IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

1 hour ago, racerx said:

New user out of the blue and pretty much nails it.  Get this man a taco.

Certainly worlds more cogent than Kurt's "it's a web server, vpn server, ad-blocker, plex server, network storage living room gaming PC with access to the Atari store that also makes mean julienne fries" sales pitch.

It's a PC. PCs are more versatile than a game console. I like things that are versatile. Dedicated and proprietary boxes piss me off.

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

It's a thing, from Rob Wyatt over a year ago:

“Our core architecture consists of the Atari Secure Hypervisor and a heavily modified linux kernel called the AtariOS. All of this is in flash memory and before the AtariOS loads, any external storage device is checked, and if a bootable device is found, the OtherOS on that device is loaded instead.

We don’t have a typical OS loader like UBoot or GRUB, and because the CPU is already in 64 bit protected mode from our boot code, the OtherOS will need its typical startup code changing.”

Hands up everyone who thinks this is still a relevant and current assessment of the design.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, JaqenHghar said:

Hands up everyone who thinks this is still a relevant and current assessment of the design.

It isn't. It is a reply to CPUWIZ asking if there is an AtariOS. Turns out there is. Feel free to ignore the technical aspects, because they date back to Bristol Ridge.

With that said, Atari probably has instituted something similar to Apple's boot camp for loading in alternate OSs.

52 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

It isn't. It is a reply to CPUWIZ asking if there is an AtariOS. Turns out there is. Feel free to ignore the technical aspects, because they date back to Bristol Ridge.

With that said, Atari probably has instituted something similar to Apple's boot camp for loading in alternate OSs.

This is why they need to do a video of the thing booting up. I really don't understand why they haven't at this point. If they habe the OS show it. That has nothing to do with partners. 

You are just guessing as to how they are probably doing it, others are guessing they have nothing, I'm in the middle thinking they have something but its underwhelming. They are either dumb in not showing what they have, or are trying to hide that it isn't what they hyped it to be. That's why I'm in the middle. The 'games' announcement is an indicator of that. (Nothing against AntStream, it seems neat but is not a big games announcement).

• Like 7

Just now, MrBeefy said:

This is why they need to do a video of the thing booting up. I really don't understand why they haven't at this point. If they habe the OS show it. That has nothing to do with partners. 

No they don't. They don't need to do a damn thing.

• Confused 1

Just now, Zoyx said:

No they don't. They don't need to do a damn thing.

Well they are excelling at doing nothing and showing next to nothing.

Technically, they don't have to deliver anything either. Beauty of using IGG. And at that point just cancel all pre-orders as there was no money exchange there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TACODON said:

As someone who foolishly gave them money. I will say yes they need to show something. Why would anyone argue they shouldn't show you what you paid for?

Nobody makes these requirements for Microsoft or Sony. Why the special treatment for Atari?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zoyx said:

Nobody makes these requirements for Microsoft or Sony. Why the special treatment for Atari?

I can't believe I'm responding to this kind of idiocy, but because those are multi-billion dollar companies with proven track records that aren't constantly beating the preorder drum for phantom product.

You're right, though. They don't have to do a damn thing, and their company can continue to be an unfunny punch line trading at .31 Euro in the penny stock market.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Lol, it makes all the difference. Have you never heard of crowdfunding and how it works before? 

They've done plenty of updates. Why should they appease a bunch of trolls?

• Haha 1

I heard a lot of bad stuff and negative talk about the Nintendo NX before they showed anything. Also a company that has been making hardware.

You and others are getting all wound up over ONE thread, on ONE forum, that is having some FUN. This forum isn't causing the Atari 2019-2020 game crash nor is it hurting pre-orders. The majority of people don't care about the VCS, don't know about it, and won't because it won't make it to shelves (online Wal-Mart and Gamestop does not mean they will be in brick amd mortar stores).

In case you didn't know there is another thread in the modern gaming section of this forum. It isn't a taco thread. I would encourage you to go there and have some fun there talking about what you would like to do with your VCS when you do get one.

Edited by MrBeefy
Added link for those who don't know.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, why should they appease a bunch of their investors and potential audience beyond the initial backers?  

And lol, "plenty of updates." Which is why they said no news is good news!

giphy.gif.e2a4c092f0c571aedbc9d8988b0f6532.gif

Sorry TacoDon. Low hanging fruit...or tacos. 

• Haha 3