IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, RedWolfJC said:

Well I suppose technically they aren't lying about this either.

In their medium post they say this:  
At CES 2020, Atari is hosting invite-only, hands-on demonstrations of the Atari VCS dashboard GUI (Graphical User Interface), Atari Vault, Antstream Arcade, and Sandbox PC Mode, which will include accessing everything from a Windows desktop to Steam games to streaming apps. Atari VCS appearance models will be on hand to show everyone how the finished Atari VCS hardware will look.

So I suppose one could say they never actually said any of this was being displayed on an actual VCS, just that they were demonstrating the dashboard interface.

So, again we're back to deception/half truths.

This is what I'm saying. These guys are not sharp to be sure, but even they could pull a small form factor PC out of it's case, tape it in their project box, and call it doneski. They don't even have to install the OS cuz it was already on the ssd.  What is it with all these wannabe retro gaming corporate titans? Do they all have to be arrogant, egotistical clueless cliches? I think we pretty much checked those boxes for every old game console name now. I'm glad there are at least some capable people in the home brew scene making stuff you don't have to suspend disbelieve or suck up to braggarts and egomaniacs to get.

<Insert random Tommy Tallarico search string here> And yes Tommy, that was for you.

edited to include Tommy's trademark image.gif.7e87f9cb20e5c39f4cfc9b69b95030b9.gif to keep it professional and all in good fun. image.gif.47afc639293f652114420058fdd544bd.gifimage.gif.b6efd39b5e2560628ab1789fd2d45f7c.gif

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

It's interesting to see everyone kind of trying to figure out/debate whether the footage is real or fake. o u o 

I have a feeling it is real, finally. I mean..... I would fucking hope so by this point. If it's actually proven to be fake, then that's the end of their company, simply put.

Right now, it could honestly go either way. The fact that the guy was playing the game using a wireless controller doesn't mean anything. The VCS could easily have bluetooth built in, or at the very least a USB Bluetooth receiver. Since that is in fact a possibility, it's not a good idea to automatically assume "FAAAAKE" just because he's playing with a wireless controller.

If it sounds like I'm supporting the VCS suddenly-- I assure you, I'm not. I'm being very much realistic here and pointing out all the possibilities. Sure, you could be right that it's fake, and I could be wrong. But until it's finally proven either way, we can all make up theories that either explain and validate the footage as being real OR being fake.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

The fact that the guy was playing the game using a wireless controller doesn't mean anything. The VCS could easily have bluetooth built in, or at the very least a USB Bluetooth receiver. Since that is in fact a possibility, it's not a good idea to automatically assume "FAAAAKE" just because he's playing with a wireless controller.

It's got Bluetooth. They showed the wireless card in the factory images. It being wireless isn't why we're saying it's fake. If it's wireless, then what's the alleged USB cable for, going around the left side? I think that's more likely the power cable.

I have some other thoughts about it being fake but I'll get to them later when I'm awake again. 

Edited by TankedThomas
  • Like 1

I maintain that whether or not it's fake is moot at this point.

They haven't started manufacturing.

They haven't shown it in public. 

They haven't shown any unique software except for a half-baked selection menu that misspells two of their crown jewel properties. 

The fact that they made it to that hotel suite from the airport should be amazing enough. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

They haven't shown any unique software except for a half-baked selection menu that misspells two of their crown jewel properties. 

The fact that they made it to that hotel suite from the airport should be amazing enough. 

Hey, it's tough to get through the Vegas airport with an intact wallet for some people with all of those gamblin' machines everywhere. Especially for a group as money-hungry as Atari SA is, they might take that FedEx story to heart and think "Hey, if we get lucky, we'll have this thing properly funded without a hitch!"

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

27 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

It's got Bluetooth. They showed the wireless card in the factory images. It being wireless isn't why we're saying it's fake. If it's wireless, then what's the alleged USB cable for, going around the left side? I think that's more likely the power cable.

I have some other thoughts about it being fake but I'll get to them later when I'm awake again. 

It could be a hard drive, don't know. If the Atari VCS is basically just like any other x86/64-based PC, it is probably able to boot up via USB device. 

44 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

It's a very long cable; probably for the controller. It moves in both videos and more so in the Fortnite one.  The boot-up video has it plugged into the back side, for some reason.  The Fortnite video seems to be plugged into the front USB.  I don't think we've ever seen either controller work wirelessly; ostensibly to keep the battery from running down.

If you see something I don't, that's cool.  But I think it's just a red herring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Special Teams said:

1685716602_atariplan.thumb.JPG.fd2b08193be12411a3483c0fb596a2ad.JPG

Honestly, Eric Cartman would likely be a better CEO of Atari than Fred Chesnais. No joke.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Agreed. Regardless of your arguments, it's the same, pitiful end result: this console has not reached the manufacturing stage, neither the hardware or software are anywhere close to being finished, and if the VCS does ever reach that point it's not be anytime within the year of 2020.

They made their outboarded, selectivity suitcased showcase in order to give an appearance that the project is farther along than it truly is, but made it invite only so that they don't get too many skeptics in there to minimize negative press.

These things are clear regardless if the entire demo is faked and they're using another [likely single board] computer, or that board they've been showing us for the past couple months was actually getting used for those demos.

Regardless of what's proven true, it's important to remember that this back alley CES booth has clearly shown us that the VCS is still not any closer to primetime than when Wyatt suddenly left, when he was brought on board, when the IGG campaign got funded, or when Fegral Mac got booted off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Backers are ecstatic though.   I guess when expectations are this low, it's not hard to make your supporters happy. 

• Like 3

What is the low bar for expectations in the real world? The garbage that Hypershit puts out? Well, at least their stuff exists (how many PC engines and TG16's are going to die with their AV adapter).

It is not hard to do better than that, but apparently for shambling corpse Atari SA, it is.

edit (stupid spell check....)

Edited by cybercylon

11 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

What is the low bar for expectations in the real world? The garbage that Hypershit puts out? Well, at least their stuff exists (how many PC engines and TG16's are going to die with their AV adapter).

It is not hard to do better than that, but apparently for shambling corpse Atari SA, it is.

edit (stupid spell check....)

Atgames takes a lot of flack, but I've enjoyed the portable Genesis I got for Christmas about 4 years ago, despite the obvious flaws.   My Nomad is a better system, but battery life is a problem. 

Atgames has done quite a bit of shady stuff, and released some crap products, but compared to Nutari, they look like the most pro-consumer company that's ever come along.  Their stuff actually exists, which is also a plus.

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, JBerel said:

They're just ecstatic anybody is still saying anything about it at all. I can kinda see their point. I mean, really, what's the alternative?

We've been talking about this thing constantly, and all the backers do is complain about that!

If, theoretically, this system ever releases, the level of confusion around it will be off the charts.  If people couldn't figure out the point of the Wii-U, a system that doesn't have any games that run natively is really going to be confusing to the masses.   Can't wait to see all the new VCS owners on Reddit begging for ROM sites.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Atgames takes a lot of flack, but I've enjoyed the portable Genesis I got for Christmas about 4 years ago, despite the obvious flaws.   My Nomad is a better system, but battery life is a problem. 

Atgames has done quite a bit of shady stuff, and released some crap products, but compared to Nutari, they look like the most pro-consumer company that's ever come along.  Their stuff actually exists, which is also a plus.

I would put Atgames above Hyperkin. That said, I don't buy products from either... at least not anymore.

11 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

I would put Atgames above Hyperkin. That said, I don't buy products from either... at least not anymore.

AtGames is fine for what it is... I'm glad it's there.  Hyperkin is as scuzzy as mike Kennedy and only moderately more competent than Freddie Cheznits.  I try to avoid them but I'm not seeing an alternative to getting a Retron 77 at some point.  

Retro-Bit seems like the clear winner by default.  They aren't great, but they would probably piss on me if I was on fire.

• Like 3