IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

50 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/the-latest-from-the-atari-vcs-factory-its-all-in-the-details-now-6c8ed3365231

Update this morning in my inbox.  I guess this means this thread will grow about 10 pages today with useless trolling comments about how the Atari VCS console is vaporware and that Atari SA is out to screw over all the backers.  That and an endless amount of 5th grade taco jokes.  Yeppers, it is going to be a fun day here in ths thread ?.

Spot on--time to move the goal posts again and act like the VCS had the potential to be mainstream to begin with

Edited by bmadgames
  • Like 4

So the 20th update came out this morning (rather soon after update 19 actually). It was a bit more substantive, which was nice to see... However, still much of the same-- all factory/assembly-related stuff. I will admit it's comforting to see that the actual motherboard DOES in fact fit in the casing and everything, and they're definitely producing a number of these units from the looks of it.

But still-- why can't we see the thing turn on?

• Like 3

Won't somebody please discover the bottomless well of talent answering questions for "Atari" on their Indiegogo? These skills are sorely needed in one of America's favorite companies

523313461_ScreenShot2019-12-10at7_58_37AM.thumb.png.ea12a0cfd0b815a4fa40d10876efacba.png

the-fry-station.jpg.e4150fa58916c3980353f86e91c054af.jpg

In case you were wondering about that light-up-logo clip ....

1694628512_ScreenShot2019-12-10at7_58_47AM.thumb.png.a7d522fa72a6fad27f8a4c2d0bb214c6.png

They've removed it from the Medium post. It would be interesting to see what else they've changed in response to feedback/tipoffs. 

They really like to operate at arm's length from the client they're supposed to be representing. If they're going to let Monty Gabrys' Copyright Infringement Show On Ice speak for them, they might as well deputize us taco kids as well. 

1122052848_ScreenShot2019-12-10at7_58_59AM.thumb.png.5d4728a2737e746d4511c23b7536351e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

^^^

Perhaps the atari crew are terrified that some enterprising individual in China will knock out a clone of this system for $50 shipped in less than 1 week like they did with the NES mini, thus if they show the splash startup screen it will be copied, if you dont show anything they cannot copy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^^^

Perhaps the atari crew are terrified that some enterprising individual in China will knock out a clone of this system for $50 shipped in less than 1 week like they did with the NES mini, thus if they show the splash startup screen it will be copied, if you dont show anything they cannot copy.

Lol, maybe..

Whatevers. I think I'm taking a break from this fiasco guys. I'll see you later.

• Sad 1

So, based on this...

The Atari VCS project is wrapping up a phase of intense engineering validation testing, commonly referred to as “EVT,” which is used to confirm and correct every aspect of the hardware and how it operates as a device, independent of the software, such as games and apps that will eventually run on it.

There are many things to check, validate and potentially correct during the EVT phase. Sometimes they are just subtle tweaks, and other times they are genuine course corrections that require the engineers to completely rethink how they approached something in the original design.

Where do you think they are in the timeline? Did they move up one step, maybe two? We still haven't seen the thing boot. That seems like an oversight. But hey, look at all those cases! Maybe they'll make them in different colors, too. WOODGRAIN

1605887372_Dec2019timeline.thumb.png.fd64e044f9cd3085238ae0884b7c25db.png

In the case of the Atari VCS hardware and peripherals, they are definitely coming together. There have been small setbacks, but that’s expected and considered normal, so the team is happy to report that the Atari VCS hardware and peripherals are nearly final and it won’t be long before we “flip the switch” on mass production!

1666551211_ScreenShot2019-12-10at8_32_11AM.thumb.png.4cdd913c34f355b8b79ab0a15c6d1e0c.png

They're definitely trying to manage expectations. No dates mentioned, not even Arzt's foolhardy promise of "weeks not months."

There are many things to check, validate and potentially correct during the EVT phase. Sometimes they are just subtle tweaks, and other times they are genuine course corrections that require the engineers to completely rethink how they approached something in the original design.

It's odd that they lean so hard into October/November things since this update was posted on December 10th. If this is true,

As we said in that report, the plastic housings and fascia pieces are the very last things to be addressed. The units shown here today still have the shiny plastics of pre-production that we have described previously. The finished Atari VCS units will look super-premium, with all the beautiful matte surfaces, rich wood fascias, and other details everyone expects.

why don't they show one of them with the expected finish?

Nice that they're showing some vulnerability here, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the rest of this will be as polished as folks might expect:

Despite early success with the new AMD Ryzen™ development platform, when the team fired up the first batch of EVT form-factor units, the HDMI port was outputting HD video, but not full 4K video and audio.

Fortunately, AMD was able to confirm that this was a not-yet-documented-but-known issue, and recommended a fix. Now excellent 4K quality video and audio is now pumping through the HDMI output. The team still had to rework every one of the EVT VCS units, including several that were already in the hands of our software development partners, but the issue was efficiently addressed.

Still no hands-on demo with the joysticks, despite lots of pictures. Why not show the spinning paddle, if that feature is still there?

EVT testing also revealed some issues related to WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, and working with PowerA we found some opportunities to improve the the all-new Classic Joystick’s paddle functionality. Working with an experienced peripheral manufacturer like PowerA has been great. The mix of classic and modern features required in the reimagined joystick challenged the engineers at PowerA to innovate and deliver some new, creative solutions.

Per the Pareto principle, that last "just the details now" is probably 80% of the work. No wonder they're not giving out dates and firm promises. 

8020-1024x507.thumb.jpg.681addfbe3fe4b6759df6affb6e7050f.jpg

Chinese New Year starts soon! Happy Year of the Rat!!

zodiac-rat.png.e64c64b68986e27cc0433e9a8f3890d1.png

(no manufacturing is happening for the last week of January 2020 while we celebrate)

• Like 5

(moving this here so the "FAQ and Info Thread" can remain relatively clean, "hard news only." ?)

@PlaysWithWolves said 

It's essentially part two of the previous one, but I guess it's communication.

Do you suppose they're deliberately rationing information, spreading it out so it looks like more and lasts longer? Like the way they queued up their Twitter "what's your favorite game from 1981?" updates? It does certainly seem like more of the same, with information they easily could have included before. Still no pics of final finish, or games, or things that most people would care about. Just the appearance of work being done, for PR purposes. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

How is everyone holding up in their bunkers today? Got enough tacos???

26489F97-83BB-4178-B8B6-4BF1EF506580.thumb.png.c8ed0a9834d7b084476381bb612b791d.png

wait! I thought we lived in our mommie’s basement. By mommy of course I mean Taco Talarico!

We've seen those console mockups and PowerA controller prototypes many, many times before. Ridiculous to post them as "proof" of anything, since they never show them being used, not since the Garage Summit. 

Are you afraid? I'm not ... (what are we supposed to be afraid of?)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

We've seen those console mockups and PowerA controller prototypes many, many times before. Ridiculous to post them as "proof" of anything, since they never show them being used, not since the Garage Summit. 

Are you afraid? I'm not ... (what are we supposed to be afraid of?)

Eh.... I'm gonna play devil's advocate here-- he's probably trying to suggest it as proof that they're being produced. Even though Atari themselves actually noted that they are still not at mass production yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lodmot said:

Eh.... I'm gonna play devil's advocate here-- he's probably trying to suggest it as proof that they're being produced. Even though Atari themselves actually noted that they are still not at mass production yet.

giphy.gif

And we shouldn't be distracted from what they still haven't shown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

41 minutes ago, TheVgaTv said:

You'd think with it shipping in the next 21 days that they'd have a unit that powered up, or you know, some actual games for it

They already pushed back the date. Apparently saying that and little else is all the proof the Atari fait-- No.

Guys, a little aside here, but am I the only one who's tired of calling these jokers who backed the VCS, and won't accept evidence that it might not release or it's going to be a major disappointment, "Atari Faithful"? Because we know that's this company is little more than a license holder at this point, and the people that make up Atari Gamebox, LLC, are Fred Chesnais and a few cronies. Can we just call these endless faith IGG backer hooligans the "Chesnais Faithful" or the "Arzt Faithful"?

I'm open to either one, but I really like the idea of declaring: "All hail Lord Chesnais, Lord of the Tacos!"

@Flojomojo, @ColecoJoe, we need to make a new banner or poster about this.

Anyways... Apparently doing the obvious thing of pushing back the near impossible release date that everyone else saw wasn't going to happen, alongside regurgitating pictures of the manufacturing process and that stupid gif of the totally-not-a-watch-battery-and-simple-LED-circuit-powered-cableless-taco-shells, is all the proof the Chesnais Faithful need to show us haters and trolls that the VCS totally isn't a scam.

Edited by DurradonXylles
  • Like 6

Some really vindictive social media posts this morning. Who would have thought that pictures of a system being assembled would bring so much joy?  All along, I thought video games were about playing games, but clearly I was wrong.   It's all about pictures of a board being put in a console. 

3DO, CD-I, and PC-FX were all wildly successful, because someone put them together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

and that stupid gif of the totally-not-a-watch-battery-and-simple-LED-circED-circuit-powered-cableless-taco-shells, 

That blinking light gif makes it look like it can't boot up right or it's missing a hard drive. Looks like they removed it from the article though :)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, aramis said:

I'm going to make a prediction: this most recent update isn't a reaction to negative comments, growing backer concerns, etc...but instead is an indicator that they have a potential buyer in the funnel.

You don't think it has something to do with Intellivision releasing a video of a Atari game yesterday??? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

^ That portion about the EVT is safe speak for "We are %99.9 done, but if we find something, we reserve the right to go back to the drawing board, see y'all in 2022, thanks for your ongowing support.

They had to address that nasty shiny plastic, I have a feeling they were going to release it that way but the comments and backlash made them rethink it, mainly because the CASE, the freaking case of the device is probably the only thing that will retain the value for collectors and Taco Afficiados (3rd grade taco joke)

Anyhoo here is a video showing how they can make it look "premium" with dollar store washup sponges. Here you go Atari, free of charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hhHEDIlj8

EVT = Extra Vegan Taco?, Extra Value Taco?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3