IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Oh dear, people who align themselves with Atari now are completely deluded about the brand's ability to generate any amounts of money at a time like this.
Hotels are closing, investors are not investing, people are clutching on to savings. Atari could not be in a worse market situation. Atari is trying to peddle a product and brand that no one cares about. I see nothing but a large burning fire when this is released, then anyone that was interested in "partnering" with Atari will be trying to distance themselves as far as possible.

So anyone actually buying this is going to buy the fully loaded version, almost $400 in the garbage,
oh and I like this "Made in USA." Release Date: 12/31/2020
well that's great, just in time for the January boxingday liquidation sales and in no way missing the holliday shopping season.

Atari is just buying time to get in more pre-orders because when this hits the shelves, i expect many many youtube reviews to be filled with very over the top vile reviews, not to mention full teardowns exposing cheap components (future allegedly)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jamm said:

Wow - I'd never heard that.  How anyone could've heard that interview and come away still believing Atari had the competence to produce anything is beyond me.

Yep, that's the problem with this and similar projects. Just add enough surface gloss to an old familiar face and name, and it's as if many people see only what they want to see. Especially when the loudest cheerleaders (often with a profit motive) only want happy thoughts and good news. 

• Like 9

^ Speaking of "surface Gloss" I thought this thing was going to be a matte finish, not that glossy plastic they built the first 500 "proof units"
I have a glossy cheap console here, it was sold as the "INTERACT" kinda like a cheap Xavix, glossy plastic makes it look cheap, and the amount of scratches that show up are numerous. Atari update talks about all those "defects" well if they had matte plastic i bet most of those would not be noticeable. Also I have a suspicion that those defects are not because of poor manufacturing, but plainly poor design, even the iPhone 3G plastic was cracking.
Why Atari thinks that getting the first 500 units to devs is going to help them is pure unadulterated cool-aid. Anyone that gets this is going to youtube with a review. I do not see how Atari can force a NDA on anyone now, they paid for the product it was not supplied a a evaluation unit.

And this is the thing that gets me, why not let people choose if they want matte or glossy? To me it appears that glossy is less labour intensive, so why not just throw those out?

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Yep, that's the problem with this and similar projects. Just add enough surface gloss to an old familiar face and name, and it's as if many people see only what they want to see. Especially when the loudest cheerleaders (often with a profit motive) only want happy thoughts and good news. 

Can't wait. ;)

• Like 7

Interesting, I didn't even know this Ataribox/VCS project was still extant. . . thought it was just another Kickstarter flop that crapped out 1-2 years ago.

Isn't this like pushing/towing a ditched race car to the finish line?  Why are they doing this. . . to declare quarterly capital losses for tax reasons or what?  I don't understand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, patroclus99 said:

Interesting, I didn't even know this Ataribox/VCS project was still extant. . . thought it was just another Kickstarter flop that crapped out 1-2 years ago.

Yep.

21 minutes ago, patroclus99 said:

Why are they doing this. . . to declare quarterly capital losses for tax reasons or what?  I don't understand.

You had it right the first time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, patroclus99 said:

Isn't this like pushing/towing a ditched race car to the finish line?  Why are they doing this. . . to declare quarterly capital losses for tax reasons or what?  I don't understand.

The general consensus is that they were looking for a buyout by bragging about this great new product they had.  The new owners of Atari would get stuck making the thing.

No one took the bait, so now Atari is on the hook for making the system.   They haven't been able to deliver anything except delays, excuses, and a hilariously bad social media presence. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Agillig said:

The general consensus is that they were looking for a buyout by bragging about this great new product they had.  The new owners of Atari would get stuck making the thing.

No one took the bait, so now Atari is on the hook for making the system.   They haven't been able to deliver anything except delays, excuses, and a hilariously bad social media presence. 

Give them a f#cking break Agy!  They HAVE raised the profile of Taco deliciousness twenty fold you know.  ?

tacotime.gif.f950ea2e6fb9ddc6fc778c78fddc4225.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Need a relaxing woodgrain foot bath, and the sound of some running water and other ambient noises and they could open a retro themed spa to go with their hotels.

oldmancrazy.gif.fa0c9f384ffb1f60c7af11ee2a5774df.gifcrazy.gif.4eaafedb619da65f60e477b8a5f42da3.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

A few months ago, they said "weeks not months."

"I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn’t have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

14 hours ago, frankodragon said:

ataco_hotels.thumb.jpg.e339569e7af066f0cfcc9be48643dc75.jpg

Enjoy our lobby while our bellhops carry and go through your luggage destroying all competitor items like Nintendo Switches.

That painting on the wall ..... sometimes it's just the little things.

clap.gif.05fae143f04d6a6d959f6ba53d0cd5b8.gif

... and as there's diddlysquat on the Ashoebox front,

443758123_atarit18.jpg.37822cffcd46bfb77723008bf3e89037.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:16 AM, Spriggy said:

cactus.jpg.48224adf7d11e2219daadebb9eea99a9.jpg

On 3/29/2020 at 7:46 AM, MrBeefy said:

Need a relaxing woodgrain foot bath, and the sound of some running water and other ambient noises and they could open a retro themed spa to go with their hotels.

Am I the only one who thinks that all of that sounds Way Cooler than anything Atari would actually come up with?

• Haha 8