IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

21 hours ago, digdugnate said:

looks like they'll be at some esports show thingy in NYC this weekend with 'two fully playable and ready-for-action VCS'. 

We're totally hanging out with BIG NAMES and COOL KIDS. You'll be able to see how poorly the VCS handles Fortnite compared to real gaming platforms!

tenor.gif?itemid=8203746

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

image.thumb.png.a2a116d24e317dd4f8410cfa6ef5e789.png

I like how Mr. Gaeta thinks if they start production on Wednesday, 2/26, they can start shipping Monday, 3/2

Then changes it to... 4-6 weeks?

If they started full production today, not pre-production, it'll take weeks to finish and weeks longer to ship and weeks longer to arrive ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 1001lives said:

image.thumb.png.a2a116d24e317dd4f8410cfa6ef5e789.png

I like how Mr. Gaeta thinks if they start production on Wednesday, 2/26, they can start shipping Monday, 3/2

Then changes it to... 4-6 weeks?

If they started full production today, not pre-production, it'll take weeks to finish and weeks longer to ship and weeks longer to arrive ?

I am thinking May is a the absolute soonest anything could be delivered to backers.

Just a few weeks ago their update mentioned that they had just produced another handful of Atari Box developer test units. Which I am certainly no expert on console production and design, but to me it sounds like while they are perhaps closer now to 'Production' then 'Prototype', actual mass production seems like it is still a ways off yet.

Sea freight time alone from China to the US is 4 to 6 weeks, putting Atari over their 'Weeks not Months' March 31st delivery deadline right there.

The only thing I am curious about is why Atari is putting off announcing this latest new delay. Atari certainly knows they have to move their delivery goalpost yet again, and the backers have to know that there is now no possibility of them having product in hand by March 31st. So if everyone involved knows otherwise, I fail to see what purpose is there in still pretending they still might meet their March 31st delivery date?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Tavi said:

I am thinking May is a the absolute soonest anything could be delivered to backers.

Just a few weeks ago their update mentioned that they had just produced another handful of Atari Box developer test units. Which I am certainly no expert on console production and design, but to me it sounds like while they are perhaps closer now to 'Production' then 'Prototype', actual mass production seems like it is still a ways off yet.

Sea freight time alone from China to the US is 4 to 6 weeks, putting Atari over their 'Weeks not Months' March 31st delivery deadline right there.

The only thing I am curious about is why Atari is putting off announcing this latest new delay. Atari certainly knows they have to move their delivery goalpost yet again, and the backers have to know that there is now no possibility of them having product in hand by March 31st. So if everyone involved knows otherwise, I fail to see what purpose is there in still pretending they still might meet their March 31st delivery date?

"Hmm...well, May and March both start with MA, so let's just pretend that we always meant to say May!"

My guess is that they are scrambling to figure out a response that won't have them eating it again and adding to their list of Greatest Delay Hits ("end of Summer", "this December," "weeks not months," etc.). Although I would think they'd be more than happy to use the virus as a means to mention in some kind of delay, so it's a little perplexing that they haven't jumped all over that. Then again, their incompetence never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Tavi said:

Keep in mind that the PS5 and Xbox Series X dev kits have been in developers' hands since last year and neither console is due out until the end of this year. 

As for why they're delaying the announcement of a delay... Well, they've done it every other time. I figure they just like leading people on for as long as possible so that their noses keep growing. Maybe Fred has some kind of weird Pinocchio fetish. 

Also, that Raspberry Pi comment is dumb. I got a Pi Zero just over a week ago. The MSRP is US$5 (though you'll rarely find them in-stock that cheap). Even that can play most retro games from the 70s and 80s with ease. 

Heck, I tried out things such as BMC64 and ZXmini (or whatever it's officially called) and best I could tell, they run as well as the real machines but with more options and flexibility.

And that's the low-end Raspberry Pi. 

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

"Hmm...well, May and March both start with MA, so let's just pretend that we always meant to say May!"

My guess is that they are scrambling to figure out a response that won't have them eating it again and adding to their list of Greatest Delay Hits ("end of Summer", "this December," "weeks not months," etc.). Although I would think they'd be more than happy to use the virus as a means to mention in some kind of delay, so it's a little perplexing that they haven't jumped all over that. Then again, their incompetence never ceases to amaze me.

I am suspecting it is in part because as soon as they say 'Don't blame us, blame COVID-19!' people will quite rightly and quickly point out they were not even close to being production ready before the outbreak occurred.

So it would be a pretty half-assed excuse. But despite how flimsy it is, it is also the best (only?) excuse they have for announcing yet another missed deadline and new delay. Thus I am expecting them to run with it anyways at some point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tavi said:

I think January is perfectly possible. January 2021, of course. ?

They're in a tight spot. Nobody really knows what's happening next with COVID-19. Someone from the US CDC suggested that similar quarantine procedures could be necessary in North America if things got worse. I don't begrudge them for not giving a new ship date that they know is wrong, or not communicating when they have nothing new to share. They've already squeezed 3 small Medium updates out of one semi-substantial milestone, and they haven't moved their IGG thing into "Production" yet.

Another reason to delay: "Atari's" fiscal year is ending in just over a month. They just won a big judgment against a t-shirt manufacturer, $4.75M worth of trademark/copyright penalties and $98K in legal fee recovery. The t-shirt company doesn't have that money and won't pay, but it tells a good story on the "Atari" balance sheet. Better yet for Fred, it's some black ink for their portfolio if someone wants to acquire them. "Atari" has a standing arrangement with a legal bounty hunter to go after more trophies, many of which are already in play. They might as well wait right up until March 29th, after all potential ships have come in, before showing any business weaknesses with regards to "Atari VCS." "Atari" stock, like much of the global market, is in a slump right now. "When it comes to Atari VCS, no news is good news" is the least of their troubles. 

The Toy Association CEO says

“On the heels of achieving the U.S.-China Phase One trade deal, our members are faced with more uncertainty through extended suspension of work in both toy factories and elsewhere in the essential vertical supply chain that has made China an important global toy manufacturing hub. If the Chinese government continues to suspend work and prevent travel between provinces, workers will certainly be negatively impacted, the toy economy disrupted, and the global economy damaged.”

We've seen bigger electronics manufacturers announce they expect slow shipments or constrained supplies. 

So long as "Atari" does right by all the people who ponied up money in advance, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to put a pin in this stupid escapade. They could quit before they get further underwater, blame it on COVID-19 (better than blaming Feargal or Wyatt or Arzt), and be grateful if it doesn't take down their whole trademark-custodian company. ??

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I think January is perfectly possible. January 2021, of course. ?

They're in a tight spot. Nobody really knows what's happening next with COVID-19. Someone from the US CDC suggested that similar quarantine procedures could be necessary in North America if things got worse. I don't begrudge them for not giving a new ship date that they know is wrong, or not communicating when they have nothing new to share. They've already squeezed 3 small Medium updates out of one semi-substantial milestone, and they haven't moved their IGG thing into "Production" yet.

Another reason to delay: "Atari's" fiscal year is ending in just over a month. They just won a big judgment against a t-shirt manufacturer, $4.75M worth of trademark/copyright penalties and $98K in legal fee recovery. The t-shirt company doesn't have that money and won't pay, but it tells a good story on the "Atari" balance sheet. Better yet for Fred, it's some black ink for their portfolio if someone wants to acquire them. "Atari" has a standing arrangement with a legal bounty hunter to go after more trophies, many of which are already in play. They might as well wait right up until March 29th, after all potential ships have come in, before showing any business weaknesses with regards to "Atari VCS." "Atari" stock, like much of the global market, is in a slump right now. "When it comes to Atari VCS, no news is good news" is the least of their troubles. 

The Toy Association CEO says

We've seen bigger electronics manufacturers announce they expect slow shipments or constrained supplies. 

So long as "Atari" does right by all the people who ponied up money in advance, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to put a pin in this stupid escapade. They could quit before they get further underwater, blame it on COVID-19 (better than blaming Feargal or Wyatt or Arzt), and be grateful if it doesn't take down their whole trademark-custodian company. ??

I agree completely, however they could lower the pigeon backlash about more delays, by being a bit more open about HOW Covid-19 has effected their factory.  Give some details.  Which parts or processes are affected and possibly WHY.  What stage were they up to before the outbreak. It shows some honest and open communication that they have lacked for along time.  Rather then be vague, as they have been, consequently resorting in a mass influx of tin foil hats into the pigeons nest ..... and in our taco thread as well.

Or maybe it really is just simply dishonesty, obfuscation, greed, smoke, mirrors and no taco's.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Isn't that like saying a Unicorn can beat any thoroughbred racehorse? 

:roll: (x Infinity)

Naah, it's saying that a unicorn can beat a midget pony whose main virtues are that it's cheap and doesn't eat much. It's certainly not quick.

They've already come to the realization that their unicorn would get left for dust by an actual racehorse, even if it existed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tavi said:

I'm sure Atari is hoping to be able to package their next delay update with something as equally underwhelming as Antstream and Wonder.

• Like 3