IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

I need a copy of that game. I’d always avoided it because I’d assumed it was the same game as the MD version which I didn’t really like. Apparently it’s different though and much better. Shame it’s a bit pricey now.

I mean, there are ways to get it cheaper if you're not a collector.  I prefer original hardware, but disc based systems probably won't last as long as cart based.   Disc rot also seems to be a thing.

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Is it wrong that I kinda want one as a neat looking little PC? I mean it's not THAT pricey if you compare it to similar spec'd PCs and it looks a lot cooler. Weird way of marketing it though...

Not wrong, per se, but I wouldn't give these goons money, especially for this... thing. The VCS specs are garbage for the price, frankly. Get a 3D-printed VCS case instead, and modify the CAD file to make it fit standard components (ITX) if necessary. 

Unless a poorly-designed system with worse cooling than a modern MacBook (i.e. BAD) and a cheaply-made plastic case are worth what's almost NZ$600 before shipping to you. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

Not wrong, per se, but I wouldn't give these goons money, especially for this... thing. The VCS specs are garbage for the price, frankly. Get a 3D-printed VCS case instead, and modify the CAD file to make it fit standard components (ITX) if necessary. 

Unless a poorly-designed system with worse cooling than a modern MacBook (i.e. BAD) and a cheaply-made plastic case are worth what's almost NZ$600 before shipping to you. 

Well when you put it that way... haha.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I mean, there are ways to get it cheaper if you're not a collector.  I prefer original hardware, but disc based systems probably won't last as long as cart based.   Disc rot also seems to be a thing.

I've never encountered disc rot. Hope I never do as I have a fair bit of PSX, PS2 and Saturn stuff in my collection. I actually only started collecting disc based games again this year. I'd kinda gone off the whole moving parts console idea but the games are cheaper and I figured I'd build collections before prices get out of hand like they have for older systems.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

I've never encountered disc rot. Hope I never do as I have a fair bit of PSX, PS2 and Saturn stuff in my collection. I actually only started collecting disc based games again this year. I'd kinda gone off the whole moving parts console idea but the games are cheaper and I figured I'd build collections before prices get out of hand like they have for older systems.

I have 30+ year old CDs that play just fine... you only really need to worry about disc rot on burnt discs. Pressed discs will last a long time.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I have 30+ year old CDs that play just fine... you only really need to worry about disc rot on burnt discs. Pressed discs will last a long time.

There are exceptions. I lost my original set of Wing Commander 3 discs to rot, for one example. Mind you, these things are rare and it's not exactly hard to source backup copies of these things.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

There are exceptions. I lost my original set of Wing Commander 3 discs to rot, for one example. Mind you, these things are rare and it's not exactly hard to source backup copies of these things.

My original Windows 95 disc flaked in the fall of 2000. It was the first time I had seen such a thing first hand. I think I had one audio CD flake but of the 1000's of compact discs of different formats I've had my hands on, I'm ok with that fail rate. It's funny cause it just flakes off the disc in chunks and you are left with a hunk of clear plastic. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

No news is good news!

Then backers should be thrilled.   Didn't Atari say they were showing the VCS at CES, or is that just my imagination?  I'm quite sure they said they would be there.  If the system is launching to backers in January, why not bring one or two along to let people play?

• Like 3

Has Atari been at CES in decades? I don't think anyone said they would be, except for the fan guy (Max?) who also thought there might be a special deal with Google, as well as new announcements about Atari Token. Someone else in their supporter comments kept bringing up December 19th 2019 as if that were a firm date. 

Believe what you see, not what they say. 

The only mention of a public show I can find on their Medium and IGG updates is how "Atari teases the future at E3 in Los Angeles."

Not to get all clintonian legalistic, but the truthfulness of that statement depends what the meaning of "at" is. They weren't on the show floor, they were at a nearby hotel, only showing their work in progress to invited guests. 

It's safe to say they aren't going to be at CES this time, either. We can console ourselves with "They call it hardware because it's hard," "no news is good news," and "weeks not months."

• Like 4

"They call it hardware because it's hard."   

This hardware is a lot of HardWork!!  

Oops! I think I just reminded some of us of something else ...

BTW, Whoever said maybe Knight Rider VCS could be on the VCS....Just...Bless you!   I still laugh at that comment!  ?

• Haha 9