IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

19 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

AFAIK they are tied to the hardware (motherboad by memory) with win10 especially. As for transferring to another rig there is write ups of ways people get around it or you can go the simple route like playswithwolves mention and ring Microsoft. When i worked in a repair shop they usually just reactivate the fresh install without too many questions asked. By memory they ask for a serial number and they give an activation code (well they used to anyway IIRC).

One of my Macs that was dead and buried a few years ago had Windows 8.1 on it. I recently used that key on a second hand PC to activate Windows 10. I remember reading somewhere that an activation or two is tolerated over some span of time as long as the key isn't active on another machine.

12 hours ago, OCAT said:

Is there an official countdown timer to the release date?

So, in that video where it is is sandbox mode and booting up windows, exactly how did they log into windows with a controller?
all those wires where going in and out and around that little cabinet, where was the keyboard and mouse? and what was up with that stupid jump cut?
was it to cut out the 30 mins it took to load the gaem?

Could have cut out 30 minutes, could have cut out multiple crashes....

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, cybercylon said:

One of my Macs that was dead and buried a few years ago had Windows 8.1 on it. I recently used that key on a second hand PC to activate Windows 10. I remember reading somewhere that an activation or two is tolerated over some span of time as long as the key isn't active on another machine.

After reading many places on the interwebs i was getting conflicting results. Nov last year i had to install a new HDD on my Win7 laptop as it gave up the ghost and installed the unactivated version of win10 via USB from Microsofts website. I haven't tried to ring them to see if they will let me use the win7 key to activate it. I was under the assumption from what i read they wont allow old win7 keys to be used anymore. Maybe im wrong and should give it a go

Also did the same with my desktop while was at it, so would be interesting to see if they would reactivate both keys lol

Edited by TwentySixHundred

5 minutes ago, 5x7 said:

I wonder if it crashed there at the end.

Eh... There isn't really enough footage to go by to judge. 

I have to admit though, when I see this thing in action-- it makes me want to play it/play with the hardware. It's kinda sad...

I just wish Atari wasn't stupid with their communication. 

2 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

I have to admit though, when I see this thing in action-- it makes me want to play it/play with the hardware. It's kinda sad...

Are they stupid with communication or just intentionally vague?  Hard to say, really.   Why only 2 minutes of video?  If they've got a good product, they should show it off.

Unfortunately comments are turned off, because I wanted to ask if the video was recorded by a drunk using a flip phone.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

How in the holy hell is that supposed to be real when they still have "Asteroid" and "Yar's Revenge" in there? Wasn't their little gui demo running from Windows as they claimed in their blog post? So then, is this just another deliberately doctored video attempting to make it look like a functional unit? All they had to do was turn on the nightlight box and change inputs on the TV to a functional computer which was probably just running a video of another mockup for illustration demo. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

They also emailed today a recap of the show they didn't attend.

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/ces-2020-recap-from-the-atari-vcs-meeting-suite-1ab66df4b6a

ces.thumb.png.a48ec2c20e8ecf184ca1ac928c53cd94.png

ces2.thumb.png.d3b32c9f559f8a19e11077d2bc97eb4b.png

ces3.thumb.png.89c4cba906de1f08e8b905daadc02f4a.png

"In addition to the Atari suite, the team made playable Atari VCS units available to partners for their own activations. With the help of our good friends at GAEMS, makers of premier portable game systems, there was an Atari VCS unit in the PowerA hospitality suite, and another showcased at a PR event."

Further proof that they relied on other CES attenders as there never was an atari one. And from my understanding, Kingston had one "don't touch" model doing nothing.

EDIT: That nobody other than Atari and Kingston took a picture of, did Kingston have guests themselves? Did nobody take a picture of the Atari?

"Overall, CES was a great success for the Atari VCS team. Away from the actual show floor, Atari (like many companies) elected to take advantage of the very popular CES Venetian Tower Hospitality Suites. While the number of press meetings were limited in Atari’s suite this time around, there was no limitation on who was seeing and interacting with the Atari VCS pre-production units placed in our partners’ suites and the feedback was consistently positive from our contacts."

They were never there, one journalist apparently had an interview, but I've forgotten who it was, who they worked for or if there was anything that could credibly say it actually happened.

Also regarding video:

This is clearly footage of a software program that is only just being developed. They've shown going into a sub menu to view pictures and video files, no direct loading to gameplay. The conspiracy continues!

EDIT: Lets just be totally clear. Two weeks ago they had a menu that could scroll to another screen. This week they have managed to develop it to use photo and video apps to display files.

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Are they stupid with communication or just intentionally vague?  Hard to say, really.   Why only 2 minutes of video?  If they've got a good product, they should show it off.

Unfortunately comments are turned off, because I wanted to ask if the video was recorded by a drunk using a flip phone.   

Lol. XD

But yeah. Seeing them actually power the unit on in the back, and also actually launch games was re-assuring. Hopefully Atari will be able to at least fulfill peoples' orders. That's the best thing they can do at this point.

• Like 2

So....we are weeks into January and the manufacturing update is coming soon...

They are two months out. How can people still defend that they don't have this complete and are still working on it?

I get some want a basic PC to connect to TV that is sleek. Buy a souped up RPi4 and get one of the sleek new cases. Then continue gaming on the Xbox or PS that you already own.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

They are two months out. How can people still defend that they don't have this complete and are still working on it?

I get some want a basic PC to connect to TV that is sleek. Buy a souped up RPi4 and get one of the sleek new cases. Then continue gaming on the Xbox or PS that you already own.

This is the manufacturing update!

"While the VCS team continues to finalize manufacturing details at the factory, our confidence and enthusiasm coming out of CES was meaningful and significant, thanks to the positive feedback from everyone who demoed the Atari VCS there. We look forward to the day backers and customers will finally have units in their hands."

There are no units, there is no final product, there is not even a final design. Sure, Chinese factories can probably just "get on with it" once approved, but it still needs to be transported.

From: https://www.chinaimportal.com/blog/production-lead-times-in-asia-a-complete-guide/

"As Chinese manufacturers maintain a minimum amount of materials and components, purchases must be made from the subcontractors – which in turn may need to start production on their end. This is why manufacturers in most industries hesitate to set a production time shorter than 30 days. Then again, the production time varies greatly depending on the industry, and the volume ordered. However, in most cases, the production time is set somewhere between 30 to 60 days."

Production can also mean different things, including "not transported":

"

Depending on the arrival timing, the cargo can usually be loaded on the next container vessel within 2 to 4 days. Obviously, the transit time varies entirely depending on location. Below follows an overview for a a few routes:

• Shenzhen – London: 29 days
  • Shenzhen – Hamburg: 30 days
  • Shenzhen – Los Angeles: 19 days
  • Shenzhen – New York: 33 days"

There is also this helpful table at the end:

Tooling Production 0 – 60 days
General Production Time 30 – 60 days
QC & Compliance Testing
Quality Inspection: 3 – 5 days
Compliance Testing: 7 – 20 days
Shipping
Inland transportation (China): 1 – 3 days
Transit time (Sea): 7 – 33 days
Transit time (Air): 4 – 10 days
Inland transportation (Local): 1 – 2 days
Total 46 – 180 days

Presumably the tooling might be already done, due to the fact that a) they might have been smart enough to plan for this earlier (ok, asking a lot here) and b) its probably such a simple design that existing tools might be fine as it is.

This might be quicker with slave/prison labour which is currently rampant in China and might also save Atari money, but even so you're probably still looking at two months even after final design is approved before it reaches the Americas and Europe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I wonder if the inhabitants on the Planet of Apes prefer to play Donkey Kong or Congo Bongo. Of course neither is a property of Atari SA so it doesn't matter here.

Technically, we are the inhabitants :)

411905399_ScreenShot2020-01-17at8_46_16AM.thumb.png.1f906f078331c0a9c43cdb1f8d2efeda.png

I prefer Donkey Kong.

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Lodmot said:

Lol. XD

But yeah. Seeing them actually power the unit on in the back, and also actually launch games was re-assuring. Hopefully Atari will be able to at least fulfill peoples' orders. That's the best thing they can do at this point.

I'm not buying one until I see Atari's greatest game of all time: Guardians of the Hood running natively on it.

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Somehow because it's crowdfunding, that gives Atari a blank check to certain backers not to keep promises.  Even if Atari just cancelled the project altogether, you'd have people saying Atari did nothing wrong, because that's the risk of crowdfunding. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

This is the manufacturing update!

"While the VCS team continues to finalize manufacturing details at the factory, our confidence and enthusiasm coming out of CES was meaningful and significant, thanks to the positive feedback from everyone who demoed the Atari VCS there. We look forward to the day backers and customers will finally have units in their hands."

There are no units, there is no final product, there is not even a final design. Sure, Chinese factories can probably just "get on with it" once approved, but it still needs to be transported.

From: https://www.chinaimportal.com/blog/production-lead-times-in-asia-a-complete-guide/

"As Chinese manufacturers maintain a minimum amount of materials and components, purchases must be made from the subcontractors – which in turn may need to start production on their end. This is why manufacturers in most industries hesitate to set a production time shorter than 30 days. Then again, the production time varies greatly depending on the industry, and the volume ordered. However, in most cases, the production time is set somewhere between 30 to 60 days."

Production can also mean different things, including "not transported":

"

Depending on the arrival timing, the cargo can usually be loaded on the next container vessel within 2 to 4 days. Obviously, the transit time varies entirely depending on location. Below follows an overview for a a few routes:

• Shenzhen – London: 29 days
  • Shenzhen – Hamburg: 30 days
  • Shenzhen – Los Angeles: 19 days
  • Shenzhen – New York: 33 days"

There is also this helpful table at the end:

Tooling Production 0 – 60 days
General Production Time 30 – 60 days
QC & Compliance Testing
Quality Inspection: 3 – 5 days
Compliance Testing: 7 – 20 days
Shipping
Inland transportation (China): 1 – 3 days
Transit time (Sea): 7 – 33 days
Transit time (Air): 4 – 10 days
Inland transportation (Local): 1 – 2 days
Total 46 – 180 days

Presumably the tooling might be already done, due to the fact that a) they might have been smart enough to plan for this earlier (ok, asking a lot here) and b) its probably such a simple design that existing tools might be fine as it is.

This might be quicker with slave/prison labour which is currently rampant in China and might also save Atari money, but even so you're probably still looking at two months even after final design is approved before it reaches the Americas and Europe.

Thais has been brought up multiple times before, but it bears yet another mention:

Chinese New Year. Every year at this time every factory in China shuts down for a month, and absolutely nothing is being worked on or produced over this time.

https://insight-quality.com/chinese-new-year-factory-shutdown-2020/

If they are still 'finalizing manufacturing details' in China it is pretty much a given that nothing production-wise is going to happen now for 4 to 6 weeks.

As you pointed out, this is also before the potentially lengthy shipping time from China.

Even if the VCS II is basically ready to go into production right now, it will still be months before any backer would receive one.

It is impressive to see their demo/prototype unit actually showing some functionality; but they are still a long way yet from having a finished product I think. I just wonder when they are going to bite the bullet and announce yet another delay?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lodmot said:

The motion makes me feel i'll, but I'm more sensitive than others.