IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Zoyx said:

It's a PC. PCs are more versatile than a game console. I like things that are versatile. Dedicated and proprietary boxes piss me off.

This is how I'm approaching it. It's a really styley looking little PC. It may not be a powerhouse but at that price I don't think it's too bad for a PC, considering the size/convenience. I wouldn't mind one for everyday PC stuff. I had an Alienware Alpha and I loved it and that was way more expensive. Sadly I don't think it will ever come out, though. Atari really ballsed this one up.

37 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Nobody makes these requirements for Microsoft or Sony. Why the special treatment for Atari?

34 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

What was the last game system that Sony or Microsoft crowdfunded?

31 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

Doesn't make any difference.

I don't know why I hold out hope you're not just amusing yourself by trolling this thread, but it's hard to see it otherwise with this kind of slippery reply. This is not a hard concept to follow. You asked why this "special treatment" for Atari. The answer is because their situation is unique: first, in that they alone took the money in advance as @MrBeefy said, so people (particularly those who put the money in) are obviously more anxious to see that faith validated. It's not at your discretion to dismiss something that obviously is a blatant difference. (If you're going to troll, at least try to be a bit more clever in deflecting the point. That last reply above was on the intellectual level of "I know you are, but what am I?")

Second, it's never been necessary to beg Microsoft and Sony for tangible demos. They do it voluntarily, publicly, and well in advance of the product launch. Have you never seen an E3 ever? Please don't tell me you need the difference between the Microsoft's, Sony's, and Atari's E3 presences explained to you. So, apples and oranges, really. 

Atari sucks at this. Plain and simple. If Microsoft or Sony failed at the PR so spectacularly, they'd probably be taken to task, too. They certainly have been mocked for less egregious missteps.

Even if you're not trolling, you're no better than anyone else in this thread when it comes to speculation. You're just tending to the most optimistic explanation in absence of information. I mean I could speculate that there is no AtariOS (e.g. Wyatt was just talking about plans or a work in progress, not something he'd actually finished), no games, no Store, and they haven't even figured out how to make Atari Vault work on the thing... if there is even a thing that runs software yet. It's no less defendable a position than any other speculation here.

Before a launch, the core issue at hand is not what they have or haven't done, but their track record of credibility. It's par for the course for crowdsourced efforts to build credibility and excitement as a way of making the thing "go viral". You want those who didn't get in on the Founder package jealous of those that did, rather than thanking their lucky stars that they didn't pay a cent for the entertainment of watching what could easily be a dumpster Fyre (as @Zor rightly alluded to). That's not how you build a brand. Atari is failing at this.

Here's a little experiment for you: tune in tomorrow to see the Amico response. They're either going to reveal a lot on Dec 3 as they promised, or they're going to fail to live up to their promises, and they'll be taken to task for it too. Let's watch and see how that plays out. (I'm not Amico's audience BTW, not interested in getting the thing, but even I can see they at least have some expertise on board that Atari does not when it comes to this.)

BTW, to your credit, you're doing one hell of a job in helping some posters here realize their hope of seeing 1000 pages before end of year. So... on their behalf, thanks for that? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth I think Stadia is a dumb idea, and I love Google. Use it all the time.

3 minutes ago, TACODON said:

At this point I just wish someone would buy out Atari and we could all move on. Hopefully Taco Bell, Del Taco or even Taco John's... Would be interested? 

Part of me wants it to just die and go public domain, the other part wants to see it thrive and not make dumb business adventures. I get licensing the heck out of their stuff but they were not in the best of place to build something.

The main problem with licensing is that the Atari 2600 library has been pimped out so much it is not that exciting. New or updated IPs would be good but that takes money and resources they don't have.

It kind of sucks that the newest/reimagined Atari IP is going to be made for Amico. Not because I think IE will do a bad job of it, but because it would be cool if Atari would/could.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

Nobody makes these requirements for Microsoft or Sony. Why the special treatment for Atari?

You can’t be serious. 

That’s because it has become an industry standard.

The only special treatment Atari has received is having collected millions of dollars with no accountability. Somehow, amazingly, they’re still not required to show any working hardware, which is usually done during the prototype phase.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Part of me wants it to just die and go public domain, the other part wants to see it thrive and not make dumb business adventures. I get licensing the heck out of their stuff but they were not in the best of place to build something.

No! Collectorvision would claim it, then release 'Atari' games on Master System that I'd miss out on because they can't find enough donor carts and I'd cry.

2 minutes ago, MantaNZ said:

No! Collectorvision would claim it, then release 'Atari' games on Master System that I'd miss out on because they can't find enough donor carts and I'd cry

I can't see any realistic scenario where it goes into the public domain. Assets never die. They just change hands. Atari was dead as dead can be back in the 90s until Hasbro bought it off some holding company for pittance. If someone started a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds to buy Atari and give it to the community, it would fail, because the more interest there was in the crowdfunding campaign, the more it would boost Atari's value. You'd be chasing your own tail. Who could buy Atari and turn it into a big thing? Not AtGames. They milk the IP they touch, not nurture it. Honestly, the best idea I've heard came from my teenage kid: that Louis Vuitton or someone like it should buy it and just turn it into a clothing brand and then they'd just dump the software into public domain (since they don't care about the software) as part of a viral marketing strategy.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MantaNZ said:

No! Collectorvision would claim it, then release 'Atari' games on Master System that I'd miss out on because they can't find enough donor carts and I'd cry.

Not sure I would want that either. I know the Phoenix has been plagued with issues too since released and that was a decent chunk of change people paid for too.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JaqenHghar said:

I can't see any realistic scenario where it goes into the public domain. Assets never die. They just change hands. Atari was dead as dead can be back in the 90s until Hasbro bought it off some holding company for pittance. If someone started a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds to buy Atari and give it to the community, it would fail, because the more interest there was in the crowdfunding campaign, the more it would boost Atari's value. You'd be chasing your own tail. Who could buy Atari and turn it into a big thing? Not AtGames. They milk the IP they touch, not nurture it. Honestly, the best idea I've heard came from my teenage kid: that Louis Vuitton or someone like it should buy it and just turn it into a clothing brand and then they'd just dump the software into public domain (since they don't care about the software) as part of a viral marketing strategy.

That is basically what they are now minus the FBs. The FBs have at least been a good toy type product. It has slowly been improved upon over the years. Are there missteps? Yes but last years and this years FBs have been the two most interesting.

If they let the games go public they may as well let it all go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TACODON said:

At this point I just wish someone would buy out Atari and we could all move on.

I know somebody in the US who had the money and means to buy Atari and was trying to buy it during the last bankruptcy, but they told me it ended up being extremely difficult to extract the IP from France after working with a number of lawyers.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

Honestly, the best idea I've heard came from my teenage kid: that Louis Vuitton or someone like it should buy it and just turn it into a clothing brand and then they'd just dump the software into public domain (since they don't care about the software) as part of a viral marketing strategy.

Make it a mass market brand and I'd get behind that 1000% (not that I get a vote). Target would be ideal. ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I dunno guys.  He went from "Something something something conspiracy something something" to "Something something something hate something something".

That shows growth, doesn't it? ?

I hate conspiracies. ?

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I dunno guys.  He went from "Something something something conspiracy something something" to "Something something something hate something something".

That shows growth, doesn't it? ?

So calling Atari "cunts" isn't hate? I guess I learned a new thing.