IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

On 2/9/2020 at 9:25 PM, AtariLeaf said:

John Phelan is back! And naked.....for some reason ?

Not the first fooking time ... and it won't be the fooking last.

dirtyjohn.thumb.jpg.2478beca855203cc65e530c2a03f5a54.jpg

On 2/11/2020 at 1:10 AM, KaeruYojimbo said:

Unfortunately, Atari is a little short on cash at the moment, so E.T.'s refund will be paid entirely in unsold speakerhats.ethats.jpg.990efdbda69d7e2779f4a19bed41e2f1.jpg

But didn't they bury the huge backlog of Atacohats in the desert somewhere, due to rushed development and piss-poor sales?

badumtss.gif.ca19c1970cb42f14c96f05c80062e150.gif

20 hours ago, vcoleiro1 said:

Err, Wonder are the mob that insinuated they would make a gaming phone, that morphed over the years to a game subscription service like Ouya trialed at one point.
I had been part of Wonders Alpha program and on their forum. After many year of delivering nothing and being hammered by all their community , they came up with that gaming OS service.
By then the whole community had deserted them.  I think they even shut down their forum.  
They tried to get Phone companies to pick up the OS and put on their phones. But no one touched it.  It was kind of pointless IMO

Now Atari has taken it up - Lol

BTW, Wonder started with a $14Million investment several years ago.  Some of the notable investors were: Nolan Bushnell and  Shakira

Thanks for the back story @vcoleiro1.  Now it makes complete sense why they bought BlunderOS.

cheep.gif.b56caf71bfb2ef43545869633768c112.gif

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

I know it is a Photoshop job, but perhaps now is the time to also enable Stevie Wonder as their spokesperson.

UzyAH5Z.jpg

I think Stevie could even see through this acquisition!

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, frankodragon said:

With all the "stuff" that they're going to add to in the last minute, I'll have to agree with this post on the Farcebook forums.

image.png.74d57ac5c5ce639fd7916de875f72de5.png

LOL.  I'm sure Walmart is really sweating not having this thing on their shelves.   And Gamestop has enough problems 

already without taking in another product that won't sell.

• Like 7

... this comment by VM pretty much nails this latest Atari 'Good News Everyone!' (It helps if you read that with a Professor Farnsworth voice) announcement right on its head.

In reading it it seems Atari is pleased to announce their buying a platform to get their foot in the door with the mobile gaming market. Which Arzt is probably ecstatic about as his driving motivation seems to be getting Atari stock values up just long enough for him to cash out and scamper. Reading a few of the Indiegogo posts it seems at least some of the Atari Box backers are a little less then impressed with Atari looking at expanding into new markets when they have yet to deliver anything to those still waiting on their already much delayed 'un-console'.

Perhaps as was suggested, Atari should concentrate on finally producing an Atari Box before worrying about the potential for cross-platform sales.

At least that is how you would do it if you were honestly trying to build a system you intended to support. If you are just continuously and desperately chasing a buck then of course you are always looking for the next sale rather then worrying about those who's money you already have pocketed.

I certainly would be worried as a backer that Atari is already seemingly back-burnering their own product before it is even finished. It certainly does not look promising for how well or long they intend to support it; provided it does even reach market.

clip.jpg

Edited by Tavi
Puncuation for once, rather the spelling errors.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

So what's the point of this? Atari has trouble with execution. Is it yet another attempt to juice the stock? Some kind of tax dodge? Are they planning on doing something with this tech which hasn't been able to bootstrap itself into a workable product? 

There was some vague promise of maybe showing how it might interact with VCS, but it all seems like the Quartermann column of the old game magazines: innuendo and rumors, nothing solid. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, The Historian said:

Nope,... 10 year exclusive rights with the option to buy out the company.

WonderOS doesn't get paid unless Atari uses the technology and turns a profit with it. 

Ouch >_<

That is a terrible deal. I am thinking they must have been starstruck with the once-prestigious name 'Atari' and failed to do any due diligence into what the company has actually been doing (or failing at, to be more accurate). At this point I am not sure Atari could find a way to turn a profit selling ice cold water in a desert, so WonderOS banking on anything resembling a cut of these non-existent Atari profits is a grim prospect.

Either that, and perhaps slightly hilariously, each one signed with the expectation the other will bail them out of their companies problems.

That at least has the potential for some serious entertainment!

• Like 6

Even the die hard un-console fans subconsciously don't appear to have high expectations on the VCShoebox gamming capabilities and it's imaginary titles. ? 

Online multiplayer Pong?  3D Frogs N Flies? ?

Gents, It's 2020, not 1920!  But ... who am I to argue.  Each to their own.   At least you can have comfort in knowing that if the Pong server goes down, you can relax in your comfy smoking chair and listen to some Bing Crosby on the radiogram. ?

werner.thumb.JPG.4ea539c7e7903d4c7a4b81cd95eca3dc.JPG

wackygames.thumb.JPG.9d1da849df0cc5ceb973ceefd6af918e.JPG

pongserverdown.gif.c0654fe77144261a00c2b85467ef5769.gif

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Those are nice collections. I prefer digital so I wouldn't have to change discs. Don't forget Volume 3, which has Mattel and Atari 800 games on it. The Switch and Vita versions have everything in one package.  

Atari Vault (on Steam now) already has online multiplayer, for Pong and everything else. There's never anyone online randomly playing, though. So the VCS fans will still need to bring their own friends and schedule their "gamming" appointments. 

Luckily for Atari, electronic fun is frozen in time and nothing new has been invented or attempted since 1976. /s

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, 8Bitjunkie said:

Got my Atari bomb diggity today...
20 Euro (22$) all together.

Atari returns to my living room: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before. Today!

9a2ac601-f4a6-4261-8e6e-f4606b5da298.thumb.jpg.901b00a06bd69880cac6402f85bb8654.jpg

?  Now just chuck that PS4 into a shoebox .... and your done.  Might as well close this thread now.

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Atari Vault (on Steam now) already has online multiplayer, for Pong and everything else.

Well, I did not know that.  That takes a little wind out of my uninformed sail on my last cheeky post. ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Atari Vault (on Steam now) already has online multiplayer, for Pong and everything else. There's never anyone online randomly playing, though. So the VCS fans will still need to bring their own friends and schedule their "gamming" appointments.

I've played games of Pong online with random people.

OK. One game with one random person.

Actually, only half a game. The random person bailed early.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just popped in to state the obvious:

AtariSA mentioned back in December that the release was delayed by "weeks, not months". (Note the plural).

Well since we are in February it means that 2 months (plural) have in fact soon passed and they have yet again lied/screwed up/burnt their tacos.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Raticon said:

Just popped in to state the obvious:

AtariSA mentioned back in December that the release was delayed by "weeks, not months". (Note the plural).

Well since we are in February it means that 2 months (plural) have in fact soon passed and they have yet again lied/screwed up/burnt their tacos.

Sure they said "weeks not months" but they could be counting the year in weeks and not months so technically they haven't lied yet :)

Is it end of Summer yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7