreover, the legal threshold for initiating such claims and proceedings is low, so that even claims with a low probability of success could be initiated and require significant resources and attention to defend.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

That document really is a blueprint to an Atari-free world. 

RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOSS OF THE BRAND

The ATARI brand is a synonym for video games worldwide, in all languages, it enjoys an incredible reputation, and is in and of itself the Group’s most important intellectual property asset. As such, it is relatively coveted by other market operators who may be able to express their interest in an acquisition for a transfer price that may be essential for the Group’s development. A loss of the brand would result in (i) a need for change of corporate name for the company, (ii) a significant loss of reputation that may have materially impact on the commercial activity, (iii) and a substantial reduction in the Group’s value.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zoyx said:

Aside from the fact that they haven't been selling the PS4 at a loss for almost 6 years, they've more than made up for it with their (sadly now garbage) PS+ subscriptions and video game sales, not to mention the fact that they've sold approximately 100 million PS4 consoles now (and they're still selling, so I wouldn't say they have excess inventory - production costs have got cheaper over time and so they have lowered the price, among other things). 

I don't even like Sony nor would I want to defend them, but you're not even correct on this point, and just like the weirdos on Reddit, you only respond to the arguments you think you can still win, which is cowardly. 

Here's a source, if you don't believe me: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251629/playstation-4-no-longer-sold-at-a-loss/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With all the Tomfoolery associated with the Atari team, I would expect the Sega Dreamcast 2 to come out before this thing, And there is a 99.9999% chance of that not happening. ( yes I know, I hate saying that)

Anyone have Ming-Chi Kuo's Email? perhaps he can dig into the Atari supply chain and tell us what they purchased from China... I'd expect 10,000 blinking LED's and Double AA battery holders :D

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

It’s funny how they don’t mention Tempest anymore. That was suppose to be their “killer app”. And what ever became of that Yars game they showed in one of their doctored videos?

Yeah I like how they were touting 101 games. (100 vault and then 1 for Tempest). Then it was suddenly 100 games.

Their special bonus is probably a windows download of the game.

After all Tommy said there was no development right? I mean you said...I mean we said it.... we are legion. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, bonehead said:

I believe I got the free "bonus" promised to early backers for the delay.  Just in time for Thanksgiving weekend too.

Long time listener, first time caller.  I'll hang up and listen.  Love the show.  

vcs.png

Welcome! Stop by join in the fun and have a taco and your drink of choice.

• Like 3