IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I feel it's important not to get too worked up about "special editions" of things that don't exist yet

16 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Maybe there's a curse on companies that make stupid claims about their strengths relative to Nintendo.

This all sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

• Haha 12

33 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

They had a whole *two* Nuon-enhanced DVDs, too. But at least they weren't annoyingly aggressive in the lead-up to launch. 

Except for the big "project X" logo stomping on a bloodied Mario hat. Maybe there's a curse on companies that make stupid claims about their strengths relative to Nintendo. 

I've got a Samsung unit, Tempest 3000, Freefall, and a controller that I really need to sell off before it stops working! 

Yeah, check it fast. Last time I tried to fire up my N2000, it wasn't reading discs. My Toshiba NUONs still worked, last time I tried them. 

The NUON thing got me to rent Bedazzled. It was mildly interesting what it could do, but not much more than the out-of-the-box useless features like super zoom and strobe. I recall that they were touting that NUON players would be connected to the net and allow you to purchase things you saw in the film - they would use an example like Tom Cruise's spy glasses from M:I2. Of course that and data save cards never made the cut. 

My favorite claims were that it was super easy to port games from the PC, PSX and Dreamcast, where games could only take about two months to port. If so, how come we never got any of that? Or there were the rumors about it's voxel and raytracing powers...which you only got to see in the demo disc well after it was dead (and they were interesting, but not if you liked good framerates)/

At least they never proclaimed to GAME, STREAM AND CONNECT LIKE NEVER BEFORE!!!! 

tenor.gif?itemid=10678359

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added a little somethin'
  • Haha 7

Oh yeah, I never tried the Doom port (nor rented Buckaroo Banzai), which was allegedly ported over the course of a weekend.

Although I guess that in reality, the NUON was the first "unconsole," since someone at VML made the decision that it was supposed to be a DVD player first and game console maybe second.

As for the VCS, crappy PC first, crappy console second.

tenor.gif?itemid=11060018

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mockduck said:

You are nearing Reddit-levels of dumbassery. Up next - 4Chan!

I think I can speak with authority in saying that Atari themselves set that level for dumbassery on Reddit...  I mean let's be honest... what kind of genius manages to get booted from a subreddit dedicated to their own project?

Edited by The Historian
  • Haha 19

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Keep up the great work, fools, in proving again and again your own obliviousness to your idiocy. You are nearing Reddit-levels of dumbassery. Up next - 4Chan!

I think your VCS FAQ and Info thread is a little outdated. You might want to update it or Atari may come in, throw a fit, sue you over misinformation, and/or ban you from FB or something. Hate for them to accuse you of something like they did the Register.

• Like 5

On 3/3/2020 at 3:30 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Kind of looks like the Breakout reboot shown for the Amico. Why are the missile bunkers little boxes instead of hills? Seems an odd choice. Nice explosions, at least.

This has long baffled me about these self-proclaimed "true" fans. Atari has published multiple games over the three years that we've been at this, and they don't seem concerned that Atari has announced none of them for the supposed revival console.

No Roller Coaster Tycoon

No Night Driver (still listed as "Release Date TBD" on their website)

No Ninja Golf

No Haunted House (ok, this was 2014, but still)

and now no Missile Command.

They're just fine with the Atari Mega Vault for their $300+ un-gaming machine. That makes no sense to me, apart from they must figure that asking Atari to make content for their console is asking too much??

This...  All the "remakes" are not only appearing on mobile devices but also on the "competing" Amico.  The only thing the VCS will ship with is the same games that already come on a much cheaper Atari Flashback along with some web based apps like Antstream.  Hell, you might as well wipe the drive to boot Windows or Linux that has more games to go straight to Sandbox Mode.

Not to mention that they sold off all the gaming IP they've owned not included in Atari Vault/Flashback which could have been on the VCS and driven away Unity developers, so what's left??

On 3/3/2020 at 3:54 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Does this mean that we need to start calling the VCS the "Shatbox" now? Or Dreckbox?

tenor.gif?itemid=16146234

tumblr_nmvegwxX371u0zuyso1_500.gif

"Why get just an Atari VCS later on when you can buy any other computer NOW?"

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Except for the big "project X" logo stomping on a bloodied Mario hat. Maybe there's a curse on companies that make stupid claims about their strengths relative to Nintendo. 

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

This all sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

6050448260_ecd43bd549_z.jpg

Those who never learn from history end up repeating it... :(

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

You guys better quit alluding to my beloved Konix Multisystem like this or I'll tell!

tissue.gif.e52897dbd0b77f80eb1a03af1da822b5.gifcrying.gif.7cedbd84ac9dd6fb7e1ac55230366507.gif

3 hours ago, toiletunes said:

wtf.gif.9c100fbc209c80ea7041fad14ac51b6d.gif

Don't know whether to clap, laugh or act bemused!?  ..................  OK.  It's about taco's.  I'll clap then ... but only a little one.

clap.gif.88f980dbd8333b94229ccc59dfe9a7dd.gif

You certainly know when Ataco's "now news is goods news" analogy is holding true, by the steady increase in news-to-memes ratio in here.  We should add that to the Awinebox stock market pie charts.  Maybe a daily Taco count.  "The taco is down 3 points today but could have a late rally before closing, depending on what lies the Atari intern has to say about China."

flop.gif.1353a941bd03e0fd9aa0f2a1b788c14d.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Does anyone know which factory the VCS is being produced in? At the risk of delving into politics again, several factories in both central and especially Eastern China have been indicted in a report by an Australian NGO regarding the export of Uighurs from Western China for the use of slave labour. Factories that appear to have benefited include anything to do with screens (pretty much every mobile phone company has been mentioned as being in the forced labour chain) including the Nintendo Switch. Several others that produce electronic boards has also been labelled, but as their customers tend to be less famous they haven't necessarily been outed. I don't know if any of the financial reports on atari specificly lists where in China it is the VCS is being made, but if It has engaged with a "work program" it is likely also guilty. 

Also, atari vault is decent, I appreciate the interface for game selection is clunky for those used to playing on console, but for an all round experience its brilliant. If you could do another 50 games I'd snap it up! 

• Like 1

In the case of Atari, I doubt it matters if they would get outed for slave labour, child labour, toxic chemicals or anything else. They have the small set of preorders, and possibly a few casual orders through Walmart online and GameStop unless they go under before the VCS is available. Not like bad press would harm Atari, because there is almost nothing to harm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Would I be considered a "hater" if I point out we're literally weeks, not months, from the commercial release?

If Atari was honest in any of this, their consoles would've shipped before COVID-19 was even known to be a thing.

But I guess they "call it hardware because it's hard", and not because it's a physical piece of equipment.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Not to mention that they sold off all the gaming IP they've owned not included in Atari Vault/Flashback which could have been on the VCS and driven away Unity developers, so what's left??

Angry Birds? Flappy Bird clones? Fart apps? People will still pay to play Pong, right?

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

People will still pay to play Pong, right?

As much as I want to say "the jury is still out on that one," Atari dropped the Foot Pong lawsuit against Target. You can look at the court documents here. The original complaint is kinda funny.

I have to wonder if there will be ongoing legal trademark/patent implications for ... the company holding the lost luggage of Atari. They just won a big judgment against a little t-shirt printer, but their lawsuit against Hyperkin over the look and feel of Retron77 is still in process. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

As much as I want to say "the jury is still out on that one," Atari dropped the Foot Pong lawsuit against Target. You can look at the court documents here. The original complaint is kinda funny.

I have to wonder if there will be ongoing legal trademark/patent implications for ... the company holding the lost luggage of Atari. They just won a big judgment against a little t-shirt printer, but their lawsuit against Hyperkin over the look and feel of Retron77 is still in process. 

These have to have been blows to New Atari's ego:

THIRTEENTH AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE (Not Famous) Plaintiff’s claims are barred, in whole or in part, because Plaintiff’s alleged Joystick Designation of Origin and Console Designation of Origin are not famous.

EIGHTEENTH AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE  (Plaintiff is Not the Owner of the Asserted Rights)  Plaintiff claims are barred, in whole or in part, because Plaintiff is not the owner and/or did not acquire any right, title or interest in the asserted Joystick Designation of Origin or Console Designation of Origin.

• Like 11