IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 12/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, Flojomojo said:

This thread is the 10 hour version of It's Raining Tacos.

Not the video we needed, but the video we deserve. 

My kids hate when I sing this, or the companion song, "Yum YUm, Breakfast Burrito"

• Like 2

On October 14th Atari did, indeed, announce they'd be at CES:

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Here it is. We haven't actually seen in booting to Linux (not to mention stay up without crashing), and the rest is in the future with a timetable that has already slipped. 

Yes CES is a thing that will happen. There's no "Atari" related verb there however. Will they attend?

1523713860_Indicativetimetable.thumb.png.248ac601393d1cf8249bb187cb358655.png

Reminder: A mere six days earlier The Register reported Rob Wyatt was out. Per the above screenshot they still didn't have Linux booting on their prototype--not to mention their AtariOS flavor.

Is the "one key element" update already being drafted?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Heh.  I just realized Dec.14th was the second anniversary of their "one key element" delay:

On 12/14/2017 at 7:28 AM, PlaysWithWolves said:

The other two beat me to the punch, but here's the screencap of the email I received moments after wasting all that time on the previous post:

post-39941-0-10875100-1513254487.jpg

It was also the day Feargal and Atari parted ways.  @The Historian announced he too left the project.  Historian wouldn't say what the "one key element was", but what he quoted sounded like Atari is awful at counting:

"The final checks have identified additional work to be done to launch this campaign and for some accessories of the product,"

And that was before feature creep set in with a new APU and twisty joystick.

Page 144!  What mere babes we were.

• Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Maybe they plan the outboarding method again. Was looking at Mom 2.0 because of the Amico and found this...

Outboarding refers to non-sponsoring companies who set up events in hotel suites, area restaurants, or other nearby venues and draw conference attendees away from the regular programming and paying sponsor engagements. These events are often exclusive and geared only toward select groups of bloggers, which can enhance their cachet but contravenes the Mom 2.0 policy of inclusiveness and creating 100% open events. Attendees can be easily confused regarding which organizations and businesses are officially affiliated with a conference, assuming these events are a part of Mom 2.0 when they are not. Outboarders rely on this confusion to press their advantage and circumvent the sponsorship process.

Partial Outboarding is a more recent phenomenon that refers to sponsoring companies who pay for a minimum level of sponsorship, then hold unofficial, unsanctioned functions for attendees outside of the normal planned calendar of events. Like regular outboarding, these unsanctioned events can conflict with existing events or otherwise draw conference attendees away from the regular programming and official sponsor engagements. Doing this is akin to someone paying for one product at a store while shoplifting another item. Paying for one item doesn’t excuse the theft of another. And this activity creates even more confusion for well-meaning attendees since the outboarders are already sponsoring some other aspect of the event and don’t stand out as full outboarders.

This is a very serious industry problem. The International Association for Exhibition Management (IAEM), in its Official Policy, states:

“IAEM considers Outboarding to be unethical business conduct and should not be condoned nor tolerated.

Exhibition and event sponsors invest significant financial and other precious resources in the planning and execution of their events. Their financial resources are at risk, as are the business reputation and good will that are vital elements of a sponsor’s business success.

IAEM further believes that abundant opportunities exist through sanctioned means for those who wish to conduct their own marketing and/or selling events to do so in cooperation and coordination with the sponsoring organizers of exhibitions and similar events.”

Meeting someone in the hallway and discussing your product, service, or business, and/or exchanging business cards is completely fine. That’s what a conference is about. But distributing products or propaganda is not allowable, nor is tweeting or posting about handouts or freebies that you’ll be giving away during the conference, with or without the conference hashtag. People who participate in these activities erode the quality of the event for paying sponsors and attendees, harm the community, and will not be tolerated.

If outboarding or suitcasing occurs, we have adopted specific policies and penalties for the 2014 Mom 2.0 Summit and beyond:

• On-site revocation of credentials and immediate removal from event;
  • Prohibition of outboarders from speaking or sponsoring at future Mom 2.0 or Dad 2.0 events;
  • Enhanced vigilance by the Mom 2.0 social media team during the event;
  • Community reporting tools and methods during the event; and,
  • Reserving the option to seek legal remedies and damages as appropriate.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Slight correction--  When I double-checked the Walmart site last night, I could swear it said March 30th for the release date. In fact their search feature still shows that date:

Screenshot_20191230-074343.thumb.png.e5ae49eadc908cfc5ab45ff05ff7f6f3.png

The product page now says March 31, with shipping or pickup on April 2.  Can we split the difference and call it April 1st?

seductive-eyebrows-community.gif.bf79e79411e2554d782c25a22e597a6e.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 more days and it is 2020!, let us see if we can get to page 2020 by then xD

Anyhoo perhaps Atari could reduce costs, all they would have to do is sell the device like Ikea does furniture, with the "some assembly required" method.
Just ship the computer, no Ram, since everyone is going to upgrade anyway, and include all the decals and woordrain stickers in the box. This way you save a bundle on assembly costs. When the system boots up it will download the entire OS, why bother wasting time in the factory, just put a small image on it, why should Atari have to install the software on a console, because people payed you to do it? Ha! you silly man!
It was all about the Sandbox mode, they knew what this was.
Now let us talk games, You get 1 game, PONG, this is used to test out the hardware and controller, that is it you are now on your own, if Antstream does not deliver then tuff tortillas. This is the New Atari and we play hardball sukkaaaz!

Atari is Dead!, Long Live Atari!

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4

Considering that ESD is a real thing, I doubt they would want a majority of customers to assemble it themselves. Actually I would assume you break warranty if you try to do an internal upgrade, assuming there is something to upgrade in the first place of course.

• Like 2

^^ pack in a 99c wrist band, tell them to ground themselves by shoving it into the third hole in the wall outlet, that should go over well :)

Anyway I doubt people wear a ground strap when they upgrade a laptop or desktop, I do because I am cheap and I do not want to fry or zing anything, also because I used to get free ones from work xD
Also I remember Atari telling people that they can indeed upgrade from 4GB to 8GB in that last Medium update post.

"As we’ve always said, the Atari VCS is not like other game systems. It’s meant to be your machine, with numerous capabilities that allow for customization and personalization of both the hardware and software....
Not visible here are the twin SODIMM DDR4 4GB RAM sticks (8GB total) on the board’s belly, which can be upgraded."

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/atari-vcs-plastics-thermals-and-internals-f72e61897b81 Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

BTW, I'm heading out to Taco Bell to get Mexican Pizzas (no Meat) and I'll prolly stop at Taco John's too for Potato Oles ...Anybody need anything?

This time take a better meme photo of yourself in front of TJ's truck.  ?

meanwhile.gif.9036ed46bf0419595d348428a66a1d34.gif

Is this a sign that Brandon is gassed out after his recent flood of "Ship Hangar,,,Mass+Energy" gobbledegook? 

bh.JPG.c3fef8987f6e6cb51cb2875c9dbb3b12.JPG

1179409619_atarit3.jpg.c4d1aa51ec755b9ea035719ab60f64ac.jpg

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Spriggy said:

This time take a better meme photo of yourself in front of TJ's truck.  ?

meanwhile.gif.9036ed46bf0419595d348428a66a1d34.gif

Is this a sign that Brandon is gassed out after his recent flood of "Ship Hangar,,,Mass+Energy" gobbledegook? 

bh.JPG.c3fef8987f6e6cb51cb2875c9dbb3b12.JPG

1179409619_atarit3.jpg.c4d1aa51ec755b9ea035719ab60f64ac.jpg

I like Brandon's enthusiasm, even if I dont understand it at times.

• Like 2