IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 hours ago, JasperAK said:

At least give us an update to let us know when they are going to post some gameplay footage or something.

They already did! The answer is 'soon'.

Wait.

Or they will soon give us an update to let us know when they are going to post some gameplay footage?

I'm confused. ?

• Haha 5

Called it, it's Debian (but then so did everyone else).

There are already better games than Atari have (i.e. nothing) available for free on Linux. Sure, there are plenty of clones of old games (including old Atari games), but there are also lots of open-source originals. One that appears at the top of most distro package lists is 0 A.D. ("0ad"), which is basically an Age of Empires clone still somewhat early in development, but from what I played, it's quite good. That's one game. There are tons more like that on Linux. Why even bother selling games at that point?

Also, why install a second OS when you could just us the Atari OS (or, better yet, replace it)? If it's because of the UI... that's not really a hurdle. You can replace that with relative ease, or install another alongside it.

Now watch as this is quite literally Debian with an Atari logo. I doubt they're going to do much more than that. And I look forward to seeing which open-source licenses they break in the process (undoubtedly many).

10 hours ago, OCAT said:

Do not forget that people are not going to wait an hour for games to download, the back end better be lickety split.

Keep in mind that there are Linux distros with more maintainers and bigger communities than Atari SA and the VCS which still don't have (enough) global mirrors for fast downloads/updates, so considering this, I have my doubts Atari will do much of anything. They'll probably rent a single server for a year (two at best), then get rid of it once their paid year is up (granted, you don't have to pay yearly for servers, but it's a fairly standard price, and I don't see them wasting money on a longer lease since it'll be dead by 2021, if not before).

• Like 2

They said something about encrypting the eMMC with the Atari OS and the downloaded content.
If this is still true you most likely won't be able to access the content of the eMMC as you like

and/or install anything on the "walled garden" Atari side you are not supposed to do so without hacking the VCS.

Edited by H.Hannig
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I've heard with the newest update has come a new shoebox edition.

It's funny to me that Converse was founded in 1908 but remains fresh and relevant (being a subsidiary of Nike can't hurt), while "Atari" uses this ancient cave painting of a video game as its stock symbol. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291cf1cc55d36dea8954

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Tommy, if you can't absorb a little friendly doubt, in threads that aren't about you, without feeling the need to write a three thousand word rebuttal, you're not going to have a good time when your product launches.

17 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It was meant as (admittedly faint) praise, but the constant drum-beating for the thing has been frankly exhausting.

This will be my last post in this thread.  My intention has never been to cause drama or upset folks.  Anyone interested in knowing more about Amico (and Atari... as I know a ton of info about VCS that mostly I don't share in here) can join us in our Q&A thread pinned in the Intellivision section.

On my way out I'd like to just point out the hilarious irony that some of the people who complain the most about a game system not giving enough info... are the ones complaining that I give too much info about a new game system.  :)

I get it though... it's an Atari bashing thread so it's better to just fall in line and stick to the topic.  Although I would have thought that the new Intellivision currently kicking Atari's ass in certain areas would be considered on topic (as the moderator jaybird3rd pointed out).

The reality is that Flojomojo was the one who brought up Amico and his doubts (in a friendly and respectful way) and I simply responded to his doubts in a friendly and respectful way.  I guess I was under the misunderstanding that this was what forums were for.  :)

In closing, I also find it ironic that the person who bloviates the most with literally thousands of responses (most of which I personally find entertaining and hilarious) has the nuts to complain that I wrote a long rebuttal... which if you go back and read... wasn't that long at all.  I guess when I brought up the counter-points that I did, it's easier to just say I talk to much.  :D 

Sorry to have caused drama and dissension among the troops.  I'll stay in my own corner from now on.  Hope to see ya there.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

This will be my last post in this thread.  My intention has never been to cause drama or upset folks.  Anyone interested in knowing more about Amico (and Atari... as I know a ton of info about VCS that mostly I don't share in here) can join us in our Q&A thread pinned in the Intellivision section.

On my way out I'd like to just point out the hilarious irony that some of the people who complain the most about a game system not giving enough info... are the ones complaining that I give too much info about a new game system.  :)

I get it though... it's an Atari bashing thread so it's better to just fall in line and stick to the topic.  Although I would have thought that the new Intellivision currently kicking Atari's ass in certain areas would be considered on topic (as the moderator jaybird3rd pointed out).

The reality is that Flojomojo was the one who brought up Amico and his doubts (in a friendly and respectful way) and I simply responded to his doubts in a friendly and respectful way.  I guess I was under the misunderstanding that this was what forums were for.  :)

In closing, I also find it ironic that the person who bloviates the most with literally thousands of responses (most of which I personally find entertaining and hilarious) has the nuts to complain that I wrote a long rebuttal... which if you go back and read... wasn't that long at all.  I guess when I brought up the counter-points that I did, it's easier to just say I talk to much.  :D 

Sorry to have caused drama and dissension among the troops.  I'll stay in my own corner from now on.  Hope to see ya there.

Tommy, you've been really cool through this whole thing.  Imagine if Atari still had such a direct link to its roots and a leader that cared as much.  As much as they were the other team in my youth, I have to support Intellivisions efforts because they are, what I have always wished Atari could have been post Bushnell and team.  Doing the right thing and communicating with like minded people should be appreciated.  Flo is just being a dick, but god I am thankful he changed that GD! gif that he used for the last 10 years or so.  Cheers for that Flo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Any updates on the gamezzz?

I think Atari should at least make mock-ups or image renders of what it would look like to play games on the unfinished glossy console.
This thing ships or the Atari ship sinks, and I get free entertainment either way!
o.o-3(|) ready Taco smorgasbord!
This is going to be like watching a no-holds bar brawl between Android and Apple fanbois, if you think the Cocleco Chameleon thread was a fiasco, you aint seen nothing yet!
Early youtube reviewers better bace themselves for nasy comments should they say 1 bad thing about it, or not giving it a 10/10 score

Atari, i think you should send AVGN & the NES Punk a review unit, this way you will get unbiased, informative and respectful "reviews" :)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Well to be fair it IS kind of the objectively-consistent flipside of this argument...

On 6/25/2019 at 7:13 PM, Tommy Tallarico said:

But please leave this thread which I created to be a positive place where people can ask me questions about the system and have positive dialogues.  POSITIVE.  Not ass-kissing... positive and inquisitive.  Your way of confronting and interacting with people doesn't fit here in my thread.  Read the heading... Q&A.  It's not a thread where I'm interested in disproving your opinion on why you think I don't know what I'm doing and how I'm doing everything wrong and I'm just a music guy.   Your negativity and arguing everyone's points has completely ruined the spirit of why I created this thread.

:) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, H.Hannig said:

They said something about encrypting the eMMC with the Atari OS and the downloaded content.
If this is still true you most likely won't be able to access the content of the eMMC as you like

and/or install anything on the "walled garden" Atari side you are not supposed to do so without hacking the VCS.

Assuming you're referring to what Rob Wyatt said previously, I made a(nother) lengthy post about it the other day - the description sounded like Secure Boot, at least to me, so it shouldn't be read-only.

Besides, to make an encrypted and/or read-only system that you can still download games on would, at the very least, require separate partitions for root and home. Maybe they'll do that but I bet Atari's too lazy. I know there are other ways to do it but I doubt they'll go to the same lengths as companies like Microsoft or Sony (that'd cost too much, for starters). Guess we'll see, but I'm betting Secure Boot is the absolute most they'll do. If that. 

On topic: @Tommy Tallarico and @Flojomojo need to get tacos together to mend their relationship instead of filing for divorce. 

Someone arrange this!

The tacos, not an arranged marriage. 

Okay, I'll stop. 

But tacos though. 

Edited by TankedThomas
TACOS
  • Like 3

Uh, oh, Pat & Ian just released a video about Taco Tallarico's choice for the side mounted controllers he likes,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWnH4jT2xw
but at least the Dev's working on the controller made an app that turns the phone into a controller with more buttons, now this is what Atari should be updating people on, not the finished case and factory workers putting this Tacobox together, when people buy a Bently or Rolls for obscene abounts of money, they do not care to see assembly, so why so many pics of factory? show the thing turned on!

What got me is that if I am using a high end cell phone that can wirelessly output HD video to my TV, why is the Atari VCS even needed? The phone can even be the controller, or buy a cheap joystick physical add on with that capacitive button. This would be a great way to make money selling games without having to sell hardware Atari!
increase your user base at no cost, even Apple knows the money is in service. Make an Atari Eco system like Google Stadia, except you run and stream games to your TV!

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am surprised, that nobody has mentioned the power supply yet.  Looks like it will have a laptop style brick.

As desperate as Atari has been to scrounge up something to show to placate their backers, I'm amazed that they haven't yet posted a John Carlsen style kitchen table video going on and on about the power supply.  "Bulk power goes in, video and audio comes out!  Simple as that!"

• Haha 7