IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

So apparently the clear case "souped up" Atari VCS that they're going to have at different CES booths isn't actually hooked up to anything:

2132273961_Screenshot2020-01-0711_34_55.thumb.png.0b8d6f099ec9bb0143947de760a6e3b2.png

81546765_841424276295490_2780745024965443584_o.thumb.jpg.608699c05300190bc642707904d74c74.jpg

Interesting, so does this mean they are actually at CES? o.o

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It means their thing is at CES, even if they are only there as attendees. Kingston is the RAM company. I wonder if "Atari" made a bulk order with them in exchange for promotional consideration?

"Easter eggs" are typically hidden, not announced and then revealed mere hours later. 

That "please do not touch" sign makes me want to pick up the transparent shell and shake it as hard as I can. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

OK, Atari SA

* has six pieces of plastic with chips and circuites that looks like a main board

* that even fitts into the new vcs shell
* and the LED can light up without any cable attached to the shell
* and they have two types of plastic things that looked like controllers

what else do we know as a fact about the new vcs?

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
edited numbers
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I wonder if "Atari" made a bulk order with them in exchange for promotional consideration?

I was just thinking they were probably already using Kingston RAM and talked them into sharing some table space in exchange for "Atari" promoting their booth on social media.  It looked like a similar promo deal with the GAEMS case company too.

If they don't show any working models on the floor and only show "working models" to invited press again, it's going to look pretty bad.  If you're launching a console in "weeks" or even 3 months, there's no plausible reason to not let people actually play it other than the project being in a state of disaster.

• Like 9

I've got $5 to the first person who posts a video of them picking the damn thing up, getting a good shot of the bottom and back, then shaking it before putting it down. Anybody wanna raise the pot?

Also...$20 to anyone who steals me that genuine do not touch sign. That's a collectible. 

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

So, basically, they reinvented the barebone pc (exemple: https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00263603.html), but with RAM ..

(so little storage that it's pretty much equivalent to not having storage at all) ....

Why not, if they had marketed it as such: "new barebone pc in cool atari themed shell").

The thing is, appart from the fans on indiegogo and the train-wrecks addicts with morbid curiosity here, absolutely noone cares. There is pretty much zero press coverage, spending 5 minutes to write an article poking fun at this barebone pc that was supposed to "reinvent the way we game, again" must not even seem worthy of click-baiting to any publication.

Anyone with a cute cat picture on their facebook account will generate more traction than what we see over all their social media accounts combined... (see their "factory update MEGA thread" on reddit with ... a grand total of 13 replies).

I think that explains why nobody's calling them out on their less than ethical practices, there's not enough interest in it to pay for the time it'd take a freelance "game journalist" to go beyond copy pasting a press release and adding one sentence at the end to the effect of "oh grandpa's video game brand exists still, how cute. Reminds me of those phones with rotary dials back in the days,  let's touch base again next year to see if it came out".

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

So apparently the clear case "souped up" Atari VCS that they're going to have at different CES booths isn't actually hooked up to anything:

81546765_841424276295490_2780745024965443584_o.thumb.jpg.608699c05300190bc642707904d74c74.jpg

Is the "Please do not touch" card a backer perk, or do they have to pay extra for it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

So many different colors. Seems like someone's living in the past.

From 2005 (that's FIFTEEN years ago):

Xbox 360 E3 Faceplates Hit EBay, Reuters -OMG- Reports

By Andrew Burnes
Updated: 16 Jun 2012 6:40 pm
Posted: 18 May 2005 9:54 am

It didn't take a genius to work out that the Xbox 360 faceplates given out at the unveiling earlier this week would hit EBay in a heartbeat, but it's cool to see that Reuters picked up on it: 

The "E3" faceplate, made for the Xbox 360's unveiling at the annual Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles this week, was being bid as high at $165 on eBay, despite the fact that it will be at least five months before users get their hands on the successor to the first Xbox. 

"It just shows they're dying to get their hands on the 360," said Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell.

It has nothing to do with wanting to make money, nothing.

Of course, the Xbox 360 also had games for it. Hmmm. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

HOLY SHIT, THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED OFF THE UI FINALLY..... lol. o 3 o

........... and it looks nothing like the original "concept" UI:

Image may contain: screen and indoor

ASTEROID???

That sounds like a really boring game.

And is it Yar's or Yars'  ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 13