IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

VCS has nothing. Where are those Stadia numbers from, is that just from a single source, like Google Play on Android? That seems very low for such a high-profile service, especially if you can try it for free and use multiple kinds of software clients. The real metric is subscribers, especially those that stick with it. If they were impressive, surely they'd be bragging about it. 

I want to hear more from "Atari" how cloud gaming being hardware agnostic somehow "validates their approach." ????

Keep in mind, though this may have changed in the last month or so, at launch, Stadia was very limited. You had to use Chrome (bit Chromium or a spin-off, as far as I'm aware), Android devices had to be Google Pixel phones, and I don't believe Android TV worked either. 

There was also only one way to get proper 4K, which I THINK was with the Chromecast but I'm not sure. 

And then you had to buy the games or pay a subscription, so the "free" part was irrelevant. See below about Destiny 2. 

5 hours ago, frankodragon said:

You probably could order some from Wisconsin.

I doubt they'd ship internationally though. 

I need to go to more farmers markets - they tend to have the good stuff. A lot of our cheeses in New Zealand aren't really the real deal, for better or worse (maybe better for me, since I'm a picky eater). 

40 minutes ago, Agamon said:

550k? If MS, Sony, or Nintendo had a first month like that, people would be fired the next month, and their gaming divisions would be a distant memory in 6 months...

And this is telling...Destiny 2 is the one free game on Stadia.

Annotation 2020-01-21 134249.png

Keep in mind, Destiny 2 is free on every platform now, except unlike on Stadia, PS4/XBO/PC have the latest patch and content always available immediately and aren't lacking in features. 

I don't even like Destiny but if you're going to play Destiny 2, there are several better options than Stadia. 

What I want to know is why Google thought this was a good idea in the first place. 

Unless they actually believed that "negative latency" was a real thing, this was doomed to fail from the beginning. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

Microsoft should buy Sega just to release the X-Box under the Sega brand in Japan.

If they brought back the great Sega franchises and brought Camelot on board to make a real Shining game, I'd be thrilled.  When it comes to software, Sega is an absolute garbage factory. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Sure looks like those cables are just tucked into or under the case instead of being actually plugged into the board.

1726150920_ScreenShot2020-01-21at8_02_56PM.thumb.png.4e873bb5aee2a2d047b5ff17e0f2781a.png

With that usb drive plugged in, doesn’t that mean it’s running the UI on another OS and not the native Atari OS?

21 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

With that usb drive plugged in, doesn’t that mean it’s running the UI on another OS and not native Atari OS?

That's the area where they were doing Windows demos.  But if they stuck another computer board in there for the demo, then the USB drives might just be for show.

And it's now been over a week since they've been avoiding my question about the demo's computer board on Reddit. 

In their last Medium update, at the beginning they said Many of you have asked questions about exactly what was shared in meetings with partners, press, and retailers, but then they still used vague language and didn't answer my question there either.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

That's the area where they were doing Windows demos.  But if they stuck another computer board in there for the demo, then the USB drives might just be for show.

And it's now been over a week since they've been avoiding my question about the demo's computer board on Reddit. 

In their last Medium update, at the beginning they said Many of you have asked questions about exactly what was shared in meetings with partners, press, and retailers, but then they still used vague language and didn't answer my question there either.

Based on some of their past interviews, it's pretty likely the social media intern doesn't know.   They're recycling posts again on Facebook.   I don't think the person making the posts gets paid to do anything other than "generate buzz" by making posts.

• Like 4

There's a new press release by the way, but I can't find the English version this time: http://news.calyptus.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/CP-2020-01-22-Atari-VCS.pdf

According to them, they've shown a lot of things at CES. I guess it was a different CES, then.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

Kind of fishy that they don’t show him navigating the store?

They ran stock AtariVault footage over the most interesting part: Artz having trouble navigating the UI.

He says they are on track for shipping in March, which means they misled with the whole "Weeks, not months" thing.  Not that it matters at all since supporters just want to get something. He also says there are 31 days in March, so we can throw out the first 30 days.

The Windows activation watermark can be seen on the Borderlands gameplay.  That's not proof of anything, but to me it indicates they are at least not running it on a Windows laptop.  

Probably filmed in two locations: Kingston booth and Atari meeting room (or PowerA hospitality suite).

+1000 Internet points for ignoring the "Do not touch" signs and playing with the joystick. Well done, sir!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

There's a new press release by the way, but I can't find the English version this time: http://news.calyptus.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/CP-2020-01-22-Atari-VCS.pdf

According to them, they've shown a lot of things at CES. I guess it was a different CES, then.

what you must remember :

[cite]The Atari VCS presents itself as an openly innovative entertainment system.

The Atari VCS, on the other hand, offers a smaller, more elegant and more powerful design than those of compact PCs, offered at prices higher than that of the Atari VCS.[/cite]

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Agillig said:

Based on some of their past interviews, it's pretty likely the social media intern doesn't know.   They're recycling posts again on Facebook.   I don't think the person making the posts gets paid to do anything other than "generate buzz" by making posts.

They've answered very specific questions about the setup, like somebody asked what the cable was coming out to the cabinet on Indiegogo and they responded that it was the power cord plugged into a power strip inside the cabinet.  Then they stopped responding when I asked my question.

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Haha 5

The problem I saw with Stadia, aside from the technical ones, was the messaging from Google that "Games are going to go streaming, just like movies and music did.  It's true because we say so, and we need to be in charge of it, just because."  They appeared absolutely clueless that the product could be anything other than a massive success.  It wasn't an experiment, they were google and their dominance was foreseen by prophecy.  

When I see that level of disconnect from reality, I have to question the whole company's competence, no matter how big they might be.

The scale was completely different, but the same mechanic was in play with Ataribox.  Atari was pushing ahead, despite glaringly obvious problems and no clear market (which they admitted as much themselves). Atari will fail even harder.

• Like 5

Google is an enormous juggernaut ... but it's not as though they put the full weight of the company behind Stadia. Do we know how much of a priority it really is, what their internal budget was, and if they'll stick with it over the long term? The Google Graveyard has more good stuff in failure than podunk "Atari" can hope to achieve even with wild success. 

Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo have made it look easy, plowing enormous resources into success, and in Microsoft's case, taking losses for many years before turning a profit. We've seen that sort of dedication from Google (and Amazon, and Apple), but never for games. 

To say that "Atari" is half-assing this would be rounding up generously. I'd estimate their effort at 1/1000000th of an ass. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5