IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

1 hour ago, Mikebloke said:

"While the VCS team continues to finalize manufacturing details at the factory, our confidence and enthusiasm coming out of CES was meaningful and significant, thanks to the positive feedback from everyone who demoed the Atari VCS there. We look forward to the day backers and customers will finally have units in their hands."

Holy shit. Every time I start to think the bar for corporate weasel nothingspeak can't possibly be lowered any further...

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, racerx said:

Holy shit. Every time I start to think the bar for corporate weasel nothingspeak can't possibly be lowered any further...

I put that into Google Translate and converted it to French and back to English again. Can you spot the differences?

As the VCS team continues to finalize manufacturing details at the factory, our confidence and enthusiasm on the part of CES has been significant and significant, thanks to the positive comments from all those who demonstrated the Atari VCS. We look forward to the day when donors and clients finally have units in their hands.

I'm not gonna touch "units in their hands." smh

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

After reading many places on the interwebs i was getting conflicting results. Nov last year i had to install a new HDD on my Win7 laptop as it gave up the ghost and installed the unactivated version of win10 via USB from Microsofts website. I haven't tried to ring them to see if they will let me use the win7 key to activate it. I was under the assumption from what i read they wont allow old win7 keys to be used anymore. Maybe im wrong and should give it a go

Also did the same with my desktop while was at it, so would be interesting to see if they would reactivate both keys lol

Yeah, they still work. Did it myself last year when I built my new PC. They said there was a time limit but it seems they changed their mind - Windows 7 and Windows 8 keys still work. 

I wrote a bunch of other stuff but it got deleted when I changed pages. Guess it didn't save. The TL;DR is that Windows licenses are a mess these days. 

They're meant to be tied to your Microsoft account, and so you can reactivate using the same account multiple times without ringing Microsoft... or something like that. Gives you a headache just trying to figure it out. 

4 hours ago, Lodmot said:

True, we don't know how hot it's runnning. I just don't want to assume anything though until I can see it in front of me. That's screwed me over before. xD

I agree, and that's why I'm assuming they've made about as much progress as they have for the rest of the 2 1/2 years they've been stringing people along. ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TankedThomas said:

I agree, and that's why I'm assuming they've made about as much progress as they have for the rest of the 2 1/2 years they've been stringing people along. ?

Yeah, I understand. > u <

I have a weird gut feeling that the new footage is legit, but I'll be the first to point out that it's only just a feeling-- not actual evidence. :P

The person in charge of answering questions at "Atari's" crowdfunding campaign is ON FIRE with the "not my problem" posts today!!

164828569_ScreenShot2020-01-17at3_23_46PM.thumb.png.08b477c0c56ac30039e77b064777d155.png

This one is about the so-called "Easter Egg," the only place where the uninvited CES attendee could see (but not touch) something Atari-related at the exhibition. "Atari" made a big deal of their special "hot rod" system with 32GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, but Kingston's placard said 4GB RAM and 16GB eMMC. 

2066362036_ScreenShot2020-01-17at3_22_07PM.thumb.png.e8e2589d32a53092ebe021a77acc9efa.png

ENs6Ox4W4AE_gfb.thumb.jpeg.b5dca4c647f903b90b2a8d2bd1e0042c.jpeg

Not to worry, Atari fans! Everything is great! And this paragraph doesn't sound defensive or weasely at all!

Overall, CES was a great success for the Atari VCS team. Away from the actual show floor, Atari (like many companies) elected to take advantage of the very popular CES Venetian Tower Hospitality Suites. While the number of press meetings were limited in Atari’s suite this time around, there was no limitation on who was seeing and interacting with the Atari VCS pre-production units placed in our partners’ suites and the feedback was consistently positive from our contacts.

"There was no limitation on who was seeing and interacting with the Atari VCS pre-production units ..." except for the PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH signs and the fact that it wasn't plugged into anything, of course. What kind of "interaction" did the in-person passers-by enjoy that we schlubs on the couch couldn't get from looking at that same (supposedly mislabeled) photograph?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Atari VCS at the CES is like a remake of the Colceco Chameleon Toy Fair fiasco.

"It was a day before I was travelling to American International Toy Fair in New York that [Mysterious Mr. Lee] came over to my house with the Toy Fair Prototype, with his instructions to NOT SHOW the back of the unit no matter what. But without any specific information as to why I shouldn't show it ... I believed him and went to the show with that unit."

It is like that old movie Gremlins
Rule #1 "NEVER FEED THEM TACOS AFTER MIDNIGHT!"
Rule #2 DON'T SHOW ANYONE THE BACK OF THE COLECO CHAMELEON PROTOTYPE!
Rule #3 DON'T LET ANYONE TOUCH THE ATARI VCS!
or something like that. Whoever wrote that PC Mag. article is questionable, the word "Shill" comes to mind.
the desperation to find any reason for the VCS to exist is astounding, take this piece of gold nugget from the article;

"Atari-built user interface designed for easily accessing games on the couch"
Oh thanks Atari, I am able to change games while sitting down instead of having to go over to the console and press RESET, because I know the pain of having to get off my arse to change the channel on the 'ol Pictrola tube.

Imagine going in to buy a Tesla having the guy demo that the car will drive itself to the door in a parking lot, then going over the street to the used Atari car dealership listening to a sales pitch about having wipers with 3 settings! Luxury, such high tech! and then he tells you it costs MORE than the Tesla!

Chinese New Year starts in 7 days and lasts until February 8th, so we know there will be no productin whatsoever, cutting it close eh? Atari.
Or maybe the Atari crew is going to spend the 2 weeks in China working on the "Final Touches" it is after all the year of the RAT, they will blend in quite well I suppose.

(Allegedly)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I really feel strange when people probably (and allegedly) older than me call movies from the 80s 'old'... ^^

Sorry chief, 36 years ago is "old."

In 1984, when Gremlins was new, you would have called anything from 1946 (36 years prior) "old."

Including the book "1984" which was written two years later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

What kind of "interaction" did the in-person passers-by enjoy that we schlubs on the couch couldn't get from looking at that same (supposedly mislabeled) photograph?

Maybe it has a fresh pine scent that you can't get from the photo.

Who am I trying to kid? If the VCS smells like anything, it smells like a mix of burnt plastic and failure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

In honor of Asteroid and Yar's Revenge, here is my top twenty games Nutari should consider:

Ace of Ace
Air Raider
BattleWheel
Big Birds' Egg Catch
Brain Game
Bug
California Game
Cathouse Blue
Cosmic Creep
Dark Chamber
Demon to Diamond
Frog and Fly
Fun With Number
Lemming
Mario Bro.
Pig in Space
Planet of the Ape
Save the Whale
Video Checker
Warlord

Licensing might be an issue for some titles, not sure what they own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8