IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

4 hours ago, Tavi said:

Howling 'FE is a scam! FE is a scam!' over and over in forum because you do not like it is not expressing or discussing a viewpoint, and mods finally telling you to dial the rage back is also not censorship.

It is censorship, but they are within their rights to do it. 

3 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

Thank you.  That's exactly how I see it, too.  We've said several times that well-intentioned, reasoned, fair questions are welcomed and encouraged

Sorry calling you out on this one. About 50% this thread is people howling 'AtariBox is a scam! AtariBox is a scam!', especially early on.

And I endured a hell of a lot more trash talking and abuse on this forum than Tommy ever has, so I ask you... Why two different standards? Why were my abusers allowed to stay and have their posts remain? 

I don't care what rules you have, just enforce them equally… 

Edited by The Historian
More words
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Sorry calling you out on this one. About 50% this thread is people howling 'AtariBox is a scam! AtariBox is a scam!', especially early on.

And I endured a hell of a lot more trash talking and abuse on this forum than Tommy ever has, so I ask you... Why two different standards? Why were my abusers allowed to stay and have their posts remain? 

I don't care what rules you have, just enforce them equally… 

EFC50E17-4767-4AE4-AA93-C3A52D404212.jpeg.06bdc29cd0709029fc25e8965926751c.jpeg.f2e23878d9ad709384c1f9678b2cf73f.jpeg

And I want to say thank you to @The Historian for sticking around and through that. Poor guy even got it from the supporters. I think we owe you some tacos.

You were doing a much better job than anyone who tried after you that's for sure.

Edited by MrBeefy
Words hard...
  • Like 12

23 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Sorry calling you out on this one.

Yeah, I'm kinda getting used to that today.

23 minutes ago, The Historian said:

First of all, there are not "two different standards."  There are only a handful of us moderators, we're kept pretty busy as it is, and we can't be everywhere at once, especially in a fast-moving thread like this one.  If someone feels that they're being put upon or treated unfairly, they should report the posts in question so that we can be made aware of it; that's what the "Report" button is for.  We all enforce the rules as fairly and as consistently as we can, when we're made aware that infractions are happening.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

Yeah, I'm kinda getting used to that today.

First of all, there are not "two different standards."  There are only a handful of us moderators, we're kept pretty busy as it is, and we can't be everywhere at once, especially in a fast-moving thread like this one.  If someone feels that they're being put upon or treated unfairly, they should report the posts in question so that we can be made aware of it; that's what the "Report" button is for.  We all enforce the rules as fairly and as consistently as we can, when we're made aware that infractions are happening.

Cool, so will you be warning or banning Tommy for personally attacking people who shared differing opinions about his commercial product?  Was his post calling a long-time forum member a "snowflake" deleted?  Did you delete his posts with R-rated images from various violent or sexually explicit games?  I mean I'm really curious what specific rules you are claiming the people who were banned from the Tommy thread violated.  I've gone through the list multiple times and I don't see any rule that was violated.  Tommy and his followers on the other hand seem more than happy to hurl personal attacks and insults and to trash competing products like the Switch or the VCS or various others with impunity.  I don't believe that Tommy has bought anyone off, but I do believe that there is a bit of a double standard here, perhaps because of his celebrity.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Heheh. It does kinda beg the question who is "reporting" the offending posts, and why. I know I've been a hell of a lot meaner to Atari in this thread than I ever was to Tommy, where I got my only thread-ban after thousands of posts and almost 18 years of visits. :ponder:

I’m sure if they see a report by Tommy that takes priority I their moderating. :ponder:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Swami said:

I know of two whole commercial sections in the ColecoVision forum and one other in the Intellivision forum that starts and ends with an E that are there for commercial purposes and don't take to people repetitiously tearing apart one of their products. It also doesn't go over well in the 7800 forum. I think most people have a view to not bite the game providers who feed us. I really don't understand people trying to bully Tommy into revealing all kinds of protected patent information before he's ready. It's been pretty well established that this thing is well beyond where Coleco and Atari have ever gotten so it seems like an inflated sense of entitlement to want all the inside information you don't get from other commercial companies. 

"Game providers that feed us"?  What is that supposed to mean?  This is a private forum for classic video game fans supported by voluntary subscriptions, not a commercial website.  Nobody is bullying Tommy into revealing anything.  He came here of his own volition to share information and generate hype for his product.  He is literally three days away from taking money from people before the hardware is finalized, before he has final pricing and before he has even placed manufacturing orders.  

While I agree that his communication has been more voluminous and detailed than Chameleon or Atari VCS box, I don't agree that he is well beyond those other products.  So far all he has are some trailers, a list of potential developers, a demo that lasts mere seconds that isn't even running on the hardware, some renders and maybe a prototype that a small number of people have seen.  There are literally hundreds of tiny companies at CES that have the exact same thing.  The brilliance and tragedy of the tech industry in countries like China is that anyone with an idea and some cash can have their own product prototype engineered and manufactured.  

What I haven't seen is any proof that he has funding or the ability to take a four person company and scale to manage a manufacturing process that is going to require significant expertise and millions of dollars to get right.  I imagine the first question potential investors must be asking is how a tiny company whose only asset is 30 year old software IP led by a talented musician with minimal business experience is going to make a mass-market consumer product happen.  As enthusiastic and sincere as I think Tommy is, he certainly doesn't have the kind of resume most tech investors would embrace.

The other thing I haven't seen is any proof that his purported target market really exists or that it isn't being fully served by every other electronic gaming device out there including mobile phones and tablets that most people already own.  I don't feel entitled to anything, but if you come to a forum where I have participated for years and make startling claims that sound too good to be true, you better bet that I'm going to ask some questions.  That goes double if you intend to starting taking $100 deposits.    

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, bojay1997 said:

"Game providers that feed us"?  What is that supposed to mean?  This is a private forum for classic video game fans supported by voluntary subscriptions, not a commercial website.  Nobody is bullying Tommy into revealing anything.  He came here of his own volition to share information and generate hype for his product.  He is literally three days away from taking money from people before the hardware is finalized, before he has final pricing and before he has even placed manufacturing orders.  

While I agree that his communication has been more voluminous and detailed than Chameleon or Atari VCS box, I don't agree that he is well beyond those other products.  So far all he has are some trailers, a list of potential developers, a demo that lasts mere seconds that isn't even running on the hardware, some renders and maybe a prototype that a small number of people have seen.  There are literally hundreds of tiny companies at CES that have the exact same thing.  The brilliance and tragedy of the tech industry in countries like China is that anyone with an idea and some cash can have their own product prototype engineered and manufactured.  

What I haven't seen is any proof that he has funding or the ability to take a four person company and scale to manage a manufacturing process that is going to require significant expertise and millions of dollars to get right.  I imagine the first question potential investors must be asking is how a tiny company whose only asset is 30 year old software IP led by a talented musician with minimal business experience is going to make a mass-market consumer product happen.  As enthusiastic and sincere as I think Tommy is, he certainly doesn't have the kind of resume most tech investors would embrace.

The other thing I haven't seen is any proof that his purported target market really exists or that it isn't being fully served by every other electronic gaming device out there including mobile phones and tablets that most people already own.  I don't feel entitled to anything, but if you come to a forum where I have participated for years and make startling claims that sound too good to be true, you better bet that I'm going to ask some questions.  That goes double if you intend to starting taking $100 deposits.    

People here blow $100's of bucks on crappy stuff all the time. Like you buy every console there ever was and many of them are crap. At least maybe they'll get some nice collectible for their $100.

• Haha 1

Sure, but let's not pretend that everyone "cornering the market on retro games" or otherwise exploiting nostalgia is doing it from the goodness of their hearts. It's not biting the hand that feeds to be a skeptical consumer. Electronic gaming is not religion, it can be questioned, it need not be blindly followed. 

Besides, people like a little salty sarcasm. The length and popularity of this $h!tp0st thread is proof of that. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Swami said:

People here blow $100's of bucks on crappy stuff all the time. Like you buy every console there ever was and many of them are crap. At least maybe they'll get some nice collectible for their $100.

Hi @Swami!  Just wanted to let you know you're in the "New Atari Console that Ataribox?" thread! 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Hi @Swami!  Just wanted to let you know you're in the "New Atari Console that Ataribox?" thread! 

How dare anyone imply that the VCS is crap! It is the next godsend to gaming...er PCing....er to connecting....er...surfing for taco recipes.

• Haha 4