IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

At the risk of dipping into the Coleco Chameleon well yet again, there's just one more video from @StopDrop&Retro that I'd like to re-post.  It considers the backers of the Retro VGS, but many of the exact same statements could be made today of the supporters of "that Ataribox?", so I think it's worth a second look (or a first look, for those who weren't around at the time).

• Like 6

^ I just love the magician and the "Hello Everyone" on the SDR videos. He knows how and when to call out BS when no one else will.

It gets out of hand when one idiot HACK working at Engadgety or other click-for-profit BLOG desperate for an article before going to lunch will read a press release by the 2 clowns and turn it into a headline "ATARI IS BACK! big 3 put on notice!" Then every other wothless no-body trying to comeup blog all over the world copy and paste the article, with NO ONE actually doing any investigation whatsoever. In a matter of days a press release turns into an avalanche of hearsay turn facts = 3 million dollars.
Only The Register did any actual investigation.

I really hope Gamester81 does not get caught up in this like the last time he got hosed by the Chameleon.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 6

^ Allegedly there was someone out of camera holding a loaded revolver at his head.

It could have really been a gun, or strong arm tactics, or just legal threats, sort of like when Sony made that Ghostbusters movie and forced cameos using contractual obligations from like 30+ years ago.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

... because that's exactly what it is (or was).  That's just one of the things that makes this video such a transcendent work of inadvertent genius.

Ah, good times!  We didn't even have tacos in that thread!

And I've commented in this one, probably close to the beginning, that I won't be convinced about the VCS until I see a power supply helping a mouse moving a cursor around the screen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Special Teams said:

Is Mike off camera forcing him to say this crap?

My memory could be off, but I think Carlsen did this without consulting Kennedy.

His lengthy Facebook post (saved here), where he introduced the clip, is an interesting reminder how similar AtariVCS tactics have been.  Remember, this was during the RetroVGS Indiegogo:

Screenshot_20191205-211110.thumb.png.fe86c716e6330bd18ac1427817ad8560.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

I really hope Gamester81 does not get caught up in this like the last time he got hosed by the Chameleon.

That is how he got the nickname Shilster81. When you are known for whoring it out for whatever and whenever many times over that happens I guess. Myself I never much cared for whatever his deal is. I watched a couple videos over the years here and there and they always come across as a dude who is looking to get paid or thinks what he's up to is more important than it really is.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

With all this talk of the Coleco Chameleon, I need to post this again, just because seeing it never fails to make me happy.

3 hours ago, Machine said:

That RetroVGS Lab looks a lot like a kitchen table in an apartment.

Yes... but is that better or worse than a garage built from chipboard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

My memory could be off, but I think Carlsen did this without consulting Kennedy.

His lengthy Facebook post (saved here), where he introduced the clip, is an interesting reminder how similar AtariVCS tactics have been.  Remember, this was during the RetroVGS Indiegogo:

He was almost as evasive as "Atari" COO Mike Arzt, claiming that he didn't want to reveal their suppliers because of competition, and that he had the best Silicon Valley lawyers helping them with patents. All nonsense of course. 

I seem to recall some attempted retroactive continuity in which he claimed it was all a joke, and that his kitchen table routine was meant as sarcastic satire. That doesn't line up with his attempts to block @StopDrop&Retro (come back, old friend) from making fun of it. Carlsen attempted copyright takedown against SDR, just one of a great many dick moves in the whole affair. 

You know your idea is garbage if you have to use lawyers to stop people from saying mean things about it. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, thanatos said:

I love this one, have seen it many times.  So many people don't get what is wrong, on multiple levels!

I have no clue about soldering but my first guess is she would be burning her hand as she's holding it too low?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Matt_B said:

As ever though, there's nothing collectable about fresh air, and that's all the backers have after 18 months of waiting.

You say that now, but as with all collectibles, give it time.  In a few decades people will be paying a premium for fresh air. ;)

Speaking of air... I was just thinking... in an alternate reality do you think the VCS is shipping with SwordQuest AirWorld as an exclusive pack-in?

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I have no clue about soldering but my first guess is she would be burning her hand as she's holding it too low?

Congratulations. You have just won a taco.

There are other issues (like the board's mysteriously stuck to the table with nothing stopping it from moving), but yeah. That's the main one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Hah, what a horrible stock photo... I would not recommend using a handheld soldering iron to solder a surface mount board.

I do it all the time its actually easier than soldering a board with though hole components