IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Wow, this thread is enormous. I hope the new VCS plays old VCS games in full 1080p/4k. Because RGB modding a heavy sixer costs about the same. It will then make it an easy investment. Ofcourse it would have to play them natively. Otherwise it’s just an overpriced emulation box and the money would be better spent on a raspberry pi 4.

My main problem with the Retron 77 is the load time, and emulation. So just buy one of those instead I guess. Atleast it uses real cartridges as well.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, godslabrat said:

No, there isn't.  But Atari long ago stopped caring of there was a market for their brand, they just cash license checks.

Yep. That sweet, sweet $600k was non-refundable.

Whether these hotels sink or swim matters not one bit to "Atari."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, adamchevy said:

Wow, this thread is enormous. I hope the new VCS plays old VCS games in full 1080p/4k. Because RGB modding a heavy sixer costs about the same. It will then make it an easy investment. Ofcourse it would have to play them natively. Otherwise it’s just an overpriced emulation box and the money would be better spent on a raspberry pi 4.

My main problem with the Retron 77 is the load time, and emulation. So just buy one of those instead I guess. Atleast it uses real cartridges as well.

The 2600 maxes out at 240p. RGB or HDMI will not do anything to improve it past that, if you where not already aware of that. Composite and Svideo are as slick as the 2600 video output is gonna get.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Shawn said:

The 2600 maxes out at 240p. RGB or HDMI will not do anything to improve it past that, if you where not already aware of that.

For me the ideal modernized emulation system would be one that has perfect CRT simulation capable of running at 4K, which could look really nice if done well.  CRTs are getting harder to acquire and maintain. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

Atari isn't saying that number, CPU is pulling that potential sales number out of his ass.

Correct, and I am not promising anything, but I got pinged.

EDIT: They are well aware of the talent here. I have no ball in the game, I like to spend spare time, messing with hardware.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

EDIT: They are well aware of the talent here. I have no ball in the game, I like to spend spare time, messing with hardware.

Whomever takes this on would be wise to get an up-front payment for any work.

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I like to spend my spare time messing with my hardware as well.   But only when the wifes away.   ......... What?  You dirty bastards! ?  Pfft!

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, godslabrat said:

I can only assume the license was cheap and the hotel chain was completely stupid.  

I could see this working as a two-day-only publicity stunt, like the Taco Bell Hotel,  but as a sustainable business it's a terrible plan.

There's a Taco Bell Hotel. Man... imagine being someone that has to clean the crappers...

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, racerx said:

Yep. That sweet, sweet $600k was non-refundable.

Whether these hotels sink or swim matters not one bit to "Atari."

Though it's relatively cheap as far as licensing deals go, ever since this news broke, I haven't been able to stop thinking about how incompetent this hotel must be to spend that sort of money on the Atari license of all things. 

Heck, I bet the exponentially more extensive Nintendo license would have essentially paid for itself. 

Maybe they'll just rebrand the hotel to "Haunted House" with the gimmick being that there are no lights and so they cut their power bill down drastically, with the caveat that the chef in the restaurant ends up cutting his fingers all the time, so you might want to check what's in your tacos before you take a bite. 

Edited by TankedThomas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, cybercylon said:

There's a Taco Bell Hotel. Man... imagine being someone that has to clean the crappers...

There was... for a weekend.  Essentially, for a couple of nights, a hotel decked itself out in TB-themed decor and served nothing but TB food.  People who love the chain flocked to it for kitsch.  Atari could do the same thing, because there's probably enough people to pack a hotel once.  But that's the extent of the potential here.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 4:25 AM, Lodmot said:

I know you were just fucking around here, but sadly that was actually better-written and easier to comprehend than some of the actual updates Atari puts out on medium.com. LOL. Most of the time when they post an update, the first and only thing I jump straight to is any new pictures/videos they put up.

Also, this guy below is classic. Some people on the IGG Comments section should really hang out with us here:

Screenshot_20200125-061348~2.png

To whom it may concern,

An open letter to Ronald E. Searfoss Jr.,

Your presence Sir is requested, Nay Required;

At an establishment of great Import and with whom you share many views.  Let us assure you we are of one mind on many subjects and our organization would welcome you with open arms.  You will have VIP Access to all events, a free subscription to the newsletter, and will likely be treated as one of our own in this most elite and secret society....You will want to start by opening the door to a hidden room off of a secret hallway,  after you gain access to the secret passageway by pulling on the book marked "Belle Epoch of the Mt. Fuji" in the library.   An interesting man will ask you for the password (to the event, not the house)...And I want you to tell him " https://atariage/forums/topic/266480-new-atari-console-that-ataribox/page/1054/#comments "

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I forgot this could be confusing (as I've said so many times before)...I indeed meant original games for this system...

Probably.

But with 1054 pages, it's easy for not taking all notes what people would and ask the same thing again.

Here a game you don't feel it came from 1980s.

minimum.thumb.png.7f0e85d0f60bdfa7a2856170b30057fe.png

Minimum.

And you won't find it on Amico. They are afraid to get lost in 3d worlds.

No tacos for you, Tommy.

Geez. This thread brings more entertainments than we have on television.

Edited by Serguei2
Added nice touch. :)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

it's behind a paywall. Can you summarize? Do they name the dollar amounts that the license holders are receiving? Nice work if you can get it. 

I can't see it either, although I doubt there's much real information other than that ridiculous rendering.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

@Paul Slocum it's behind a paywall. Can you summarize? Do they name the dollar amounts that the license holders are receiving? Nice work if you can get it. 

Via the Ataribox Support Group:

1489251708_atarihotel.thumb.png.0a79ac8edee2adf6752af3055a28e796.png

Not a lot of information. First one will be in Phoenix. Atari gets $600K up front and 5% of the revenue.

Most of the article is the obligatory Brief History of Atari and plugs for the VCS.

• Thanks 8

53 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Via the Ataribox Support Group:

1489251708_atarihotel.thumb.png.0a79ac8edee2adf6752af3055a28e796.png

Not a lot of information. First one will be in Phoenix. Atari gets $600K up front and 5% of the revenue.

Most of the article is the obligatory Brief History of Atari and plugs for the VCS.

Jesus wept, I wonder how long that took Stefan to copy and write out.

• Like 2