IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

7 hours ago, Agillig said:

Well, maybe simply buying a new PC would be a better option for you.  I don't know if Steam works on Linux,  but if you need to pay for Windows, that's an extra cost, to say nothing of the hard drive you'll have to buy.  This really doesn't seem that cost effective, especially for the performance, and just plain hassle that comes with it. 

Steam works on Linux but not every game is compatible with Linux. Remember the Tempest 4K issue? It's on Steam but only for Windows.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have to chime in and say that for many people, a PC today is not required to do most tasks. I could not imagine living without a desktop, but with all the options like iPad, you can do everything, just get a BT keyboard and a wireless printer and that is it. I would even go as far to say for people who are not tech comfortable or elder people an iPad is more safe and much much muuuuch better. Windows 10 adds cortana but man is it creepy, I have never had to disable so many options just to get my privacy from a fresh install. Heck and if you cannot affoard to buy a new computer, get one from someone who is throwing it out, the Desktop I am using now was on the street on garbage day, I picked it up, mainly because I saw it had a Blu-ray drive but it had everything inside, just had to fix the video card fan. I have not paid for Microsoft office for many many years, I use the free Open Office and it works just fine.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Sorry chief, 36 years ago is "old."

In 1984, when Gremlins was new, you would have called anything from 1946 (36 years prior) "old."

Including the book "1984" which was written two years later. 

Let's just keep in mind that if they remade Back to the Future today, young Marty would go back all the way back to to 1990… 

Law and order theme plays.

Marty McFly : Hey… Hey...  I've seen this one. I've seen this one. This is a classic. This is one of the few episodes where the trial preceded the investigation.

Milton Baines :  What do you mean you've seen this, it's brand new.

Marty McFly : Yeah, well, I saw it on 

[realizing] 

Marty McFly : ... Hulu.

Milton Baines : What's Hulu?

Marty McFly : You'll find out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

I still just don't see the market for this other than a tiny handful of superfans like Lucas that will apparently buy anything with the right logo. If you've been waiting your whole life for an Atari-branded Steambox, congratulations...your ship has apparently come in. The rest of the adult world will still need a convincing reason to buy it.

I'm a fan of an old company called "Atari"  because once upon a time, they were a fun, pioneering company that developed products we'd never seen before. I couldn't care less that a group of grave robbers snapped up the name and are still trying to squeeze money out of those same games 35-45 years later.

If they were still making amazing games I'd probably still be a fan, but I promise you...no 8-year-old is gonna be excited to find a new VCS under the Christmas tree, and in 35 years, not a single soul is going to be reminiscing fondly over Asteroids: Outpost.

• Like 10

Hey, I just checked the original shill pitch video from yar's back, I mean years back. They managed to get Asteroids title correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStkGeUmR_0

Anyhoo I wonder if the "ON" voice feature is still intact. Atari...ON

Perhaps Atari needs some game that will garner them free publicity, like Night Trap did for Sega, also I like campy 80's theme songs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, racerx said:

I still just don't see the market for this other than a tiny handful of superfans like Lucas that will apparently buy anything with the right logo. If you've been waiting your whole life for an Atari-branded Steambox, congratulations...your ship has apparently come in. The rest of the adult world will still need a convincing reason to buy it.

I'm a fan of an old company called "Atari"  because once upon a time, they were a fun, pioneering company that developed products we'd never seen before. I couldn't care less that a group of grave robbers snapped up the name and are still trying to squeeze money out of those same games 35-45 years later.

If they were still making amazing games I'd probably still be a fan, but I promise you...no 8-year-old is gonna be excited to find a new VCS under the Christmas tree, and in 35 years, not a single soul is going to be reminiscing fondly over Asteroids: Outpost.

I would be way more forgiving of this if it hadn't been a complete shit show. In fact if you go back to the beginnings of the taco thread and look i was intrigued by it.

Lucas and Lodmot will both probably enjoy it for what it is or what it finally turns out to be. Did they ever solve the crisis of if it is a console, unconsole, or PC?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to make a point: does anyone seriously think Atari's efforts to ship the 'Box in ANY way constitute an attempt to make a viable game platform?  Is there anyone generous enough think they AREN'T just trying to accomplish the minimum required to not get sued?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, godslabrat said:

Just to make a point: does anyone seriously think Atari's efforts to ship the 'Box in ANY way constitute an attempt to make a viable game platform?  Is there anyone generous enough think they AREN'T just trying to accomplish the minimum required to not get sued?

I think they could not deliver and not get sued. Great thing about how they went about it. Claim money is out ship everyone a tshirt or FB10 and call it a day.

9 hours ago, Agillig said:

Well, maybe simply buying a new PC would be a better option for you.  I don't know if Steam works on Linux,  but if you need to pay for Windows, that's an extra cost, to say nothing of the hard drive you'll have to buy.  This really doesn't seem that cost effective, especially for the performance, and just plain hassle that comes with it. 

I already have hard drives, a keyboard, mouse, etc, so im not going to incur any extra costs with those.  I'd need to use windows to access my entire steam library, so linux isn't an option for me.  If i built a new PC, there's no magical free windows that comes with building a new PC, so paying for windows is unavoidable, unless I pirate it, which I'm not going to do (unless you are asking for my paypal address to send me some cash, haha).  So thanks for the suggestions, but i know what technology choices are best for me.

3 hours ago, racerx said:

Yes, I did.But most of the civilized world already has a PC.

You got me, I'm still flinging shit and throwing rocks at the moon.

3 hours ago, racerx said:

How does the final form of the VCS help anyone "Game, Stream, and Connect Like Never Before?" It's literally a low/mid spec PC. I can already run Linux, I already have Windows, I already have Atari Vault, I've been playing T4K for a year, and even Antstream is available on other devices.

You're saying Atari's triumphant return, their key to the marketplace, the thing that will send people lining up at Walmart and GameStop to preorder, is a PC for people that don't have a PC?

I never said anything like that.  I said that it looks like a cool machine and it's going to be a good fit for me.  Thats why I backed it.

See where i use the word "I"? 

I'm talking about for me, no one else.  This isnt a good product for everyone.  But then again i don't give other people advice on how they should spend their money.

Don't like the VCS?  Awesome!   Dont buy one.  The end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racerx said:

Im hardly a superfan, but way to go on making wild assumptions about someone you dont know.  I just like the look, it fits well in my living room.

I get it, you are one of many defenders of the "old Atari".  You're super upset that some French bastard came and stole your beloved nostalgia and attacking the people who are looking forward to a piece of technology.  They must be attacked repeatedly in order to keep your honor!

Or some bullshit like that.

After I'm playing with my VCS, please let me know how much its going to hurt your feelings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LoonyLucas said:

Don't like the VCS?  Awesome!   Dont buy one.

I think you'll find that we generally haven't.

I think you'll also find that we haven't ever told anyone what to do with their own money. I spend money on all kinds of dumb shit. The N-Gage was a good fit for some people. The WonderSwan was a good fit for some people. Yes, the VCS will probably be a good fit for some people. But for every one of you, there's a hapless schlub like Phelan or Christopher Wilson who's going to get dicked, hard, by this product.

What we have done, is ask pointed questions of both Atari and its backers about the device, its viability in the market, its target audience, and the potential of its continued support. Atari has generally ignored them and banned the ones asking them (I was banned from their "official" subreddit for simply quoting their infamous "summer has just started!" nonsense, and that was after they had mod privileges revoked for censoring the main VCS sub) and backers (not that I'll name names here) have generally had LEAVE ME ALONE HATER-TROLL! meltdowns.

We poke fun at the VCS's development..."Hey @ataribox this looks super awesome, can't wait to play!"...Atari delays the December 14, 2017 preorder "to create the platform and ecosystem the Atari community deserves"..."What's your Pong high score?"..."Asteroid"... "What happens if we plug this into our laptop, we ask Mike. I don't know, he says. Will it work? I don't know. If we plug it into a different games machine, will it work? No. So it's custom hardware and software? I don't know about that."

How can you not have fun when the Keystone Cops of the videogame world are providing the entertainment? With all due respect, we nostalgic old farts aren't the ones having the hissy fits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

37 minutes ago, racerx said:

With all due respect, we nostalgic old farts aren't the ones having the hissy fits.

Not from where I'm standing.

But i didnt come here to argue.  I came here to fling shit and throw rocks at the moon.

Edited by LoonyLucas
Spelling error

1 hour ago, LoonyLucas said:

Im hardly a superfan, but way to go on making wild assumptions about someone you dont know.  I just like the look, it fits well in my living room.

I get it, you are one of many defenders of the "old Atari".  You're super upset that some French bastard came and stole your beloved nostalgia and attacking the people who are looking forward to a piece of technology.  They must be attacked repeatedly in order to keep your honor!

Or some bullshit like that.

After I'm playing with my VCS, please let me know how much its going to hurt your feelings.  

:complains about wild assumptions, then proceeds to make wild assumptions about xenophobia.

If you can put aside your preconceived notions, you'll see it's not Fred's nationality that bothers us, but his complete lack of ethics.   Your brand loyalty has blinded you to the fact he's jerking you guys around.  To some extent, you guys already know this, which is why dissent is either shouted down or banned from your group.

You getting a console you enjoy isn't going to hurt anyone's feelings, the smug, pompous attitude of certain backers like yourself is the real show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Agillig said:

:complains about wild assumptions, then proceeds to make wild assumptions about xenophobia.

I've seen plenty of people mention Fred's nationality and put it down.  It was wrong for me to say that stems from anyone in this group, but its definitely something ive seen posted in other groups.

If you can put aside your preconceived notions, you'll see it's not Fred's nationality that bothers us, but his complete lack of ethics.   Your brand loyalty has blinded you to the fact he's jerking you guys around.  To some extent, you guys already know this, which is why dissent is either shouted down or banned from your group.

I don't run that group.  I can't control how the mods run their FB group.  I'm just a member.

You getting a console you enjoy isn't going to hurt anyone's feelings, the smug, pompous attitude of certain backers like yourself is the real show.

Your perception of my attitude is your opinion and that's none of my business.  People trying to say how I should spend my money are the ones with the smug and pompous attitude, imo.

23 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I tell my kids 'I wouldn't push your buttons if they weren't so big.'.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

Not from where I'm standing.

But i didnt come here to argue.  I came here to fling shit and throw rocks at the moon.

And to eat tacos or share good taco recipes or good hot sauces. That is also why one should come here.

• Like 6