IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I called it! now people are sayin' that glossy plastic looks cheap as 2-4-1 Tacos at 3 Amigos.
I have this LED flashlight I bought at Wal-Crap for $2, it is made of very durable plastic, as a design cue it has 5 bands like the Atari VCS shell, in between is glossy plastic but the rest of the flashlight is matte, the matte looks great, the glossy part shows so much scratching it is unbelievable. I am trying to scratch the matte part but I cannot even get 1 hairline to show.
the brand is "Hyper Tough" by the way.

This shiny plastic is going to scratch unless you handle it with latex gloves, but knowing how rabid some of the Atari cheerleaders are I expect nothing but a white glove treatment from them. So now I can confirm that Atari CHOSE to make it glossy, if a $2 LED flashlight can be made with matte high impact resistant plastic , the coleco chame... Atari VCS shell can be made matte as well. This thing is going to get railed on.

My personal advice to collectors, do not even take it out of the box, the slight wind in the room from your movement might blow some dust on the console and scratch it.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

So since we are nearing 1000 it is time to be reflective. The die hards might call me a troll, but these early posts by me how Atari botched this thing. I was really considering getting it. Funny how two year of Atari being dumb changes things.

Glad to know I have the ability to critically think.

From the first 20th of this thread. Lol

On 6/16/2017 at 1:29 AM, MrBeefy said:

"Ataribox" (bleeps back 2600 Pacman start up noise) "open netflix" (makes atari sounding bleeps.) Once finished watching, "ataribox shutdown" (2600 Pacman DEATH noise)

Who needs Alexa when you have Atari.

On 6/25/2017 at 12:36 AM, MrBeefy said:

Shouldn't we figure out a little more about it before we decide it should fail?

On 6/26/2017 at 5:14 PM, MrBeefy said:

Is anyone just appreciative that any of this atari stuff is still out there? I mean everyone wanted a new hardware system. Now that retro 77 is out it seems to be getting picked apart. I sometimes feel the retro players will never be happy until they can go back in time.

I'm happy that I can get a convienent flashback which I will be getting both the Activision 8 and portable. And I'm glad to have another way to play if my hardware craps out.

I'm intrigued by the ataribox

On 6/27/2017 at 4:35 PM, MrBeefy said:

I agree that it won't be a console in the traditional sense I really don't think it will have any arcade, 2600, 7800, etc games on it. If it has nothing to do with legacy hardware that would exclude all of that.

On 7/4/2017 at 12:45 PM, MrBeefy said:

Spiffy. I think the box should be blacker with the woodgrain box.

Wonder if this is what's inside? http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/eagle-box-android-retro-games-console

On 7/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, MrBeefy said:

Maybe its a woodgrain dock for the nintendo switch :D

On 7/6/2017 at 4:53 PM, MrBeefy said:

Maybe it has a different name. Much like the switch was referred as the NX?

On 7/19/2017 at 10:11 AM, MrBeefy said:

I think kickstarter makes sense. They aren't competing with the big three and this is not that type of system. This will be a better way to gauge demand so they don't make too many of them.

Not sure why there is so much hate for something you don't know what it is. I get that it's not enough information to know if it's worth backing.

I will back or not back once I find out the details. Right now the mock ups are intriguing. I understand the comparison to chameleon but at least Atari,while not the powerhouse it once was, has at least been in videogames. Coleco hasn't done anything.

I've had great results with kickstarter and in fact a guy I know just successfully got his online comic book funded to be printed in a hardcover.

I just know I've had friends Interested in this who don't care anything about the 2600 or 7800. So this i think has the potential to have broader appeal than a 2600 in a box would.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:50 PM, MrBeefy said:

Yeah I get that. I had a coworker talk to me about how to find a nes classic because I was the resident nerd at work. Told her there werent any unless she wanted to pay out the ass.

Told her about the raspberry and helped her order one and set it up for her. It's definitely not hard but she definitely didn't want to put in that effort.

I really hope Ataribox turns into something I want and is reasonable. I would like to see atari make steps to become more prominent in videogames. Just like I'm waiting for Nintendo to make their comeback

Guess I only back winners in crowdfunding. :D

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lodmot said:

I'm not the biggest fan of DreamcastGuy so much though-- he kinda rubs me the wrong way. He was also inaccurate when he said the Game Board was Atari's other project-- that's Rob Wyatt's own project. 

Yeah, he seems like the type of guy that would stand very close to you in an elevator, even if were just you and him only. Or, one of those types that stand very close the back of you waiting in a checkout line in a supermarket.

image.png.f5277a4f3d88ab1e3bf89be56dc60058.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Lodmot said:

I'm not the biggest fan of DreamcastGuy so much though-- he kinda rubs me the wrong way. He was also inaccurate when he said the Game Board was Atari's other project-- that's Rob Wyatt's own project. 

Calling him "inaccurate" is being kind. I think the only thing he got right in the first half of the video was the name of the product, "Atari VCS". It's like he woke up and said, "Wow everybody else is doing a VCS video, but I have no idea what is going on.. let me do 5 minutes worth of research and and just wing it."

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Calling him "inaccurate" is being kind. I think the only thing he got right in the first half of the video was the name of the product, "Atari VCS". It's like he woke up and said, "Wow everybody else is doing a VCS video, but I have no idea what is going on.. let me do 5 minutes worth of research and and just wing it."

In all fairness to him, isn't that just what Atari did?

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

8 hours ago, OCAT said:

Next update will be obout the Atari VCS name change( i am speculating)

VCS= Very Casual System?
VCS= Very Calculated Scam?
VCS= Very Crap System?
VCS= Venticular Computer System?
VCS= Vaunted Collector's System?

Those are the best name changes I can come up with, I'm guessing this will be the next big update news, since they have nothing to show.

Nah, it'll be Fred's next big product announcement: Atari's Very Cool School. 

Mike will be your English teacher, Fred's the principal, someone will be teaching science and mathematics (legally, we can't say who yet, but they'll be there, we promise), and Rob was going to teach IT but he's decided he'd do better as a history teacher. 

The qualification you receive will be identical to one you can get in a cereal box, but this one has a Fuji logo on it so it's better. 

4 hours ago, Agillig said:

I mean, it's a valid question, given the probable quality of the system.   Something tells me Atari's customer service might be a bit lacking though.

Gee, what gave it away? The part where they never reply to emails, or the part where they still don't even have a product, let alone the "quality" part? ?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

So since we are nearing 1000 it is time to be reflective. The die hards might call me a troll, but these early posts by me how Atari botched this thing. I was really considering getting it. Funny how two year of Atari being dumb changes things.

Glad to know I have the ability to critically think.

I never really understood the draw.  Even if it wasn't a scam, and even if Atari wasn't incompetent, what is the point of this system?  Unlike the Big 3, Atari doesn't have any major IP's it could use for first party exclusives.  The system is barely able to run PS3/X360 era games.  All of the retro games can be played elsewhere for cheaper.  Aside from real wood and brand loyalty, what was the draw?

• Like 5

DreamcastGuy, the type of guy to stand right next to you in an empty elevator.

DreamcastGuy, the type of guy to stand right behind you in line at Taco Bell with a bill order pickup number.

DreamcastGuy, the type of guy to have "Guy" in his youtube handle.

:D

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Agillig said:

I never really understood the draw.  Even if it wasn't a scam, and even if Atari wasn't incompetent, what is the point of this system?  Unlike the Big 3, Atari doesn't have any major IP's it could use for first party exclusives.  The system is barely able to run PS3/X360 era games.  All of the retro games can be played elsewhere for cheaper.  Aside from real wood and brand loyalty, what was the draw?

Something different than Xbox and PS, big Atari fan, maybe some new Atari games.

If you look at one of those early post I was like, I don't think they are going for a retro box. Funny thing is that is only what they did with the games.

I was interested but never backed it because there wasn't any information, and really in some ways there still isn't. Two years ago if they had done things differently they probably would have had some money from me.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Something different than Xbox and PS, big Atari fan, maybe some new Atari games.

If you look at one of those early post I was like, I don't think they are going for a retro box. Funny thing is that is only what they did with the games.

I was interested but never backed it because there wasn't any information, and really in some ways there still isn't. Two years ago if they had done things differently they probably would have had some money from me.

Lol... I have a very colorful history on this thread (as a lot of you probably remember xDDD)

At first, I was like a die-hard VCS supporter. I went and actually bought the wood-paneled version, and I was ready to develop my next game as a VCS exclusive. Then after the campaign ended and I was locked into my purchase, I kinda went back and forth between thinking it was cool and thinking it was stupid. XD

Basically my take on it today is this:

-- The company behind this project is completely mismanaged and has no idea what it's doing. The people behind it clearly have had absolutely zero experience in developing a game console (besides Rob Wyatt), and their PR is even worse. They don't even know what they're building-- that's how bad their marketing is. At one point, they call it a new game console that sounds like a competitor to the Xbox One/PS4. Then the next minute they're calling it a gaming PC. The communication with backers is abysmal. Their BEST UPDATE was probably #18, where they had about a dozen pictures showing off the assembly line and stuff. Their YouTube channel has been dormant for over a year. Developers that actually wanted to make games for the VCS were treated like shit, and received zero response from Atari. It's very obvious that Atari is just in it for the money, and that's it. Either that, or they actually wanted to make a game console, but had no idea what's actually involved in building and distributing one.

-- The actual hardware still looks kinda neat to me. If we all end up getting our systems, I already have my own ideas and plans for how to make it into a nice little console for myself. I find it interesting that it's a console-sized PC for your TV with upgradeable RAM and storage. I also think the controllers themselves look cool. Even though I will probably never develop a game for this thing, I'll at least have fun tinkering with my unit as a consumer. It seems like the vast majority of us believes it will actually get delivered to backers, and hopefully Atari will at least do that successfully by January.

========================

TL;DR: I wish I didn't support this thing, and I've come to terms that my money is gone bye-bye. But if Atari actually manages to deliver something to backers, then sweet! I'll have a neat toy to play with and some nice controllers. Hopefully Atari can manage to squeeze out something other than a fart.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Why a modded Xbox? Rp3 is way cheaper and takes up a deck of card worth of space by your tv. Heck put a command strip on it and put it on the backside of your tv and you wouldn't see it. It has bluetooth, and it low power and quiet.

Oh and can easily go up to ps1.

Just the lowest and cheapest thing I could think of

I liked the original design; my wife loved the look.  My own hopes was for a streaming device that also played classic games. Bonus points for a modern classic-style joystick, if it was made well.

Some fun 2017 posts:l from this and other threads:

On 6/13/2017 at 7:13 PM, SignGuy81 said:

I wouldn't say power of digital marketing as much as brand recognition. I mean if some no name company came out with the exact same thing but it was called the SegaBox nobody would bat an eye. Just kidding about Sega people would go crazy over it. But take a name nobody has heard of that come out with the same exact thing and commercial and no where near the buzz.

On 6/14/2017 at 2:20 PM, godslabrat said:

There's this mentality that stringing people along will "generate interest" instead of just annoying them. Truth be told, it doesn't make you look secretive and mysterious, it makes you look like you don't know what you're doing and have nothing to show. This is a lesson I wish RetroBlox/Polymega would learn.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:48 PM, Keatah said:

They're not creative like the real Atari company was back in the 1970's. Another PC-in-a-box is being very conservative and safe. Just like 500 other companies.

Don't let blind enthusiasm for things "Atari" get out of hand. They won't be developing new property, just repackaging existing material.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:53 PM, Lodmot said:

I actually am really excited about this console X33 I'm totally ready to pre-order it, and I don't even know what it is or how much it costs. xD

Not to digress, but if it wasn't for the Atari 2600 and Visual BB, I would've never made the AVGN game. I owe both Atari and AtariAge big time for that one.

On 6/17/2017 at 3:50 PM, Nathan Strum said:

I think this whole thing is a clever ploy orchestrated by Coleco to draw attention away from themselves.

On 6/18/2017 at 1:15 AM, Kosmic Stardust said:

Ouya came and went. If Ataribox is another Ouya, it is basically DOA.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:37 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

And we, the consumers are guilty because we look for brands.

On 6/14/2017 at 11:00 AM, Flojomojo said:

AtariBox is at its peak right now. Without details, it can be a mystery box that contains whatever your heart desires ... until it comes out and its a can opener or something equally banal.

• Haha 5

^^ I dont think Atari thought about thier position in the videogame console market.

Let me list some reasons why,

#1- They are not, and never were the "Underdog". Atari was at the top, then came crashing down like the Hindenburg (Rip)

#2- By showing off the old Joystick controller ad nauseum, they show that they are only about retro games and stuck in the past.
(and no that fake prototype Xbox controller with the electrical tape over the logo does not count)

#3- They have no attitude, these are old men tying to be hip, only to rock climb and skydive to break thier hips and then delay the release, like the world should wait on the old man picking out the perfect orange at the grocery store. No young people want to be around them lest buy thier product.
This is the same reason why Buick is no longer a car in name, just badging, the the name "Buick" is associated with old people's car and has been for a long time so GM does not want that name on the cars anymore.
(Perhaps they should have released a V6 dual Turbo 2020 Buick Grand National and GNX to save the name, oh well)

#4- By putting woodgrain on it, they are clearly saying "WE ARE RETRO!"

#5- Nintendo has them beat for the casual games segment, especially with the Switch that people will take on the go to get a game fix until they get home,
Atari needs a gimmick like this where the game is 2 part, on the console, then on an App in the Goog Play store or Apple App store, you log in and continue a mini game, this way you lock your players into the Atari eco system.

Atari! listen here, No one is going to do the work of getting your user base you lazy e-begging schmucks!
No way are you just going to release a system and expect game studios to waste valuable time and resources to devellop custom games to get droves of fanbois and newcomers to hand over money for games on a system that has a miniscule userbase compared to the big 3, heck even App store or Google play store will out prioritize you.
Wake up! Microsoft FAILED with windows phone spectacularly! and they had obscene amounts of money to throw at it, but without app developers it went downhill faster than a runaway Taco stand.
It is one thing to be hopeful and optimistic but it is another to have your heads completely in the clouds while a lightning storm is a brewin' and then aliens in flying saucers go PEW PEW PEW!

I wish you best of luck Atari.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I will reiterate:

Atari has had flattening growth in their post-Infogrames licensing model of trumping out their brand at $500,000 a pop, for years.

They wanted to dump their penny stock.

They decided to generate hype over a console, to inflate interest enough for a bigger fish to buy them.

They pull a favor someone from someone at Sonos to fabricate a case, they did not ask him to make something that was mass-producible.

They contract a company to make controllers. Do not pay them. This later causes one of the production delays.

They hit upon the idea to crowd-fund this thing, brought in a guy who had experience doing this multiple times, never-mind that he's a serial crowdscammer...

Crowd-scammer leaves over non-payment, sues, they settle.

They find an experienced system designer in Rob Wyatt/Tin Giant. Who DOES have shipping hardware under his belt. He works for 6 months, non-payment. Left in October. Law suit probably coming.

Emergency shareholders meeting took place two days ago over the fact that nobody is signed on as a third party developer (and specifically how Unity is not supporting them as an explicit target), to basically beg for their support.

There is no indication that the board that was shown even boots.

There is no Atari branded operating system, they're saying "load your own."

Two distinctly different system configurations.

And they're delaying yet again.

Atari never intended to actually go through with any of this, and are currently trying to find a way to do the least amount of effort as humanly possible while running away with as much of the crowd-funded money as humanly possible.

-Thom

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I will reiterate:

Atari has had flattening growth in their post-Infogrames licensing model of trumping out their brand at $500,000 a pop, for years.

They wanted to dump their penny stock.

They decided to generate hype over a console, to inflate interest enough for a bigger fish to buy them.

They pull a favor someone from someone at Sonos to fabricate a case, they did not ask him to make something that was mass-producible.

They contract a company to make controllers. Do not pay them. This later causes one of the production delays.

They hit upon the idea to crowd-fund this thing, brought in a guy who had experience doing this multiple times, never-mind that he's a serial crowdscammer...

Crowd-scammer leaves over non-payment, sues, they settle.

They find an experienced system designer in Rob Wyatt/Tin Giant. Who DOES have shipping hardware under his belt. He works for 6 months, non-payment. Left in October. Law suit probably coming.

Emergency shareholders meeting took place two days ago over the fact that nobody is signed on as a third party developer (and specifically how Unity is not supporting them as an explicit target), to basically beg for their support.

There is no indication that the board that was shown even boots.

There is no Atari branded operating system, they're saying "load your own."

Two distinctly different system configurations.

And they're delaying yet again.

Atari never intended to actually go through with any of this, and are currently trying to find a way to do the least amount of effort as humanly possible while running away with as much of the crowd-funded money as humanly possible.

-Thom

Yep. It's actually a miracle they've gotten this far with it. I'm actually pretty amazed. Lol.

The sad part of this is, Atari is doing this to make money and increase their brand's value for someone to buy it up. What they fail to realize is, if they had just given everyone what we asked for in the beginning and communicated properly with us and taken their time to plan carefully to make a polished product, they not only would've had a decent shot at making something cool-- but they PROBABLY would've made even more money than $3 million.

Logically-speaking, this was probably the absolute worst idea conceived to make a quick buck, ever in gaming history. 

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Did they ever post a picture of the so-called newly designed case looks like from the front? Is it now double cheeseburger thick instead of single patty delicious?

This is probably the clearest front-facing picture of what they currently have:

1*zpEZpmlJ24uL7FhDjoc5AQ.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

Did they ever post a picture of the so-called newly designed case looks like from the front? Is it now double cheeseburger thick instead of single patty delicious?

4 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

This is probably the clearest front-facing picture of what they currently have:

1*zpEZpmlJ24uL7FhDjoc5AQ.jpeg

They have not shown the front on the ones they recently made for their testing/appeasing the rioters/backers/haters/pigeons.

• Like 4