IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 1/13/2020 at 11:51 PM, Flojomojo said:

Fred is the fifth element!

Fire ... Water ... Earth ... Air .................. Cheese? ?

5thcheese.gif.4accd50f976f2aed8cd4c9e11b4782eb.gif

On 1/14/2020 at 8:49 PM, Flojomojo said:

Worst sauce I've ever tasted. 

assmouth.jpeg.927ef1b8dbf12ef892fa50a3045eb685.jpeg

Here's a cropped pic for any tin foil hat taco types to peruse.

vcsmaybe.thumb.jpg.1e1f92feaf99cf60ef9dd99278e1f724.jpg

11 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

image.thumb.png.65b8c71e0aea6b1610f7219b6a3e85a3.png

Is this a recent pic Franko?  If so, then where's the power lead for the Ashoebox  ....... again?    If it's old, then ....

ntsh.gif.e17c0b2816932d86ff553812d526add6.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

Here's a cropped pic for any tin foil hat taco types to peruse.

vcsmaybe.thumb.jpg.1e1f92feaf99cf60ef9dd99278e1f724.jpg

I don't see anything particularly interesting there, other than to note that of the 4 wood textures (cabinet, cabinet back panel, wooden box, Atari VCS), the game console looks worst. Also, what's in the wooden box?

1545144478_cropped2020ces.thumb.jpg.f05e35b9e8dcba5e453659a69b8fc64b.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

I think he may be suggesting there's no visible power cord.

Ah. Hm. Maybe it's drawing power from HDMI like the Coleco FPGA console? ?

Doesn't really matter, no more than wondering if Fred is wearing the same khakis in both of those pictures 20 months apart. Atari Vault is cute but not a system seller. I'd be more interested in picking at the hardware if there were some software they were proud enough to show. Recent internal (though publicly accessible) communications suggested they would "begin renegotiation" for content providers after the hardware launches. 

Won't somebody buy out these jokers already and put an end to this mishegoss?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Ah. Hm. Maybe it's drawing power from HDMI like the Coleco FPGA console? ?

Doesn't really matter, no more than wondering if Fred is wearing the same khakis in both of those pictures 20 months apart. Atari Vault is cute but not a system seller. I'd be more interested in picking at the hardware if there were some software they were proud enough to show. Recent internal (though publicly accessible) communications suggested they would "begin renegotiation" for content providers after the hardware launches. 

Won't somebody buy out these jokers already and put an end to this mishegoss?

But isn't this fun? o u o

I made so many new friends thanks to this fiasco. 8D

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

But isn't this fun? o u o

I made so many new friends thanks to this fiasco. 8D

But can you really say that in the virtual world? Isn't the rule of thumb is that someone has to have to "passed the handshake test" before you can start calling them a friend? Of course, hands have to have been in the back of pants first with anyone that you may actually meet in the real world from this thread.

• Haha 2

The definition of "friend" seems to have changed a lot in the generation of Facebook and other social media. Quite regularly I now get friend requests from real people - not sexbots - who just happen to know one of my online friends or tangentally share the same interest without me even have interacted with them in conversation. Usually I dismiss those as if I have never interacted with you as any person in the room, why would I want to bond as a friend?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

But can you really say that in the virtual world? Isn't the rule of thumb is that someone has to have to "passed the handshake test" before you can start calling them a friend? Of course, hands have to have been in the back of pants first with anyone that you may actually meet in the real world from this thread.

Nah, in today's day and age, there's internet friends. o u o 

I also met quite a few online friends in real life, too. And they all were just as cool as when I would talk to them online. ;o

We also have more access to video calling these days.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Nah, in today's day and age, there's internet friends. o u o 

I also met quite a few online friends in real life, too. And they all were just as cool as when I would talk to them online. ;o

We also have more access to video calling these days.

Yea... I know that. I was just messing with you with my old fart Gen X persona.

Except the part about having the hands in the back of your pants first, especially when it comes to this thread ?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

There is something I like more on Atari VCS than other upcoming systems:

It has original Atari 2600 joysticks.

There are lots of bashing of this console in this thread.

It doesn't have original joysticks. It has modern joysticks with retro styling. We don't have any independent reporting on

- how they feel (the sharp edges on the base seem like a mistake),

- how they work (they look to be self-centering analog sticks)

- how special features are implemented (they've promised rotating paddle functionality, but have also made clear they don't know what they're doing)

- when they will be available 

As for "bashing of this console," 

- it's more about the process, the communication, the incompetence

- what console? 

4 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

Which is half the storage that was previously announced, and the lowest announced memory spec. "Atari" supposedly outfitted the "Crystal Ghost" as a "hot rod" with 32GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. Either Kingston or "Atari" mislabeled their demo unit, or this is the first sign that they're walking back yet another aspect of the original plan. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to cut some parts to keep the cost down, since this isn't remotely competitive with anything. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It doesn't have original joysticks. It has modern joysticks with retro styling. We don't have any independent reporting on

- how they feel (the sharp edges on the base seem like a mistake),

- how they work (they look to be self-centering analog sticks)

- how special features are implemented (they've promised rotating paddle functionality, but have also made clear they don't know what they're doing)

- when they will be available 

As for "bashing of this console," 

- it's more about the process, the communication, the incompetence

- what console? 

Which is half the storage that was previously announced, and the lowest announced memory spec. "Atari" supposedly outfitted the "Crystal Ghost" as a "hot rod" with 32GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. Either Kingston or "Atari" mislabeled their demo unit, or this is the first sign that they're walking back yet another aspect of the original plan. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to cut some parts to keep the cost down, since this isn't remotely competitive with anything. 

I wonder how feasible it would be to get in contact with Nathan Kirsch, just to see what his experience was with the console in person. 

5 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I wonder how feasible it would be to get in contact with Nathan Kirsch, just to see what his experience was with the console in person. 

Well, he's right there on Twitter. I wouldn't expect much, since it said "please do not touch" and he photographed the same stuff that Atari PR did. 

https://twitter.com/LegitReviews/status/1215365047330971648

30 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Well, he's right there on Twitter. I wouldn't expect much, since it said "please do not touch" and he photographed the same stuff that Atari PR did. 

https://twitter.com/LegitReviews/status/1215365047330971648

I sent him a message just out of curiosity. If he was invited by Atari to look at the console, I'm not expecting any kind of response (he probably had to sign an agreement of some sort to not talk about it to anyone), but I thought I'd try anyway..

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, frankodragon said:

image.thumb.png.efdf4ceb300239c330911ded432d8982.png

My comment was in reference to someone else asking Atari to wish their daughter "happy birthday" and I was poking fun at it, but way to go on taking my comment out of context.  :)  Yes, I have a child.  No, she's not named Atari. :D

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Serguei2 said:

There is something I like more on Atari VCS than other upcoming systems:

It has original Atari 2600 joysticks.

There are lots of bashing of this console in this thread.

As Flojomojo said, they have the 2600 style, but until people get some hands-on time, it's impossible to make a final judgement on that. But, out of everything Atari has mentioned on the VCS, the joysticks have received the least amount of bashing or "hate."

If you've got some other positive things to give us on the VCS, then let's hear it. Nothing is stopping you from touting it's virtues if it has any to tout. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

My comment was in reference to someone else asking Atari to wish their daughter "happy birthday" and I was poking fun at it, but way to go on taking my comment out of context.  :)  Yes, I have a child.  No, she's not named Atari. :D

ALRIGHT!!!! We got Lucas! Welcome aboard, have some tacos!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I sent him a message just out of curiosity. If he was invited by Atari to look at the console, I'm not expecting any kind of response (he probably had to sign an agreement of some sort to not talk about it to anyone), but I thought I'd try anyway..

I'm pretty sure that's just the public Kinsgston booth/room at CES.  Some of the official booths are hotel rooms apparently:

https://ces20.mapyourshow.com/8_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=T0001412