IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

17 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Not sure I would want that either. I know the Phoenix has been plagued with issues too since released and that was a decent chunk of change people paid for too.

I'd like to mention that I own a CollectorVision Phoenix and it is Awesome!!

Certainly it is a less ambitious project than the ataribox but it also knows its mission and it does exactly what it should do.  If you're looking for a way to play ColecoVision and Super Game Module games (carts and ROMs) in HD (While also playing Atari 2600 ROMs as a bonus), and more cores on the way;  Then I'd wholeheartedly recommend a CollectorVision Phoenix!  It also came with 10 homebrews!! Plus a cool pack in game!

And when the machine was delayed (aren't they always delayed?), CollectorVision told everyone what was going on and how long it would be.  I got mine in October as promised following one delay.

I also feel obliged to say that maybe I am part of the public misconception that it is plagued with issues.  You  see, I had issues on my end, that were not the machine's fault.  And once I understood how to properly update the firmware, The Phoenix has worked like a champ :)  They have a thread to follow issues so they can make sure things go smoothly.

Also Bmack36 and crew who I assume are hobbyists and not a big company had Excellent customer service!  They, along with some other AtariAgers like Ikrananka, Sramirez2008, and AtariLeaf helped me out and got me through my issues very quickly.   I've used customer service phone numbers in the past for companies like Nintendo, Sega, and Sony, and I kid you not CollectorVision (using an AtariAge thread no less) was better and more effective!

Companies like CollectorVision, Opcode, and the Intellivision Entertainment are doing console releases right IMO...Atari SA should take notes.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I'd like to mention that I own a CollectorVision Phoenix and it is Awesome!!

Certainly it is a less ambitious project than the ataribox but it also knows its mission and it does exactly what it should do.  If you're looking for a way to play ColecoVision and Super Game Module games (carts and ROMs) in HD (While also playing Atari 2600 ROMs as a bonus), and more cores on the way;  Then I'd wholeheartedly recommend a CollectorVision Phoenix!  

I never understand this obsession with having 100,000 boxes hooked up to a tv just to play colecovision and 2600 ... IN HD when a 2001 era nodded Xbox does the same thing for every system up to like ps1 for nearly 20 years 

Oh this Do dad is FPGA thats a thing and its hardware! Only cost 800 grand and buuggy but its got cores n shit

• Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, Woulfe said:

Atari VCS - Toaster Edition !

Play games !

Make Toast !

Watch Netflix !

Don't ask us how it works, it just does !

Limited Edition !

1 of 42 !

Cost - Just buy our company, please...

ataribreadbox.jpg

* Operating system not included, you gotta do that yourself folks

An Atari VCS Toaster? Now you made my day

Sooo, release date is March 20, 2020?
Best hurry up and change that date a month earlier because Doom Eternal will be released, no one will be looking at this turd unless it has that game and I dont thing iD is going to make a port oh wait I forgot SANDBOX MODE!, so a release date on the same day as a AAA title? that spells DOOM for Atari...
get it? yuk yuk.

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 4

"Atari VCS Q&A with COO Michael Arzt" deserves some more discussion. Unlike Feargal MacConuladh (destroyer of smartwatch crowdfunding, talker of shit, litigator of employer) and Rob Wyatt (jumper from planes, breaker of legs, quitter of teams), Mike Arzt is not good at self-promotion. He seems to prefer a backstage role, and is quite camera shy, rarely appearing for interviews these days. He's the longest-serving member of the "VCS team" from what we can see from the outside, and it looks like he's going to stay that way. He does this my minimizing his exposure, most recently, by interviewing himself. 

They posted this on Thanksgiving Day, which has the effect of burying what many would see as bad news. There's so much spin in this it's making me dizzy. Mike Arzt is like, "what are you going to believe, me or your own lying eyes?"

giphy.gif

Q: Atari originally planned to launch the VCS in late spring/early summer of 2019. In March of this year you announced that you would delay things and not ship the system until March 2020. What was behind the schedule change?

Michael Arzt: In March 2019, we decided to make some modifications to our hardware in order to improve the system’s performance and life span by upgrading the microprocessor to AMD Ryzen™, the latest generation of AMD chips. This important change was not made lightly and was based on feedback from the Atari VCS backer community, internal user research, device testing, and planned in close collaboration with our development partners.

The biggest change came as a result of work with our partners at AMD, when we were offered the opportunity to incorporate an all-new microprocessor built on a more powerful and more efficient architecture. The team is well-aware that the delay impacted our backers, but feels strongly that we made the right decision to improve the product’s performance.

They went with the upgraded version of the SOC, that's all well and good. That should not impact development of the software frontend, which has not been shown to the public. That should not impact the planned software lineup except perhaps to make it stronger. That should not impact delivery of the controllers, which could have happened independently of the console itself -- weren't the backers charged separately for shipping of those peripherals anyway? They've been hiding behind the "new AMD chip!" excuse for too long now. 

Pay no attention to the October 8 Brief Statement that said "everything is fine, nothing to see here." Michael Arzt is here to make you feel better. Everything will be OK. Nothing is fscked here, Dude. You're being very un-Dude here. They'll call back.

giphy.gif

Q: Where do you stand today with hardware manufacturing and software development?

MA: Regarding hardware, the VCS design and engineering development teams have been working closely with our manufacturing partners and suppliers over the past several months.

I am excited to be able to share some initial photos of the first Atari VCS pre-production units, fresh off the assembly line and on their way to the extensive testing processes. We are deep into the final stages of pre-production and heading toward mass production, which is the focus of our attention today.

All of the VCS hardware, including the controllers, are currently being tested for functionality and reliability, receiving final tweaks as needed. We are also in the final stages of software development and ramping up our efforts to onboard additional game and app developers.

In terms of software, our Atari VCS GUI and storefront is being developed in Unity and is almost complete. The Atari VCS is fully compatible with the Unity game engine, which powers almost 50 percent of the world’s games, and we are working closely with Unity to ensure that their large and talented developer community has the resources and support it needs to bring the best games and apps to the Atari VCS platform. We have several studios lined up for the VCS launch window and will have more to say about them and their titles when we are closer to retail launch.

They've been in "the final stages" for a very long time now. By now, we all know what that "ramping up" really means "stalling for more time." These tasks could and should have been done in parallel, if not lined up prior to when they took money from unsuspecting backers. To what extent are they actually "working with Unity" if the thing is already "fully compatible with the Unity game engine?" Unity works on everything, it's something that can be taken for granted, like breathable air or internet access on a modern computer. Hiding the names of the "several studios lined up" isn't doing anyone any favors, and again looks like more stalling and excuse-making. 

giphy.gif

Q: Do you anticipate any further changes to the scheduled launch date of March 2020? What about the Indiegogo backers?

Michael Arzt: Right now, the product is progressing according to the updated schedule of March 2020. Our team is committed to bringing a successful product to market that we can be proud of, and that our customers will treasure for many years to come. Atari will always prioritize delivering a high-quality product over a self-imposed deadline. That was true at the project’s start, it was true in March 2019, and it is true today.

Our Indiegogo backers are extremely important to us, and the entire team and I would like to thank our backers once again for their loyalty and continued support. I am sure they will understand our prioritization of delivering a quality product above all else.

When we adjusted our schedule in March 2019, we were aiming for year-end 2019 delivery goal for the Indiegogo backers. Today, given the work still to be done, including the final stages of our certification and testing cycles, we now realize we will need a few more weeks than anticipated. Our teams, factories, and supplier partners are all working incredibly hard to make it happen; but as we all know, the devil is in the details, and we can win or lose a few days during each remaining step and will update our Indiegogo backers as soon as we have a final date.

No matter what, we are talking weeks here, not months, and the Indiegogo backers remain our top priority. Backers will definitely receive their Atari VCS systems before the general public. We will also try to come up with some kind of bonus to reward our backers for their patience.

I love how even in a written interview where he writes both the questions and answers, he leads off with the weaselly "right now," because everyone can see that they're going to miss their self-imposed deadline yet again (there have been at least 3 delays to date). When he says, "we are talking weeks here, not months," the backers would do well to note that he didn't say how many weeks. Could be 52, could be 104? I think it's safe to say that waiting by your mailbox in January 2020 is a recipe for heartache. 

giphy.gif

Q: Can you share your communication plans for the next few months?

Michael Arzt: That’s a good and important question. We always want our backers, fans and customers to know how much they matter to us, and we want them to remain informed.

We understand that all of our stakeholders would like to know where things stand every day and want immediate answers to their individual posts and messages. I respectfully ask them to please understand that, as a public company, we must follow specific protocols that are in place.

In addition, because we also must always consider the needs and wishes of our various partners, we do not always have full control over the pace or timing of our communications. We aim to make periodic updates to our community with complete transparency. If there was one thing I’d want people to always know, it’s that “no news is good news” where the Atari VCS is concerned!

Not only does he say absolutely nothing here, he attempts to inoculate himself from future criticism by insulting the intelligence of his audience. He has never spoken with "complete transparency" about this project, quite the contrary, in fact. In one of his rare media appearances, he embarrassed himself by pretending not to know whether or not his empty-box "prototype" would work if plugged in. Then he accused the writer of making things up. Fortunately, Kieren McCarthy kept the receipts and shared his recording of their conversation and Arzt's evasiveness. This is why Arzt rarely appears on camera, this is why the few snips of video we have seen about "Atari VCS" have been redacted (the Cnet video in particular), and this is why he takes a month to interview himself so he can control the narrative and not get caught up by questions he can't answer. 

Then he says, "If there was one thing I'd want people to always know, it's that 'no news is good news' where the Atari VCS is concerned!" He demonstrates an astounding level of contempt for his backers, his company, and the truth. I guess Atari SA is lucky to have such a loyal stooge on their team, but it's not a good look.

giphy.gif

Q: Let’s return to the redesign of the Atari VCS in March 2019. Why was it so important?

Michael Arzt: The first and most impactful improvement was the switch to the new AMD Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 SoC in order to support 4K 60fps HDR content. The all-new Ryzen APU is also faster, cooler, and more efficient, allowing the VCS to benefit from a simpler and more effective power architecture and thermal solution. The new processor includes built-in Ethernet, Native 4K video with modern HDCP, and a secure frame buffer that fully-supports DRM video. This upgrade will translate to better overall performance in a cooler and quieter machine.

We also announced some great changes to the industrial design of the Atari VCS, including a subtle rise to the base of the chassis that both looks better and allowed us to add front-facing USB 3.0 ports which makes them more accessible and therefore more useful to our users. Modifications were made to both the Modern Controller and Classic Joystick as well. These improvements came from rounds of internal testing that helped us identify more specific requirements for the products, allowing us to also incorporate feedback from backers who are most passionate about the project.

If they wait just a little bit longer, there will almost certainly be a new generation of AMD Ryzen APU, and their machine would be even better! Then they could hide behind that as yet another delaying tactic. Sorry Mike, you already used this excuse in your very first question. Besides, we all know that the "ribbed" design was dumb and served no purpose. Sorry Mike, you don't get credit for reversing an obvious mistake that would not work in reality. I'm surprised you're not blaming it on "partners" as you have so many times in the past. 

giphy.gif

Q: There has been some vigorous debate in social media about the Atari VCS. What do you make of it?

Michael Arzt: The Atari brand generates a lot of passion. It is only natural that we will attract interest and speculation, especially in the quiet periods heading into a major product launch like this one. Building a complex product like the Atari VCS from scratch takes time and care, and with any gaming and video platform, content in particular involves extensive discussions and cooperation with third-party partners. As tempting as it might be, we can’t comment publicly on confidential partnerships and licensing discussions while they are in progress. As you can imagine, we are talking about some large brands that have rigorous confidentiality guidelines.

We are glad to be reaching a stage where we can slowly start revealing more details and answer open and new questions from our community.

Not mentioned: how "Atari" has been trying to shut down debate and discourse about their obvious lack of progress. How @The Historian had to take away their ability to moderate an unofficial Reddit group because of their obnoxious behavior. How they do the same thing on Facebook, Twitter, and their low-traffic "official" Reddit group (here's a link to stuff they've removed). How they're alienating people who would otherwise support their brand, especially the backers of their "un-console." And of course, he trots out the evergreen "we can't comment publicly on confidential partnerships" excuse, just as he has done since the beginning. Show of hands from anyone who expects them to pull a rabbit out of their arzt hat at the 11th hour? Not me. 

"We are glad to be reaching a stage where we can slowly start revealing more details ...." Too late, chump. You have zero credibility. 

giphy.gif

Q: Will the Atari VCS have original games, native apps, or a browser experience?

Michael Arzt: All three. The Atari VCS will be a gateway to a mix of original games and native apps. The primary way to access games and services will be through the proprietary Atari VCS interface and app store. If a service is not available as an app on our platform at launch, it can still be accessed through the internet browser. Content will include classic, new, and indie games from both Atari and third-party developers, along with entertainment apps for streaming video content, including TV shows and movies.

We have several game studios lined up for the VCS launch window and will have more to say about them and their titles when we are closer to retail launch. Our compatibility with Unity obviously opens things up as well.

In addition, the exclusive Atari VCS Edition of the Antstream Arcade app will give Atari VCS users immediate access to a library of more than a thousand licensed retro games.

Chromium is free and open-source. "Atari" didn't build that, and you certainly don't need an AtariBox to use it. Once again Arzt is attempting to take credit for the existence of free software and commodity hardware. Antstream runs on existing hardware. TV shows and movies are available elsewhere. Unity compatibility is not a feature. Failing to list any --ANY -- other software at this stage of the game is simple malpractice.

giphy.gif

Q: One recent report claimed there will be no native apps at launch, and that all services such as Netflix will be accessible through a Chrome-style browser.

Michael Arzt: As I already mentioned, the primary way to access games and services will be through the proprietary Atari VCS interface and app store. For example, if a service such as Netflix is not available as an app on our platform at launch, it can still be accessed through the web browser and the Sandbox Mode really allows unlimited possibility to reach anything on the web.

We don’t expect the pre-launch version shipping to our Indiegogo backers to have a full complement of native third-party apps. There will be games to play and things to do, but the first big wave of apps isn’t likely to come before Q1 of next year as we build toward our full retail launch and see a ramp up of the installed base. Much of this is obviously dependent on the app development timelines and contributions of any developers looking to make their apps available on the Atari VCS.

Atari’s goal is to have the content providers that our community values the most be accessible via apps, and the team expects the volume of content available will grow over time as more Atari VCS units sell into the market and we expand our gaming and entertainment partnerships. Articles that suggest otherwise are inaccurate.

Again with the "ramp up of the installed base." If I were a backer of this, I would prefer to receive a box of ramps (the vegetable) to the "full complement of native third-party apps." He won't name a single one. I don't think he can, but since he's hiding behind excuses, we won't know. A good question to ask him (as if he would answer) would be their plan for when (if? haha, no when) Atari VCS fails to take hold in the marketplace once the IGG backers are "satisfied." Do they have an exit strategy? Are there terms of service for how long purchases made in the Atari VCS digital store will be accessible?

Sorry Michael Arzt, you don't get to say, "articles that suggest otherwise are inaccurate." That's like "nobody has proven Atari VCS to be a scam yet." The burden of proof is on you, Michael Arzt. Heavy is the head that wears the Atari Chief Operating Officer crown. I'll bet it smells like Asteroids. 

giphy.gif

Q: What can you tell us about the custom UI?

Michael Arzt: The VCS is a flexible system designed for multi-peripheral input, including the new Classic Joystick, Modern Controller, and mouse-keyboard. We are hard at work on the UI, which is being developed in Unity and looks really awesome.

The version of the UI we shared with reporters at E3 was serviceable as a demo but was nowhere near the level of quality we have achieved now and will deliver at launch. We’ve made some dramatic improvements to the user experience, and I’m really happy with the team’s current direction and progress. Our goal has been to create a modern UI that “feels like Atari,” meets contemporary expectations and also works seamlessly with our new Classic Joystick and other peripherals.

More stalling! They should make a game about that. Like Night Driver, but your car keeps cutting out and you need to make excuses for it. This could and should have been finished around the time that they took three million dollars on IndieGogo, but no, Arzt would have us believe they're still tightening up the graphics on level 3. It's 2019, and we're even further ahead in terms of technology than Blade Runner (featuring Atari, they'll remind you), and video calls are free. They could demonstrate their process right now. Michael Arzt, why don't you ask your mom to get off Netflix and have her shoot some video of this awesome user interface you've created? Oh, it's not done? And ... partners? Suuuuure. 

giphy.gif

Q: Has the advent of streaming services and subscriptions, like Stadia and Apple Arcade, affected your approach at all?

Michael Arzt: Actually, it has validated our approach. The Atari VCS was designed with digital delivery as part of the plan from conception. Digital delivery is the current and future state of the games and entertainment industry and how many customers increasingly prefer to discover and purchase new content.

When we made the decision to upgrade to the new AMD Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 SoC, we did so primarily because it enables the VCS to fully-support 4K 60fps HDR content from the ever-growing list of new streaming services. The Atari VCS is designed to be able to embrace any compatible game streaming platform, like Stadia and others still to come down the road.

We see the Atari VCS as a game machine that is also a flexible multi-purpose platform for the living room that will offer natively installed games and content, along with other entertainment options through a myriad of streaming services. Plus unmatched freedom via the Sandbox Mode.

Translation: we got nothing. But maybe you can run someone else's content.

giphy.gif

Q: Will the OS and store be part of the Atari VCS when it ships to Indiegogo backers?

Michael Arzt: Yes. The Atari VCS Indiegogo units are going to ship with the Atari OS and integrated storefront. The VCS features an intuitive, easy to navigate graphical user interface, designed for joystick or controller, and an integrated store for games and apps, running on the proprietary Atari OS which is based on a Linux foundation.

In addition, the Atari VCS Sandbox mode — a unique feature not available on more traditional closed-off console ecosystems — will also let users install and boot to a second compatible operating system such as Linux, Windows and others. This open, flexible, multi-platform approach has drawn tremendous user interest and is part of what make our system unique. The VCS will allow you to play games, access all your streaming services, like Steam and other game libraries, all through one device.

The release of the Atari VCS to our Indiegogo backers is an opportunity to get early feedback from a heavily engaged and invested community of passionate users prior to our official launch. We promised backers involvement from the start and this is similar to a software pre-release, which is quite common in the tech and gaming industry.

We expect that early and ongoing user feedback will lead to software updates that improve the experience and functionality. “Early access” does not mean incomplete or unfinished; as with any game system, we look forward to engaging with the community to deliver the best possible Atari VCS experience.

Mike Arzt, you can't have it both ways. You say it's not incomplete or unfinished, yet you also say you're going to take early feedback from your "heavily engaged and invested community of passionate users prior to our official launch." To date, the only accommodation you have shown your fans is to have the "Atari VCS" Facebook and Twitter accounts cease and desist from farting out "news" articles about the ancient history of Atari. I suspect that was not done to please the fans, but rather to reduce the cost of your ineffectual UberStrategist contract. We'll never know, because, you know, partners and contracts. Maybe it's true that "no news is good news," because the backers are going to be in a world of hurt when this stuff finally comes out and smashes their dreams. 

giphy.gif

Q: Stepping back, why did you elect to crowdsource the funding of the Atari VCS using Indiegogo?

Michael Arzt: Atari is fortunate to have a thriving business and a loyal community that loves our games and is passionate about the Atari brand. But would our community want a new, modern console from Atari? The Indiegogo platform and campaign allowed us to answer that question by offering a proof of concept and letting us see how the market would respond.

As widely-reported, the first-day response to the Atari VCS crowdfunding campaign in May 2018 ended up crashing the Indiegogo site. That initial response was truly incredible — not only did we get the support of more than 11,000 individual backers; we were able to sign major retailers and enter discussions with a host of partners. We decided to close our active Indiegogo campaign after 30 days when we hit the $3 million mark so we could focus on product development.

We can’t thank our community enough for its support and enthusiasm. We’re incredibly excited about our progress over the past year and can’t wait to share the fruits of our work. As I’ve said before, we are all huge fans ourselves and know that Atari means a lot to our passionate community, and we are looking forward to making this product something they will use and love for years to come!

Heh, stepping back. Step waaaaaay back, Michael Arzt. Right into the bushes. Further, further ...

giphy.gif

Michael Arzt, you didn't answer the question. Perhaps I can sharpen it up a bit to make it easier, more direct. Why did you use Indiegogo, the sleaziest crowdfunding site there is? If you're so confident in your not-yet-released product, why can't backers get refunds? Why did you stop using their "In Demand" ordering feature? Why haven't you updated the progress bar on the site? You've stated that "Atari" never needed the money, and that your product placement on GameStop and Walmart legitimizes the product. Why not refund all the backers and let them order through conventional means, where they have purchase protection and some basic consumer rights? When do you plan to demonstrate the working platform, complete with UI and software lineup, to say nothing of physical delivery? Why not name some of your major partners? What happens to the project when you realize 11,000 pigeons users aren't enough to sustain a platform? 

Wouldn't it be nice for Michael Arzt to answer some questions about his project from outside the safe confines of an advertorial?

giphy.gif

Yeah, you, chucklenuts. Surely your "fans" deserve better than "no news is good news."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

On 11/7/2019 at 11:44 AM, Flojomojo said:

1436087125_ScreenShot2019-11-07at11_37_34AM.thumb.png.7a81687e438e0f3fb33378563b986c56.png

Anyone care to hazard some guesses as to what they'll get? Here are mine:

The delivery date: delayed into "early 2020" with no satisfying reasons provided as to why. 

Software development kit: Heh. They'll dodge, and just say that you can use whatever you want so long as it would run on Ubuntu. 

Gameplay: Atari 2600 again. Only games from "Atari Vault." Vague promises of other exciting things to come. 

Famous Industry Partner: Something old, preferably laughably irrelevant. Since Warner Brothers once owned Atari, and they now own this character, put my money on Adam West's Batman '66. "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Atari-Bat-Bomb.thumb.png.5a6be58cad51967a7726c403fcb818ca.png

Check it out, all my predictions were right! It got delayed with no satisfying reasons as to why, the software development kit is Unity (free to download, nothing custom by "Atari"), no games just promises, and the partners are secret! What's more secret than Batman? Even his Aunt Harriet doesn't know his secret identity. Fun fact: you've never seen Batman and Mike Arzt in the same room together. Coincidence? I don't think so. 

On 11/8/2019 at 12:13 AM, Agillig said:

My safe prediction is that it will be another vague announcement with no real details, but will include promises of big things to be announced "soon."  Like I said, a safe prediction. 

I'm genuinely curious as to what happens on January 1 when backers don't have their systems.    Will it be like their summer announcement that didn't happen, and they say they didn't mean summer, but summer-ish?  It's a little strange that this console is supposed to be out in a month, and aside from a CNET video, that contains about 20 seconds of looped footage that could just be from a PC, no one has seen it running.

But then again, I'm just a stupid protectionist troll/hater, who doesn't like anything not made in 'Murica, and surely Atari and its loyal supporters will have the last laugh.

They seem to have adjusted ... yet another log on the fire of proof that "Atari" can do whatever it wants to its backers, they'll follow it anywhere. 

On 11/8/2019 at 1:28 AM, frankodragon said:

It probably will be a whole grab bag of random electronic components without instructions.

DIY_Ataco_Kit.thumb.jpg.654ca01c5262a674e8486f3aa175aeb1.jpg

Seems like some people would be perfectly fine with that. 

706386954_ScreenShot2019-12-04at10_18_41AM.thumb.png.f627baf09e7e1cec9e4fe43b2e4eec82.png

173940813_ScreenShot2019-12-04at10_19_18AM.thumb.png.3f073421bfdec42eabee3b1331e8fc39.png255005233_ScreenShot2019-12-04at10_18_58AM.thumb.png.41626c204a1c2443e11585d9481a8834.png

502176810_ScreenShot2019-12-04at10_19_09AM.thumb.png.da011e40b597b4070aee9427d0babcdc.png

On 11/8/2019 at 4:02 AM, JBerel said:

Let's not forget Atari made some pretty specific promises about updates on games being developed for the system and developers. Instead, you got "antstream exists" and nothing they promised. They're likely to simply tell everybody...."we promised you a Linux box Atari VCS in December, so here's a Ronco Pocket Fisherman."

They didn't even get that far, it's more "wait and see."

On 11/8/2019 at 8:27 AM, Flojomojo said:

That seems like a fair question. Since it is yet another announcement of an announcement, since it doesn't increment the Indiegogo update count, and it isn't in their Medium blog, I'd say no.

Speaking of those Medium updates:

July 13 2018, first Medium update Atari VCS Product Q&A #1

August 29, 2018, 47 days later "Behind the Scenes: Atari VCS Mid-Summer Hardware Summit"

November 22, 2018, 85 days later "The Birth of the Atari VCS Operating System: Part 1"

December 19, 2018, 27 days later "Behind the Scenes: Atari VCS™Hardware and Accessories"

March 18, 2019, 89 days later "More Power is Coming to the Atari VCS™"

March 29 2019, 11 days later "Atari VCS™ Structural Improvements and Feature Adjustments"

May 21, 2019, 64 days later "Peripherals Update: Designed for Atari VCS™, in partnership with PowerA"

July 19, 2019, 59 days later "Atari VCS teases the future at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles"

September 30, 2019, 73 days later, "Here Come The Games!"

October 8, 2019, 8 days later, "Atari VCS Plastics, Thermals, and Internals"

There's an average of 51 days between updates, with a median of 59 days between updates, but it's not as though they've ever released these on anything resembling a regular schedule. I particularly like the numbered stuff like "Part 1" that never gets a Part 2 and the inconsistent application of the Atari VCS™ trademark. 

This will be the only update that matters. Can they move the pointer one or two steps to the right?

75663991_ScreenShot2019-11-08at8_17_40AM.thumb.png.c2d1a8276874a999be082db3828756fa.png

Or will they stay the course, remaining in the comfort zone we know so well? 

628307760_YouAreHereBatBomb.thumb.jpeg.1453eefa84853e516223a29f16dde375.jpeg

2046611311_ScreenShot2019-11-08at8_23_04AM.thumb.png.a1a239c3a8657a221acc74ca7ade6258.png

The gap between the "everything is fine" announcement on Oct 8 and the Mike Arzt Delaying Tactics post: 51 days, exactly the average number of days between their posts. Extra Batman Bomb for dropping it on Thanksgiving and hoping no one would notice. Indiegogo marker hasn't moved, "You Are Here" pointer still on target, just as it was in May 2018, 582 days ago for those playing at home. 

On 11/8/2019 at 8:12 PM, JBerel said:

It's usually a month or more as I recall, but they could surprise us all....

with an announcement of a delay anytime now.

Bingo!

On 11/13/2019 at 8:10 AM, Flojomojo said:

One week ago:

1558374446_Comingsoon.thumb.png.75622a2e587b606803339e59714019d9.png

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29e80711e0018bd93891

Maybe we are parsing it incorrectly. The lack of punctuation makes it unclear, in an "eats, shoots, and leaves" kind of way. 

The team is working on a new update post, guys.

That's what Max, John and the rest of the Scooby gang want to hear. 

The team is working on a new update, post guys.

They're much slower at lying, since scaring off Feargal and Wyatt. 

The team is working. On a new update post? Guys.
Be serious, they're not doing anything, certainly not working on communication. 

But seriously, what's with the week-long delay between the pre-announcement and the announcement? It doesn't take seven days to tape over logos, photoshop out part numbers, and type up some easily debunked bullshit. 

"The Atari VCS design and engineering teams just returned from extended trips to China, where they have been working with our manufacturing partners on final details in preparation for system and peripherals mass production, guys."

On 11/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, Flojomojo said:

But what if you're delaying it to make it EVEN BETTER?

some excuses they could use:

new APU

no more ribs

waiting for Antstream
new colors

closed for Chinese New Year

ensuring the best possible experience

need to learn Linux

fundamentally flawed concept

Mike Arzt is actually Mike Kennedy

forgot the password 

Yars' Revenge

basic incompetence

spent all the money

sued by former team members

please join new crowdfunding project

Hm, he only used some of these. Some of them several times. Don't forget, Mike Arzt, the Chinese New Year and new crowdfunding project options are still available for excuse-making. Like Chromium and Ubuntu, they're here for you to exploit. 

new APU

no more ribs

ensuring the best possible experience

need to learn Linux

fundamentally flawed concept

basic incompetence

On 11/17/2019 at 9:09 PM, Flojomojo said:

Watch for the marketing mouthpieces as they try to make lemonade of this. 

????????????????????????????

"We aren't trying to compete with the big companies, we are doing our own thing!"

"Some of the best games ever made were in very constrained environments. That brings out creativity! The Atari 2600 only had 128 bytes of RAM."

"We are all about creativity and fun, you can't play specs."

"Quality is more important that quantity, we are very choosy about what will run on the Atari VCS."

"You can upgrade the RAM and storage!"

"The sandbox environment of Atari VCS allows for unprecedented freedom, a PC-like experience in a cool retro-style case!"

"You're only limited by your own imagination. What other console allows you to create your own games?"

"Fun casual games don't need a lot of power, Atari VCS is cheaper than most smartphones, and only our machine has the classic controller that everyone loves!"

"It's neither a PC nor a console, so you shouldn't compare it to them. It's an un-console!"

????????????????????????????

Fewer reasons to buy, more excuses for delay. It's almost as if Mike Arzt knows there's not a market beyond the prepaid pigeons. What a surprise!

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They'll believe anything, won't they? First Arzt says these aren't the final finishes, then he says that they're almost finished with pre-pre-pre-production or something, then next thing you know, the team just got back from China and they're really excited to be making the frontend in Unity. 

338086842_ScreenShot2019-12-04at11_13_46AM.thumb.png.6f2bc108374d54a7346decbfe3d112a9.png

Stay tuned for more revisionist history from Atari! Remember when they repeatedly insisted that they were on track for December (2019) delivery? 

334295742_ScreenShot2019-12-04at11_14_13AM.thumb.png.dee67093d5d4a2ac5a718ee070d64a1c.png

Sorry Bill, no "LIFETIME" anything coming from the scraps of Atari. Karl's answer is closer to the truth. Andrew doesn't have to assume, their warranty terms are already online and have been for some time. "Atari covers your Atari VCS console, included Classic Joystick or Modern controller, against accidents and mechanical or electrical breakdowns for up to one (1) year. For covered controller and console, you get up to one replacement of a Classic Joystick or one replacement of a Modern Controller, and one replacement of the VCS system box – no deductible required."

So woe unto the customer person who donated to the cause that gets two lemons in a row. 

Blessed are the faithful. "Not bad for a new platform!!" 

535253221_ScreenShot2019-12-04at11_14_39AM.thumb.png.4ed7ed964a204cccfb0a0ebaf296f1d5.png

And then there's this guy. I don't get his sense of humor, I guess I'm not the target demographic. 

1180138822_ScreenShot2019-12-04at11_15_17AM.thumb.png.821ab892f07955a110333c6a9e3d02bc.png

• Haha 6

I'm sorry to announce there apparently were no Biffy Awards given at Free Play Florida 2019.  On their blogSlifker Games was happy for Biff's coverage, though:

- 12/01/2019 - The YouTube channel "Biff's Gaming Videos" did a video called "Free Play Florida 2019 (Part 2) [Arcade Expo]".  In it, you can see "Jungles of Maxtheria" in the beginning of the 2nd video and then a full overview of the game at 00m:37s (there are 3 parts to the video with this being the 2nd one).

I know @JBerel will be crushed.

• Like 3