IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I just read the pcmag article as I was curious. I guess this actually proves they were in Las Vegas after all, because believe me nothing I've actually seen to date really did prove it. I'm basing this all on what I regard to be a reputable source, if they said they saw it in Las Vegas I'll believe them. However you dig into the article, and the proof of the matter is, still, that other than see it boot to windows in "sandbox" mode nobody has actually seen it do a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g.

Well done to the backers actually pushing the hard questions, ultimately, Ataris game is to not utilise what they actually have effectively, and to hide others badly. 

1) show a video clearly of it being plugged in and turned on. 

2) show a game, any game, inside the os loading from the menu and not just showing images or promotional videos. 

3) be clearer with the backers on how long you suspect it will take for production to start, and then we can assume a 20+ day increase on that for shipping. 

4) Consider what else you should give to make it more valuable. I wouldn't consider buying it for any more than half the price you are suggesting, it just isn't worth it from buying another console or a dedicated pc. Give stuff away to make it more worthwhile, what we already have on pcs is not enough. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

Consider what else you should give to make it more valuable. I wouldn't consider buying it for any more than half the price you are suggesting, it just isn't worth it from buying another console or a dedicated pc. Give stuff away to make it more worthwhile, what we already have on pcs is not enough. 

If they were to offer a lifetime* subscription to AntStream, that would go a long way towards making this something different, at least for a while, without costing anyone much money. There are few enough VCS buyers that the strain on the AntStream network would be minimal.

Of course, this means putting aside the delusion that many VCS buyers would actually pay $10 a month to stream ZX Spectrum games.

It wouldn't be enough to change my mind, but it would give "Atari" the opportunity to say "A $360 value! Atari VCS pays for itself in just 3 years** of awesome retro gaming!!" Unlike a lot of other stuff they've said (and left unsaid), that would be close to the truth. 

*Lifetime = lifetime of the AntStream service, or support for Atari VCS, not the person who bought it. Either way, I would expect it to be a finite amount of time. 

**AntStream service not guaranteed to stay in business for 3 years. No refunds for unused periods of service, not transferable, some restrictions apply. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

569142431_ScreenShot2020-01-31at1_25_29PM.thumb.png.57792098132a6f54718d264aeecc43ee.png

Oh, I think I just cracked the code. "Unprecedented levels of flexibility and control" means they will release updates whenever they feel like, it, while holding the backers' money. That's not what I thought it meant. 

1548921594_atarit13.jpg.273d81823dec1b5940371b79530cbf24.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Hey you shut yer mouth (or fill it with a taco)... I loved the Jaguar, and still have one

Oh, hey, don't get me wrong.  Jag's my go-to as far as collecting goes.  Love that thing! 

Buuuuuut it doesn't negate my point about its failure being unable to kill nostalgia for the old days.

Oh, and hey!  Check this out!:

https://www.cracked.com/article_27061_atari-making-hotels-now-because-sure-why-not60.html

Edited by OverMuch
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, OverMuch said:

Oh, hey, don't get me wrong.  Jag's my go-to as far as collecting goes.  Love that thing! 

Buuuuuut it doesn't negate my point about its failure being unable to kill nostalgia for the old days.

Oh, and hey!  Check this out!:

https://www.cracked.com/article_27061_atari-making-hotels-now-because-sure-why-not60.html

That is hilarious! It is also a little disturbing a satire magazine article has just asked better questions of Atari then we have had from any other article or interview to date. What did Atari spend the 3M+ indiegogo funding on? Is the Atari Box going to actually make their March deadline? (Spoiler; no, no they are not). Is Atari desperate for cash? Are they going to use that 600K to get the Atari Box into production and over the finish line?

Perhaps this Louis Prada should give the next interview with Atari. It would be nice to have someone asking the questions we all want to know rather then lobbing softballs and coming off sounding like an infomercial for the Atari Box.

Edited by Tavi
Spelling
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, TacoTronics said:

Something BETTER than the Atari thing is coming...   No, not the Amico, that's something else.

This is an entirely NEW system that plays games, streams video, games and more...

Real dates, real release...   More to announce in 2 weeks.

It is a newbie... this will be grand. Great to see they made their own, 'more news in weeks post'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, TacoTronics said:

Something BETTER than the Atari thing is coming...   No, not the Amico, that's something else.

This is an entirely NEW system that plays games, streams video, games and more...

Real dates, real release...   More to announce in 2 weeks.

Please spare us .. no news is good news

• Like 3
  • Haha 8