IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

4 hours ago, toiletunes said:

Impprtant announcement:

With the stay at home stuff and all, I seem to have put on a few pounds, so I'm switching to taco salads for the duration. 

Any updates for a release date? I'm curious how much weight I'll lose before release.

20200408_135914.jpg

Depends - how much sour cream are you planning to dump on that after having posted the picture? ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tavi said:

It seems to be a reoccurring pattern at Atari, refusing to pay their bills and/or re-writing signed contracts to their advantage, forcing it to go to court and then settling out for less then what was actually owed.

I can see why Atari does it, why pay everything you owe someone when you can force them to settle for considerably less rather then the hassle of fighting it out in court forever, but you would think soon they are going to burn enough bridges that they will get to a point where no-one will be willing to sign a deal with them. If you know they will quite happily knife you in the back first chance they get if they think it will save them a buck, that reputation would make it challenging to find people willing to work for you I would think.

Yep, it's a page ripped from how Jack Tramiel did business.

In other words...

Atari (Corp.) Is Back!

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

Yep, it's a page ripped from how Jack Tramiel did business.

In other words...

Atari (Corp.) Is Back!

I wonder? ?  *Chesnais rips off face mask*

Imback.thumb.jpg.e023ffcd0f196754c04af720a43a4ab5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

On 4/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2020/04/08/atari_vcs_architect_sues/

While some is the same info we knew about, there was this new tidbit that you can throw onto the enormous pile of examples of "Atari refusing to pay out promises"

Wyatt and Conuladh are not the only people who claimed to have been ripped off by Atari. We have spoken to a contestant on a short-lived TV game show that was developed by Atari, and based on one of its classic games. This contestant won their episode, though said they never received the prize money despite repeated requests.

The details are sufficiently vague as to make fact-checking impossible, but I wonder if this was a pilot for a game show that never aired. It would not surprise me if the contestant's contract provided for winnings to be paid only if/when the show actually aired. If this game show was never broadcast, it would not have generated any advertising revenue -- which may have been the intended source of the prize money. I am certainly not an Atari supporter, but I think that this particular claim is over-reaching. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jhd said:

The details are sufficiently vague as to make fact-checking impossible, but I wonder if this was a pilot for a game show that never aired. It would not surprise me if the contestant's contract provided for winnings to be paid only if/when the show actually aired. If this game show was never broadcast, it would not have generated any advertising revenue -- which may have been the intended source of the prize money. I am certainly not an Atari supporter, but I think that this particular claim is over-reaching. 

True, there are facts there which would need vetting. Although I would be far more prone to trusting El Reg's source on this given how thoroughly they have documented their encounters with Atari, than to dismiss it outright. I likewise have an anecdotal story from a game developer friend of mine who worked for a studio that did release an Atari published product. They likewise screwed them over in payment. So while it is anecdotal without a source and details on the show, it fits the wider pattern that goes beyond two different console architects getting screwed over. At the end of the day, their stories - and lawsuits - speak volumes (likewise the owners of the Rollercoaster Tycoon IP suing Atari for failure to pay out promised amounts).

• Like 5

They also screwed over Curt Vendel, so they have a proven track record here.

I know I've read about the game show non-payment before. Maybe it was linked to in the comments of one of the Register pieces.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jhd said:

Agreed in the sense that this is hearsay; the statement in the article is shoddy and unprofessional.  Nobody that calls themselves a journalist would have included that until it was fact-checked, verified, and substantiated.  I'm firmly on team taco, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

• Like 2

Ok, time to do some research. ;) By what I can find, El Reg is backed up in the claim, I'm just wondering why they didn't chose to mention the specific show or name of the contestant.

Here's a webpage for Atari Studios. Per the admission of this page, episodes aired for Codebreaker:

image.thumb.png.75d9bd43731d53a09924cfd88a940162.png

CODEBREAKER was announced in June 2017.  Per this, and the page above, the show had limited airings in the U.K. and Poland in 2018

Further evidence that filming with contestants did take place, per this sizzle reel. Not finding episodes on YT, although not everything gets uploaded to YT either:

For the PlayerUp show, it doesn't mention that episodes aired, but uses the word "produced." If they haven't aired, could be that they've been shopping the show around or trying to find a service to steam them on. Looks like it's all limited to Europe though:

image.png.a845732dca11b6a60ee44c2d6948fcf2.png

Assuming that there was 1 winner per episode across the two shows, that means that there were at least 36 contestants that would have been promised some kind of winning from Atari. Either that one person that El Reg talked to was the only one who didn't get paid, or Atari is owing 36 people for promised winnings. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
expanded on some info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

I remember now...the woman looking for Atari to pay up had posted on Atari's Facebook page early in the VCS fiasco.

I remember thinking that was an odd place for her to post, but I guess she was trying anything at that point. It'd be a needle in a haystack trying to find it again at this point, if Atari didn't delete it.

• Like 4

If Atari is this cheap, imagine the experience staying in an Atari Hotel room!
You go to enjoy a deep sleep after a day of travelling, you pull the covers over your head, only to be greeted by a foul smell, then you realise that they did not change the sheets, brown runny stains on the bottom side of the matress, pee in the shower, rotting Taco in the mini fridge, used soap still in the dish!
(Future Allegedly)

Sorry, im stuck inside and my brain is running wild. If it was not for internet I would have lost it loooong time ago.

I could imagine an Atari branded vending machine in the loby of one of these Hotels, it would be programmed to rip off every 10th person so that they can claim an increase in profits. (Future Allegedly)

• Haha 4

Jessie, if you don't want me to hack your account and spend your money on chicken wings and mystique games, say something.  If you don't respond to this post, I'll take it as a sign that you want me to do exactly that.

• Haha 12

2 hours ago, PunksJumpUp said:

Check out David Halliday's epic meltdown on IGG.  I don't want to screen shot it here because it has a few f-bombs in it.

It's gone, which means Atari is monitoring the page.   But they didn't respond to Scroggins' post, so clearly that means production is starting soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Anyone wanna sell thier Dev Kit unit that they received? I might be willing to pay up to....

"One Million Dollars" for it!

Muhahahahahahh! Muhahahahhhahah! MoooHahahahahhah!

*I'm not trying to impersonate Dr. Evil, Just laughing about the chances this thing actually existing and actually being delivered anytime this decade.