IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I don't want to derail this conversation about tacos but there's a new press release already!

http://news.calyptus.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CP-2019-12-02-Roadshow-VCS-EN.pdf

Well, it's just a Powerpoint slideshow with everything we already (kinda) know about the Atari VCS. No new games. Oh and there's a slide about 'behind-the-scenes' updates to the backers:

947174824_Screenshot_2019-12-02AtariVCSOVERVIEW12022019VDEF-Atari-VCS-OVERVIEW-12-02-2019-VDEFpdf.thumb.png.56ce45d984ebacc1ae1ed507250508c2.png

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't want to derail this conversation about tacos but there's a new press release already!

http://news.calyptus.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CP-2019-12-02-Roadshow-VCS-EN.pdf

Well, it's just a Powerpoint slideshow with everything we already (kinda) know about the Atari VCS. No new games. Oh and there's a slide about 'behind-the-scenes' updates to the backers:

947174824_Screenshot_2019-12-02AtariVCSOVERVIEW12022019VDEF-Atari-VCS-OVERVIEW-12-02-2019-VDEFpdf.thumb.png.56ce45d984ebacc1ae1ed507250508c2.png

Selling roms for a buck is new. Otherwise its is a regurgitation for the most part.

• Like 3

I am most excited to see official Atari paperwork claim that we will be able to play:

"Classic Console Emulators: 2500, 5200, XT, Lynx, Jaguar, etc. for download"

So the 2600 games will struggle to run and play at imaginary console 2500 speeds? I look forward to playing Atari's legendary "XT" (IBM?) games but a bit sad that XL, XE, or ST games aren't stated. 

When you rush without 'pwroofreading' you get a forgivable forum post mistake.  When it's an official document, you embarrass the company. 

If I was given a VCS for free, I might put a Pi3 in it.

Edited by seastalker
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

This to me settles the issue of whether or not the "VCS" will have exclusive games and the answer is no. It'll have the Vault and supposedly "fan-made" games (those are always the best) plus whatever you can get to run in sandbox. Any hope of a significant made-for-VCS library is squashed, and it's here in black-and-white from Atari themselves.

• Like 5

That Atari PDF confirms there will be only 1080P video streaming in the base 400 model:

Screenshot_20191202-083101.thumb.png.38cb119ed4c1ccc231c782c30beefc03.png

The 99 cent ROM seems interesting, but largely redundant.  The VCS comes with AtariVault, though I guess not the new expansion pack*.

I guess it would be intriguing if they tied the ROMs in with their AtariToken, somehow.  A digital item that could be traded or resold.  I'm not sure there's a market, but it's along the digital-ownership ideas they've espoused before.

*Possible bonus promised to backers for the delay, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

That Atari PDF confirms there will be only 1080P video streaming in the base 400 model:

Screenshot_20191202-083101.thumb.png.38cb119ed4c1ccc231c782c30beefc03.png

Weird. Must be a RAM issue, because it has the same APU.

I believe these units can be upgraded to 16 GB.

That document (from here) is really something. Here's a copy for when "Atari" goes titsup and this stuff disappears. One must wonder for whom this slide deck was created. Would-be investors, presumably? There's not enough in here for a general consumer, and certainly not for a gamer.Atari-VCS-OVERVIEW-12-02-2019-VDEF.pdf

Let's have a closer look!

So, "Atari" is a background joke in a cult movie from the 1980s, as well as its poorly-performing sequel. That certainly reflects well on the lifestyle brand. You too can be a part of the dystopic future! Hunt artificial people in the rain and wonder why you didn't leave Earth like the smart people. 

798041302_1BladeRunner.thumb.png.c87f07d5ab43db9c99feb0cdeb436868.png

Young people! They're the future! They will spend lots of money on branded shit, especially a "digital entertainment touchstone." But the anti-Atari is right there in the slide: numerous platforms and devices provide endless entertainment options. THEY DON'T NEED THIS THING YOU'RE TRYING TO SELL. It doesn't matter if you're "uniquely positioned to be a tech taste-maker with useful connected products and innovative experiences," because you're not any of that, "Atari."

65607880_2YoungPeopleandStuff.thumb.png.007107343ccf71d24f590fe7050b4910.png

How do they do it? They made a computer that can go on the internet and run software. Woo. I would like to see how they have driven some of these content partnerships. What's that? Ant Stream? Atari Vault? Anything else?

530865299_3GoalsandStrategy.thumb.png.09cf9d5f33352ec71da7a8328e0b1df8.png

I see Halo 2600 in there. Also Defender, Joust, and Berzerk, none of which are theirs to distribute. You just know "Atari" would send lawyers after anyone who did this with any of their IP. As we've discussed again and again, "Atari Vault" is available on Steam for six dollars and is playable on real computers, such as Windows, Macintosh, Linux. 

1624768331_4GamesYeahRight.thumb.png.722cdbf3252785ebd13932d0c6404e3b.png

Still no games listed, just a bunch of empty promises and other people's stuff. As others have pointed out, "2500" and "XT" just shows how clueless they are, kind of like how they misspelled "VCS" in that comparison matrix last year where they imagined themselves on the same stage as Xbox and Playstation. I'd like to see their Jaguar emulator. There's no way they'll ever get a license to play Nintendo games on this. Maybe they mean Capcom ROMs or something. Bowser from Nintendo should kick them to the moon just for using the Nintendo name like this. 

2110910567_5BuiltforGamers.thumb.png.2f6c25281cd558096281c83c75be4de4.png

Did you know what Blade Shadow is? I did not. So the idea is you would buy "ATARI VCS" then subscribe to B.S. <sic> to stream games, giving you "the gaming rig you deserve." Um, okay. 

1114154252_5-5BladeShadowiswhatyoudeservebecauseyouareabadboy.thumb.png.3d4d568d188bfe277faad0ef9cb1bfd8.png

Alternatively, you have the privilege of paying $100 a year to stream ye olde Amiga games from the internet. As if anyone who wanted to do such a thing is just waiting for a dedicated box to do it. Hey, they forgot to remove the "CONFIDENTIAL" stamp on there. Partners, beware! I would believe the "Subject to change" disclaimer though. What happened to "ATARI ON" voice commands? Or the vomiting zombie games? Or even Tempest 4000?

1689008381_6PissAntStream.thumb.png.28c50bd72f31c44d9217592e51fcf5aa.png

Ah, here's their secret weapon: Unity. Lots of games run on Unity! And ATARI VCS will support Unity too! Check it out, guys!! The ATARI VCS will support the most commonly available, lowest-common-denominator game development engine, just like every other product with a CPU out there. This is about as unique a feature as saying "runs on electrical power, right from your wall!" Not an amazing feature. And no, Biffy, there won't be a native "Export to ATARI VCS" feature in Unity, because if there is, I will buy and eat a SpeakerHat (Blade Runner version). 

1790887219_7WhooHooUnity.thumb.png.05306db163a20a011fdc706d1792bf81.png

Just LOOK at all the great ways "Atari" can profit from all the chumps who don't know any better! Let's pretend they get a cut of anything beyond hardware and their own integrated content store. Why would anyone choose to buy games on this format, when literally nothing exclusive has been shown? And what's in it for "Atari" when someone buys content from outside?

1823266939_8DontCrossTheStreams.thumb.png.dbad33228b343bb20f9fb6508a1aaf69.png

This has GOT to be for the same crowd that watches Fred Chesnais on Stuart Varney and says, hm, maybe I should throw some pennies into the "Atari" stock, it looks like a bargain, and maybe this VCS thing will take off. Video games? Ha ha, no, those are for youth, millennial, and tech audiences, obsessed with tech, entertainment and pop-culture, living in an always-connected, increasingly-gamified digital world. 

291914254_ScreenShot2019-12-02at12_37_35PM.thumb.png.1a6b93413edf42f74fb4fc21ff6c360a.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I know that the Shills will refuse to recognize this, but the strategy behind their games is similar to the Ouya. The Ouya had access to the Google Play Store...eventually they squeaked out a few exclusives, but for the most part, it was all the same stuff you could get on your phone. 

That platform received 4 times as many backers and still failed hard. Which is the point we keep making about the VCS. 

Also, if I was Microsoft or Nintendo's lawyer, I'd be sending them a nice C&D letter stat. It's incredible misleading for them to show Halo 2600 on there, cut-off so that someone who doesn't know about that game's existence thinks that MS is giving their blessing to the platform with putting the regular Halo on there.

And LOL at the 2500 and XT. These people really have no clue what they're doing. But yeah, us naysayers are totally wrong and will be embarrassed by the guaranteed massive success of the VCS! ?

• Like 5

On 12/1/2019 at 4:38 AM, Tommy Tallarico said:

Thank you for noticing.

BTW... We have a big press release coming out on Tuesday, Dec. 3rd. on our 40th Anniversary (the first Intellivision hit store shelves on Dec. 3, 1979).

In it we list a ton of developers, have a short interactive Augmented Reality demo of one of our launch games (Moon Patrol) that you'll be able to play on your mobile devices, show never before seen screenshots of one of the pack-in games, showing pics of the final controller and console design and doing a short video about the controller.  And yes... we will still be over 10 months from our 10/10 2020 launch date.  If you want to get the press release and info when it comes out, please feel free to sign up to our mailing list at IntellivisionAmico.com.

I think some folks in here will appreciate one of the opening lines from our press release on Tuesday...

It's been said that "no news is good news".  Intellivision has a different perspective and believes that "more news is great news!". 

:)

Awesome, I look forward to it! It's refreshing to see things being handled competently for a non-Big Three console release. 

I also imagine you can glean a couple of other shots across FakeFuji's bow from their laughable slideshow today. :P

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I know that the Shills will refuse to recognize this, but the strategy behind their games is similar to the Ouya. The Ouya had access to the Google Play Store...eventually they squeaked out a few exclusives, but for the most part, it was all the same stuff you could get on your phone. 

I have an OUYA, it didn't support the Google Play Store, but if you unlocked it (one  simple checkbox to allow outside sources), you could sideload APKs from a flash drive or cloud source. They encouraged use of the OUYA store to support the community, and like you say, we all know how that turned out. 

The followup console RAZER FORGE used Google Play, but that machine was dead on arrival, and missed by no one. 

The biggest paid game on OUYA was Towerfall, which only sold 7,000 copies on the platform. It did much better on PS4, as you'd expect. 
https://venturebeat.com/2014/04/28/the-peopleless-console-towerfall-sells-a-meager-7000-units-on-ouya-but-hits-stride-on-ps-4/

This is a great illustration for why a developer wouldn't bother with a platform that has even less reach than OUYA did. If it were significantly cheaper than a real PC (like OUYA), I know I'd be more interested. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

“Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.”

George Costanza, Seinfeld (1995)

3i6td2.jpg

They'll get there eventually. They just got to learn it for themselves.  (For those wondering, Atari is off the chart to the left.) 

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, racerx said:

Beaten to it, but yeah...the market responded to Atari's "Publication of a document presenting the detailed characteristics of the Atari VCS" with a giant yawn.

Screenshot_20191202-121728.thumb.png.9b457d3958c15f691992c6eccec603b3.png

Aha, I missed that it was a press release, nice catch. That answers my question about who the document was for. It would seem that "Atari" is more interested in the appearance of making a game machine than actually making one. 

• Like 4

I thought that was self evident from the moment they started lying about what they had, or did, over the last two years. One thing is guaranteed. As with most of these crowdfunded things, once (or if) they expel this thing onto the world, that will be that. They'll cut and run on it in a heartbeat while singing the praises of their viable ecosystem to potential penny stock suckers for years to come. That's the only incentive they have to actually squeeze this thing out, but even they are probably afraid the smell of it will be worse than the constipation of never finishing. They get nothing from supporting it beyond unloading whatever initial units they produce. 

• Like 3