IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

14 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

My comment was in reference to someone else asking Atari to wish their daughter "happy birthday" and I was poking fun at it, but way to go on taking my comment out of context.  :)  Yes, I have a child.  No, she's not named Atari. :D

You need to immediately provide your child's age, astrological sign, social security number and other vital information to Tommy Tallarico stat so you may continue to engage with this community.

Also, you are not authorized to use the international symbol ( :D ) for passive aggressive d-bags until you fully complete your application questionnaire and participate in your free test drive. That is all.

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, JBerel said:

You need to immediately provide your child's age, astrological sign, social security number and other vital information to Tommy Tallarico stat so you may continue to engage with this community.

Also, you are not authorized to use the international symbol ( :D ) for passive aggressive d-bags until you fully complete your application questionnaire and participate in your free test drive. That is all.

Did somebody say my name?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

My comment was in reference to someone else asking Atari to wish their daughter "happy birthday" and I was poking fun at it, but way to go on taking my comment out of context.  :)  Yes, I have a child.  No, she's not named Atari. :D

Welcome and like the others said grab some tacos. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it's an older pic but still funny how Cheesenuts looks like he's about to scratch an itch, and notice the current Atari Vault pic there is no bright LED glowing from the un-console.

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Too bad he didn't turn more sideways, so it looked like Pac-Man was about to bite his a$$.

image.png.f8605ae228bfa44af96b7e061ddcf51b.png

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, JBerel said:

Her name is Intellivision.  I am ashamed.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

You shouldn't be. It's a superior console!

It even has its own song!

My dad bought an Intellivision when i was about 3.  I love Intellivision!  It was my intro to consoles and gaming in general.  There's room for all consoles in my heart.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It doesn't have original joysticks. It has modern joysticks with retro styling. We don't have any independent reporting on

- how they feel (the sharp edges on the base seem like a mistake),

- how they work (they look to be self-centering analog sticks)

- how special features are implemented (they've promised rotating paddle functionality, but have also made clear they don't know what they're doing)

- when they will be available 

As long as it feels like the original, it's fine.

I noted most arcade games will be available at the launch.

Will STUN Runner one of them?

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

If you've got some other positive things to give us on the VCS, then let's hear it. Nothing is stopping you from touting it's virtues if it has any to tout. 

It's just the beginning.

Edited by Serguei2
typo

1 hour ago, Serguei2 said:

Almost certainly not. S.T.U.N. Runner is NOT owned by the company currently known as "Atari." Don't confuse the two just because of the name you remember from the 30-year-old arcade cabinet. 

In 1984 the failing Atari company was split in two: Atari CORP and Atari GAMES. 

Atari Corp got the home games, the home computers, and the arcade games prior to 1984. That's why we keep seeing Asteroids and Centipede on Atari Flashback (and Vault) collections. They pretty much stopped innovating for arcade-style at that point, apart from the Lynx, Jaguar, and home computer lines. 

Atari Games was the name of the new coin-op division. They are the ones that made Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Paperboy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Hydra, STUN Runner, Hard Drivin', Gauntlet Legends, and San Francisco Rush. They were a lively part of the 1990s arcade, until that scene ended. These games appear on collections like Midway Arcade Treasures and are now owned by Warner. 

Today, Atari SA (heir to the Atari Corp properties) is in a weak position, and doesn't have much to add. They mostly license their stuff to bigger companies, and sue t-shirt and sticker companies for infringing on their brand. "Atari is Back with the VCS" is mostly a lie. 

Warner Bros Interactive is a modern games studio with lots to offer. Their LEGO games are probably the best known. 

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

It's just the beginning.

Well, we're ready when you're ready

tenor.gif?itemid=5885685

As for "most arcade games," I guess it depends on how you define "most." Since you're referring to the poorly reviewed Antstream subscription service, if you mean most Data East games, then kind of. It also has some SNK titles, but nowhere close to all of them. It's a C-grade list for the most part.

In looking over their games list, I recognize a lot of names myself as I'm pretty well-versed in the arcade biz, but a vast majority of the arcade titles are very obscure to every day gamers. Exceptions are there like the Double Dragon games, Rygar, two of the seven Metal Slug arcade games, BurgerTime, Heavy Barrel and Vanguard, but for the most part, Antstream is more for Commodore fans than anything else. They might improve, but overall that service is a crapshoot and for people without the knowledge of setting up an emulator : https://www.antstream.com/gameslist

Sorry, nothing from Atari Games (Atari arcade titles from 1984-2001), Midway, Williams, Nintendo, Sega, Namco, Konami, Capcom & Taito, among others. Atari Vault has some pre-1984 Atari arcade versions on it at least. But part of our criticism has been that you can 1) Get all of these games on other existing platforms (and likely on devices you already own) for cheaper 2) Offering classics in their original (emulated) form isn't exactly novel anymore. It's certainly not a primary reason to spending $300~ on a new platform, at least by my view.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Almost certainly not. S.T.U.N. Runner is NOT owned by the company currently known as "Atari." Don't confuse the two just because of the name you remember from the 30-year-old arcade cabinet. 

In 1984 the failing Atari company was split in two: Atari CORP and Atari GAMES. 

Atari Corp got the home games, the home computers, and the arcade games prior to 1984. That's why we keep seeing Asteroids and Centipede on Atari Flashback (and Vault) collections. They pretty much stopped innovating for arcade-style at that point, apart from the Lynx, Jaguar, and home computer lines. 

Atari Games was the name of the new coin-op division. They are the ones that made Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Paperboy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Hydra, STUN Runner, Hard Drivin', Gauntlet Legends, and San Francisco Rush. They were a lively part of the 1990s arcade, until that scene ended. These games appear on collections like Midway Arcade Treasures and are now owned by Warner. 

Today, Atari SA (heir to the Atari Corp properties) is in a weak position, and doesn't have much to add. They mostly license their stuff to bigger companies, and sue t-shirt and sticker companies for infringing on their brand. "Atari is Back with the VCS" is mostly a lie. 

Warner Bros Interactive is a modern games studio with lots to offer. Their LEGO games are probably the best known. 

Ok. Then all Atari VCS games are the same likes originals, not remakes or remades?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

Ok. Then all Atari VCS games are the same likes originals, not remakes or remades?

They can only remake games they own the rights to, and by "they" I mean whatever studio Atari can get to make them.

This is how Atari raised 3 million bucks. People don't even understand what Atari is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

If you mean the Atari VCS that this thread is about, then they've not announced anything in remake territory beyond what will come with the Atari Vault, while also implying that you'll be able to buy emulated copies of 2600 games through their shop system. They also have shown Tempest 4000, albeit not running on the VCS yet. 

If you want to know what the current Atari has under their ownership, here's a list. They have sold off a lot of their games. One example is BattleZone - that is no longer an Atari property (hasn't been since 2012). https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GTt13SyHyYCSOTUAyKCdHS0TOOthVzGT/view

Atari has done some remakes in recent years, mainly on Haunted House and a bizarre attempt at Asteroids that never made it very far. I also just found out that Ninja Golf is being remade for mobile...not sure why they don't announce it for the VCS too. Night Driver also got a mobile remake. One problem with these remakes though is that they are all crap...they get terrible reviews and are forgotten about overnight. If there is such a thing as "Nintendo Magic" in keep old IP alive with fresh ideas, it's staying far away from Atari HQ. I also find it very interesting that they have not announced any of these games as coming to the VCS; no announcement of their star IP, Rollercoaster Tycoon coming to it either. Why that is, you'll have to ask them, but you'll probably get a non-answer like everyone else does (if a response even comes along).

As Flojomojo pointed out, Atari SA is not the Atari of the Warner or Tramiel eras. They pay 3rd parties to make stuff or just license their IP to others instead of having an in-house development team to code things. What Atari is now is a small team of licensing people and lawyers, who don't know the first thing about making games or game consoles. Which is why this thread is full of skeptics and "haters" (I think the word "realists" is more appropriate ;) ) 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
changed a thought.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

So what is the story with Hyperchase and Pole Position for the Vectrex?
Does atari hold any rights to those? not that I would compare the far superior vector based game with the Night Driver. I think Activision made the Vectrx one.

Edited by OCAT

3 minutes ago, OCAT said:

So what is the story with Hyperchase and Pole Position for the Vectrex?
Does atari hold any rights to those? not that I would compare the far superior vector based game with the Night Driver. I think Activision made the Vectrx one.

Atari never held the rights to PP, it was a Namco game. It only showed up in Atari cabinets due to manufacturing contracts/agreements that they put together back-in-the-day (that also applied to stuff like Dig Dug and Xevious). Often the rights were handled separately between arcades and consoles, which is why Midway did Pac-Man in arcades, Atari had it on consoles.

Doing a quick check, Hyperchase was created by Jeff Corsiglia & Chris King for the Vectrex, Pole Position was developed and published by GCE. 

• Like 5