IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 12/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, Zoyx said:

Sony is selling them at a loss. You usually put excess inventory on sale before the release of the next generation.

Sounds like you don't like the Atari VCS. I recommend that you don't buy it.

Thank you for your recommendation. I looked into it and discovered that neither you nor I can actually buy it.

You saved me $300.

So, again, thank you.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, keithbk said:

Thank you for your recommendation. I looked into it and discovered that neither you nor I can actually buy it.

You saved me $300.

So, again, thank you.

Great news! Does this mean you will move on with your life and stop whining about the new VCS?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

"Weird. Must be a RAM issue, because it has the same APU," he types, making a mental note to switch his GameStop 400 pre-order later.

giphy.gif.e0f25844bfa0d14ffb2bd5f884e1286b.gif

The strategy is to buy the Atari 400, then spend $50 on 16 GB upgrade kit. Instant Atari 1600.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

The strategy is to buy the Atari 400, then spend $50 on 16 GB upgrade kit. Instant Atari 1600.

And yet, it'll still play Borderlands 2 at 12 FPS. 

And don't forget that with a paltry 32GB of internal storage, you'll have to invest into external storage too. 

Such savings for no real power!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Great news! Does this mean you will move on with your life and stop whining about the new VCS?

The VCS doesn't affect my life because I was unaware of it when they crowdfunded and I never put any money into it.

My concern arises from people who gave them money who may never see a product from their hard-earned dollars. $300 may not seem like a lot to some people, but to others, it may be a week's salary.

I don't like scammers and thieves.

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

I plan to do this with my unit (that's if it ships... :P)

Unfortunately for you I'm on the same stance as others here-- this project is a joke and is totally destined for failure. For a long time I was on the same boat as you, and I even wanted to develop an exclusive game for the VCS. That's how excited I actually was about it.

But months passed, and I contacted Atari via email to get more insider/developer specifics about the console and its SDK. I made sure I was professional and polite in my message to them, so it was nothing I did wrong. The only response I got from Atari was a somewhat scripted response that basically said "We will share more information soon!" etc. That isn't exactly the best way to get off on a good foot with probably your only willing developer that's interested in creating exclusive game content for your platform.

Besides that little mishap, there have been instances where I was very constructive towards Atari and gave them proper feedback on the Indiegogo page comments section, and they outright ignored my suggestions as they did with everyone else. Their communication is absolutely non-existent, and their defensiveness when we pester them for more details is setting a bad impression and is a direct result of all the negative feedback being poured out by the media. 

These reasons mentioned are what caused me to effectively switch sides and run with what everyone else on this thread is saying. That being said, I'm regrettably locked into my purchase-- so I'll be waiting to see if they deliver a console to my doorstep after the holidays. If they do, then awesome. It will be my own nifty little streaming box, and an emulation device for Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar games (and perhaps some MAME). But that's all it's going to be.

I'm definitely interested in looking at the Intellivision Amico as a potential platform to make content for, and I may even make my ex-VCS game exclusive to it.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

And yet, it'll still play Borderlands 2 at 12 FPS. 

And don't forget that with a paltry 32GB of internal storage, you'll have to invest into external storage too. 

Such savings for no real power!

Internal storage... it has an m.2 slot.

It has plenty of power. It'll be able to play esport games at 60 fps.

Edited by Zoyx
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Zoyx said:

Are pancakes a taco? If so, then yes.

They are not. I think you might be in the wrong forum. 

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

Maybe that will happen around the same time you stop defending the indefensible?

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

That, Kurt, is known as "polishing a turd."

13 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Show us where somebody "official" said it has an m.2 slot. Everything shown to date lists it as a 32GB eMMC drive. That means small capacity, slow access, low price, soldered to the mainboard. External storage will be possible via USB. Somebody seeking "plenty of power" would do better with a PC from a proven company or a self-built machine. Not a late, poorly conceived publicity stunt from a t-shirt lifestyle brand. We will all have fun with the benchmarks if/when "Atari VCS" shows up. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Show us where somebody "official" said it has an m.2 slot. Everything shown to date lists it as a 32GB eMMC drive. That means small capacity, slow access, low price, soldered to the mainboard. External storage will be possible via USB. Somebody seeking "plenty of power" would do better with a PC from a proven company or a self-built machine. Not a late, poorly conceived publicity stunt from a t-shirt lifestyle brand. We will all have fun with the benchmarks if/when "Atari VCS" shows up. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_VCS_(2020_console) - look under storage.

Edited by Zoyx

18 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Yes, M.2 storage which can cost almost as much as the VCS itself for a 2TB stick (and on Cyber Monday! LOL). Such savings( excepting that, by the time you're all done with a VCS build that amounts to something, you could've bought a far more powerful mid-range gaming PC for around the same amount; or one of the big three consoles that still will outclass the VCS and actually have exclusives to them)!!!

And here I thought you weren't into "conspiracy theories?" That video you posted a few pages back showed various old games incapable of reaching 60fps, even on lower settings, and here you're asserting that "esport games" will run at 60 without a hitch. We saw Borderlands or BL2 supposedly running on VCS hardware some months ago, and it struggled to keep up. So not sure where you're pulling this "plenty of power" from. Unless you mean plenty of power in running Stella emulation, sure. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yes, M.2 storage which can cost almost as much as the VCS itself for a 2TB stick (and on Cyber Monday! LOL). Such savings( excepting that, by the time you're all done with a VCS build that amounts to something, you could've bought a far more powerful mid-range gaming PC for around the same amount; or one of the big three consoles that still will outclass the VCS and actually have exclusives to them)!!!

And here I thought you weren't into "conspiracy theories?" That video you posted a few pages back showed various old games incapable of reaching 60fps, even on lower settings, and here you're asserting that "esport games" will run at 60 without a hitch. We saw Borderlands or BL2 supposedly running on VCS hardware some months ago, and it struggled to keep up. So not sure where you're pulling this "plenty of power" from. Unless you mean plenty of power in running Stella emulation, sure. 

Rocket League and Overwatch will run fine.

A 500 GB m.2 costs $60. Less if you catch a sale.

A wikipedia entry without a citation is not proof. 

But the October Medium Update does count, "Atari" did say that recently. It's a change from what they have said repeatedly in the past. Kurt is correct!

The large, relatively open space in the center of the board is where the cooling solution, comprised of a blower fan and venting system, will sit. Toward the front of the board is an open area with receptacles that will accept an M.2 SATA solid state hard drive so users can upgrade the internal storage. Not visible here are the twin SODIMM DDR4 4GB RAM sticks (8GB total) on the board’s belly, which can be upgraded. There are also two additional USB ports that will be accessed on the front riser of the VCS, right under the front fascia.

• Like 6

While @Zoyx didn't technically lie, I'm going to call out this squirrelly move:

Shot:

On 12/1/2019 at 1:08 PM, ColecoJoe said:

Sounds like you’re a VCS backer. How much money you got in this thing?

20 hours ago, Zoyx said:

None

Chaser:

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

when-i-take-a-shot-of-cheap-liquor-with-no-chaser-66555.gif

• Haha 8

14 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

While @Zoyx didn't technically lie, I'm going to call out this squirrelly move:

Shot:

Chaser:

Yeah, I plan on buying one when it is released. I'm currently not a backer.

Edited by Zoyx
  • Like 1

Number of platforms I can think of that can play Rocket League, Overwatch, Borderlands, and Atari Vault (or Flashback): 4+, including Xbone, PS4, Windows, Switch ...

Number of functions shown on unreleased "Atari VCS" that cannot be done elsewhere, better, right now: zero

I guess AntStream will have the 80-in-one Atari Anthology, rentable for $10/month ... 

But it's your money. We won't think any less of you. 

I will totally think less of anyone who buys one of these, especially now

• Haha 12

24 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Number of platforms I can think of that can play Rocket League, Overwatch, Borderlands, and Atari Vault (or Flashback): 4+, including Xbone, PS4, Windows, Switch ...

Number of functions shown on unreleased "Atari VCS" that cannot be done elsewhere, better, right now: zero

I guess AntStream will have the 80-in-one Atari Anthology, rentable for $10/month ... 

But it's your money. We won't think any less of you. 

Reveal hidden contents

I will totally think less of anyone who buys one of these, especially now

I don't know what I am going to use it for. I may not even use it for gaming. We'll see.

• Like 1

Just now, Zoyx said:

I see you have limited knowledge of what computers can do. You are out of your league. You should stop posting.

I see that you have a limited ability at trolling and how to communicate. But you can keep on posting, because it's hilarious. Especially when considering the VCS as a serious living room PC solution. ?

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I see that you have a limited ability at trolling and how to communicate. But you can keep on posting, because it's hilarious. Especially when considering the VCS as a serious living room PC solution. ?

Yep, it could be used as a living room PC. What else could it be used for besides gaming?

Yeah, I'm being a whee bit patronizing, but you've earned it.