IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

To be fair, it's not only Atari SA that's been affected by this but other companies like Apple as well...

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-airpod-shortage-wuhan-coronavirus-2020-2?op=1

But with the VCS having been delayed with BS excuses by FauxTari many times before...no wonder why people think it's yet another one as well.

If I were a backer, I'd be really concerned.   If Chinese companies can't fill huge orders from companies like Apple, small orders like this one almost certainly won't be on the radar.  

• Like 4

On 2/16/2020 at 2:30 AM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

?  I sent a request to join, I had to, not sure I will be accepted, was expecting some admin question like "Why do you love the AtariVCS?" as that can be set up as an option

for potential members. IF I get accepted should be hilarious monitoring all the AtariVCS cheer leading. ?

Capture.thumb.PNG.f56eb047b58ff8fa544b2f9935699cb2.PNG

The Group description is interesting ? Somehow I am doubting the OPEN DISCUSSION part.....

Discussion group for AtariVCS - Early Adopters - Indiegogo Supporters - pre-orders, general product enthusiasts and anyone sick and tired of companies and their endorsers blocking conversation to provide a false narrative.
This group is for genuinely open conversation about the product, information available, backer satisfaction, questions and concerns. This group does not operate on an agenda to deceive anyone, provide false information, or promote a particular viewpoint.
This group is for backers and supporters of a new Atari hardware product, currently suggested as the Atari VCS. This group is open to anyone who has been banned from the Atari VCS page, or the dictatorial Atari VCS supporters page, both of which are run simply to provide propaganda for a project that has been backer funded and refuses to communicate real progress. ??

Welcome to the page, btw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Welcome to the page, btw.

Thanks...Is it yours? or are you another member? I was approved later after my last post. I did look around a bit, despite the group name I was surprised to see many posts and comments actually pretty balanced and realistic, so far at least. Should be interesting. 

• Like 4

Just now, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Thanks...Is it yours? or are you another member? I was approved later after my last post. I did look around a bit, despite the group name I was surprised to see many posts and comments actually pretty balanced and realistic, so far at least. Should be interesting. 

not the owner, but a mod (such as it were)- your approval timing was largely coincidental.  :) i was being cheeky and probably should've used an emoticon in my reply in retrospect so i didn't come off unnecessarily rude.

it's not a huge group and for sure won't win any hearts, but it's out there for those of us that wanted to kick around and have reasonable discussions about console.  not perfect, but we try to keep it as neutral as we can.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, digdugnate said:

not the owner, but a mod (such as it were)- your approval timing was largely coincidental.  :) i was being cheeky and probably should've used an emoticon in my reply in retrospect so i didn't come off unnecessarily rude.

it's not a huge group and for sure won't win any hearts, but it's out there for those of us that wanted to kick around and have reasonable discussions about console.  not perfect, but we try to keep it as neutral as we can.

The existence of that page is a thorn in the side for people who believe Atari can do no wrong.   Neither they nor Atari can censor the conversation, and that infuriates them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

The existence of that page is a thorn in the side for people who believe Atari can do no wrong.   Neither they nor Atari can censor the conversation, and that infuriates them. 

It's appreciated.  :) 

In the 'not necessarily the news' department, I noticed that you could still preorder the 400/800 from GameStop, but the bundle and the controller/joystick are not available.  Walmart's preorder page says basically 'we're not responsible for any info on here, this is what they provided us'.

March 2nd is two weeks from now- I'm wondering how long before the 'oh by the way, moving the goal posts again.  it will TOTALLY be worth the wait you guys!' messaging goes out.  Their IndieNono page still says 'Prototype' for stage and 'March 2020' for backers.  ?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

To be fair, it's not only Atari SA that's been affected by this but other companies like Apple as well...

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-airpod-shortage-wuhan-coronavirus-2020-2?op=1

But with the VCS having been delayed with BS excuses by FauxTari many times before...no wonder why people think it's yet another one as well.

If Atari had actually been on schedule, then manufacturing for backers should have been finished before the virus-related delays.  The units were supposed to be delivered right now ("weeks not months") so they should have been on a transport boat before the delays became an issue.  Spectrum ZX Next is delivering to backers literally right now in spite of the virus and previous delays.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, digdugnate said:

As it should be. 

9 hours ago, Agillig said:

As is my Sub-Reddit. I mean they could have stayed in there if they hadn't banned someone for posting factual content they didn't like. But you know they went and created their own Sub-Reddit. I hear it's very active and popular. 

• Like 7

On 2/15/2020 at 3:03 AM, TankedThomas said:

Atari can't build the VCS without their tools. ;)

... or their tool box.

586032595_conversetoolbox.jpg.9c71abf5e987ca13a0462df68585bfe5.jpg

On 2/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, Scotterpop said:

0C153775-9A1E-4B36-A017-697476A85A54.jpeg

fakehah.gif.e81ed19d02dfe2d29a35f4fefa74f1a0.gif

On 2/16/2020 at 11:45 PM, Agillig said:

What is that running on?

Converse.  Size 11's.

On 2/17/2020 at 6:16 AM, TheVgaTv said:

The constant delays and general lack of progress got me thinking what I've accomplished in the last year and a half since their crowd funding ended.

I released the first book in my zombie novel series 3 days after their campaign ended.  I just released book 20 today.

Started a Facebook Fan page and grew it to nearly 2,100 as of today

I completely redesigned and released all 6 volumes of the Atari 2600 Encyclopedia (1,700+ total pages)

Completed 52 more episodes of the Atari 2600 Encyclopedia video series

Moved twice

Drove 65,000 miles for my day job, photographing 150 sites across 22 states, and spending about 180 days on the road

Meanwhile the Atari crew got $3 million dollars and just recently got a device that would turn on.....

... and without any visible power cord.

meanwhile.gif.70a2c6be0e0e8109881c22bdc7c74c72.gif

James ?  Please don't get our boy started!  JAMES!?

James.thumb.JPG.8984a2bb0fa30332496fa2bc2eb47fdf.JPG

Doh. ?

BH.thumb.JPG.7d83f7630b5ea09f331d93770e85e2b7.JPG

toolate.gif.816e6a2c6d854d114c24960a0c1e9869.gif

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, The Historian said:

As it should be. 

As is my Sub-Reddit. I mean they could have stayed in there if they hadn't banned someone for posting factual content they didn't like. But you know they went and created their own Sub-Reddit. I hear it's very active and popular. 

Some things are still a novel concept. Whether it is taking money before you can play the system, or not letting things just roll off you. They can still try to censor or shut people up crying victim. However, once its released then there is nothing to hide anymore. In stead of worrying about the 'haters' or 'trolls', they should have put more time into completing the project. It will either be good or everyone who backed it will get a banana cream pie in their face and wish they had listened. ??

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, 1001lives said:

What are the odds from people in the know (you guys) that this thing actually launches soon? The production photos seem like a very small limited run, like hundreds of units, and not set up for large numbers of orders (like, in the thousands or tens of thousands).

I'm not in the know, but I say the chances are slightly higher than zero.   Even without the Kung Flu, it seemed pretty unlikely Atari would make the March release date. Now, even if Atari had a fully developed console, ready to manufacture, I don't think it gets made thanks to the situation in China.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 1001lives said:

What are the odds from people in the know (you guys) that this thing actually launches soon? The production photos seem like a very small limited run, like hundreds of units, and not set up for large numbers of orders (like, in the thousands or tens of thousands).

Considering that they still haven't even officially started the production phase of the project, I'd guess June at the earliest.  Although, if they know they'll deliver in the next quarter then it's kind of baffling as to why they don't just go ahead and switch the Indiegogo project to "production" status now to make people feel better.  They claim to be working on production-related tasks, so it's odd that they're still listing it in prototype status. 

They've posted update after update without ever changing the project status even though they keep claiming to be about ready to finish production and deliver.

13376603_Screenshot2020-02-1807_30_54.thumb.png.4aecc760905c8b0b29f0825e7f99d28c.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

4steroids
A5teroids
Hmm, I'm stuck. The possibilities may not be that endless after all... ?

What do you mean? This old cartridge has 66 games on it!

b_Asteroids_Color_front.jpg

To be clear, the box CONTAINS ONE CARTRIDGE

b_Sears_Asteroids_front.jpg

Considering the leaps in computing power since 1981, would it be unreasonable to expect a billion times more games in the new machine? 

• Haha 10

The main reason I ask... I worked in manufacturing circuit boards for boat engines for a while (and marine electrical systems.) I saw similar PCB assembly tables. And the time I spent in Ningbo, China was limited, but from the production tables I saw in Atari's update they are equipped to, perhaps, produce 50-100 units a month, with 10 or so units a day. And they list this as "pre-production" so these aren't even production units they were showing. 

And they have at least 11,000 orders to fulfill.

The facilities (sorry 3 tables) they pictured are in no way designed or equipped to manufacture 10,000 production units of anything. Not before 2022 anyway. And currently I'm hearing that a lot of facilities are not going to be fully open for at least another 2 weeks according to what the government is having them do due to the flu.

Edited by 1001lives
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5