IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

Found a couple of videos on YouTube from "pimpmyconsole". I don't believe these have been shared yet.

The information conveyed here is... misleading at best. Amusing to watch, just for all the inaccuracies though. "It's essentially a jailbroken console." :dunce:

At least it's actually plugged in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdYHWE_vnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MuRvSaTnTI

And Werner, since I know you're reading this thread, here's my parts list again to prove you wrong: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8YghK4

And the other one (which is now cheaper than the first - it was previously more expensive): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cmk7vW

Suck it.

Oh man, those vids were painful to watch. So glad I didn’t back this thing. UI is my unimpressive, controller is wired and NO exclusive games. Why would anyone not nostalgic for Atari buy this? 

At this point sell us the shell and let the modding and homebrew community have at it...it would be more polished than this train wreck.

Thanks for posting those links!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

Well, everyone can relax.   The reason those 35 year old games didn't run right is because the Atari VCS is no where close to being finished.   Ummm...yay?

20200301_080958.jpg

I had a 120mhz candybar phone with windows CE that could run NES games over a decade ago

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

Well, everyone can relax.   The reason those 35 year old games didn't run right is because the Atari VCS is no where close to being finished.   Ummm...yay?

20200301_080958.jpg

Too bad we've already established that it's only sheer incompetence which would cause that. 

Oh, and the Atari guy in the video I posted said it'll probably be out in April. Too bad the social media team didn't get that message!

Not that this unfinished travesty will be out then, either. 

Which reminds me - they had blurred-out FCC numbers in one of the recent Medium posts. Don't know why they'd blur them out, maybe legal reasons, but is it possible to look up the FCC registrar to see if they indeed filed with them, or would we not know for sure (e.g. it's kept secret for X amount of time or we can't search by company/product name)?

I'm not entirely sure how the FCC works but it'd be interesting to know if that were a ruse. Surely not at this point, but...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cybercylon said:

Maybe something was posted many pages back, but has anyone actually met this Stefan Werner?

I'm sure he's a real person, if that's what you're implying.   If Atari was going to make a sock puppet account to spew propaganda, I'd think they'd give it a less toxic personality. 

• Like 5

What I want to know is, how does New Atari justify that the delays are the fault of China when having only an alleged prototype at the live event? If a finalized machine is ready for production (like the initial March release date) in China, there is no reason a FINAL model wouldn't be on display at Dcave. Atari should not be able to have it both ways of blaming China AND marginalizing @accounts' reported review of what was played.

The 2020 Atari VCS should be a heavy sixer from ebay, and a Harmony cart. You might even have left over funds to get it video mod upgraded. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@roots.genoaOh...I just noticed the FREXIT (above)...(Saying no more, I assure you).

I'm glad ColecoJoe posted Werner's review, so I could read it.

Strangely, even with nothing but the rosiest of colored glasses, his viewpoint was kind of interesting.  And,   whether blaming The Virus or not, even he now questions delivery dates, etc.

2 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

@roots.genoaOh...I just noticed the FREXIT (above)...(Saying no more, I assure you).

I'm glad ColecoJoe posted Werner's review, so I could read it.

Strangely, even with nothing but the rosiest of colored glasses, it was kind of interesting.  And,   whether blaming The Virus or not, even he now questions delivery dates, etc.

Yeah, even tough "the March deadline isn't very achievable" is quite mild. I mean it's achievable or it's not.

I also love the "Everything I saw looked clearer, better, and faster than running Atari Vault on Steam". Maybe he has a shitty PC but I really don't see why it would be clearer and better.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

ABC14C61-09E1-4203-8F1F-8040750C169E.thumb.png.83e66796e732b8f62ec5485dffa74bef.png

What a butt-kissing shill.

Around 0:20 you can hear someone yelling an f-bomb.

Unfortunately he stopped short of asking The Question...He said (something to the effect of) Are These Games specific to this console?  IMO, What he Needed to say is "What Games ARE specific to this console?"

The Silence would have been deafening.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Unfortunately he stopped short of asking The Question...He said (something to the effect of) Are These Games specific to this console?  IMO, What he Needed to say is "What Games ARE specific to this console?"

The Silence would have been deafening.

I think they've pretty much given up on having exclusive games.   They're probably going to go full bore "PC for your tv" at this point.   

Honestly, if you made me president of Atari and told me to salvage this turd, that's what I would do.   They don't have big IP's of their own to draw mainstream audiences.  AAA Third party developers aren't going to develop exclusives for a system that has 11,000 users.  

What's ironic, is that we've been complaining that Atari hasn't let anyone play the VCS. This weekend they did that, and that may have been a fatal mistake. 

As a reminder, the Atari VCS prototype can't even play Pong.

Pong, for crying out loud!

• Like 8

I think they've pretty much given up on having exclusive games.   They're probably going to go full bore "PC for your tv" at this point.   

Honestly, if you made me president of Atari and told me to salvage this turd, that's what I would do.   They don't have big IP's of their own to draw mainstream audiences.  AAA Third party developers aren't going to develop exclusives for a system that has 11,000 users.  

What's ironic, is that we've been complaining that Atari hasn't let anyone play the VCS. This weekend they did that, and that may have been a fatal mistake. 

As a reminder, the Atari VCS prototype can't even play Pong.

Pong, for crying out loud!

I honestly don’t believe this iteration of Atari can produce the 11,000+ units for the backers. I feel for those that forked over their money for this debacle... like you so eloquently stated...it can’t even play pong ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarioMan88 said:

I honestly don’t believe this iteration of Atari can produce the 11,000+ units for the backers. I feel for those that forked over their money for this debacle... like you so eloquently stated...it can’t even play pong ?

I guess the 3 million dollar question is whether they have enough money to get those consoles paid for.  The problem is they aren't going to bring in any new revenue for shipping consoles to backers.   They already have that money, and probably wasted it.  One solution, and one that's bound to infuriate backers is to make a small batch of consoles and ship them to retailers.   Then use the profit from those consoles to pay for consoles to send backers. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I guess the 3 million dollar question is whether they have enough money to get those consoles paid for.  The problem is they aren't going to bring in any new revenue for shipping consoles to backers.   They already have that money, and probably wasted it.  One solution, and one that's bound to infuriate backers is to make a small batch of consoles and ship them to retailers.   Then use the profit from those consoles to pay for consoles to send backers. 

They are going to be SOL when no one buys the VCS at retail stores and they get blown out at 1/4th of their price on clearance... lol

• Haha 3

I just saw something, none of you have seen before.  My best friend was here over the weekend and we chatted with our friend at Atari, he showed me his system, sitting on top of another system, which was a system testing hardware box.  Stress testing, I guess.  I will ask him, if it is cool to share the pic some time.

• Like 5

Werner is a goober - not very sharp, and technically inept. He's impressed with things that can't even be proven, and things that you can do on any old PC but he doesn't know how to do. "Shill" is probably too nice a name for him. 

Definitely sounds like he's got a crap PC, and the equivalent skills to boot. Dude's comparing a cheap Logitech controller to a more expensive one. No surprise the more expensive one is better. Buy an Xbox One controller for your PC, Werner - it'll blow your mind. 

But enough ragging on him. I got Atari Vault from the Fanatical bundle the other day, but it's a good thing I wanted the other three games because wow, what a crappy, half-assed compilation.

If it weren't for the arcade games, I'd probably say my original Flashback is better, and it certainly made me want to pick up my 2600 and play that instead (but it needs repairs first, unfortunately). 

But at least I could play Pong. And it ran on Linux. 

So much for being the VCS' killer app.

Edited by TankedThomas
  • Like 3