IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

7 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

The Atari VCS is receiving more "mainstream" media coverage than the Amico. This is true in Spain, where I live, and based on the interview it also appears to happen in the US.

I guess there are two main factors for this: 1) The Atari brand is still important and 2) They are supposed to launch the machine in only 3 months.

I do however don't think this unexpected media coverage will do anything for the machine, which appears doomed (not even one game has been shown so far?). Especially since the CEO barely manages to explain anything to the interviewers at all and is definitely not creating new customers on that interview.

By the way, the video has been posted by CNBC on Youtube and the comments already have conspiracies!

image.thumb.png.a1053e266a53c6444cab0e9be8775be6.png

Low lying fruit to be sure, but I'm feeling lazy. 

20191218_123128.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really don't understand this cult that is growing around the aTACObox. Some might be paid schills sure but not all of them. Do these people just want an over priced door stop? Are the speakerhats transmitting secret messages to brainwash the masses? Are these people excited about the rumors of speaker-pants?!?! 

Are they just anti taco? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I really don't understand this cult that is growing around the aTACObox. Some might be paid schills sure but not all of them. Do these people just want an over priced door stop? Are the speakerhats transmitting secret messages to brainwash the masses? Are these people excited about the rumors of speaker-pants?!?! 

Are they just anti taco? 

One might also ask what is this cult of hate surrounding the aforementioned aTACObox. Do these people just want an FPGA 2600 clone? Are the Jaguar fumes brainwashing the lucky few who have one? And are these people.. wait.. did you say "speaker pants"??!?  *squeeeeee* ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

It's just rampant confirmation bias they feed on to assure themselves they made a winning choice in risking their money on the stupid thing when they knew better all along. They all have, at one time or another, acknowledged how piss poor the entire effort has been, but at the first opportunity to delude themselves, they fall right back into their cult groove. When it finally fails to meet their expectations, they'll do the trusty "I never really cared" shuffle so they can have it both ways. In fact, many of them have proudly already announced they don't care while spewing venom about doubters just to be sure they have their all but assured disappointment covered. They really hate the folks that see it for what it is and poke fun at it. They call them haters so they have an evil force to oppose, but in truth, the people making fun of it, and tacos, don't care enough about it to hate it.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, xucaen said:

One might also ask what is this cult of hate surrounding the aforementioned aTACObox. Do these people just want an FPGA 2600 clone? Are the Jaguar fumes brainwashing the lucky few who have one? And are these people.. wait.. did you say "speaker pants"??!?  *squeeeeee* ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

This has been discussed a fair amount, just go back a few hundred pages. ? 

12 minutes ago, JBerel said:

It's just rampant confirmation bias they feed on to assure themselves they made a winning choice in risking their money on the stupid thing when they knew better all along. They all have, at one time or another, acknowledged how piss poor the entire effort has been, but at the first opportunity to delude themselves, they fall right back into their cult groove. When it finally fails to meet their expectations, they'll do the trusty "I never really cared" shuffle so they can have it both ways. In fact, many of them have proudly already announced they don't care while spewing venom about doubters just to be sure they have their all but assured disappointment covered. They really hate the folks that see it for what it is and poke fun at it. They call them haters so they have an evil force to oppose, but in truth, the people making fun of it, and tacos, don't care enough about it to hate it.

I think this post nails it.  If this is such a great system, take the Atari name off it and put Infrogrames on it. The marketing of "Sandbox mode" was brilliant though.  It's a throwback to when Sega and Nintendo gave flashy names to hardware features.   "Mode 7" sounds a lot more intriguing than "Hardware scaling".

In this case, Atari is selling the idea of a system running third party programs by having the user download them on their own.  The exact same thing every PC can do.   Pretty basic, but they found a way to sell it.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2018 at 6:53 AM, Flojomojo said:

Let it go. Anyone with 20 or more posts in this thread IS behaving like an idiot (yes, of course that includes me). There's just not that much to talk about with regards to V¢S or the little company that is unlikely to deliver it. At least we are having fun.

If you're looking for "justice" for the members of the Atari SA Appreciation Society, just sit back and let events unfold, I think it will be plenty satisfying on its own. The latest brainfart "over there" is that somehow, we bashers will be sorry, that we will end up buying a nuVCS even though we say we won't. As if the thing will not only actually come out, but be *so* compelling to us because of its value, branding, content, or collectability that we just won't be able to help ourselves. It's so dumb on its face I have to wonder if someone from Atari SA is attempting a "thought leader" marketing campaign.

The pre-order is supposed to start in less than two weeks, but I have a feeling the comedy will go one for a while, with or without the "new Atari system."

You're an idiot for posting all those silly pictures and I'm a dumbass for laughing at them. It's OK! DERP DERP DERP

^^this fartsmeller might be into something 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With the latest emails that went out from "Atari" it seems like they may actually deliver... something... a Debian PC... but has anyone actually seen a working prototype yet? Regardless of what anyone says about it, and no matter what side of the fence you're on (there are 4 sides after all ? )  only time will tell what this new thing is, and if it will ever see the light of day. But we will always have this thread full of quips and anecdotes, and fun memes. ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xucaen said:

With the latest emails that went out from "Atari" it seems like they may actually deliver... something... a Debian PC... but has anyone actually seen a working prototype yet? Regardless of what anyone says about it, and no matter what side of the fence you're on (there are 4 sides after all ? )  only time will tell what this new thing is, and if it will ever see the light of day. But we will always have this thread full of quips and anecdotes, and fun memes. ?

I'll still use mine if they actually deliver, but nopety nope nope-- no working prototype has been shown in video form yet. We have no idea what it looks like when the console is running and displaying something on a screen.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I'll still use mine if they actually deliver, but nopety nope nope-- no working prototype has been shown in video form yet. We have no idea what it looks like when the console is running and displaying something on a screen.

Serious question:  What exactly was that gameplay of Borderlands 2 from back at E3 running on?  It was supposed to be running on the VCS, but that seems pretty unlikely in light of what we know now.

It just seems like if Atari were going to put out a fake gameplay video, they would have it running a lot smoother. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Serious question:  What exactly was that gameplay of Borderlands 2 from back at E3 running on?  It was supposed to be running on the VCS, but that seems pretty unlikely in light of what we know now.

It just seems like if Atari were going to put out a fake gameplay video, they would have it running a lot smoother. 

Doubt anyone actually knows except Atari themselves.

My guess is it was running on something like this: 

Dell P4 2.4GHZ 512MB 40GB XP SP3 OptiPlex GX260 GX270 GX280 or Precision 360Tower 0

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/godwincorp/product/e2gyrwnsf/?sku=e2gyrwnsf&scid=pla_google_godwincorp&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuefvBRDXARIsAFEOQ9HxXqw1EysjyBqTWQmqdgHxLOrtL22H5YhRPBWL23y1FFqQhn1zo34aAu-9EALw_wcB

Edited by Lodmot
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

This holiday season, find someone who will stick up for you the way F1JV sticks up for "Atari." This conversation was snipped from the CNBC interview with Fred Chesnais, clueless dunderhead and current CEO of the corpse bride called "Atari."

1129759473_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_27_52AM.thumb.png.e10c35e580a521d16ec6e700f0073901.png825009918_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_28_21AM.thumb.png.27295c8d74e4698da867cc683a97a626.png927863806_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_28_42AM.thumb.png.3177d57cc6ba1b9146c50affe90fae74.png2029165863_Screenshot2019-12-18at9_28_57AM.thumb.png.586ef1d31c99ce093ac7db3d5c4a97ac.png

815871191_F1JVlovesFred.thumb.png.a817658ead46887c7c4a8f133027bbfa.png

Yea as you can see I jumped into that pile of stupid too. I can only take so much written diarrhea before i feel compelled to respond

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, xucaen said:

29 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

20 minutes ago, Agillig said:

This is something I've been mulling over for a while now. Assuming they do release the VCS to at least backers, and it truly is a barbones Linux PC with an Atari shell and UX that delivers virtually nothing promised and barely works as intended with some nasty issues that were never ironed out, what's Atari's endgoal here?

Despite the vocal minority that is the Taco Cult and the Chesnais faithful, most backers won't be particularly happy or impressed that they got a device that is little more than a breadboard Linux machine with two games to actually play on it. YouTubers and retro gaming personalities that backed this simply for the curiosity factor will not be kind that a brand like Atari couldn't deliver what they promised, and made an overly expensive Raspberry Pi alternative. This device will get buried by the only potential audience it has, and word of mouth over how terrible the device is, especially for the price, will help bury it.

I just want to know what Chesnais and Arzt have planned for the eventual flop if and when this device sees release to backers and potentially retail. I imagine this would put Atari in a worse position then they are in now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DurradonXylles said:

This is something I've been mulling over for a while now. Assuming they do release the VCS to at least backers, and it truly is a barbones Linux PC with an Atari shell and UX that delivers virtually nothing promised and barely works as intended with some nasty issues that were never ironed out, what's Atari's endgoal here?

Despite the vocal minority that is the Taco Cult and the Chesnais faithful, most backers won't be particularly happy or impressed that they got a device that is little more than a breadboard Linux machine with two games to actually play on it. YouTubers and retro gaming personalities that backed this simply for the curiosity factor will not be kind that a brand like Atari couldn't deliver what they promised, and made an overly expensive Raspberry Pi alternative. This device will get buried by the only potential audience it has, and word of mouth over how terrible the device is, especially for the price, will help bury it.

I just want to know what Chesnais and Arzt have planned for the eventual flop if and when this device sees release to backers and potentially retail. I imagine this would put Atari in a worse position then they are in now.

There is no plan. They were hoping they would be bought out by now.

• Like 8