IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

I like how they deleted this guy's questions twice before finally just answering him.

1180636791_Screenshot2020-03-0303_40_48.thumb.png.b751f04b8a184e2269048c8783a210d0.png

Here's the thing:

1) By their own admission, they're not ready to produce consoles. Atari has stated on that very same account that what they showed in New York was just a prototype.  It stands to reason that for the grand unveiling they'd bring the most up to date model of the system they have.  But what they've produced is apparently buggy and no where close to being ready to ship.  That's not something they can blame on the Coronavirus.  That's Atari not knowing how to develop a console.

2) Even under optimal conditions, unless Atari has already started manufacturing consoles, they won't have them to backers in 28 days or less.

So, just answer the question.  If consoles aren't being made right now, or haven't already been made, they're not going to make the March 31 release date.  It's that simple.  This is the exact same type of thing that causes people not to trust Atari.

I'd almost have a degree of respect for Atari if they just came out and laid everything on the table.  Give a long winded explanation of what the product started out as, the detours they faced, the mistakes they made (that's a big thing to do if you want to establish credibility), and just give an honest, no B.S. assessment of where the project stands at this moment.   Atari doesn't need to "monitor the uncertain situation".  They know they're not going to make the March 31 date.  We all know that.  What we don't know is how far they're going to miss it by, but I'm sure Atari has a better idea.  If it's 6 months, just say it.  If you have no idea, might as well come out and say that too.

And blaming Power-A is a jerk move also.  When you buy an X-Box One controller, you generally see two brands on shelves- Microsoft and Power-A.  Microsoft ones cost twice as much as Power-A, but unless you're strapped for cash, you don't think twice about getting the Microsoft one.  The reason?  Because Power-A sucks.  Period.  If Werner was blown away by the Power-A controller he should try an X-Box Elite controller.  It will have him reconsidering everything he thought he knew about the universe.  So Atari went with the lowest bidder, and now whines that Power-A can't get parts on can't produce a controller that works with Pong?  There's a shocker.  That's like buying an LJN game for the NES and finding out its rubbish.   There are certain unwritten rules actual gamers know.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

A bit of Atari news today.

It seems they are releasing a mobile version of Missile Command, being called 'Missile Command: Recharged' and is being released this spring.

I am willing to bet the Atari Box supporters are going to be rather irate that Atari seems to have found the staff, time and resources to design new games to chase that big mobile gaming market money; but have absolutely nothing for designing anything 'exclusive' for their Atari Box system.

It certainly does not look promising for the longevity of the system when it is not even out of prototype stage yet and it seems Atari is already moving on to developing other projects.

It seems for Atari that chasing new revenue is a much higher priority then honouring their existing commitments is.

Addendum: There is a short animated GIF in the article that shows the mobile Missile Command app. Not personally appealing but I imagine they will still make a few bucks off it.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/3/21162288/atari-missile-command-recharged-android-ios

Edited by Tavi
adding an addendum
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tavi said:

I am willing to bet the Atari Box supporters are going to be rather irate that Atari seems to have found the staff, time and resources to design new games to chase that big mobile gaming market money; but have absolutely nothing for designing anything 'exclusive' for their Atari Box system.

WRONG!!!

1163933362_ScreenShot2020-03-03at11_56_40AM.thumb.png.a88794f0bdc89c80a7acdc0487d3d0ea.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

On 2/28/2020 at 3:20 AM, Flojomojo said:

Next time you post a stool sample, can we get a spoiler/NSFW tag, please? That one had nuts in it and everything. 

?

793634257_stoolsample.thumb.jpg.1df3081f2b57495f85a904aec336ce54.jpg821349506_eyeroll.gif.77aee94609c395beb75ad2a098730807.gif

On 2/29/2020 at 3:12 AM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I wonder - unless a Linux version is in the works, are they going to be running it in WINE shell out of the box?

Awinebox?

Awinebox.png.ae1c4348ddb57cbb1c8fe5eba13831ab.png

On 3/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, GoldLeader said:

Awww Come'on fellas,  Ya can't game, stream, and connect like never before if you're still using all those same speeds they've been using in the past.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:49 AM, Agillig said:

So you can't even play Pong on it?  Stuart Varney is not going to be happy!

20200301_154540.jpg

1665224587_atarit16.jpg.39223d29948e2f9f0d36e085ce48ac8e.jpg

meanwhile.gif.79844bed7d832fb6719f2f7872881e1b.gif

In Awinebox financial news ....  as expected, Atari's ROCE is sinking.

You got that right Mr Peterson!

completeunits.JPG.39beccc10d533d1b01ef690328a02475.JPG

fredandartzunits.thumb.jpg.fe175b640c5e2eadec4433594b3cc095.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, ColecoJoe said:

WRONG!!!

1163933362_ScreenShot2020-03-03at11_56_40AM.thumb.png.a88794f0bdc89c80a7acdc0487d3d0ea.png

Haha, I guess I stand corrected then.

Apparently at least some are quite pleased by this news; which I find rather surprising. I would have suspected there would have been at least a few 'So where are our games for the Atari Box?' queries.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tavi said:

A bit of Atari news today.

It seems they are releasing a mobile version of Missile Command, being called 'Missile Command: Recharged' and is being released this spring.

Kind of looks like the Breakout reboot shown for the Amico. Why are the missile bunkers little boxes instead of hills? Seems an odd choice. Nice explosions, at least.

But IMHO, the only good revival of Missile Command was Missile Command 3D on the Jag, and then only in the Virtual mode. Recharged doesn't look like it'll take that crown away.

4 minutes ago, Tavi said:

Apparently at least some are quite pleased by this news; which I find rather surprising. I would have suspected there would have been at least a few 'So where are our games for the Atari Box?' queries.

This has long baffled me about these self-proclaimed "true" fans. Atari has published multiple games over the three years that we've been at this, and they don't seem concerned that Atari has announced none of them for the supposed revival console.

No Roller Coaster Tycoon

No Night Driver (still listed as "Release Date TBD" on their website)

No Ninja Golf

No Haunted House (ok, this was 2014, but still)

and now no Missile Command.

They're just fine with the Atari Mega Vault for their $300+ un-gaming machine. That makes no sense to me, apart from they must figure that asking Atari to make content for their console is asking too much??

12 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

Awinebox?

Awinebox.png.ae1c4348ddb57cbb1c8fe5eba13831ab.png

tenor.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=13959677

• Like 6

17 hours ago, JeffVav said:

Incidentally, I did supply a patch on my website for 80-in-1 to fix the bugged menus... http://vavasour.ca/jeff/games.html#atari80  Yeah, the website is super-dated.  Sorry.

That's a blast from the past!  I remember visiting your page and downloading the patch years ago over a 56k modem.  I still have the 80 games disc sitting in a box somewhere.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Well, given how terrible STD and Pukehard are, they fit as perfect metaphors with the slow motion train wreck over at Atari HQ!

tenor.gif

No argument from me.

1598300798_treklaugh.gif.c8868687e8ad65018af60395eb440d3a.gif

• Like 4