IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 hours ago, jamm said:

You can't undercut something that doesn't exist.

The fact Atari gave the green light for this thing, knowing it would interest the same group of people the VCS is targeting seems to be more evidence the VCS is no where near completion.   Afterall, it wouldn't make sense to sell a 99 dollar model when you supposedly are going to release a 300 dollar model that is only marginally better.  It kinda reminds me of the 32X debacle, except in reverse. 

• Like 7

Atari, the type of company to put a review embargo on a product that has not shipped 1 unit.

Atari should just slap a NOAC on a board and make a special "collector" edition of the flashbacks, slap that sucker in the shell that they spend so much "heart and thought" to design and lay this turd to rest. At least the backers will get a collection piece, adn after all that is exactly what they wanted. IF they wanted to play games they would have put the money into PC upgrades.

Remember people, you DONATED to Atari, and now due to the plague they have a smoking gun reason to ship you an empty box and say "thanks for sticking by us but due to the unforseen global disaster we have decided not to go forward with mass production"

Here is a coupon for %10 off on a weekend stay at one of our future branded Atari *Hotels.

(*Motel**)

(**Airbnb)

• Haha 9

10 hours ago, OCAT said:

Atari, the type of company to put a review embargo on a product that has not shipped 1 unit.

Atari should just slap a NOAC on a board and make a special "collector" edition of the flashbacks, slap that sucker in the shell that they spend so much "heart and thought" to design and lay this turd to rest. At least the backers will get a collection piece, adn after all that is exactly what they wanted. IF they wanted to play games they would have put the money into PC upgrades.

Remember people, you DONATED to Atari, and now due to the plague they have a smoking gun reason to ship you an empty box and say "thanks for sticking by us but due to the unforseen global disaster we have decided not to go forward with mass production"

Here is a coupon for %10 off on a weekend stay at one of our future branded Atari *Hotels.

(*Motel**)

(**Airbnb)

They must have 500 of these stocked somewhere.

Atari Flashback (Mini 7800) | nIGHTFALL Blog ...

And what it's like to play one? 

affluenza cast GIF

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Have any of these so-called developers come forward to say they have a functional unit in hand?

They have shown one board and six terrible shells, so I’m guessing the production side is not communicating well with marketing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

I guess this is news.

Screenshot_20200520-133728_Twitter.jpg

I wonder if this is going to be used by Atari as one fulfilling one of of their Indiegogo 'Backer Updates' that they put out every 5 weeks or so. Seriously stretching their obligation to Indiegogo backers: "Indiegogo expects campaign owners to post updates on their Indiegogo campaign at least once a month, both while your campaign is live and after it ends until all perks are completely fulfilled."

The did manage to milk announcing having the parts to build 500 units (and that no backer was getting one of them) into covering two updates; 'Good news! We have parts to make 500 Units!' and then 'Good news! We have now decided to assemble the parts to make 500 units!'. Oh, and 'Good news! Indiegogo backers will not get any of the 500!

Which brings me to an interesting aside, if I can wander into Amico territory for a bit. Tommy has stated in a recent OEB Pete interview (May 18th, 2nd video at 19:25) that there are going to be around 100 test units manufactured; including their Dev Kit units. This makes me very curious as to why Atari wants 500 test units; or around 5% of what they need to produce to fulfill their Indiegogo commitments. Granted I have never manufactured a console before (But then neither has Arzt), but reserving 5% of your production run for testing and development purposes seems highly excessive.

Two scenarios come to mind to explain this. A) Atari is pulling off a massive coup, and is planning on coming out swinging with building five times the consoles and developing five times games of the Amico, or B) Atari is once again being highly misleading about what they are really up to.

I know which choice I would put my money on.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

In theory, they could sell them for $1 and still profit.  After all, if you don't make them, you have zero production costs.

I want a  free Speaker Hat and a 25% coupon for an a Atari hotel breakfast buffet, or no dice.

Edited by fultonbot
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2020 at 5:46 PM, Kaboomer said:

Just curious (and adding to this thread may help...), is this the longest thread on AA forums? ;)

Almost certainly. Ironically, another of the longest threads in AA history was probably the one about another crowdfunding disaster. The Coleco Chameleon.

AA likes disastrous crowdfunding. It pays the bills around here.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TACODON said:

I guess this is news.

Screenshot_20200520-133728_Twitter.jpg

I don't understand how the supporters aren't calling for blood right now.  Apparently the virus hasn't brought EVERYTHING to a screeching halt.  Anyone still inside the FB group who can explain their feelings on this?  Lucas, maybe?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I don't understand how the supporters aren't calling for blood right now. 

They totally take everything Atari says at face value.  I guess they keep overlooking the obvious because they can't admit to themselves that they made a bad decision backing the project and/or that their beloved brand has turned into shit.  This is just from the comments on the Atari VCS official Facebook page:

834503294_Screenshot2020-05-2019_04_58.png.ba738ed9a6c378f067b2b54cc1d0ed6a.png

905550372_Screenshot2020-05-2019_08_56.png.f259b100d2cd930e2c8dc33c3c8299f6.png

• Like 4

HAHA at this point if I blow $300 on loto tickets at least i am getting something in return as opposed to nothing but LIES, Deception and Strung along a terrible ride.

It is like 6-Flags where I live (called La-Ronde) people already bought NON-Refundable season passes/ prepaid passes (confirmed no refunds) and the lines were TERRIBLE to begin with, like in 1 day of waiting you can only get on 4 decent rides (tea cup does not count as a ride), imagine NOW? with the 2 meter rule AND the %25 ride capacity and disinfection after each pass? HAHAHAHA 1 ride per day.

Atari is no different, all this waiting and at the end.. nothing.

REMEMBER.... YOU PAID FOR THIS, WILLINGLY!

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

For all of it,

The whole debacle, from the very first announcement,    Which you may remember was met with enthusiasm here (at first) ...To me, it's Not the waiting;  Not the delays.   In many respects, those would be expected by-products of such a venture,  and I'll even say, as Extremely disappointing as it was to hear this would be crowdfunded,...That wasn't it....I mean, I wouldn't buy one, but there have been Awesome products that started life as crowdfunded ventures...

For Me,

It's:  The lies, the deceptions, the half truths, the mismanagement, the Lack of Vision, the Spite, the lawsuits, the lack of a game plan, the name, the specs, the OS, the shell, the joystick, the other joystick, the unpaid workers, the attempted theft of other peoples' work, the attempted outsourcing, the not so clever timeline slogans, the scapegoats, the misinformation, the weeks (not months), the lack of updates, the deletions, the gall, the pimping and hype of something not yet made, the premature TV appearances, the motel room across the street, the fanboys, the "unconsole", the simulated images, the "kevlar", the NDAs, the self imposed restrictions, the finger pointing at journalists, the lack of passion for video games, the dragging of a once good name through the mud, the lack of knowledge of even old Atari's products, the lack of Honest updates, the convenient excuse of a global pandemic, the lack of hardware guys, the lack of software guys, the lack of developers, the lack of games, and the constant masquerading as the exact same Atari you knew and loved from back in the day...

image.jpeg.7189d9c4f85599340fdbebe391bf8ecf.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

5 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

For all of it,

The whole debacle, from the very first announcement,    Which you may remember was met with enthusiasm here (at first) ...To me, it's Not the waiting;  Not the delays.   In many respects, those would be expected by-products of such a venture,  and I'll even say, as Extremely disappointing as it was to hear this would be crowdfunded,...That wasn't it....I mean, I wouldn't buy one, but there have been Awesome products that started life as crowdfunded ventures...

For Me,

It's:  The lies, the deceptions, the half truths, the mismanagement, the Lack of Vision, the Spite, the lawsuits, the lack of a game plan, the name, the specs, the OS, the shell, the joystick, the other joystick, the unpaid workers, the attempted theft of other peoples' work, the attempted outsourcing, the not so clever timeline slogans, the scapegoats, the misinformation, the weeks (not months), the lack of updates, the deletions, the gall, the pimping and hype of something not yet made, the premature TV appearances, the motel room across the street, the fanboys, the "unconsole", the simulated images, the "kevlar", the NDAs, the self imposed restrictions, the finger pointing at journalists, the lack of passion for video games, the dragging of a once good name through the mud, the lack of knowledge of even old Atari's products, the lack of Honest updates, the convenient excuse of a global pandemic, the lack of hardware guys, the lack of software guys, the lack of developers, the lack of games, and the constant masquerading as the exact same Atari you knew and loved from back in the day...

image.jpeg.7189d9c4f85599340fdbebe391bf8ecf.jpeg

I actually read all of it.

The NDAs? For a PC?

It's got to the point now that I'm thinking, "do you know what would have been quicker and cleaner? If they'd just designed a new Woodgrain Mini-ITX case, added some controllers, added whatever Linux overlay they want, and just threw in an Athlon 3000g. Would have had a better chance of being released by now, with slightly better performance and could be upgraded, increasing the lifespan of the units. They could have just paid ASUS, Gigabyte or one of the cheap Chinese guys to add an Atari logo to the motherboard to make it look bespoke."

So they've spent all this money (or not, depending on who they've bothered to pay) on designing a brand new motherboard by trying too much to think outside the box. There are times when thinking INSIDE the box is the better business decision.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2020 at 5:52 PM, Tavi said:

I wonder if this is going to be used by Atari as one fulfilling one of of their Indiegogo 'Backer Updates' that they put out every 5 weeks or so. Seriously stretching their obligation to Indiegogo backers: "Indiegogo expects campaign owners to post updates on their Indiegogo campaign at least once a month, both while your campaign is live and after it ends until all perks are completely fulfilled."

The did manage to milk announcing having the parts to build 500 units (and that no backer was getting one of them) into covering two updates; 'Good news! We have parts to make 500 Units!' and then 'Good news! We have now decided to assemble the parts to make 500 units!'. Oh, and 'Good news! Indiegogo backers will not get any of the 500!

Which brings me to an interesting aside, if I can wander into Amico territory for a bit. Tommy has stated in a recent OEB Pete interview (May 18th, 2nd video at 19:25) that there are going to be around 100 test units manufactured; including their Dev Kit units. This makes me very curious as to why Atari wants 500 test units; or around 5% of what they need to produce to fulfill their Indiegogo commitments. Granted I have never manufactured a console before (But then neither has Arzt), but reserving 5% of your production run for testing and development purposes seems highly excessive.

Two scenarios come to mind to explain this. A) Atari is pulling off a massive coup, and is planning on coming out swinging with building five times the consoles and developing five times games of the Amico, or B) Atari is once again being highly misleading about what they are really up to.

I know which choice I would put my money on.

I think it's 'B'.  From Family Guy: "You're a phony! A big fat phony!"  (meaning Nutari)

• Like 3