IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

14 hours ago, Shawn said:

He wasn't chosen, he bought the company.

That he bought the job, does not make him any less of an exceptional fit to the position.

He has an undeniable passion for the company and the project, and is doing an excellent job in hyping the product. Showcasing what they have developed so far, and talking openly about what they have accomplished, and what they are still working on.

I am not an investor in either project, but comparing the two Tommy Tallarico seems the one that has it all together. He knows what he wants to accomplish, and seems to have a solid plan and a competent team to get him there.

The VCS project in comparison seems to have almost no actual information about the product being built. A bit worrying for something supposedly to be finished in a few months time.

The only physical component they are really showing off so far is the shell, not exactly a critical system component. It does not sound like they have finalized the PCB or operating system.

They certainly do not seem to have a lot to show for a year and a half and three million dollars.

• Like 7

On 7/13/2017 at 8:06 PM, Flojomojo said:

I like the futuristic connotations. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dunsel

They could make an ugly add on and call it Edsel

Hmm, Edsel has some new ideas, and it sold over 60,000 units in its first year. Now it's a joke, an older generation's OUYA. 

"Atari" would be lucky to do as well as the Edsel. 

• Like 4

Next update will be obout the Atari VCS name change( i am speculating)

VCS= Very Casual System?
VCS= Very Calculated Scam?
VCS= Very Crap System?
VCS= Venticular Computer System?
VCS= Vaunted Collector's System?

Those are the best name changes I can come up with, I'm guessing this will be the next big update news, since they have nothing to show.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4

It's not too late for them to pack it in. Save the VCS name for the only product they made that really mattered. Don't ruin their legacy. 

Mike Arzt could just use the same language they put on everything they do. 

The realization of the plans, and their operational budget and financing  plan 
remain inherently uncertain, and the non-realization of these assumptions  may 
impact their value.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

This is the video-dude version of my wall-o-text rant. I prefer text but this guy is on point in my opinion. I wonder if anyone is going to have their minds changed at this point? The evidence is pretty overwhelming. 

Looks like there are plenty of others ...

Yep, watched a lot of those videos. MadLittlePixel is awesome, really cool guy. I'm not the biggest fan of DreamcastGuy so much though-- he kinda rubs me the wrong way. He was also inaccurate when he said the Game Board was Atari's other project-- that's Rob Wyatt's own project. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

This is the video-dude version of my wall-o-text rant. I prefer text but this guy is on point in my opinion. I wonder if anyone is going to have their minds changed at this point? The evidence is pretty overwhelming. 

Looks like there are plenty of others ...

I've been wondering that myself.  Reviewtechusa's review of the timeline over the last two years is especially damming.  If you look at it how he puts it and still aren't persuaded, you probably never will be.

Really, the only way this ride ends is when the VCS is finally released and flops.  Of course, the blame for the failure will lie on us trolls at AA.  Yes, us weak, insecure, impotent, powerless,  basement dwelling losers will be blamed for ruining the greatest achievement in mankind's history. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Really, the only way this ride ends is when the VCS is finally released and flops.  Of course, the blame for the failure will lie on us trolls at AA.  Yes, us weak, insecure, impotent, powerless,  basement dwelling losers will be blamed for ruining the greatest achievement in mankind's history. 

"Atari" could cancel it anytime.

"Sorry backers, as you know, you were supporting a project, not pre-ordering a product." The backers gets burned either way, either by losing money (hopefully it could be refunded, or they could be given download vouchers for Atari Flashback Classics or t-shirts or 1Ups or something) or when they get a bomb-diggety plastic/woodgrain brick with no software ecosystem. I can't imagine it being particularly valuable as a "collector's item" when all the biggest fans pledged on the first day. 

I wonder if "Atari" is losing money on this yet, and for how long they are willing to pour money down the Arzt hole. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

"Atari" could cancel it anytime.

"Sorry backers, as you know, you were supporting a project, not pre-ordering a product." The backers gets burned either way, either by losing money (hopefully it could be refunded, or they could be given download vouchers for Atari Flashback Classics or t-shirts or 1Ups or something) or when they get a bomb-diggety plastic/woodgrain brick with no software ecosystem. I can't imagine it being particularly valuable as a "collector's item" when all the biggest fans pledged on the first day. 

I wonder if "Atari" is losing money on this yet, and for how long they are willing to pour money down the Arzt hole. 

A small part of me still hopes they can deliver a piece of hardware of some sort so I can have it and mess with it, and keep it as a curious piece of history. After that, then they can go out of business/file for bankruptcy/get bought out by a larger outfit. XD

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I can't imagine it being particularly valuable as a "collector's item"

Well, some people paid a lot of money to buy cartridges not because they were rare but buried in the desert. So a big failure could make it even more of a collector's item. -_-

• Haha 5

Yeah, even if it's a turd in a box, collectors might still want something purely on account of its rarity.

Personally, I still like the case even after the redesign. If it ever comes out I'd probably pick one up either to hack and install some useful software on, or to totally gut and put a single-board computer in that I can do that with.

However, when the best case scenario for this thing is that it could be the hacked Xbox or Raspberry Pi of the 2020s, I'm still wondering why they're even bothering.

10 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, some people paid a lot of money to buy cartridges not because they were rare but buried in the desert. So a big failure could make it even more of a collector's item. -_-

LOL, yeah...

Well, rare or not, and failure or not-- this new VCS is  an anomaly in that it's technically the first brand-new Atari hardware in 20+ years. It's kinda fascinating in that sense. 

What's dumb about this whole thing is that the hardware actually IS pretty neat. If only they knew what the hell they were doing with the marketing and communication.

I bet there's been a lot of products that are actually really cool ideas, but they just fail because of the same reason-- atrocious communication and marketing. The company doesn't know what the product is supposed to be, and they have their heads up their butts because they just care about making a profit...

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Does Belloq's accent sound at all authentic to your native French ears?

I've heard worse. People (even in France) made fun of Robert Pattinson's accent in The King but I found it pretty good. The real problem was that his vocabulary was far too rich compared to his thick accent.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Osgeld said:

I never understand this obsession with having 100,000 boxes hooked up to a tv just to play colecovision and 2600 ... IN HD when a 2001 era nodded Xbox does the same thing for every system up to like ps1 for nearly 20 years 

Oh this Do dad is FPGA thats a thing and its hardware! Only cost 800 grand and buuggy but its got cores n shit

Why a modded Xbox? Rp3 is way cheaper and takes up a deck of card worth of space by your tv. Heck put a command strip on it and put it on the backside of your tv and you wouldn't see it. It has bluetooth, and it low power and quiet.

Oh and can easily go up to ps1.