IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

4 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

... uh... but I was using Mosaic/Netscape in 1994. On the internet. Two years earlier than that.

I guess he's on a different planet :)

In 95 after getting tired of text only internet from the city library terminal service we got a "shared" dialup account split up between a couple buddies heh

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

I've tried to have meaningful conversations with the Atari Zealots on the IGG page and on Facebook. If you don't declare complete allegiance to Fred and his company that bought the Atari name, they just pile on the insults and anger. 

How dare you ask reasonable questions. I've never met such terrible group think in my life. All over an un-console for Netflix moms.

Clearly the vocal fanbase for the VCS (II) need to chill out and find new hobbies.

Just my opinion. 

I've seen the convos over time, and your right.  But we also aren't innocent and have shaken the cage so often that some of the "zealots" are simply rebelling.  Human nature and expected.  "Roll up, Roll up.  Come and see the shit show.  But please be aware ... due to technical difficulties and a global panademic, you may be waiting in line for quite some time!"  Rinse and repeat. :roll:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Osgeld said:

In 95 after getting tired of text only internet from the city library terminal service we got a "shared" dialup account split up between a couple buddies heh

Ha, me and a few college friends had a similar 'shared' dialup account.  :)  Ah, those were the days...

My feet are tired while standing in line for the Ataribox- if there were only some kind of device that would help ease my foot fatigue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Ha, me and a few college friends had a similar 'shared' dialup account.  :)  Ah, those were the days...

My feet are tired while standing in line for the Ataribox- if there were only some kind of device that would help ease my foot fatigue.

I could make an intelligent amicable suggestion... ?

• Haha 8

If anyone still cares, there was an exciting update today to get backers' hopes up unnecessarily.   MASS PRODUCTION (of 500 units) IS UNDERWAY!

20200423_191028.thumb.jpg.58a2fc63cc6a54e515f7f96922c95c5f.jpg

20200423_191047.thumb.jpg.939effb737e78cc475c8748fcce159a7.jpg

Notice, it says the Indiegogo header page has been updated to show the system is officially in the production stage.  Excellent!  Let's take a look!

20200423_191111.thumb.jpg.11c81bab579d6085e0b2b13aeae76c25.jpg

(Sad trombone noises)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

Isn't this essentially the same update as from a month ago? They have 500 units going to developers and assorted sycophants, and full production is somewhere in the unspecified future? They still can't even 100% promise they're coming this year.

Screenshot_20200423-194551.thumb.png.4b024aa81da352be2a85e8fc0ab81b41.png

Edited by racerx
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, racerx said:

Isn't this essentially the same update as from a month ago? They have 500 units going to developers and assorted sycophants, and full production is somewhere in the unspecified future? They still can't even 100% promise they're coming this year.

It sounds like it's the same update except now they're treating as a bigger deal than last time.  Atari's post above really tells us all we need to know about how close this is to release - Atari has absolutely no idea. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, racerx said:

Oh, years, not weeks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

This is curious,

I have been locked out of commenting on IGG again, so I lodged a complaint. Here is their response:

Hi Chopsus,

Thank you for checking in about this campaign. At this time, the campaign, ‘Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before’, is under review to ensure that it adheres to our Terms of Use.

So what happens now? We will include the information you have provided along with all other information at our disposal in our review of the campaign. In some cases, we will contact the campaign owner for more information or have them edit their campaign and it will remain on our platform. If we find the project or campaign owner doesn't follow our rules, we may remove the campaign. We may also restrict the campaign owner's future activities on Indiegogo.

To protect our users' privacy, we're unable to share the action we take. At Indiegogo, we take the trust and safety of our community very seriously and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding throughout this review process. 

To learn more about Indiegogo’s Trust & Safety effort, please visit: www.indiegogo.com/trust. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us and for helping to keep Indiegogo a safe and secure platform.

Regards,
Brian
Trust and Safety
Indiegogo|

Edited by Chopsus
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

This is curious,

I have been locked out of commenting on IGG again, so I lodged a complaint. Here is their response:

Hi Chopsus,

Thank you for checking in about this campaign. At this time, the campaign, ‘Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before’, is under review to ensure that it adheres to our Terms of Use.

So what happens now? We will include the information you have provided along with all other information at our disposal in our review of the campaign. In some cases, we will contact the campaign owner for more information or have them edit their campaign and it will remain on our platform. If we find the project or campaign owner doesn't follow our rules, we may remove the campaign. We may also restrict the campaign owner's future activities on Indiegogo.

To protect our users' privacy, we're unable to share the action we take. At Indiegogo, we take the trust and safety of our community very seriously and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding throughout this review process. 

To learn more about Indiegogo’s Trust & Safety effort, please visit: www.indiegogo.com/trust. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us and for helping to keep Indiegogo a safe and secure platform.

Regards,
Brian
Trust and Safety
Indiegogo|

Very interesting.
So IF indigogo removes the Atari campaign...

...THAN Atari could blaim indigogo for not being able to deliver the units to the backers whitout the Indigogo platform...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Chopsus said:

This is curious,

Hi Chopsus,

Regards,
Brian
Trust and Safety
Indiegogo|

Atari it seems is a very slow learner.

They already got their hand slapped on Reddit for doing this exact same thing; muting and deleting anyone who dared to speak of the Atari Box with anything less then fanatical praise, leading to the rather hilarious situation where Atari was stripped of mod status in their own Reddit for abusing it.

It would be nice if Indiegogo rapped Atari's knuckles as well, but I really cannot see Atari caring much. They already have the backers money, so anything Indiegogo does at this point is likely going to be met with little more then a shrug by Atari.

Update #28 is pretty underwhelming. Five weeks since update #27, and the update is essentially Atari announcing they are finally getting around to assembling the parts they have been sitting on for the last month and some. Oh, and a reminder that no backers are getting a unit from this batch.

"These important Atari VCS Onyx systems are mainly earmarked for additional content developers, merchant and distributor samples and other critical business uses such as standard reliability testing, in advance of the full 10,000 unit run"

One year, four months behind schedule and still no word from Atari when backer units will be produced and shipped. I am not surprised a few of the Atari Box backers are getting a little irate.

Edited by Tavi
Spelling again
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, frankodragon said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ataco's creation is just very low-end raspberry pi.  Something like this in the video:

funny it looks like an apple (bandai) pippen 

2012-11-18-pippin.jpeg

guess if one is to invoke random retro awesomeness and make it seem fresh retro, make it a clone of a system no one bought, like a jag renamed coleco ... hm excuse me, I need to start on my hyperscan set-top box android clone campaign 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, godslabrat said:

500 units for developers, eh?  If we assumed each dev would get two units, that would mean Atari had recruited 250 developers.  

So, Atari... why can't you name any of them?

Methinks they misplaced the decimal point. 5 developers would be more accurate to what they've bothered to reveal.

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

Mr. Wiener must have a bone to pick to those calling the Atacobox a "console" besides calling it vaporware. 

image.png.4acb559dc4cc7a5c402de4f9707d9682.png

Lol. So in saying it's not a console, he immediately has to try and defend why it is a fun living room console that'll certainly have games because Steam! 

The intent of every console is to bring fun to the living room. Does anyone in their right mind seriously believe that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo sell their consoles so that people don't have fun with them? 

Good thing that Andrew isn't crafting the central message of marketing this thing to the public for Atari, otherwise he's setting up some lofty expectations that would result in a lawsuit. 1) His implication is that Steam will come pre-installed on the VCS, whereas the reality is that you need to purchase an external storage solution, download and install Steam, then hope that the games you want to play have minimum requirements to the level where the game will actually work. 2) Saying something like modern games+the Steam library (thousands of games) run "quite nicely" or "great" on this is very misleading. Sure, indie games that could run on a flip phone from 2001 will work on it. Minecraft & Fortnite don't need a lot of power, but they are already on everything and they don't sell hardware. But "modern games" like Doom Eternal, Red Dead Redemption 2 or Cyberpunk 2077? LOL. The only entertaining thing one could possibly expect out of those games on a VCS is watching videos to see how low the settings have to be for the game to run in the high single digits.  

At least maybe this thing will finally be crawling across the finish line soon so the nonsense can come to a close. After the Shills crow about it arriving in their hands for a week or two, then reality will set in that no one beyond the 11,000 backers (well, less than that, since many of those just bought the joystick) gives a crap about this. No "Netflix mom" will be chomping at the bit to replace their far cheaper Rokus/FireTVs/SmartTVs/etc. and when the holiday season arrives, the main systems that people will be discussing and wanting to get for their kids for Christmas are going to be the shiny new consoles from Microsoft & Sony. Throw in some tacos and that's where you'll bring fun to the living room.

• Like 8