IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Is there an official countdown timer to the release date?

So, in that video where it is is sandbox mode and booting up windows, exactly how did they log into windows with a controller?
all those wires where going in and out and around that little cabinet, where was the keyboard and mouse? and what was up with that stupid jump cut?
was it to cut out the 30 mins it took to load the gaem?

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

Is there an official countdown timer to the release date?

So, in that video where it is is sandbox mode and booting up windows, exactly how did they log into windows with a controller?
all those wires where going in and out and around that little cabinet, where was the keyboard and mouse? and what was up with that stupid jump cut?
was it to cut out the 30 mins it took to load the gaem?

My guess earliest will be late February that they get this out. They should get it out sooner according to the weeks not months, but I think we are not going to see that. Otherwise you are counting down to a late March/early April release. Feel bad the backers might not get their converse shoes before the public.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lodmot said:

Ehh....... maybe...? I dunno...

Even with all the illogical/unethical decisions Atari's made over 2 years, I think it's a tad extreme to think Atari would prep a "fake functional" motherboard just to trick us. Also, that heatsink in the actual motherboard they showed off would have to fit on the so-called "generic x86 board" that they supposedly stuffed into the shell. Not to mention, prepping other things like the USB ports and the front LED, etc. It just seems like a lot of trouble just to fake people out, you know? But who knows... Not saying it's impossible though.

As a reminder, many of us don't think Atari will put out nothing... rather all indications are that whatever they put out will fall far short of expectations. 

6 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

More I read, more I think it's a pc in Atari VCS shell.

But again, I might be wrong.

Many have pointed out that putting some generic PC in a shell isn't that hard, and they could have done this already. The fact that they haven't is a combination of gross incompetence and also some sleazy tactics. There are many ranch hands that are working at the f_ckup farm that is Atari SA, so I wouldn't rule out that whole thing implodes before they release something.

• Like 5

I expect Atari to run out of petty cash that the backers gave them before they can ship all these "consoles" out, or they might ship out 1/2 of the backer units and the other half of them will just be empty collector shells with 2 AA batteries wired up to a switch and an LED.

I have very low expectations of these fools

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Lodmot said:

Ehh....... maybe...? I dunno...

Even with all the illogical/unethical decisions Atari's made over 2 years, I think it's a tad extreme to think Atari would prep a "fake functional" motherboard just to trick us. Also, that heatsink in the actual motherboard they showed off would have to fit on the so-called "generic x86 board" that they supposedly stuffed into the shell. Not to mention, prepping other things like the USB ports and the front LED, etc. It just seems like a lot of trouble just to fake people out, you know? But who knows... Not saying it's impossible though.

You're overcomplicating it. It's pretty easy, really. 

They don't have to use that exact cooling solution and, again, we have no idea how hot/loud it's running anyway. 

They solved the LED problem two years ago with their fake-ass prototypes. 

USB ports are easy to do with basic breakout boards. 

Anyone with half a brain, ten minutes on YouTube, and a few hundred buckaroos can slap together something like this I'm an evening. I'd do it myself for proof if I wasn't broke. 

10 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I have a wired Power A controller for the Switch- it was el cheapo stuff that lasted me a month of gameplay before one of the analog sticks gave out.

I forgot to mention this earlier, and I might take some photos later to prove my point, but that latest closeup on the Atari controller shows it's an almost 1:1 replica of PowerA's Switch controller.

The only noticeable difference other than colour is the crevasse in the middle and the Atari button, but I figure that might be a holdover from an Xbox or PlayStation variant I have yet to see. 

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

It's not too late for them to ship with Windows 10 Home, some custom Atari wallpapers, and a Steam key for Atari Vault. That would solve a bunch of the software problems and would make this more desirable to (casual) gamers. 

Normally I'd say nothing is below Microsoft but... Would Microsoft even want to sell these goons licenses for Windows?

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

My guess earliest will be late February that they get this out. They should get it out sooner according to the weeks not months, but I think we are not going to see that. Otherwise you are counting down to a late March/early April release. Feel bad the backers might not get their converse shoes before the public.

Unless those supposed 100 prototypes are sent to backers, there's no way these will be out in February. They even said they're going back to China soon to "finish" testing. They're nowhere near to production, let alone the chaos of Chinese New Year. 

Absolute best case scenario would be April, but that's assuming things like certification are already done, which they aren't, last we heard from Atari. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lodmot said:

I'm not contorting it into "they have working hardware". I'm trying to say it's a possibility that they have working hardware, and it would be highly impractical for them to "fake a console" by building an "alternate working" console.

Ataco have instilled 2-odd years of countless doubt into pigeons and on-lookers alike, with all their David Copperfield Kool-Aid Whats-In-The-Box shenanigans.  I have no doubt they're willing to go to any length to keep the masses from dumping a huge load of pigeon shit at their front door.

insdiebox.gif.2ecd8a9772f5b359f5ea15e77eac5038.gif

16 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

What do you mean? Fred's been trotting around the world with that mockup console for the media for months now. He's shown it to Stuart Varney and Steve Wozniak and we've seen the video with our own eyes.

I heard he took a trip to Kenya, but his stay was cut short and he was sent packing for some reason. 

wink.gif.257ba91ac7752d01d35bce6abff3741c.gif

12 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

What if it's pre-loaded with Combat?

Then run like f#ck if your anywhere near Johnny Phelan or Brandon!

kramer.gif.0e6bf4612aa2512d90133e8872462271.gifexplode.gif.955f6fd347aba93a1fdc22d56d276120.gif

4 hours ago, OCAT said:

I expect Atari to run out of petty cash that the backers gave them before they can ship all these "consoles" out, or they might ship out 1/2 of the backer units and the other half of them will just be empty collector shells with 2 AA batteries wired up to a switch and an LED.

Yeh ... but they'll be Kingston AA's.

sarcstic.gif.908021b2327cb97c24f0e8fa5b8997cf.gif

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

Find anything original "Atari" in this pic?  Oh, and, red bubble wrap.  Because! :P

IMG-7245.JPG

I think I can just make out some springs and cogs in the 2nd from the top left plastic draw, 2 inches in. 

• Haha 4

Looks like Atari's Twitter is (hyper)active again. They're just filling it with as much crap as they can. I'd be here all day if I broke down how stupid most of their tweets are. Go take a look if you want to see the chaos. Some of the replies are gold, too.

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Find anything original "Atari" in this pic?  Oh, and, red bubble wrap.  Because! :P

IMG-7245.JPG

Is this like a real Atari display - real stuff in the back, BS to distract you up front?

(Also, correction from earlier: the controller looks more like a Swtich Pro Controller, not one of PowerA's Switch controllers. I was looking at the split three sections on the front around the shoulder button area, and the triggers looked familiar too. I'm probably just overthinking it though. It's not like PowerA can't make controllers from scratch. Can't edit my previous post for some reason - must be a time limit on edits - so I'm just including this footnote here).

Edited by TankedThomas
Added correction

It is one of my 3 desks, the drawers are filled with PCB's I designed, you can probably be sure, that every single 7800 title from AA, used one of these. :)

The bubble wrap is just there to confuse people, and my cats. :P

• Like 2

I just noticed "in the back", only thing I can tell you that it is a triple monitor setup (1920 @ 24", 4K @ 50", 1920 @ 24"), nothing Atari about it.  I wonder if the un-taco can run such a setup.  I didn't even pay for the computer, but I knew for sure what it was. LOL

• Like 1

You mentioned parsec a little while ago. If we would build a manned space shuttle to go into space in search for another inhabited planet, and put the Ataribox team onto it (the shuttle, not the planet necessarily), which would happen first out of finding said planet or get the console finished for release once they get back to Earth?

Edited by carlsson
  • Haha 3

If they did decide to ship windows, I would expect Cheesehead to go around and buy up all the old discounted $5 Windows 7 and 8 activation keys and then get some unfortunate intern to spend all day to install and upgrade them for free to windows 10 xD
Not only will Atari fail to pay the intert but that intern will probably not even get a free Taco lunch. I would go as far to say that listing Atari as work experience would probably be a negative. That is if Atari does not use that intern as a scapegoat and throw him/her under the bus when they are allegedy found guilty of an international illegal gambling racket and embezzlement of backer money.

(ALLEGEDLY)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I just noticed "in the back", only thing I can tell you that it is a triple monitor setup (1920 @ 24", 4K @ 50", 1920 @ 24"), nothing Atari about it.  I wonder if the un-taco can run such a setup.  I didn't even pay for the computer, but I knew for sure what it was. LOL

Oh, I was just thinking of everything in the drawers. That's what I meant by "in the back". Lots of Atari bits and pieces in there. The stuff up the front is just a ruse though. So again, a bit like the VCS.

56 minutes ago, OCAT said:

If they did decide to ship windows, I would expect Cheesehead to go around and buy up all the old discounted $5 Windows 7 and 8 activation keys and then get some unfortunate intern to spend all day to install and upgrade them for free to windows 10 xD
Not only will Atari fail to pay the intert but that intern will probably not even get a free Taco lunch. I would go as far to say that listing Atari as work experience would probably be a negative. That is if Atari does not use that intern as a scapegoat and throw him/her under the bus when they are allegedy found guilty of an international illegal gambling racket and embezzlement of backer money.

(ALLEGEDLY)

I suspect Fred's too cheap for that. No, he'd just go around looking at old, used computers and taking photos of the keys on the side instead. I mean, it works, but... yeah. Not a bad way to get a key from old computers that are being recycled/thrown out; not so much good if you're doing them to sell.

41 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

taking photos of the keys on the side

Wasn't that how Microsoft Windows keys used to work 20 years ago? I think nowadays keys are tied to the hardware configuration, plus that once activated in principle it should not be possible to activate on another machine. There may be ways around that but I think it would take Fred & c:o more creativity than so.

Or they could simply plead to Microsoft to buy the entire company out and transform the Atari VCS into an Xbox Mini.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

You're overcomplicating it. It's pretty easy, really. 

They don't have to use that exact cooling solution and, again, we have no idea how hot/loud it's running anyway. 

They solved the LED problem two years ago with their fake-ass prototypes. 

USB ports are easy to do with basic breakout boards. 

Anyone with half a brain, ten minutes on YouTube, and a few hundred buckaroos can slap together something like this I'm an evening. I'd do it myself for proof if I wasn't broke. 

True, we don't know how hot it's runnning. I just don't want to assume anything though until I can see it in front of me. That's screwed me over before. xD

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Wasn't that how Microsoft Windows keys used to work 20 years ago? I think nowadays keys are tied to the hardware configuration, plus that once activated in principle it should not be possible to activate on another machine. There may be ways around that but I think it would take Fred & c:o more creativity than so.

Or they could simply plead to Microsoft to buy the entire company out and transform the Atari VCS into an Xbox Mini.

AFAIK they are tied to the hardware (motherboad by memory) with win10 especially. As for transferring to another rig there is write ups of ways people get around it or you can go the simple route like playswithwolves mention and ring Microsoft. When i worked in a repair shop they usually just reactivate the fresh install without too many questions asked. By memory they ask for a serial number and they give an activation code (well they used to anyway IIRC).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

AFAIK they are tied to the hardware (motherboad by memory) with win10 especially. As for transferring to another rig there is write ups of ways people get around it or you can go the simple route like playswithwolves mention and ring Microsoft. When i worked in a repair shop they usually just reactivate the fresh install without too many questions asked. By memory they ask for a serial number and they give an activation code (well they used to anyway IIRC).

Lately I think Microsoft has switched to tying the serial key to your hotmail account (which is actually more convenient for going from machine to machine). 

20 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Could've sworn I saw a news item a few years ago that a certain version of Windows 10 would be made free for smaller electronics. 

It appears you are right. Windows 10 IoT is free for certain types of hardware, e.g. a Raspberry Pi:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-windows-10-iot-free/f39cd82e-771e-44e6-a8bd-93da7d128d78

Windows 10 IoT Core Services supposedly are $0.30 per month:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/18/microsoft-announces-the-public-preview-of-windows-iot-core-services-today/

I don't know as well if the Atari VCS would qualify but if it does, suddenly Windows 10 for Internet of Things would be a viable OS. Whether you can run general Windows 10 based video games on that system is another matter.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Could've sworn I saw a news item a few years ago that a certain version of Windows 10 would be made free for smaller electronics.  Not sure if that's true or if AVCS would qualify.

[deleted unnecessary Win10 stuff.]

Yeah, but if the footage we recently saw is to go by, it looks like the full-blown Windows 10 is running on there.

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

You mentioned parsec a little while ago. If we would build a manned space shuttle to go into space in search for another inhabited planet, and put the Ataribox team onto it (the shuttle, not the planet necessarily), which would happen first out of finding said planet or get the console finished for release once they get back to Earth?

How fast are they traveling? If it is close to the speed of light, then you have the time dilation affect. If they do manage to finish something, we will have FTL drives by then, or more likely, Earth is a waste land where only cockroaches, tardigrades, and hot taco sauce have survived.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1