IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Keep it civil, please. ;)  I buy all kinds of computers and micro's all the time, some I've never even used yet.  I am getting a laser cutter and dye cut machine shortly, as well as a heat press.  I am gonna put AA stickers on all of them.

• Like 4

I use low spec computers all the time, just not in the living room, even the embedded ryzen stuff is really only useful for embedded things, like running a freestyle coke machine or a redbox. I recently had a polite argument with a colleague at work, says we need 3,000$ industalized i7's, I said what for, the computer is only run one application in its entire life, and its a labview program.

That's a great use case of something like whats going into the ataribox ... living room gaming, its going to struggle with more demanding emulators, its going to stuggle with 4k content if its heavily encoded, its going to struggle with xbox 360 era games at equal or lower quality ... even the full size G series ryzens struggle with e-sports games at current resolutions and quality expectations 

dunno, shrug

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Yep, it could be used as a living room PC. What else could it be used for besides gaming?

Yeah, I'm being a whee bit patronizing, but you've earned it.

Lol, you might think so, but it only sounds like that in your head. 

A variety of more capable options for those laughably considering the VCS as just their TV computer have been shared in this thread. If you're not going to use it as a game machine (the primary marketing angle from Atari - I've noticed that since Rob Wyatt left, they've barely mentioned the sandbox mode that they were touting for a time), but as a PC, what are you going to do with it then, that you can't already do with the device you're using to browse this forum? Name me something that the VCS can do from a PC usage perspective that a Raspberry Pi3/Rock64/Intel NUC can't do. They can all stream videos. They can all do word processing. They can all use art programs. They can all be used to make music. They can all run basic video editors. And they cost half the price of a VCS and are out now. So far you've been showing an Atari level of competence answering such questions, so I don't expect anything brilliant on your part. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Osgeld said:

I use low spec computers all the time, just not in the living room, even the embedded ryzen stuff is really only useful for embedded things, like running a freestyle coke machine or a redbox. I recently had a polite argument with a colleague at work, says we need 3,000$ industalized i7's, I said what for, the computer is only run one application in its entire life, and its a labview program.

That's a great use case of something like whats going into the ataribox ... living room gaming, its going to struggle with more demanding emulators, its going to stuggle with 4k content if its heavily encoded, its going to struggle with xbox 360 era games at equal or lower quality ... even the full size G series ryzens struggle with e-sports games at current resolutions and quality expectations 

dunno, shrug

The R1606G has built in hardware h.265 encode/decoder... should be able to handle 4k video just fine. No, it won't handle the xbox 360 emulator... emulation here is immature. I don't have my hopes up for the dolphin emulator either. Cheaper than a celeron NUC with better performance, seems like a good buy.

4 minutes ago, racerx said:

Damn. Well there's a convincing testimonial.

I'm sold.

Can an Xbox be used as a web server, vpn server, ad-blocker, plex server, network storage?

An Atari VCS can.

Just now, Zoyx said:

Can an Xbox be used as a web server, vpn server, ad-blocker, plex server, network storage?

An Atari VCS can.

An Xbox (or Playstation, or Nintendo) knows exactly what it wants to be, which is why it excels at it.

Atari hasn't done much to convey why this exists, so it's no wonder you're not sure sure what you're going to do with it.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, racerx said:

An Xbox (or Playstation, or Nintendo) knows exactly what it wants to be, which is why it excels at it.

Atari hasn't done much to convey why this exists, so it's no wonder you're not sure sure what you're going to do with it.

It's a PC with access to the Atari Store. Pretty simple, actually.

1 minute ago, Zoyx said:

It's a PC with access to the Atari Store. Pretty simple, actually.

A PC with no storage and no OS with as much upgradabilty as a laptop (not much), built by an unknown entity somewhere in China with warranty support of unknown quality, without speaking of availability of proper windows drivers for the "sandbox" mode.

Delivered by a dubious company who started the project with a guy who couldn't deliver a smartwatch, then switching to a guy branded as the X-Box Jesus, who either was let go for not delivering either or left because he wasn't paid (or a mix of both).

Oh, and I should have made a screenshot but the Atari VCS website was showing "available now" before switching back to "pre-order" a few days ago.

This really looks like the Fyre Festival of un-consoles..

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Where is this store?  Surely, if the VCS is just a cheap computer, you should be able to access it from any old Linux box.

Dunno. They might have it set up so you can purchase and download only within the Atari linux distro. Or not.

Another question is whether the AtariOS will be installable on other PCs.

Edited by Zoyx

2 minutes ago, Zor said:

A PC with no storage and no OS with as much upgradabilty as a laptop (not much), built by an unknown entity somewhere in China with warranty support of unknown quality, without speaking of availability of proper windows drivers for the "sandbox" mode.

Delivered by a dubious company who started the project with a guy who couldn't deliver a smartwatch, then switching to a guy branded as the X-Box Jesus, who either was let go for not delivering either or left because he wasn't paid (or a mix of both).

New user out of the blue and pretty much nails it.  Get this man a taco.

Certainly worlds more cogent than Kurt's "it's a web server, vpn server, ad-blocker, plex server, network storage living room gaming PC with access to the Atari store that also makes mean julienne fries" sales pitch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Another question is whether the AtariOS will be installable on other PCs.

If there is actually such a thing, I am sure it will take some teenagers to figure out how to install it elsewhere, within days.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

If there is actually such a thing, I am sure it will take some teenagers to figure out how to install it elsewhere, within days.

It's a thing, from Rob Wyatt over a year ago:

“Our core architecture consists of the Atari Secure Hypervisor and a heavily modified linux kernel called the AtariOS. All of this is in flash memory and before the AtariOS loads, any external storage device is checked, and if a bootable device is found, the OtherOS on that device is loaded instead.

We don’t have a typical OS loader like UBoot or GRUB, and because the CPU is already in 64 bit protected mode from our boot code, the OtherOS will need its typical startup code changing.”

2 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I have a quantum processing unit on my desk.  Are you going to believe that, blindly?  I can not show you, because partners and lawyers.

Of course I am, you are a man of stature and integrity.

“Our core architecture consists of the Atari Secure Hypervisor and a heavily modified linux kernel called the AtariOS. All of this is in flash memory and before the AtariOS loads, any external storage device is checked, and if a bootable device is found, the OtherOS on that device is loaded instead.

We don’t have a typical OS loader like UBoot or GRUB, and because the CPU is already in 64 bit protected mode from our boot code, the OtherOS will need its typical startup code changing.”

So you have to unplug your external storage everytime you want to boot in "AtariOS" ? How does that work if your other OS is on a M2 stick ?

"the OtherOS will need its typical startup code changing.”

What does that mean ?

Edited by Zor
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's a really expensive doorstop. 

2 hours ago, Zoyx said:

I see you have limited knowledge of what computers can do. You are out of your league. You should stop posting.

I am disappointed with you both. If you have both the right length of cables it can function as both a doorstop and TV PC at the same time! 

Sandbox/freedom to do what you want!

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

The R1606G has built in hardware h.265 encode/decoder... should be able to handle 4k video just fine. 

I have no doubt, but that's not what I said, its not uncommon for a computer to "support" a video format, then  chokes running 480p or 720p youtube.

So for local sources it might be fine, streaming media is much heavier compressed, and that's kind of one of the selling points, it streams netflix for mom, it does 4K HDR will it do both ... lol sure it will, gfl with that 

No, it won't handle the xbox 360 emulator...

Reading is not your strong suit, I personally think it will be having issues with dreamcast emulation, but again what I said is XBOX 360 QUALITY (not emulation), hell even a 2006 era 360 can run boarderlands 2 faster than 12FPS, sure its using a lot more power to do so, but so far that's not much of a gee wowzers for the ataribawx 

Cheaper than a celeron NUC with better performance, seems like a good buy.

Not really when one can slap together a AMD Athlon 300GE or even a 240 for 50 ish bucks on a mini itx board and have 2x the performance @ around 200$

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, Zor said:

So you have to unplug your external storage everytime you want to boot in "AtariOS" ? How does that work if your other OS is on a M2 stick ?

What does that mean ?

This was written when they were working with Bristol Ridge and no m.2 slot. I reckon they changed things when they moved to Ryzen.