IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

26 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Yeah, that would be so lucky to get Angry Birds or Clash of Clans.  Instead they get a "Vault" of games that have been released in compilation packages on every generation, and a shoddy streaming service.  Yay.

Or maybe they could look into making these exclusives?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/416530/Tacopocalypse/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/586310/Gunman_Taco_Truck/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 8Bitjunkie said:

did i missed something?!?

image.thumb.png.8c4702c3eb487c41e0defbdec9630b58.png

they had the "available now" button about two months ago already, then they switched it back to preorder, and back again it seems.

Not very honest, but not very surprising either...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

John Phelan is back! And naked.....for some reason ?

Try watching it with the subtitles on. YouTube’s voice to text software tries admirably but frequently spits out hilarious nonsensical translations.

New idea for a drinking game: Do a shot every time he says the word “fook”. You’ll be kissing the floor in no time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, 8Bitjunkie said:

Atari has refunded E.T. and kicked him out of Indiegogo campaign…

i think, his posts were probably too uncomfortable for Atari...

image.thumb.png.66422832bcb8fae38a2e6fdb3e141071.png

E.T. might just be now the one satisfied backer of this project?

It would be interesting to hear if he had been demanding a refund (in which case, good on you for getting it!) or if they forced one one just to get him out of their hair?

I am still waiting for Atari to announce their third delay, which I expect will have a few more howling for their money back.

Just 6 days ago their 'big news' was a limited run of pre-production development test units. Though to be completely fair their accompanying video of the Atari Box actually powering on and functional was an unexpected reveal. I would be absolutely astounded and more then a little concerned if their next announcement (supposedly there will be one today?) was for full production. I would question if anyone has even received their dev kit Atari Box in only six days from China; let alone had a chance to thoroughly test it and put it through its paces prior to greenlighting for production.

• Like 3

Looks like Atari finally noticed that I just contributed the minimum $2 to be able to post on IGG comments as a "backer":

1765505779_ScreenShot2020-02-10at12_16_03PM.png.b7e71c15b9436c15b8f4a0c77de2dc78.png

I felt conflicted about it, but I figured the paperwork to receive the extra $1.60 or whatever would cost Atari more than it's worth.  For the $2 you also get email updates on this ongoing disaster, which is nice.

Still seems pretty lame to just delete all my comments, I did pay 2 bucks.

EDIT: Update, just got the email:

1537685023_ScreenShot2020-02-10at12_35_24PM.thumb.png.d5dc4be0d85cce6e8b2fce4b1a1d69cd.png

Edited by Paul Slocum
  • Haha 18
  • Sad 1

News from the pigeon board:

Atari has a new acquisition/partnership. 

Atari : VCS continues its development and acquires the rights to the Wonder technology for cross-platform gaming

Paris, February 10, 2020– Atari announces that it has entered into an agreement with Wonder, a mobile technology company, that has been developing the mobile gaming platform WonderOS for the past four years.  WonderOS is an Android-based hybrid mobile gaming platform that turns your smartphone into a console experience with a combination of software and accessories, that allow users to play any kind of game, locally or through the cloud, on a mobile device. As part of the agreement, Atari has been granted an exclusive 10-year license for WonderOS and all related technology, in exchange for future royalty payments dependent on the commercial success of the technology. At any time during this period, Atari can obtain the definitive transfer of ownership of the Wonder IP and assets, provided that royalties continue being paid over this 10-year period.

Wonder was founded in 2016 by CEO Andy Kleinman, a former executive of Disney and mobile game companies Scopely and Zynga. Wonder has a diverse roster of media and entertainment industry investors.

Wonder/OS seems to be some kind of middleware for making mobile games, and/or streaming from cloud. From their FAQ question, "Why do I even need Wonder OS?"

We all love to play games on our smartphone and tablet, but let’s be honest: even though there are tons of games, the experience is not great compared to other platforms. Our mission is to play games anywhere and in every way, allowing seamless, cross-platform play for an enhanced overall experience.

Oh, that settles that then. Clear as mud. 

What makes them unique?

Our goal is that every existing gaming platform and service will be available on any device that runs WonderOS. We want to focus on creating the best user experience from the point of view of gamers. Everything we do is is geared towards a more open, collaborative ecosystem that is fully integrated with the games and experiences that people love.

Obligatory "look at all the places our people have worked" slide. 

alums.thumb.PNG.5105d8cebbd389ebe78911aee1ecc160.PNG

Pretty sure Andy got a nice paycheck from this. I'm still not super clear on what Atari bought. Maybe they know better. Maybe it will increase the value of Fred's bag of random shit he's picked up portfolio. 

A Letter From Our CEO

Welcome. I'm Andy Kleinman, Founder and CEO of Wonder. I want to tell you why we exist and why your curiosity and support mean the world to us.

Everyone at Wonder loves video games, movies, television shows, comic books and discovering new innovative products and gadgets. The world is filled with people like us. PLAY is in our DNA. We enjoy talking about movies as much as we enjoy watching them. We love mastering the mechanics of a game as much as we love playing it. We feel an emotional connection with the ideas, products or services that we care about.

There are millions of us out there, who not only appreciate being different from the rest, but also want to help set the course for future innovation. The special thing about the community that Wonder is building is that we know our users will be the ones that will help us improve and get better over time.

So that's where we're starting - with our users. If any of this resonates with you, stick around for a while and see what we have in store. Because the more of you who join the ride, the better position we'll be in to innovate, iterate and deliver wonder. Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Err, Wonder are the mob that insinuated they would make a gaming phone, that morphed over the years to a game subscription service like Ouya trialed at one point.
I had been part of Wonders Alpha program and on their forum. After many year of delivering nothing and being hammered by all their community , they came up with that gaming OS service.
By then the whole community had deserted them.  I think they even shut down their forum.  
They tried to get Phone companies to pick up the OS and put on their phones. But no one touched it.  It was kind of pointless IMO

Now Atari has taken it up - Lol

BTW, Wonder started with a $14Million investment several years ago.  Some of the notable investors were: Nolan Bushnell and  Shakira

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4