IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am surprised, that nobody has mentioned the power supply yet.  Looks like it will have a laptop style brick.

I was going to but it doesn't seem noteworthy. The case is too small to internalise it, and it's better than having a giant growth at the very end because then you have to fight for space on your power strip or wall sockets.

It's rather bland and ugly, but it's probably the least offensive thing they've shown us yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

Assuming you're referring to what Rob Wyatt said previously, I made a(nother) lengthy post about it the other day - the description sounded like Secure Boot, at least to me, so it shouldn't be read-only.

They mentioned the encryption in the FAQ. Rob Wyatts talk about Type-1-Hypervisors and secure boot was in addition to this.
When you combine both you get (at least on the AtariOS side) a closed system similar to the other consoles, but as you said: Who knows how much effort they really put into this and they most likely took the easiest way.

Edited by H.Hannig
  • Like 1

Ya, I noticed the power supply, it puts my laptop one to shame... oh wait, this IS basically a Laptop.
Be glad you get a power supply, these mini retro consoles are all about "Go get your cell phone charger and use that"

Wait what? my phone is kinda charging on it you cheap %^*#&$!

Also I forgot, the hand me down Sony TV I use for my desltop has one of those massive bricks, but winter is cold so I can use it as a foot warmer, and whatever heat it adds to the room is a plus.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

To be fair, most TVs for the past decade have come with a USB port you can get 5-10 watts out of, which is more than enough for your average mini console.

This thing is going to need a bit more than that though, so faulty laptop PSUs rescued from a skip outside the factory seems the way to go.

2 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

As desperate as Atari has been to scrounge up something to show to placate their backers, I'm amazed that they haven't yet posted a John Carlsen style kitchen table video going on and on about the power supply.  "Bulk power goes in, video and audio comes out!  Simple as that!"

Easy enough.

Of course, this is obviously Photoshopped...

Now-youre-playing-with-POWER.thumb.jpg.c0e6ec3cc9bf4d33599a40d237e94eec.jpg

...because there's a picture on the monitor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am surprised, that nobody has mentioned the power supply yet.  Looks like it will have a laptop style brick.

Which makes sense for this thing. It will be easier to pass inspections and export to Europe. Since it's a TV console there's not much motivation to make it super sleek; it's already pretty dorky and besides, every real Atari system had a wall-wart. 

Arzt has said it's basically a laptop without a screen or keyboard. ?

Have the demands for adding a cartridge port or disk drive died down yet? That used to be a common refrain. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Easy enough.

Of course, this is obviously Photoshopped...

Now-youre-playing-with-POWER.thumb.jpg.c0e6ec3cc9bf4d33599a40d237e94eec.jpg

...because there's a picture on the monitor.

And no shoebox. Atari Dude released yet another video. I personally like the converse box better, but I guess this would be the shiny black version then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Which makes sense for this thing. It will be easier to pass inspections and export to Europe. Since it's a TV console there's not much motivation to make it super sleek; it's already pretty dorky and besides, every real Atari system had a wall-wart. 

Arzt has said it's basically a laptop without a screen or keyboard. ?

Have the demands for adding a cartridge port or disk drive died down yet? That used to be a common refrain. 

Honestly, having a laptop-style power supply is nicer than having a fuckin' wall-wart hanging off of your wall or power strip. Always hated those things. xD

Also, having a power supply at all is more than can be said for the PlayStation Classic. o        u        o

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, H.Hannig said:

They mentioned the encryption in the FAQ. Rob Wyatts talk about Type-1-Hypervisors and secure boot was in addition to this.
When you combine both you get (at least on the AtariOS side) a closed system similar to the other consoles, but as you said: Who knows how much effort they really put into this and they most likely took the easiest way.

Ah, whoops, I missed that, so thanks for the summary. 

Interesting that they'd even go that route though. For starters, if it's Debian-based, most (if not all) of their OS has to legally be made public. Locking it down seems pointless. And it's not like locking it down will prevent piracy when there's nothing to pirate in the first place. 

19 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Ironically, if it were just a Raspberry Pi, it should be possible to wire one up.

With the VCS, it hasn't been designed for a cartridge port as far as we know, so it's probably not possible without making some kind of external USB cartridge reader (and really, nobody with the skills to do that is going to bother making it solely for the VCS). 

Some nut on reddit was arguing that the VCS can emulate PS1 and some other consoles from around that era better than the Pi4.

Assuming it's even stable enough to run its OS... I thought people wanted this because it's Atari, not PlayStation?

If you want to play PlayStation, go buy one of those. All of them are cheaper than a VCS...

Edited by TankedThomas
  • Like 2

952726129_ScreenShot2019-12-13at5_15_36PM.thumb.png.01f3cf424ecaf3204d7e37c726548980.png

If this guy's a virus, does that make us the vaccine?

giphy.gif

This one is actually a pretty neat idea. 

407745730_ScreenShot2019-12-13at5_15_48PM.thumb.png.37685cce139e609b1672315f39faee39.png

But since we're talking about the talentless, tasteless, visionless Atari SA under Fred "new money for old rope" Chesnais, it will never happen. 

Hey @roots.genoa, how do you actually say this in French?

1892410186_ScreenShot2019-12-13at5_19_45PM.thumb.png.6e9bdc6d8d2f52c0622845dab6ed1b38.png

And @carlsson, does any other company on the Swedish stock exchange do this kind of thing?

292495173_ScreenShot2019-12-13at5_20_05PM.thumb.png.e8797c5571336c627615fb126ad26cd1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

image.png.ce85a7f2ebbed0205bc543238e420e1e.png

Actually the "disease" is from looking at pictures and shelling out cash with no proof of it actually running.  And then there are the individuals that are posting, "ZOMG!  I'm going to put this on my shelf and let it catch dust!"  As for Werner, he should see a psychiatrist about his narcissistic personality disorder.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Hey @roots.genoa, how do you actually say this in French?

Not like this... I guess there's a French equivalent, but I can't think of anything right now...

It's probably quite different, unlike "to take French leave" is said "filer à l'anglaise" ("to take English leave) in French. ;)

Edit: Since 'money for old rope' means 'easy money', I would say 'c'est de l'argent facile' but that's not very witty. ?

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Same here, I can't come up with a proper Swedish proverb that carries that meaning. Atari is not really cooking stone soup since it would imply they invite others to make contributions along the way to make a great product for free, but that is the first thing that comes to my mind.

As for companies - on the stock exchange or not - raising money in multiple rounds for old or outdated services disguised as being something hot, exciting and profitable, I'm sure there are such examples but I can't name any particular one at 1 AM. Often it is the same small group of unscrupulous people acting like serial "entrepreneurs" which after a few such projects have become recognized names so most investors and advisors would know to stay away from them, leaving only gullible private persons and companies not paying attention to sink money into the projects.

• Like 5