IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Haha not only did they royally mess up their own game names but look at the Breakout picture. It is a picture of the Breakout game you can play on Google. The blocks are other pictures.

This is crappy looking from the phone but you can see the similarities. Lmao.

Screenshot_20200107-202349_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c2a819f918ed2dffb6bb92233ba43615.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JaqenHghar said:

Ladies and Gentleman... thanks to an amazingly talented friend of mine that shares my sense of humor, I give you an

ATARI AGE EXCLUSIVE!!!

Here's a sneak peek of the revolutionary new VCS (2600) game, Asteroid...

asteroid.bin 8 kB · 9 downloads

Speaking of which, when is the Atacobox port of Big Rigs Over The Road Racing due to come out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll be honest-- the new UI looks way better in motion than it did in the still images. Props to Atari for putting that together.

The thing is-- why in the holy mother of fuck didnt they show us that UI earlier? Also, where are the other software-related things, like the SDK, and uh..... THE GAMES? 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, AtariNerd said:

Charge a small admittance fee and have playable cabinets and consoles. Maybe throw in some cheap pizza...  

They could call it...

Chuck E Chesnais?

or maybe 

Five Nights at Freddy's?

no no, those won't do. "Atari" likes to do the suing for trademark infringement, not the other way around  

I am 10000000% in agreement with you about the lack of imagination, pisspoor execution, and wasted potential. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

HAHAHA!!!!

Poor Karl

.2022408689_ScreenShot2020-01-07at6_58_08PM.thumb.png.9c43d82a3e6ddbb1880c0db272c67ab1.png

Holy crap has Karl jumped headfirst through the door so many times that he is coming back to sanity?

11 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I'll be honest-- the new UI looks way better in motion than it did in the still images. Props to Atari for putting that together.

The thing is-- why in the holy mother of fuck didnt they show us that UI earlier? Also, where are the other software-related things, like the SDK, and uh..... THE GAMES? 

Slow you Sonic behind down. The reason is that this was thrown together. They have spelling errors on their titles, so this was not done with great care or reviewed much. I would hope it can play games but we have yet to see that. The Atacoshoebox has shown more still than them.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

They could call it...

Chuck E Chesnais?

or maybe 

Five Nights at Freddy's?

no no, those won't do. "Atari" likes to do the suing for trademark infringement, not the other way around  

I am 10000000% in agreement with you about the lack of imagination, pisspoor execution, and wasted potential. 

*Five Nights at Freddy Got Fingered*

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Agreed about the Converse box, that had more going on. 

They never showed the UI before because it wasn't finished, and probably still isn't. 

You know what the SDK is. I wouldn't expect much more. https://unity.com 

The games ...heh. Antstream and oldies and if you go to the trouble of installing an SSD, Steam. 

Here are some ideas for their apology letter to backers and fans. 

http://www.healpastlives.com/apology.htm

https://www.apologyletters.net

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OCAT said:

"At CES 2020, Atari is hosting invite-only, hands-on demonstrations of the Atari VCS dashboard GUI (Graphical User Interface), Atari Vault, Antstream Arcade, and Sandbox PC Mode, which will include accessing everything from a Windows desktop to Steam games to streaming apps."

I hope they do not mean "The GIU does not connect to anything, but if you run windows, you can run everything"
I have a feeling they are going to have all 6 units already running 1 function, that way they do not have to show HOW they run each app or change games like the infamous coleco chameleon demo wtih the SNES and multi-cart.

Yea, it is not like we have never seen that clear case pic before, nice way to try to dazzle people with BS
Coleco-Chameleon-Prototype-1-1280x960.jp

1*OpRqZNeb5y2yOp0Z9VfG2A.jpeg

9 hours ago, Lodmot said:

The picture below is probably the closest thing to physical evidence that we have, that the system actually boots up. Can anyone tell if the HDMI cable in the back is in fact running from the VCS to the TV/monitor? Lol.

1*OpRqZNeb5y2yOp0Z9VfG2A.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lodmot said:

HOLY SHIT, THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED OFF THE UI FINALLY..... lol. o 3 o

........... and it looks nothing like the original "concept" UI:

Image may contain: screen and indoor

2 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:
Hawt UI action via Twitter:

Or Facebook:

1 hour ago, Albert said:

hmmm, that worked for me.

tumblr_mjj0ctuCYo1rw9dz1o3_500.gif

Haven't we gone through all of this, and I mean all of it, five years ago with ol' Mike Kennedy and the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon? Sure, he tried the clear shell and fake showroom unit with minimal booting and UX separately, but this is every single beat he's taken with his own failed crowdfunding scheme! Atari doesn't have a proper retail box that the unit will even be in when it supposedly will launch, there's no actual gameplay to speak of, nothing new with neither the hardware or the software, and they have to play the old hotel hustle and jive that they, Smach and Polymega have to do because they likely cannot actually plan and pay a fee to put up a both at the event they said they were going to be at!

Now onto the meat of what's been shown off. To quote @TankedThomas:

4 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

Seems like they're further behind than even us haters thought. What an hilarious shitshow this is.

I couldn't stop laughing at their new update. I lost it when they mentioned they're demonstrating "Sandbox Mode" with Windows. Congratulations guys, you brought a Windows PC to your hotel!

4 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

Since nobody (sane) makes Linux GUIs in Unity, it seems likely to me that their Unity-made GUI is what they're showing at (their hotel room near) CES.

In other words, what they actually used Unity to make was a glorified tech demo featuring what the GUI might look like if they ever make real software. Which I doubt they'll do. 

Yeah, the boot and menu look about as faked, or excuse me as "For Illustration Purposes" as you can get. It looks like a digital, interactive mockup of a menu, not the actual software being shown off (especially since they misspelled two of their IP's). Also, I'm going to be real: the cubby hole shelf look of the menu looks a bit like ass. It's not the worst looking UX I've ever seen, but I've seen the pseudo 3D cubby hole menu interface done far better. Then there's a menu that actually looks far more like the initial mockups we've seen, and it is just as underwhelming and amateurish as the cubby holes. Sure, this will satiate the backers for another few days, but since some of them are already expecting to see these showroom farces actually show off gameplay, we'll see how long their bliss lasts this go around.

If this is where they're at, no one should be expecting a VCS unit coming at the end of March. Hell, as several others have said, this thing won't be ready by the end of this calendar year. If the board in that clear unit isn't one of the working, I wouldn't doubt it the solid units are generic singleboard computers running Windows 10 using the [presumed] Unity-based UX mockup. If we haven't seen that bare motherboard within the clear shell a thousand times over already, I'd say start looking up "single board computers" or "mac motherboards" just to make sure they aren't going full on Kennedy by ripping an already existing PC board and taping on a small Water Board decal on it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Holy crap has Karl jumped headfirst through the door so many times that he is coming back to sanity?

Slow you Sonic behind down. The reason is that this was thrown together. They have spelling errors on their titles, so this was not done with great care or reviewed much. I would hope it can play games but we have yet to see that. The Atacoshoebox has shown more still than them.

Even though it looks better in motion, I have to agree with you there-- it looks thrown together still...

It's nice that they FINALLY demonstrated the console booting up, but at this point it's honestly too little too late. They're releasing the actual info we've been asking for as mere twitter posts, not as part of a Medium.com update. 

It just saddens me that there's so much wasted resources in this project. They've completely tarnished the Atari brand, and theyve used up $3 million of backers money to deliver a product that they dont even know how to communicate to us what it fucking IS.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lodmot said:

Even though it looks better in motion, I have to agree with you there-- it looks thrown together still...

It's nice that they FINALLY demonstrated the console booting up, but at this point it's honestly too little too late. They're releasing the actual info we've been asking for as mere twitter posts, not as part of a Medium.com update. 

It just saddens me that there's so much wasted resources in this project. They've completely tarnished the Atari brand, and theyve used up $3 million of backers money to deliver a product that they dont even know how to communicate to us what it fucking IS.....

Keep in mind that we don't know for sure that this is it booting up yet. Along with the probably fake UX display (the UX design being something they didn't even make, as we've already discussed), we don't know for sure that these machines are working and that, if they are, Atari's own hardware is inside. 

That, and I'm still expecting Mike Kennedy to pop out from behind the curtain. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

One artist can throw that together in Flash, in a day.  Especially, provided weird source graphics, he/she does not need to worry about much more than resize.  $0.02

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

One artist can throw that together in Flash, in a day.  Especially, provided weird source graphics, he/she does not need to worry about much more than resize.  $0.02

Though I agree, that's not a quote from me. :lol:

(But I can see how that happened, since I quoted @Lodmot).

I'd like to think nobody is using Flash any more, but I know better...

1 hour ago, TankedThomas said:

Though I agree, that's not a quote from me. :lol:

(But I can see how that happened, since I quoted @Lodmot).

I'd like to think nobody is using Flash any more, but I know better...

You have no idea, how many games use Flash, for their UI.  Sick.

• Haha 3

In their 'defence' that's not the first time they mispelled their IPs: https://store.steampowered.com/app/99120/Yars_Revenge/

Also it's funny how nobody mentioned the obvious, which is that several apps shown are games already included in Atari Vault... I guess they're (supposed to be) shortcuts to favorites, but since they already threw a few mobile games in there...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'm still doing some digging, but I can't wait to post this.

Atari's faking it again.

I know, I know, what a shock.

But let's have a look:

fakevcs1.thumb.png.73a8e898f3d3d2e2c429b17bc8be8eb4.png

What's this? It has a power cable plugged in, but the HDMI cable... doesn't plug into the system. It loops around and then goes down the left side. Hmmm...

Oh, I know, it's actually attached to the VCS and the other cable is just a network cable! Maybe, but the angle that the HDMI cable goes in at makes no sense, and keep in mind that the HDMI cable would plug in where the supposed network cable is (i.e., if that was a network cable and not a single, looped HDMI cable, the middle and right-hand cables would have to have their positions swapped).

vcsports.thumb.jpg.de5259011c7b042b73687a01dc9de90d.jpg

Notice where the HDMI and Ethernet jacks are. The wrong way around for this CES video to be legit.

Okay, so the VCS unit isn't the one display the video on the GAEMS portable display (seriously, fire whoever came up with that name).

What about the rest we've seen?

Ohohoho, you haven't seen ANYTHING yet. I was surprised just how every bloody frame of their Twitter video gets shadier as it goes. Here we go:

fakevcs3.png.99bcf11e81b00fab820a825797495a54.png

Sandbox being its own app? A bit weird, since it's meant to boot into it when an SSD is plugged in, but it's technically possible to do it this way. Apparently they have a YouTube app though! Nobody tell Google. It's a secret from them.

fakevcs4.png.fb3f62e5704c70cdaeda0a0aaf07b696.png

Wait a minute, once they scroll across twice, they get back to the same screen, but with... a slightly different arrangement? Is this a poor man's copy-and-paste job?

As others have pointed out, Breakout's image is just the Google "Image Breakout". Come on Atari, why haven't you sued Google over this yet? Surely your lawyers can win THIS case!

breakout_google.thumb.png.1582340e15231e595ca919f019fdb0cf.png

Next up, we have...

fakevcs5.png.18bfb690dec823ec80d57f62ff580474.png

repetition...? Sandbox, YouTube, Chromium (at least they got this part of their fake demo right), Redbox and Facebook. Wait, Redbox and Facebook have VCS apps too? Hot damn, this sounds amazing! Just don't tell Redbox and Facebook about them! They're also secrets. Or... wait, are these the secret partnerships that they couldn't talk about but quietly revealed in this video? AND they've got the first Redbox Linux app ever? Say it ain't so, Atari!

But wait, there's more!

fakevcs6.png.69182864c6888323d0330159ca08856d.png

Centipede is FREE, guys! FREE! Just in case you weren't happy with the copy that comes with Atari Vault. This one's just the regular Atari Vault though, not the Mega Vault (I thought Mega Atari Vault was previously something else, but I can't find reference to the previous name they gave their "enhanced" version, so I'm not sure on that one).

Apparently, Asteroid and Antstream are free, too (I guess the Anstream app being free would make sense, but still).

fakevcs7.png.3c62cee8490e6b8ce75fa135b73ddb8d.png

Not only that, but we also get Tempest 4000 for free! And... Hoops Clash? Which I earlier confused with Basketball Classics, the game they've been using in promo images, because I'm dumb. FYI, they're not the same game. Just in case anyone else was confused. Different basketball game. This one (Hoops Clash) is exclusive to iOS (there's not even an Android version - well, okay, there was, but it seems to have been removed). But it's now on the VCS too, guys! From the same company that brought you hot diarrhoea such as Star Trek Trexels (if you haven't played it and you love Star Trek, save yourself the trouble - it's another piss-poor mobile game and an insult to the franchise).

fakevcs8.png.0fe17bd504ae0d21e64307e86c4ab9ce.png

Oh, oh, I know who the camera man is! It's MIKE KENNEDY!

You can download Windows, Ubuntu AND Debian for free, as apps. Sure, the last two are free, Windows 10 is sort of free, and you could theoretically run them on this hardware (if this was actually running on the VCS hardware, which it isn't), but... Well, you get the idea.

If there aren't at least a dozen red flags that have been risen by now, well, I'm sure we'll find more amongst these disaster to discuss. And with that, I'm going back to scrutinising all their photos and videos again, because I have nothing better to do.

EDIT: Forgot to add this one. Apologies that it's crappy - it's the best I could do with the toaster-quality videos and images they've given us (probably on purpose) so that the cables can be "clearly" seen. It's hard to tell, but considering the HDMI cable is the "thick" cable, it looks like it might be connecting to something inside the cabinet instead of the machine itself.

fakevcs2.thumb.png.dcf5609063e06cef3cc9f8393d23e93a.png

Like I said, hard to tell, but given the GAEMS one is BS, this probably is too.

Edited by TankedThomas
Forgot to add the second image I had. So now it's the last image.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

fakevcs4.png.fb3f62e5704c70cdaeda0a0aaf07b696.png

Wait a minute, once they scroll across twice, they get back to the same screen, but with... a slightly different arrangement? Is this a poor man's copy-and-paste job?

breakout_google.thumb.png.1582340e15231e595ca919f019fdb0cf.png

Next up, we have........

fakevcs5.png.18bfb690dec823ec80d57f62ff580474.png

repetition...? Sandbox, YouTube, Chromium (at least they got this part of their fake demo right), Redbox and Facebook. Wait, Redbox and Facebook have VCS apps too?

I'm gonna play devils' advocate a bit here. If you have a look at the top of the screen, theres actually different sections for "Home", "Games", "Apps", "Store", etc.

When you see him scroll right and the apps "repeating" themselves, he's actually switching between different sections (e.g. moving from "Home" to "Games"). The home section probably just displays your recently played apps or something.

The rest of the stuff you pointed out is top-notch stuff though. Free Windows 10? I wish. LOL. Who even uses Redbox for movies? o w o

I kinda wish they took the layout and spacing of the "Store" section and put it in the other sections as well. The lack of consistency there is jarring, but the "Store" section is easier for my eyes to adjust to. 

When i get my unit, I'm probably never going to use this UI because of how clunky it looks. Ill load retroarch on there and be done with it.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I'm gonna play devils' advocate a bit here. If you have a look at the top of the screen, theres actually different sections for "Home", "Games", "Apps", "Store", etc.

When you see him scroll right and the apps "repeating" themselves, he's actually switching between different sections (e.g. moving from "Home" to "Games"). The home section probably just displays your recently played apps or something.

The rest of the stuff you pointed out is top-notch stuff though. Free Windows 10? I wish. LOL. Who even uses Redbox for movies? o w o

I kinda wish theu took the layout and spacing of the "Store" section and put it in the other sections as well. The lack of consistency there is jarring, but the "Store" section is easier for my eyes to adjust to. 

When i get my unit, I'm probably never going to use this UI because of how clunky it looks. Ill load retroarch on there and be done with it.

True, I didn't consider that, but the fact that they have everything on the "Home" screen makes those tabs redundant.

I still doubt they'll actually have this UI on the final product. Assuming the final product comes out. Might be wise to change your "when" to an "if".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A Las Vegas Review-Journal article says a standard 10' x 10' ( ~3m x 3m) booth at CES is $4500.  If they need a second person there might be related expenses, but they've brought a second employee to a conference before. 

I suspect cost isn't what's keeping Atari from having a booth; it's that it would be very public.  No exclusive invitations. Any Kieren McCarthy could just stroll up and start asking uncomfortable questions.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1